• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Sou Da

I just wanted to play some video games.

TMPP82s.jpg

To make it even better, the moon portrait shows a pretty clear disconnect between the artists that made the portraits and the artists that made the character models. Grey-blue with white hair and a dainty crescent on the forehead versus deep blue, glittery, glowy huge horns, blue/purple glowing hair, and gold markings on the face.

You can't pick a portrait even halfway close to looking like your actual moon godlike character model.

The ONE male Nature Godlike portrait looks like NONE of the THREE heads available.

goblin

And actually issues with the stronghold are about more than money:

Considering prisoners can escape due to the passage of time before the event happens where someone shows up offering rare stuff in exchange for them, that's kind of an oversight. I shouldn't have to frantically turn in a bunch of quests after capturing a prisoner in the hopes that a specific event will trigger.

I found strongholds to be a mostly inoffensive diversion, but one of the most annoying things in the game is traveling across the world map and then seeing a bunch of stronghold messages that the rare item vendor, the slave trader, and other special NPCs have arrived and left in the time it took for you to get to your destination.

They should wait there until I'm actually able to make decisions about them, realism be damned.

I'm not yet dealing with them, but is there any way to just say "Fuck all of you" and do things yourself? Because that's kind of been my MO so far, and I'd love to continue operating that way.

I didn't find any way to do this, but I was able to
align myself with the Dozens when it was required, then pick dialogue options to throw their views, beliefs and representative under the bus. I thought that was an OK compromise.

What I've read about the factions and keeping them open, at least in Defiance Bay:

Each faction has a sort of side quest with an underling, and then several main quests that involve getting in good with the leader of the faction. If you want to keep your options open, you can only do the first main quest. If you accept the second one, not even complete it but just accept it, an opposed faction will refuse to deal with you any further.

This just happened to me, I accepted the second Knights quest and haven't done anything with it, and House Doemenel's old father refuses to offer me his second quest because I'm in too deep with the Knights.

People on other forums are upset because if you've been too friendly with all the factions, most of them will refuse to host you in the hearings at the Ducal palace. You don't want to accept the second quest of both the Knights and the Dozens if you want to get into the hearings courtesy of either of them. Ultimately your last resort might end up being Doemenel who can get you into them as a matter of strictly business. Just what I've read. I don't know what might happen if you kill all the Doeminels.

I accepted the Dozens' second quest and now the Crucible Knights won't deal with me. It seems pretty strange considering I've done the knights some big favors and never acted against their interests. I've even killed members of the Dozens, so I don't know why they should get the idea I'm all buddy/buddy with them. I can't call in any favors from the Doemenels either. Not after I killed them :/

Annubis

I've actually removed most of the default portraits out of the folder to make browsing them faster.
I mean, I wouldn't use 90% of the default ones and the custom ones I've found up to now are pretty great.

Galileo

Neo Member
That said I'd prefer they had custom portraits for all the semi important quest NPCs.
That's what I was talking about, Shadowrun has unique portraits even for relatively minor characters and they add quite a bit of flavour to the game
It was a thrown-together stretch goal, which it kinda feels like. I like the Endless Paths (although I haven't dug into them yet), but otherwise it's kinda fan service for its own sake rather than tied tightly to the game.
Agreed, although I'm still happy it was included, it's no Crossroad Keep for sure

Violet_0

Banned
I accepted the Dozens' second quest and now the Crucible Knights won't deal with me. It seems pretty strange considering I've done the knights some big favors and never acted against their interests. I've even killed members of the Dozens, so I don't know why they should get the idea I'm all buddy/buddy with them. I can't call in any favors from the Doemenels either. Not after I killed them :/

I think you can
go to the tribunal as a representative of Dunryd Row if all the other options are exhausted. Their leader said as much when I asked her about it

now, if you kill absolutely everyone - that would be interesting to see if you could still proceed in the main quest

Chaos17

I've seen some of the most talented programmers I've ever worked with make incredibly silly mistakes like that when rushed and/or under pressure. It happens and isn't necessarily indicative of talent.

Then let's hope, they're going to fix these and not over look them.

I think you can
go to the tribunal as a representative of Dunryd Row if all the other options are exhausted. Their leader said as much when I asked her about it

now, if you kill absolutely everyone - that would be interesting to see if you could still proceed in the main quest

Haha we'll see if it comes to that. That last party you mention has not gotten on my bad side yet.

So, I just completed Kana's quest in The Endless Paths. I had to return because Durance had the maimed status and I was out of campfires. When I return to the surface,
assassins show up and immediately one shot Durance. How can I save him? He's the best companion, no way I'm going to let him die.

Sou Da

So, I just completed Kana's quest in The Endless Paths. I had to return because Durance had the maimed status and I was out of campfires. When I return to the surface,
assassins show up and immediately one shot Durance. How can I save him? He's the best companion, no way I'm going to let him die.

Bubble him for the whole fight.

If you got anything that boosts INT give it to him to make it last longer.

cripterion

lvl10 (close to 11) chars, I'm at lvl13 of Od Nua, love the game but at the moment it's way too buggy and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

I mean I could overcome several other bugs (including the raedric keep cause it was early game)but now it just crashes when loading my savefile, no way I'm doing it all over again :(

Durante

I suppose. For role-playing purposes I find it more interesting when at least two factions represent positions I find intuitively moral (think Devil Survivor rather than SMT). Incidental factors like this general being a jackass or that party requiring the intermediate sacrifice of innocent lives should complicate the player's decision but not overwhelm the debate. The player should ultimately feel good about having made a hard choice (or bad, if the player intentionally chose an option he or she considers morally bad). I think that is sometimes missing from RPGs where the options are all bad (and here I cannot speak about Eternity as I have not reached any decision point with the factions). It's nice that the factions think they are doing the right thing (as few humans wake up and decide they want to do evil), but it's important to remember that the player wants to do good as well. It feels better to search for the best among morally plausible but imperfect responses to a dire situation than to hold your nose and take the least bad of an odious bunch.
That's exactly what they are: morally plausible but imperfect responses.

I disagree that the player should ultimately feel good about his choices, or at least that should not always be the case. That seems like it would only allow you to model simplistic very simplistic societies.

What I've read about the factions and keeping them open, at least in Defiance Bay
I haven't read anything about it, but I feel like the game makes it exceedingly obvious in this case, almost unrealistically so. The faction leaders basically come out and tell you that accepting to do X will piss the others off.

embalm

So where is the sweet loot? I'm looking to do some dungeon delving and want some named items. I feel like most of my characters are using Fine weapons and armor close to what they started with.

Would you recommend that I head to the Endless Paths or seek out some other place?

(Act 2/3, level 8/9)

Eyeh4wk

Can someone tell me where do I get the free ingredients items in the Stronghold? Are they added automatically in the stash?

lvl10 (close to 11) chars, I'm at lvl13 of Od Nua, love the game but at the moment it's way too buggy and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

I mean I could overcome several other bugs (including the raedric keep cause it was early game)but now it just crashes when loading my savefile, no way I'm doing it all over again :(

You say that as if you have only one save file...

Burt

So where is the sweet loot? I'm looking to do some dungeon delving and want some named items. I feel like most of my characters are using Fine weapons and armor close to what they started with.

Would you recommend that I head to the Endless Paths or seek out some other place?

(Act 2/3, level 8/9)

Don't forget to enchant your gear. You can get it to mostly as good as named items, minus the unique modifier that named items have. But if you make an item for each of the slaying enchantments and use them appropriately, they're actually straight up better than most named things because of how big the slaying bonuses are.

Od Nua's good for you at this point though. Other stuff off the top of my head: bounties can give good stuff, there's a spear in
the ruins in the gorge place
... and that's all I got. So much stuff is just picked up along the way, can't really think of anything sticking out too much. There's definitely a lot of gear beyond 8/9 in Od Nua though.

Related: Does anyone know where you go to forge the (Od Nua)
Blade of the Endless Paths?

Also, where do you go for this? I could never find the spot despite clearing the place. I do know that there's one spot near the bottom that's clearly a hidden wall, but I could never get it to open.

The Knights' base in Defiance Bay.

[IM G]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7655/16814710918_fdfb1a504d_o.png[/IMG]

Well that's kind of underwhelming...

Hmmm, basically designed for a barbarian or something. Keep in mind you got one more anvil point there to spend on an enchant. :p

Don't forget to enchant your gear. You can get it to mostly as good as named items, minus the unique modifier that named items have. But if you make an item for each of the slaying enchantments and use them appropriately, they're actually straight up better than most named things because of how big the slaying bonuses are.

Od Nua's good for you at this point though. Other stuff off the top of my head: bounties can give good stuff, there's a spear in
the ruins in the gorge place
... and that's all I got. So much stuff is just picked up along the way, can't really think of anything sticking out too much. There's definitely a lot of gear beyond 8/9 in Od Nua though.

Also, where do you go for this? I could never find the spot despite clearing the place. I do know that there's one spot near the bottom that's clearly a hidden wall, but I could never get it to open.

It is on the
7th level in the southeast room. You open the door with a key you find somewhere else on the level.

Burt

The Knights' base in Defiance Bay.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I went with them my first time through and their blacksmith was the best one I could think of, especially given that he can make those adra soldiers

It is on the
7th level in the southeast room. You open the door with a key you find somewhere else on the level.

Thanks, that's way earlier than I was looking.

Xiraiya

Has anyone been encountering crashes frequently going in and out of The Black Hound Inn?
Half the time my game gets stuck on the loading screen going in and leaving.

To make it even better, the moon portrait shows a pretty clear disconnect between the artists that made the portraits and the artists that made the character models. Grey-blue with white hair and a dainty crescent on the forehead versus deep blue, glittery, glowy huge horns, blue/purple glowing hair, and gold markings on the face.
You can't pick a portrait even halfway close to looking like your actual moon godlike character model.
Yeah I've seen some weird stuff like that, that's why I ended up resorting to default human male because I thought "Surely I can find the beard and hairstyle for the Meadow human portrait"
I did, and it's cool, and he has Stoic Male voice, which seems to work wonderfully with portrait 18.
Sounds like Liam Neeson, looks a bit like him too.

That's exactly what they are: morally plausible but imperfect responses.

We'll see. As I said, I have not progressed very far in this part of the storyline yet. My comments are not directed at Pillars of Eternity in particular.

I disagree that the player should ultimately feel good about his choices, or at least that should not always be the case. That seems like it would only allow you to model simplistic very simplistic societies.

I will clarify that I do not think the player should always have an option he/she feels good about. But I don't see why a model that provided such choices should be simplistic. The absence of such options feels pretty unrealistic to me! When I go and vote, I may recognize an enormous number of faults in both the political system and my chosen representatives, but I still feel like there is an option that broadly represents my moral viewpoint and is not *simply* the least bad among a repulsive set. Besides, there are all kinds of fascinating disagreements within families of thought that produce interesting conflicts under pressure. These theoretical disputes are often more interesting to me than the scenarios where there are no "good" partners because the latter usually (though not always) reduce to picking whichever option is most amenable to a hypothetical future turn toward whatever your unavailable preference was in the first place.

Again, that's not to say the player should always feel good about his or her choices, but I see no reason why you couldn't construct a complicated story around such choices.

Violet_0

Banned
Looks like they're calling estocs.... estocs.

There's more than 1 type of 2-handed sword in this game, from what I've seen.

greatswords are a soldier weapon specialization, estocs are knight weapons I think. Afaik greatswords do more damage and estocs have a better damage reduction penetration

The most annoying bug for me so far is that when you use a spell or skill to regenerate endurance, the game thinks that each time you get endurance it's an ineffective attack against an enemy. I most definitely can't have ineffective attack as an auto-pause because of it.

Kinthalis

Banned
A weapon is a spoiler?

Looks like they're calling estocs.... estocs.

There's more than 1 type of 2-handed sword in this game, from what I've seen.

Right, but the image of the weapon is clearly a sword. An estock is edgless, thin with a thick spine, and usually a triangular or square blade geometry. Also a rather short blade compared to a normal two-handed longsword.

It's a very specialized weapon.

Kinthalis

Banned
greatswords are a soldier weapon specialization, estocs are knight weapons I think. Afaik greatswords do more damage and estocs have a better damage reduction penetration

Which seems weird, isn't dr pretty much ALWAYS better than the little bit of extra damage from the greatsword?

The most annoying bug for me so far is that when you use a spell or skill to regenerate endurance, the game thinks that each time you get endurance it's an ineffective attack against an enemy. I most definitely can't have ineffective attack as an auto-pause because of it.

Yeah!

I gave Kana the talent that lets him heal a little of someone else's health (actual health, not just endurance).

So we're all out of combat, dusting ourselves off, Durance is a little beat up, Kana goes over to him and patches him up a bit while screaming, "THIS ISN'T WORKING!"

Nordicus

Naah, they have same damage, but it's Estoc's 5 DR penetration verses Greatsword's best of slashing/pierce

Which seems weird, isn't dr pretty much ALWAYS better than the little bit of extra damage from the greatsword?
Usually yeah. Greatsword is only better if enemy's pierce DR is 6 or more larger than slashing DR

Yeah!

I gave Kana the talent that lets him heal a little of someone else's health (actual health, not just endurance).

So we're all out of combat, dusting ourselves off, Durance is a little beat up, Kana goes over to him and patches him up a bit while screaming, "THIS ISN'T WORKING!"

Haha. At least it isn't game breaking, just a minor annoyance compared to some of the other way worse bugs.

Kinthalis

Banned
Yeah!

Yeah, happens to me too! :)

Burt

They do the same damage, as do (almost) all weapons within a class before modifiers http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapons

Estocs get a flat bonus DR bypass, greatswords' bonus is to pick whichever damage type is more effective between piercing and slashing. So if an enemy had 30 DR vs. pierce and 10 vs. slash, the estoc would hit with 25 DR working against it while the greatsword would only be dealing with 10 because it gets to pick to use slash damage. But if an enemy had 10 pierce DR and 10 slash DR, the estoc would only have 5 DR against it while the greatsword would still have 10.

I've been thinking about non-standard party setups, particularly involving multiples of certain classes, and how they could break the game. I think it would be really fun. Honestly, 6 of any given class could be awesome.

6 rangers with pet bears has been done. People say it's actually very effective because all the bears easily tank all the enemies due to the engagement system and you can just autoattack destroy everything.

Imagine 6 island aumaua rogues tricked out with the right talents to be packing 4 blunderbusses each. Sneak attack in the first 2 seconds of combat means you thin every herd incredibly fast, and quick switching to the other blunderbusses without needing to reload probably means the rest of the fight is over just as quickly.

Imagine 6 chanters all chanting different chants, keeping the whole group perma-buffed with everything. If they can survive to get a few chant points you could summon a huge army. In fact, survivability might not be a problem, if you assume their summons will be dealing all the damage. Stat them all for pure defense, put them in the heaviest enchanted armor you can find, take all the best defensive talents.

Kinthalis

Banned
They do the same damage, as do (almost) all weapons within a class before modifiers http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapons

Estocs get a flat bonus DR bypass, greatswords' bonus is to pick whichever damage type is more effective between piercing and slashing. So if an enemy had 30 DR vs. pierce and 10 vs. slash, the estoc would hit with 25 DR working against it while the greatsword would only be dealing with 10 because it gets to pick to use slash damage. But if an enemy had 10 pierce DR and 10 slash DR, the estoc would only have 5 DR against it while the greatsword would still have 10.

OK, this sounds a lot better than how it was playing out in my head. Forgot about the difference in damage types.

ivb_1973

Banned
Od Nua lvl 5:
Finally I saw those fucking staircases. Now It's going to be a lot easier to traverse the endless paths. I got wrecked on the seventh floor, so I'm going to retreat by now.

Companions:
How am I supposed to pass through those druids? I want the grieving mother unto my team jajaj

I'm going to go to Defiance Bay for now... too much lvl needed for those other things. But wow, this big city feels a bit overwhelming. I need to slow my pace.

A few questions about the fortress:
Anybody knows how prisoners work? I just got the wizard impostor from Defiance Bay. And contracts? The menu states that they are pending from payment but I think it's automatic, doesn't it? Ah, and the fortress missions, I send Kana to one of them and it says that there's 8 turns left. 8 turns of what?

Lvl 2 chanter invocations:
Are the will-o-wisps useful? I just got them. I hope it's possible to use the ghost and the will-o-wisps with the same chanter. At least I could with Kana and my MC.

Ala Alba

Lvl 2 chanter invocations:
Are the will-o-wisps useful? I just got them. I hope it's possible to use the ghost and the will-o-wisps with the same chanter. At least I could with Kana and my MC.

Any given character can only summon one thing/set of things at a time. Summoning a new thing(s) will unsummon whatever is already out.

Example: If you have both the skeleton and phantom summon invocations, if you summon the skeletons (3) and then later in the same fight summon the phantom, the skeletons will despawn.

However, the limit is per character, so if you had two chanters you could each summon one thing. Figurines also count towards this limit.

Top Bottom