• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

KarmaCow

Companions:
How am I supposed to pass through those druids? I want the grieving mother unto my team jajaj

In
Dyrwood Forest? You can avoid them by just sticking to the road. I got wrecked by them and I just avoided everything when I was going back to some Act 1 areas after accidentally starting Act 2.

Any given character can only summon one thing/set of things at a time. Summoning a new thing(s) will unsummon whatever is already out.

Example: If you have both the skeleton and phantom summon invocations, if you summon the skeletons (3) and then later in the same fight summon the phantom, the skeletons will despawn.

However, the limit is per character, so if you had two chanters you could each summon one thing. Figurines also count towards this limit.

And honestly it isn't necessarily a problem to resummon the same thing anyway, as the old ones despawn and new fresh ones appear which aren't injured or dead.

ivb_1973

Banned
Doh! :(

Well, at least I gained some versatility.

For those guys I thought that Dyrwood Forest was for much later, so I went to Defiance Bay... still I don't want those companions to use their new levels on their own so I guess I will do what you say, KarmaCow.

Lord Phol

Yay I duoed the bears on hard \o/. Nay I chose backstab for my Rogue and it's horrible. Might have to restart again t.t.

Sou Da

Is there like a config I can edit or something, I've been trying to play for like 5 hours and I'm just about out of options.

Just looking at the devtracker, Eric Fenstermaker has twice said he's too late to get something (minor) in the 1.04 patch, which suggests to me it's locked off and being tested/rolled out very soon.

For all you evil players I have a tip to get some nice loot.

Kill Falanored in black meadow. Dont know if she is available before adra dragoon and accepting her quest

Lord Phol

Ah fudge it I'm re-rolling a last time, can't enjoy the game knowing I've wasted a talent on backstab ><. How many talents/abilities do you get?

Lord Phol

Backstab isn't a wasted talent...

Really? oO. Maybe it becomes better at later levels, but atm trying to stealth with my rogue and then see him get teared apart just isn't alot of fun. Don't think that gameplay is for me in this particular game. Will try to make him more of a swashbuckler/duelist instead of an assassin this time and see how that plays out.

Thank god for fast mode!

Edit: Btw is trying to focus on three skills too much? I want to get Athletic, Stealth (good for stealing stuff) and Mechanics but maybe I should just drop one and focus on two of them.

Dresden

Eder/Aloth convo (early spoilers about Aloth's story):

Eder: Next time we get the chance, I'm buying you a pint.

Aloth: That means a lot, Eder.

Eder: Oh did you want one too? Sorry I meant for Iselmyr. I'll get you one too.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Really? oO. Maybe it becomes better at later levels, but atm trying to stealth with my rogue and then see him get teared apart just isn't alot of fun. Don't think that gameplay is for me in this particular game, might just make him more of a swashbuckler/duelist instead of an assassin.

There is a 2/rest talent that grants your rogue invisibility for a bit. It can be a bit finicky. Still a good talent if you have stealth up quite high.

Khar

Well, at least one backer (named Hiro Protagonist II over at Obsidian forums) at that tier said he actually had no input on his NPC's story whatsoever (beyond just the name, presumably, as that NPC is called "Hiro").

Whether that's the case with the other backers is another matter, but I'd be surprised if it isn't largely Obsidian's work.

I backed that tier and can confirm that I had very little to do with my NPC.
You chose a name. In my case I made up a generic fantasy name and hoped that it might fit. We weren't supplied any naming conventions of the various races and cultures so it wasn't very easy to do that.

We had to fill out a brief character description (general traits). Pick race / class -- you couldn't choose no class for example and be simply a farmer or librarian. You could pick basic appearance: skin and hair colour, colour of clothes. That was about it.

I would have liked to have some basic details about the world so that I could have tailored my NPC to fit. Since that wasn't possible I just described myself in the most mundane, boring terms. My description was only a couple of short paragraphs as I don't recall that text field being huge. I ended up making a vanity character, basically. But it was impossible to come up with something interesting that would be unobtrusive with no information. My description didn't include any overblown power fantasies or anything like that. I just described my basic, real-life personality and an interest. I felt it would be really annoying to be all, yeah I'm a werewolf who lost my angel wings who's the heir to a royal kingdom and could easily blast a hole in the sun with my supa speshul magick omg.

We weren't told how these character sheets would be used which made it doubly tricky to fill out. We had no indication from Obsidian if we were going to be used for vendors, enemy NPCs, quest givers or simply flavour text (as it turned out). I had no idea if you'd be able to speak to my character or not for example.

So yeah, my character story was a complete surprise on almost every sense. But I'm not displeased with how my NPC turned out. Mine was kind of hilarious.

If they do that again there's definitely improvements that can be made. Double Fine vetted backer names and descriptions for Massive Chalice for lore friendly stuff. They'd warn you if you weren't. You could then choose to either amend your content to be lore friendly or be included under a non lore friendly segment of names that could be disabled by the player. Players could then easily avoid things like backer content with names like Hiro Protagonist and Sturm Brightblade and many of the obnoxious memorial stones.

Tldr version: If you hate any of the soul stories and think they're super cheese or badly written, then unfortunately that's on Obsidian. We had next to nothing to do with them.

I'm terrible at this game.

I have a party of 5 - my elf bowman, Eder, Aloth, Durance and a barbarian adventurer I hired/made - and I almost lost the fight against
the Skuld King thingie in the Temple of Eothas.

FStop7

Banned
I've played Infinity Engine RPGs before but I'm still a little overwhelmed. I'm not quite understanding how chanting works...

Could someone remind me what the theoretical Super Awesome Best tank stat distribution would be at character creation?

Let's say it's an aumaua chanter who wants to be tanky, because their action speed doesn't matter since the chants just happen at the same speed anyway, and they can summon others to deal damage for them.

I can get to:

Mgt 10
Con 19
Dex 3
Per 18
Int 10
Res 18

Should I tweak anything else there? Is int even all that important for them? I could lower that and raise might instead...but that would also be buffing fortitude and killing will.

What do you guys think?

Arulan

Perhaps this has been explained elsewhere, but why do I have an extra digital copy (Kickstarter Hero edition) of the game in my products page? I backed at the $140 tier, and naturally received my Kickstarter Royal edition key when it was released.

Sou Da

Perhaps this has been explained elsewhere, but why do I have an extra digital copy (Kickstarter Hero edition) of the game in my products page? I backed at the $140 tier, and naturally received my Kickstarter Royal edition key when it was released.

You're intended to sell that. For pure profit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just realized I'm in act 3 and don't have
Scale-Breaker
yet. I guess I just missed the NPC when I was in
Black Meadow
?

Zeliard

I backed that tier and can confirm that I had very little to do with my NPC.
You chose a name. In my case I made up a generic fantasy name and hoped that it might fit. We weren't supplied any naming conventions of the various races and cultures so it wasn't very easy to do that.

We had to fill out a brief character description (general traits). Pick race / class -- you couldn't choose no class for example and be simply a farmer or librarian. You could pick basic appearance: skin and hair colour, colour of clothes. That was about it.

I would have liked to have some basic details about the world so that I could have tailored my NPC to fit. Since that wasn't possible I just described myself in the most mundane, boring terms. My description was only a couple of short paragraphs as I don't recall that text field being huge. So I ended up making a vanity character, basically. But it was impossible to come up with something interesting that would be unobtrusive with no information. My description didn't include any overblown power fantasies or anything like that. I just described my basic, real-life personality and an interest.

We weren't told how these character sheets would be used which made it doubly tricky to fill out. We had no indication from Obsidian if we were going to be used for vendors, enemy NPCs, quest givers or simply flavour text (as it turned out). I had no idea if you'd be able to speak to my character or not for example.

So yeah, my character story was a complete surprise on almost every sense. But I'm not displeased with how my NPC turned out. Mine was kind of hilarious.

If they do that again there's definitely improvements that can be made. Double Fine vetted backer names and descriptions for Massive Chalice for lore friendly stuff. They'd warn you if you weren't. You could then choose to either amend your content to be lore friendly or be included under a non lore friendly segment of names that could be disabled by the player. So players could easily avoid things like backer content with names like Hiro Protagonist and Sturm Brightblade and many of the obnoxious memorial stones.

Tldr version: If you hate any of the soul stories and think they're super cheese or badly written, then unfortunately that's on Obsidian. We had next to nothing to do with them.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

And yes, that Double Fine plan w/ Chalice Dungeon seems like an excellent idea and undoubtedly one Obsidian would have gone through permitting resources. If they do another KS again and invite backer-created content, I'm sure it will be curated more carefully.

Having said that, I don't quite hate those backer stories as much as some other seems to, at least those I've read so far. Some are indeed long-winded and they vary in quality, but a few made for interesting reads and they offer a change of pace. The memorial stones, on the other hand, are just incongruous.

Edit: and Hiro Protagonist is an awesome name, blasphemer. :p It's the main character in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

MartyStu

Btw is trying to focus on three skills too much? I want to get Athletic, Stealth (good for stealing stuff) and Mechanics but maybe I should just drop one and focus on two of them.

I am not sure it is the right thing to do, but this is pretty much what I am doing as well.

I concentrate on Stealth and Mechanics, and dump the remainder into Athletics.

Shaldome

Od Nua lvl 5:
Finally I saw those fucking staircases. Now It's going to be a lot easier to traverse the endless paths. I got wrecked on the seventh floor, so I'm going to retreat by now.

Before going further than level 7 I would advise doing one quest first.

You will get it after the first main quest in act 2.
after you have finished Never far from the Queen.

The one important
from the three you get is the one with the tower called Undying Heritage

You will miss dialogues and lore if go further before doing this quest.

Evilmaus

Okay so I feel like I'm missing something because I'm starting to have quite a bit of trouble.

I'm playing on easy mode and have just gotten to the keep at the beginning (the place you head to after the first town).

I've got a party of five, with everyone around level 3, but I seem to have one or two party members lose all their endurance or become maimed in every encounter!
I'm not sure if I'm really underleveled, under-equipped or just not using the game's mechanics efficiently. Should I be spending more time on side quests and exploring before taking on main-story quests?

Khar

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Edit: and Hiro Protagonist is an awesome name, blasphemer. :p It's the main character in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Heh, yes I know. I love Snow Crash, it's one of my favourite books. I singled that one out because Hiro was so jarring in this game.

I'm surprised copyright-wise that people were allowed to have character names that are either exact copies or copies with a slight change (Hiro Protagonist II - like adding the II makes it sufficiently different) from other IPs. Weird.

Why is OK to have rips from Dragonlance I wonder? What if someone named their character Robb Sterk or Tibarius Kark?

ETA: I don't mean to sound like I'm having a giant moan on Obsidian as a backer by the way. I'm really thrilled how POE turned out and would chuck an obscene amount of money at Obsidian again for the privilege of getting to play another game of this ilk.

I've read some unnecessary hate on backer content so I thought people would be interested in how it worked and who was responsible for what.

I don't see why backer content couldn't be included in future Kickstarters. With fewer backer slots and more expensive tiers to get custom content. More oversight and back and forth. A couple of minutes for a Skype or Google chat would be ideal.

It should be possible for backer ideas or characters to be integrated seamlessly with Obsidian authored NPCs with some changes to the workflow.

Jhriad

Really hope they patch the game soon. I've got the itch to play but I don't feel like restarting from the beginning.

KarmaCow

Okay so I feel like I'm missing something because I'm starting to have quite a bit of trouble.

I'm playing on easy mode and have just gotten to the keep at the beginning (the place you head to after the first town).

I've got a party of five, with everyone around level 3, but I seem to have one or two party members lose all their endurance or become maimed in every encounter!
I'm not sure if I'm really underleveled, under-equipped or just not using the game's mechanics efficiently. Should I be spending more time on side quests and exploring before taking on main-story quests?

Positioning and preparing is very important. Leave your squishies behind, at the beginning at least so your tank can gather up as many targets as possible.

What keep? Raedric's, or Caed Nua? One is tougher than the other, especially for only level 3. I think you can probably be level 5 before doing either of them.

And while I wouldn't say the game can only be played one way, it took me a while to realize the easiest way to play the game.

Have two or even just one melee person(s) who stand in front and take the hits, and everyone else should use bows or guns. You can almost auto-attack through every fight with that setup. Make sure you use choke points like doorways too to make sure your tank(s) stop enemies from getting to your other guys.

Xiraiya

Yeah I had no idea those yellow NPCs were Backers for quite awhile, I thought the names were a little strange at times but I just kind of thought "Oh I guess maybe they're souls from another era and names were different then"

And I thought all the stories I encountered were interesting, some far more so than others. Nothing about them made me think they might be fanfiction.

Evilmaus

Positioning and preparing is very important. Leave your squishies behind, at the beginning at least so your tank can gather up as many targets as possible.

Hmm. I guess I haven't really identified who my tank is yet. My player character is a monk, so I guess that's more DPS. I'll work on sorting my formation out and buffing my more hardy characters.

What keep? Raedric's, or Caed Nua? One is tougher than the other, especially for only level 3. I think you can probably be level 5 before doing either of them.

And while I wouldn't say the game can only be played one way, it took me a while to realize the easiest way to play the game.

Have two or even just one melee person(s) who stand in front and take the hits, and everyone else should use bows or guns. You can almost auto-attack through every fight with that setup. Make sure you use choke points like doorways too to make sure your tank(s) stop enemies from getting to your other guys.

Caed Nua! Couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Honestly it seems like the majority of my characters are melee based at this point, so maybe I need to change-up their equipment? I'll head back to town and reassess my party before trying to push on. Maybe try a couple of side-quests to help get the hang of things!

Fishious

Hmm. I guess I haven't really identified who my tank is yet. My player character is a monk, so I guess that's more DPS. I'll work on sorting my formation out and buffing my more hardy characters.

Caed Nua! Couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Honestly it seems like the majority of my characters are melee based at this point, so maybe I need to change-up their equipment? I'll head back to town and reassess my party before trying to push on. Maybe try a couple of side-quests to help get the hang of things!

Eder should be your tank. If somehow you haven't gotten him, he's back in Gilded Vale. Set your tanks at the front of your formation and either have them block doorways or move to intercept melee enemies if you're in an open area.

If you have other melee characters, but they can't take hits well wait until the enemies are engaged with your tank, then move them in. Alternatively give them melee weapons with reach (like staves or spears) so they can stand behind your tanks or swap them to ranged.

If you could tell us your current team we can probably give more specific advice.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i got my collectors edition game in the mail today. Box is a lot larger than i expected. Love that they kept with the book motif for the cover/spine art. i was going to open it at first but i think i might just keep it sealed.

Corsick

There are two specific major gamebreaking bugs with character stats

Also a bug I've posted about before in regards to the
temple of Woedica for the "Never Far From the Queen" quest. I killed all of the robed figures and no conversation or vision triggered. I've looted everything while in stealth and killed all NPCs with the quest not progressing. I either have to wait for a patch or start over. I've spent 3 hours now just running around trying to see if I missed something with no luck.

ivb_1973

Banned
Before going further than level 7 I would advise doing one quest first.

You will get it after the first main quest in act 2.
after you have finished Never far from the Queen.

The one important
from the three you get is the one with the tower called Undying Heritage

You will miss dialogues and lore if go further before doing this quest.

Thanks! I will do so, then. Now let's see that nintendo direct :p

szaromir

Banned
Can I juggle between companions and complete all their quests in the same playthrough or is it impossible as their arcs only trigger when they're with me during main-story events?

Nordicus

i got my collectors edition game in the mail today. Box is a lot larger than i expected. Love that they kept with the book motif for the cover/spine art. i was going to open it at first but i think i might just keep it sealed.
Bah, mine hasn't even been shipped yet. I suppose it's because I'm in Europe, they might get the US deliveries out of the way first

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Bah! According to the tracker, mine is still sitting in customs.

Heh, yes I know. I love Snow Crash, it's one of my favourite books. I singled that one out because it was so jarring in this game.

I'm surprised copyright-wise that people were allowed to have character names that are either exact copies or copies with a slight change (Hiro Protagonist II - like adding the II makes it sufficiently different) from other IPs. Weird.

Heh. Not that it really addresses this issue at hand, but I know that guy from the Obsidian forum. He used to be Hiro Protagonist without the II, but lost access to that account for whatever reason. He ended up creating a new account and appending the II onto it.

Top Bottom