• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I don't know if it's intended (probably not) but monks can equip a weapon in offhand and get nice weapon style bonuses. You get the bonuses of both two weapon style (because fists also count as two weapon style) and one weapon style (with your offhand weapon) while still keeping your fist attack in your right hand.

I equipped my monk with an offhand weapon first and was shocked how his accuracy just jumped a ton while still having fist count as a weapon in the inventory screen. Been rolling like this for a few hours now.
I tried this and it's not working for me. My monk is only attacking with the offhand weapon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man now both the second floor of my house in Caed Nua and the inn in the first village refuse to load. It's like some great dark force is devouring all my resting spots. =(

Burt

Just finished Act II and oh my god...

Shit just got real...does the outcome differ slightly if I defended animancy? I tried to tell the duke that it needed to be reigned in and regulated properly and then Thaos comes and fucks it all up.

Edit: ^lol

Haha, there's a post of mine somewhere back in this thread that says that exact same thing about that spot.

As far as I know, the outcome of the hearings doesn't change depending on your answers. The outcomes of other things down the line though... who knows :p

ACE 1991

So I just got to Defiance Bay and I have a party of 5 (PC, Aloth, Kana, Eder, Durance). Who should I talk to in the city to round out my party? I feel like I need more DPS.

Sinatar

I have come to this thread to post an important announcement for you all as follows:

FUCK Fampyrs.

Thank you and good night.

Labadal

So I just got to Defiance Bay and I have a party of 5 (PC, Aloth, Kana, Eder, Durance). Who should I talk to in the city to round out my party? I feel like I need more DPS.

You have missed 3 companions. You can still go back and get them. There's also a companion in Defiance Bay. 2 of those companions are great at dishing out damage.

ACE 1991

You have missed 3 companions. You can still go back and get them. There's also a companion in Defiance Bay. 2 of those companions are great at dishing out damage.

Ok. Where do I have to go to pick a 6th up? Also, what do you think would round out my party? Thanks!

Brojito

Neo Member
So I was having trouble in the
Skaen Cultist Temple
so I left and changed up my party a bit. I also hired a rogue since that was the only class I didn't have yet, and DAMN. I gave her one of the named pistols (can't remember what, it does shock damage) and that sneak attack destroys enemies. The fact that it can trigger within the first two seconds of combat means that I can basically obliterate one enemy almost instantly.

Also, sidenote: what exactly is Skaen supposed to be? Pillars version of the devil? He's apparebtly some kind of god, and has worshippers, but he's not listed in the deities section of the manual.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Also, sidenote: what exactly is Skaen supposed to be? Pillars version of the devil? He's apparebtly some kind of god, and has worshippers, but he's not listed in the deities section of the manual.

He's in the lore section of the cyclopedia in-game instead of deities for some reason. He's probably the closest thing to an evil god there is- he's the seething slave, representing those who resent and wish to overthrow their masters. I don't think all of his worshippers are necessarily bad (rebels I imagine offer prayers to him) but he is malicious and ruthless.

Corpekata

Banned
Think I'm going to hold off a bit until the next patch provided it is still on track for this week.

Anyone know what determines Stronghold turns? I remember having a party member's assignment finish but it was during a bugged moment when my game crashed and that same turn took forever to trigger when I played again.

Brojito

Neo Member
Ok. Where do I have to go to pick a 6th up? Also, what do you think would round out my party? Thanks!

Paladin -
Ondras Gift in Defiance Bay
Cipher -
Dyrford Village
Druid -
along the way to Dyrford, one of the wilderness maps, I believe it's called something gorge

Probably Cipher, maybe Druid.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Holy shit, this ogre bounty is destroying me. Probably the hardest fight I've had to do so far.

Remmy2112

Do you
get to go back to Defiance Bay anytime after the end of Act 2? I fucked up and didn't do Eder's quest there after I became liked by Defiance Bay and fear being unable to finish it out. I would load the game but.. I did the Ogre bounty and no fucking way am I redoing that hellish fight. :'(

goblin

Do you
get to go back to Defiance Bay anytime after the end of Act 2? I fucked up and didn't do Eder's quest there after I became liked by Defiance Bay and fear being unable to finish it out. I would load the game but.. I did the Ogre bounty and no fucking way am I redoing that hellish fight. :'(

The gates will re-open once you get to Twin Elms so you can go back and take care of whatever you left behind there.

Holy shit, this ogre bounty is destroying me. Probably the hardest fight I've had to do so far.

Ogre Druids are currently bugged and the Plague of Insects they cast lasts forever. I had to reload a fight against a regular pack of ogres because they hit my entire party with it early on and it was the the most irritating thing.

Brojito

Neo Member
Wait, why does the heritage hill tower let me go to the very top or bottom instantly but the lighthouse makes me load through each level?

84/100

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The gates will re-open once you get to Twin Elms so you can go back and take care of whatever you left behind there.

Ogre Druids are currently bugged and the Plague of Insects they cast lasts forever. I had to reload a fight against a regular pack of ogres because they hit my entire party with it early on and it was the the most irritating thing.

I did it!!!

Took 3 tries but whew, that was fun. Don't let the high health on my tanks fool you they came close to death many times.

Wg9f9zN.jpg

Dipper145

If you go to an inn/your castle thing and get the people who have it endlessly into/out of your party it goes away.

I just finished the game right now, great game overall, definitely some problems with it too, but an enjoyable experience none the less.

Might go back eventually because I definitely missed some stuff that did not seem all that important or useful to do, but I feel like I did a majority of the stuff to do, other than certain character quests that I did not care for.
Probably will hit up the caed dungeon things that didn't appear super important at the time if I ever want to play some more.

Pancakes

Wow, that swarm of insects kept killing everyone except my player character over and over after that fight. I got very lucky he didn't get hit lol.

Anno

So has anyone found a Carsomyr/FoA/Celestial Fury caliberish weapon? I'm only 15 hours in so I'm sure they're far off, but I hope there are items that could end up as iconic.

Burt

For anyone that's beaten the game, was there a warning about the point of no return? I stupidly saved over all my slots before that point somehow in the fairly quick build up to the last boss, and it's really annoying knowing that there's so much I'd like to get at back on the outside but can't because there either wasn't a warning or I completely missed it. I want to play everything out with the benevolent status that I have, but there's no way I'm starting another run without the goal of being an unrepentant butthead.

ACE 1991

Paladin -
Ondras Gift in Defiance Bay
Cipher -
Dyrford Village
Druid -
along the way to Dyrford, one of the wilderness maps, I believe it's called something gorge

Probably Cipher, maybe Druid.

Thanks! On my way to get the Chipher now.

Anyone else playing on easy by the way? Game is still definitely not easy... I am bad at CRPGs.

Corpekata

Banned
Also questions re: defense

So, DR of 10, that means 10 resistance to the physical types right? Pierce, crush, and slash, but nothing for the elements. So enemies should by default have 0 of the element types. So when an enemy has 10 DR, 4 freeze, it is weaker to freeze than regular attacks but also even weaker to the other magic types, right?

Or is 10 across the board and freeze is their weakness? Asking because some of the gear we get has like say, 6 electric resist. Is that meant to say it is weaker to lightning?

Thanks! On my way to get the Chipher now.

Anyone else playing on easy by the way? Game is still definitely not easy... I am bad at CRPGs.

If you do a lot of side quests in the city that do not require combat and gain a couple of levels it becomes easy for the next hours until the games catches up to you again.

CoolOff

So, decided to scrap my first playthrough and write it off as a test-session.

Pale elf Bleak Walker paladin for the new save. :) Gonna piss everybody off.

Pancakes

So, decided to scrap my first playthrough and write it off as a test-session.

Pale elf Bleak Walker paladin for the new save. :) Gonna piss everybody off.

Get ready to basically focus on other characters as yours basically gets no skills to work it. 37hrs in as a Paladin and he basically uses his little fire move and weak heal every fight and that's about it.

Although if you're playing for RP then go crazy, bleakwalker is fun.

Act I spoilers and a question
I just killed Raedric and his cousing offered whatever I want to take from his vault, but I can't seem to find it. Any tip?

Sinatar

The bugs just keep on rolling. Now it won't let me change the members of my party, so there are 2 characters whose side quests I can't do now.

Perhaps taking a break until the patch isn't such a bad idea...

I just killed Raedric and his cousing offered whatever I want to take from his vault, but I can't seem to find it. Any tip?

I don't think anyone knows.
The way he says it, to me, suggests he just means to take everything not nailed down. I don't think he's pointing to a specific location.

I think I've worked out Grieving Mother's rotation.

Step A: Detonation
Step B: Blunderbuss.
Step C: Return to step A.

Varna

Not sure what is up with that myself. Might just be poor wording, but I don't think there is a vault. Seen this question asked many times in here (including by myself) and no one has an answer.

Pancakes

The way he says it, to me, suggests he just means to take everything not nailed down. I don't think he's pointing to a specific location.

Mind blades bruh, mind blades.

goblin

If you go to an inn/your castle thing and get the people who have it endlessly into/out of your party it goes away.

Yeah, you can just wait it out and let them all fall unconscious/get maimed and then rest, too, although that's not ideal.

It's having to deal with the reduced Concentration, reduced defenses and constant raw damage throughout the fight that really makes it suck.

Also questions re: defense

So, DR of 10, that means 10 resistance to the physical types right? Pierce, crush, and slash, but nothing for the elements. So enemies should by default have 0 of the element types. So when an enemy has 10 DR, 4 freeze, it is weaker to freeze than regular attacks but also even weaker to the other magic types, right?

Or is 10 across the board and freeze is their weakness? Asking because some of the gear we get has like say, 6 electric resist. Is that meant to say it is weaker to lightning?

The first DR number is the base, and then numbers after that are exceptions.

If your tank is wearing plate armor and it's got a DR of 16 (Slash: 20, Shock 6) then it's particularly strong against slashing attacks, exceptionally weak to shock, and solid against everything else.

Bestiary enemy listing should work the same way. In your example that enemy has 10 DR against everything except freeze, which it's weak to.

Annubis

So I've been thinking about how to min/max a paladin and I think I've got an idea.

18 Might
5 Constitution (gives you rogue/druid/chanter amount of health/endurance)
4 Dexterity (godlike racial)
18 Perception
15 Intelligence
18 Resolve

The low speed from dexterity can be offset with lighter armor because you won't really get hit too hard since you have 51 deflection naked at level 2 with deep faith.

marrec

Banned
which one? The one in
Endless Path 1st floor
? 'cause that one made me shudder. And if it isn't, and there's an even bigger one somewhere else... ewwwww.

(yes, I'm arachnophobic)
Different one, haven't seen the one you're talking about yet. I'm not an aracnaphobe but when it crawled onto screen I jumped just a bit.

I just took it as a permission to loot anything you see.

Not sure what is up with that myself. Might just be poor wording, but I don't think there is a vault. Seen this question asked many times in here (including by myself) and no one has an answer.

Thanks
I looted all the keep before the fight, so I guess there is nothing of value left. Now time to sell all the weapons an armors I got from the keep

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I've been thinking about how to min/max a paladin and I think I've got an idea.

18 Might
5 Constitution (gives you rogue/druid/chanter amount of health/endurance)
4 Dexterity (godlike racial)
18 Perception
15 Intelligence
18 Resolve

The low speed from dexterity can be offset with lighter armor because you won't really get hit too hard since you have 51 deflection naked at level 2 with deep faith.

Doesn't sound good. You'll get squished instantly in melee.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't tried any characters yet with super low stats in certain categories, keeping the minimum at 10-12. Maybe that's a bad idea.

Continuing my solo experiments, what's the most powerful character/build option people have found at level 3?
Spells and bows seem to cast very slowly even with high DEX, but playing a fast-attack melee seems really scary against stuff like stun-locking (early enemy spoiler)
phantoms / shadows

Some of those aforementioned enemies also have 40-50 or more deflection and reflex. How do you even reliably hit those, especially solo?

Top Bottom