• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Glass cannon is something like this :D

qstV4DR.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Actually, even if not solo, what's the best way at level 3 to hit high-reflex, high-deflection enemies? There seem to be mandatory fights with
phantoms and shadows
, and even on easy difficulty they have 40-50 or higher reflex and deflection.

Volodja

Actually, even if not solo, what's the best way at level 3 to hit high-reflex, high-deflection enemies? There seem to be mandatory fights with
phantoms and shadows
Fan of flames.

Annubis

phantoms and shadows

Priest buff can help hit them.

phantoms and shadows

2nd level priest spell Divine Mark, I think you get that at Level 3. Reduces deflection and nice burns too.

Companion location spoilers:

You may not have a priest yet, Durance is one map south from Guilded Vale.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks. I guess I didn't realize fan of flames had such a big accuracy bonus, but it only has "average" cast time which would be very rough for solo against teleporting enemies and stunlocks.

goblin

phantoms and shadows

They're weak to fire and have (relatively) lower Fortitude and Will saves. Blind (-20 deflection) and Paralyze (-40! deflection) work well if you want to hit them. Wizards have Curse of Blackened Sight and Fetid Caress as 2nd level spells available at level three.

And as other people have mentioned Fan of Flames does great damage if you can line them up.

vocab

Is there a list of gamebreaking bugs so people may avoid them?
Avoid double clicking items to equip and avoid quick saving for the time being. I've been manual saving to potentially avoid the companion stat issue and think I'm fine.

The other bugs aren't that easy to get. Hopefully all this shit get fixed. I don't mind bugs but these break your characters functionality so much.

Blizzard

Banned
Avoid double clicking items to equip and avoid quick saving for the time being. I've been manual saving to potentially avoid the companion stat issue and think I'm fine.

The other bugs aren't that easy to get. Hopefully all this shit get fixed. I don't mind bugs but these break your characters functionality so much.
Manual saving and loading will still produce the companion stat dupe bug if you load the save in a location where the companion was recruited.

There may be other ways, but that one is a definite way to reproduce it as far as I've tested.

vocab

Manual saving and loading will still produce the companion stat dupe bug if you load the save in a location where the companion was recruited.

There may be other ways, but that one is a definite way to reproduce it as far as I've tested.
I can't say I've noticed any crazy increases then. Oh well.

Burt

Decided to start my PotD run. Its just so hard being evil, it actually makes me uncomfortable. I'm the person that would always give change to beggars in BG even though it did literally nothing.

Party is going to be fighter, melee tank priest, melee CC/tank wizard, cipher, druid, and a regular priest. I'm min-maxing stats which I usually don't do, so I'm a bit nervous about that. Some caster AOE is going to hit my 8 con 8 res druid down the line and ruin my day. Should be interesting though.

rakhir

So, Insect Swarm.
I found myself fighting some tough druids and as soon as they cast insect swarm i'm dead - it doesn't have a duration, drains endurance constantly and destroys my whole team in fifteen seconds.
What the hell.

Tom Penny

So, Insect Swarm.
I found myself fighting some tough druids and as soon as they cast insect swarm i'm dead - it doesn't have a duration, drains endurance constantly and destroys my whole team in fifteen seconds.
What the hell.

I have the opposite bug. They just swarm around me and never go away so I guess I'll roll with them as pets lol

What I mean is we should get the list accessible for everyone. Because not everyone who is playing the game is also pay attention to this thread or do some research beforehand.

Edit: I think I found it - Reddit.

So I was having trouble in the
Skaen Cultist Temple
so I left and changed up my party a bit. I also hired a rogue since that was the only class I didn't have yet, and DAMN. I gave her one of the named pistols (can't remember what, it does shock damage) and that sneak attack destroys enemies. The fact that it can trigger within the first two seconds of combat means that I can basically obliterate one enemy almost instantly.

Also, sidenote: what exactly is Skaen supposed to be? Pillars version of the devil? He's apparebtly some kind of god, and has worshippers, but he's not listed in the deities section of the manual.

I just did that quest. I believe Skaen is supposed to be some sort of god of rebellions/slaves and sacrifice of some sort.

Though that quest, and something I've noticed in alot of other quests:
There's quite a few people who will instantly try to kill you if provoked in alot of quests. I guess it's just strange to me that one dude and his assistant in a tanner's shop thinks they have a chance of killing six heavily armored adventurers.

rakhir

I have the opposite bug. They just swarm around me and never go away so I guess I'll roll with them as pets lol
I managed to kill some of the group and the swarm debuff is still on my team, even after the combat.
I learned that it's a bug and the swarm and its debuff (constant endurance drain) will be on even after camping and all, i had to save and load to make it go away.

Dresden

The lighthouse was such a goddamn grind. Shades with 82 deflection, phantoms with 90. No camping allowed in the level.

I hate ghosts.

Blizzard

Banned
The lighthouse was such a goddamn grind. Shades with 82 deflection, phantoms with 90. No camping allowed in the level.

I hate ghosts.
Even the early phantom / shade enemies are annoying enough, it's hard to imagine what they're like on late levels.

Morzak

So I got all my companions now. I will have to experiment a bit on the party make up, I just can't decide who to take, Eder is set as a tank, Aloth will probably stay, since slicken is just so stupidly overpowered.. Durance has just ot many good debuffs/buffs and heals are helpful. with my Rogue PC I have two spots open to experiment. Sometimes I like an additional off tank and I really like
Sagani
. At the moment I'm trrying out
Grieving Mother
instead of
Pallegina
. Sometimes I think
Pallegina
would be great for his reload speed aura which is stupidly good, and when abusing Doors in dungeons Eder is often the only one in melee range.

Durante

Discussing PoE with lapsed gamer colleagues at work is fun. They live in this wonderful world were Pillars more or less directly follows BG2, with none of the crap in between.

Anjelus_

My guys are level 8 now and the game has become a complete breeze. Cleared the lighthouse without breaking a sweat. I'm going around looking for the next good fight and haven't found it yet. Regretting not having gone to Path of the Damned difficulty. Maybe I just out leveled some things? I'm hoping the challenge will return as I push forward into new areas.

Hard-Expert mode btw. To be fair, this also happened to me in BG2.

Edit: How can I tell if my characters have inflated stats?

peakish

My guys are level 8 now and the game has become a complete breeze. Cleared the lighthouse without breaking a sweat. I'm going around looking for the next good fight and haven't found it yet. Regretting not having gone to Path of the Damned difficulty. Maybe I just out leveled some things? I'm hoping the challenge will return as I push forward into new areas.

Hard>Expert mode btw. To be fair, this also happened to me in BG2.
Happened to me too, which is removing some enjoyment of the game for me. The last challenging fight I was in was against The Dweller a few hours back. In some sense this will always be a problem in games where you can level up by doing side content, still it's a bit sad.

One thing I've been thinking about is that AoE spells would become significantly less powerful if I was playing on expert and couldn't place them with the precision I currently can. I might do that in my Path of the Damned playthrough.

Hard>Expert mode btw. To be fair, this also happened to me in BG2.

Edit: How can I tell if my characters have inflated stats?

This also happened to me in Divinity Original Sin.
I'm on normal and currently at level 5, but most battle are relatively too easy after I got a full party of 6. I wonder if I should restart on hard.

Anjelus_

Yea, after I got a full party of 6 is when things started to change. I just have access to sooo many spells between my priest and wizard, it's a little OP.

Edit: Maybe I should just start a new game when the patch hits and go to PotD. I've played a lot of BG/IWD, hard mode may not be enough for me.

Edit2: that said, I've never felt the need to crank the difficulty to max in BG or IWD. Maybe eternity is just easier? I really don't know. I'm enjoying it less now that I'm just curb stomping, battles are becoming a bit of a grind rather than grueling slogs. I like grueling slogs.

Blizzard

Banned
People having the game be too easy, if you've loaded saves before and there's a chance you loaded them where a party member could be recruited, you might have inflated stats. You should be able to check them on the stat page and post to ask if you're not sure.

Also if the game is too easy, try using a 1-2 person party. It should get more difficult. Even with 3 it might be difficult. :p

Dresden

I was in that boat where hard didn't feel like enough, and potd hasn't been all that bad... except for the shades. Fucking ghosts.

Top Bottom