• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm in act 3 now and I think this is my favorite section of the game so far. I really like
Twin Elms
and the main quest just got quite interesting.
Berath/The Pallid Knight
are totally legit, I kinda have an idea about which character I have to roll next

btw, is there any way to get rid of the infinite insect swarm? That bug is extremely annoying and I might have to wait for a patch

I also haven't had a challenging fight (hard difficulty) since the lighthouse, except for those damn ogres. In most fights I don't even have to use magic

partyboy

Have any of the devs finished the game solo? Not necessarily on the hardest difficulty. I don't see how it's possible without trying to completely game the enemy AI.

kd-z

I'm on a train ride home for Easter and all I can think about is playing some Pillarz.
Thankfully I have a PC at home that should be capable of running the game.

I'm loving playing as a Cipher. Whisper of Treason is so good. I just charmed Raedric with it a couple times so he basically helped me kill his own guard. Felt good.

goblin

btw, is there any way to get rid of the infinite insect swarm? That bug is extremely annoying and I might have to wait for a patch

I also haven't had a challenging fight (hard difficulty) since the lighthouse except for those damn ogres

You can save and load the game (in a different slot, just in case!), swap out NPCs at an inn, or just let your characters fall unconscious and get maimed then rest.

Violet_0

Banned
You can save and load the game (in a different slot, just in case!), swap out NPCs at an inn, or just let your characters fall unconscious and get maimed then rest.

I rested when I tried to get rid of it, now I don't take damage but the visual effect is still there (and the negative status effects according to the character sheet). Will try reloading, thanks. Swapping out the companions should work but my main character is also affected

kd-z

Yo, also, RPG developers now are showcasing some mad game in the "cool characters I'd like to have a drink with and chat about stuff" category. Inquisition had my man Dorian, Pillars have Eder. Both are cool bros.

goblin

I rested when I tried to get rid of it, now I don't take damage but the visual effect is still there (and the negative status effects according to the character sheet). Will try reloading, thanks. Swapping out the companions should work but my main character is also affected

Is your main character not taking damage anymore? If so, try to force attack them until they're maimed and it should hopefully go away. Good luck!

Blizzard

Banned
hathqu8i.png

The pimp hat is one of the uglier options around. I look like some sort of murderous leprechaun.

They need to color code named weapons differently than weapons. Way to easy to dump a quality item off at a vendor because you didn't realize what you picked up.

Labadal

Pretty satisfying to finally tell Durance that
he committed atrocities in the name of his god and see him shaken by it.

I herd preception was dump stat???
I have like 16 perception on my monk.

It adds deflection, interrupts and better resolve. It has also been useful in dialog.

Violet_0

Banned
ever since entering Twin Elms my formerly neutral good character has been
systematically killing off the elite of the city just because people command me to. I've kind of become a murder weapon for the various gods, Durance got nothing on me.
Interestingly, my reputation hasn't suffered from it yet

Anyone here running a Barbarian? If so are you running dual wield with them or 2H?

My Baba sucks dick at hitting anything.

my two-hand weapon wielding barbarian is quite effective. Grab all the accuracy-boosts from the offense talents for your preferred weapon-category

Chaos17

I guess pet bear need to be nerfed. It souldn't be able to replace a real tank.

LOL at the last line. I would hate to be subjected to insults by you as they are so creative. As a aside I agree with what you stated although I havnt tried the 6 ranger thing personally. Sees 6 rangers and 6 pets would be insanely OPed as a group.

Newflash: My 5x ranger/bear +1 other class party on Path of the Damned+Expert+Ironman has easily auto-attacked it's way through almost the entire first two chapters. I dont even care about positioning, using abilities, or whatever. I literally just click targets one at a time with my whole party selected, and everything dies. Why? Because the class balance you idiots claim to be a key factor in your winning (aka shіtty) "variety party" is non-existant. It must be fun to be wrong and whine on the internet to make you feel good about your insecurities and poor analytical capacities.
Source : http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/618458030648324802/#p1

Balance ?

Tybolt

Banned
I'm starting to enjoy the game now that I'm not up against the millions of Shadows. Why the hell would they put those in so early?

Nohar

Newflash: My 5x ranger/bear +1 other class party on Path of the Damned+Expert+Ironman has easily auto-attacked it's way through almost the entire first two chapters. I dont even care about positioning, using abilities, or whatever. I literally just click targets one at a time with my whole party selected, and everything dies. Why? Because the class balance you idiots claim to be a key factor in your winning (aka shіtty) "variety party" is non-existant. It must be fun to be wrong and whine on the internet to make you feel good about your insecurities and poor analytical capacities.

Oh my. That's a classy fellow if I ever saw one.

People having the game be too easy, if you've loaded saves before and there's a chance you loaded them where a party member could be recruited, you might have inflated stats. You should be able to check them on the stat page and post to ask if you're not sure.

Also if the game is too easy, try using a 1-2 person party. It should get more difficult. Even with 3 it might be difficult. :p

I've checked all of my party member, and none of them have anomaly stats.
Using less party member would be the way to go I guess.

Tybolt

Banned
That guy seems like a pleasant individual.

I agree with his points about engagement and at least the second half of the resting complaint. I can't count the times I've tried to adjust my wizard's placement for his AOEs and he's gotten murdered for the engagement penalty, while Shadows are zipping all over the place and moving after some of them also causes party members to die on the spot because they moved.

With my main character being a Barbarian, it's also super annoying that I can't pre-buff and he has to stand there like an idiot being attacked before I can activate his key ability. I can't even have Durance use his main ability thing because everyone's got to have already started a fight before it'll even be clickable.

Chaos17

I'm starting to enjoy the game now that I'm not up against the millions of Shadows. Why the hell would they put those in so early?

If you're talking about the first dungeon in the first village don't go there early.
Otherwise you may feel what will follow in the main story will feel "easier" :
I'm talking about the part where you go unlock your stronghold, it clearly come before the dungeon village it term of difficulty.

I solved the Lighthouse quest without fighting. That's what happens when you're perceptive.

I think it might be possible without being perceptive.

If you never approach the banshee and explore the room, you can find other items there regarding a ship called the Red Dream I believe, which is leading me elsewhere in the city to talk to some guy. Hoping I find out something that will let me fix the problem without combat.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anyone here running a Barbarian? If so are you running dual wield with them or 2H?

ive been having good luck with 2H. There is a Barbarian skill called Brute Force where instead of targeting Deflection you attack their Fortitude (or whichever is lower). Since my Barbarian is not getting targeted usually.. i wait for Eder to have the enemies attention before going melee.. i wear light or no armor at all to get the most amount of swings as quickly as possible. With a high INT the AoE from Ravage is rather large. Even standing behind tanks in a choke point i can get Ravage hits off from behind them with a Pike.

KR_remix

I think it might be possible without being perceptive.

If you never approach the banshee and explore the room, you can find other items there regarding a ship called the Red Dream I believe, which is leading me elsewhere in the city to talk to some guy. Hoping I find out something that will let me fix the problem without combat.

You don't need a perception check.
You already have the logbook, go talk to the person the quest tells you to, assuming you already talked to Niah about the Red Dream(a ship). Just don't offend the person and you can do it without combat.
oh and
don't forget to loot the room the banshee was in when you are done, it has some pretty good loot. There are like 2 unique pieces of loot there I think.

Blizzard

Banned
People like that talking about the ranger may need to bear in mind that if stuff gets nerfed, triple crown solo may become (even more?) difficult. :p

Of course if the game were designed to allow that playstyle to succeed, people who use 6 party members would likely find things too easy, so I'm not sure what the right answer is. Scaling with party members would probably just annoy people.

Tom Penny

I started Act 2 and didn't have access to go outside the town so a women gave me access. I went to leave and got confronted by guards. Instead of saying I got permission they give you an option to insult them so I did lol. They attacked me now everywhere I got I get attacked by guards. Will this break the game? I'm killing everyone that isn't in building because they auto attack me.

Blizzard

Banned
I started Act 2 and
didn't have access to go outside the town so a women gave me access. I went to leave and got confronted by guards. Instead of saying I got permission they give you an option to insult them so I did lol. They attacked me now everywhere I got I get attacked by guards. Will this break the game? I'm killing everyone that isn't in building because they auto attack me.
With respect, that's nothing major, but you might want to spoiler Act 2 details for those still in Act 1. :)

Tanis

I've got a 2H barb I made at the inn. I maxed Might and Dexterity, put a couple of points into int and left everything else at 10. She seems to perform very well. Far and away my biggest hitter.

You don't need a perception check.
You already have the logbook, go talk to the person the quest tells you to, assuming you already talked to Niah about the Red Dream(a ship). Just don't offend the person and you can do it without combat.
oh and
don't forget to loot the room the banshee was in when you are done, it has some pretty good loot. There are like 2 unique pieces of loot there I think.

Yeah, one of them was a cloak that gives +3 perception. I tried to equip it and talk to the banshee again but the perception options were gone because I'd talked to her once before. :(

Is the stronghold achievement bugged?

I've completed all the upgrades presented, and I didn't receive an achievement.

Are there new upgrades later on? Currently in Act

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, hitting level 7 made those damn lighthouse assholes much easier to deal with. I managed to get Eder to tank like 5 of them in the corner by the door while the other 3-4 came up to the rest of my party up where I fought the rain blights.

Also, took me forever to figure out how to end the quest peacefully. She was absolutely wrecking me and on a hunch I went and talked to a few people.

Think I'm gonna finish up the sidequests in Defiance Bay and Drywood, then try to tackle the Endless Paths.

People like that talking about the ranger may need to bear in mind that if stuff gets nerfed, triple crown solo may become (even more?) difficult. :p

A ranger isn't playing triple crown solo! He has a bear friend! >:O

Also chanters who summon don't count either!

I'm kidding.

KR_remix

Yeah, one of them was a cloak that gives +3 perception. I tried to equip it and talk to the banshee again but the perception options were gone because I'd talked to her once before. :(

The perception check just leads you to look around the room for the log book anyways, either way if you find the logbook it leads you to do the non combat solution for the quest.

Blizzard

Banned
A ranger isn't playing triple crown solo! He has a bear friend! >:O

Also chanters who summon don't count either!

I'm kidding.
Every time I die as a non-ranger and my pet dog just uselessly saunters around my corpse, I feel a little disappointment inside.

Is the stronghold achievement bugged?

I've completed all the upgrades presented, and I didn't receive an achievement.

Are there new upgrades later on? Currently in Act

Yeah same, I searched a bit and according to a post on the official site the guide mentions something called "Additional Storage" that seems to be required for the achievement but is missing from the game.

Varna

Sad to hear about the drop off in difficulty in Hard mode. Feels just about right so far for me but I can definitely see it's on the decline.

Not a single game in this genre (including IE games) manages to hold an interesting difficulty setting throughout.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
People having the game be too easy, if you've loaded saves before and there's a chance you loaded them where a party member could be recruited, you might have inflated stats. You should be able to check them on the stat page and post to ask if you're not sure.

Also if the game is too easy, try using a 1-2 person party. It should get more difficult. Even with 3 it might be difficult. :p

Don't think that game is that difficult but I'm still dying occasionally and none of my companions is OP so I think I'm just THAT good!
I just completed the
Sanatorium
Mainquest while apparently being completely overleveled since I Mindstorm all of those constructs instantly.

Hupsel

Maaan i love playing rogues but dont like them in pillars so far. Cant initiate with them since the sneak attack will reveal me and kill me instantly once mobs attack me. And cmon, no bonus damage for attacking from behind with a rogue? Kinda disappointed. Guess ill stick to my druid.

Top Bottom