• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just realized I'm in act 3 and don't have
Scale-Breaker
yet. I guess I just missed the NPC when I was in
Black Meadow
?

Man, I have Black Meadow totally explored and no sign of
Falanroed
. Was there like a conversation I don't remember that ended in aggro and thus killing?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Great, looks like Obsidian is fixing the save file bug
(from the forums)

So, this will be fixed in the patch coming out (should be this week). Player traps that have been destroyed will no longer save their destroyed state in the save data. Also, we wrote a cleanup function that will remove any destroyed player traps from your save game when you first load it so you won't need to run any external save file cleaner.

On our test, Depili's MobileObjects file went from 44MB to 4.5MB so it should reduce a lot of the bloat you are getting from player traps.

There won't be any other save file reduction going into this patch but we'll keep investigating anything that looks like it shouldn't be there. If anyone notices anything that seems odd, let us know and we can look to get that cleaned out in the following patch.

O.DOGG

Just got word that my physical copy arrived at my US address. It will probably be a couple of months until I get my hands on it but that doesn't bother me at all - I have all the important stuff in digital. Enjoy to everyone who got theirs!

Just encountered a weird bug in Brackenbury where
the Sanitarium doesn't react properly to all hell breaking loose. There are a bunch of wichts standing still with their arms out that I can't trigger, and then when I go upstairs the friendlies attack me.
Hopefully reloading an earlier save will fix it.

From the devtracker, here's who wrote which companions:

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:

Aloth - Carrie Patel
Durance - Chris Avellone
Edér - me (Eric Fenstermaker)
Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone
Hiravias - Matt MacLean
Kana Rua - Olivia Veras
Pallegina - Josh Sawyer
Sagani - Carrie Patel

Violet_0

Banned
completed Durance's and Grieving Mother's personal quests, both are really well done. Durance's quest conclusion in particular is pretty great. I definitely recommend having him in your party

my main character is suddenly doing less damage and the natural DR with talents doesn't stack up to where it should be, looks like I was hit with a bug as well that disables the talents. Carnage still seems to work though

the Sanitarium doesn't react properly to all hell breaking loose. There are a bunch of wichts standing still with their arms out that I can't trigger, and then when I go upstairs the friendlies attack me.

Yep, people have talked about this. I think the solution someone mentioned was
not killing a guy who you really want to kill at the end of a certain quest. If you don't kill him then you're good. I guess. I'm not there yet. :p

Yep, people have talked about this. I think the solution someone mentioned was
not killing a guy who you really want to kill at the end of a certain quest. If you don't kill him then you're good. I guess. I'm not there yet. :p
Yeah, makes sense. Will restrain myself this time around.

JC Sera

I got that one, reloading and
not killing that one animist for his crimes
solved it
From the devtracker, here's who wrote which companions:
I'd like to know all the VAs too

Anjelus_

Just want to report that the difficulty HAS ramped up again now that I've advanced forward. I just out leveled a lot of the content in and around Defiance Bay with my massive amounts of side questing. Still nowhere near where it was in the beginning, but I'm once again facing battles that I would've lost without good use of the right spell at the right moment.

Still, Obsidian may want to tone that down in a future patch. And I still miss my high level BG2 wizard wars.

Xiraiya

Just want to report that the difficulty HAS ramped up again now that I've advanced forward. I just out leveled a lot of the content in and around Defiance Bay with my massive amounts of side questing. Still nowhere near where it was in the beginning, but I'm once again facing battles that I would've lost without good use of the right spell at the right moment.

Still, Obsidian may want to tone that down in a future patch. And I still miss my high level BG2 wizard wars.
I don't really want the game to get easier in that manner.

What difficulty are you playing on?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed Eder with cheat engine, headed through the rest of the game, thought that even with his normal stats Hard mode's difficulty was frontloaded. Then I ran into (act III spoilers)
Raedric 2.0. I must be missing some kind of charm/will defence set up, because he wrecked me so many times before I manage to get off a few aoe/cc spells. Still ended in a potion chugging race with eder versus Raedric and another fampyr. That's more like it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That bug with the permanent insect swarm made a particular bounty kind of challenging. Except that Durance could probably keep my party alive on the surface of the sun. ;b

1.03 is already built and being tested, so the fix won't be in there - it'll be in the next patch.
It's comin'!

(The fix referred to here that's not included is cosmetic, relating to the tooltips and log for damage over time not displaying properly.)

Violet_0

Banned
my character is probably the only one in all of Drywood who understands the way of their gods. Everyone else seems to get it wrong, somehow

something funny I want to try out (late act 3 spoiler)
make a promise to all of the gods and see what happens

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Well I dont missed spending 5 minutes buffing.

Is there any penalty for using a ranged weapon and being right next to an enemy/your target/engaged? I just realized I've been assuming there wasn't, but there might be.

If not then man, guns might just generally be the best weapons in the game for everyone.

Is there any penalty for using a ranged weapon and being right next to an enemy/your target/engaged? I just realized I've been assuming there wasn't, but there might be.

If not then man, guns might just generally be the best weapons in the game for everyone.

The game shows combat rolls, so it won't be difficult to figure out.

The main probem with guns is that they have an immense reload time, and a noticeable accuracy penalty. High deflection enemies will eat you for dinner.

Dresden

Just the danger of being interrupted.

FACE

Banned
So, I guess the main quest doesn't scale to your level.

Early Act 2 spoilers:
After 25 hours I've decided to go to the temple of Woedica and easily ran through everything in there with relative ease.

The game shows combat rolls, so it won't be difficult to figure out.

The main probem with guns is that they have an immense reload time, and a noticeable accuracy penalty. High deflection enemies will eat you for dinner.

I guess what I mean is, it's a very bursty game, you want to take things down as quickly as possible, so if everyone takes a +1 weapon set talent and goes into combat with at least 3 high damage guns each and switches after every shot...it's very micromanagey but that'll burst the packs down to just a couple of guys pretty quickly.

I guess what I mean is, it's a very bursty game, you want to take things down as quickly as possible, so if everyone takes a +1 weapon set talent and goes into combat with at least 3 high damage guns each and switches after every shot...it's very micromanagey but that'll burst the packs down to just a couple of guys pretty quickly.

This is a best-case scenario where enemy spellcasters don't exist, no ranged enemies are a problem, and you're not in danger of being swarmed. That's without bigger problems like DR or interruption.

Guns have their place, but I don't think it's worth building an entire team around 'em.

Xiraiya

So, I guess the main quest doesn't scale to your level.

Older RPGs don't do level scaling stuff like that, they're generally made with a flow in mind of you being roughly a certain level at certain points.

It's great because sometimes things wreck you good.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldnt be there for too long.

On the backer portal my order just said Shipping Soon but i received an email from Paradox with the shipping information and tracking number.

Turns out that the tracker just hadn't updated yet. Assuming the clearance was just updated at the end of the day along with a billion other packages I'm guessing.

The backer portal still says mine is Shipping Soon.

Violet_0

Banned
Just got to that part myself.

Let us know what happens! Hilarity will ensure, I'm certain.

all gods say that we have deal when I talk to them again, but I can only I can only have one boon at a time. I suspect bird lady will haunt me in the expansion for not upholding my part of the bargain, but probably not the others sadly

FACE

Banned
Older RPGs don't do level scaling stuff like that, they're generally made with a flow in mind of you being roughly a certain level at certain points.

It's great because sometimes things wreck you good.

I know, but I remember reading somewhere that the main quest would scale a bit. Guess they scrapped that.

Nordicus

Super slow attack speed and interruptible reload phase. I had Eder go against my main character first with a Fine Pistol, then Fine Estoc. He's proficient with both weapons

With Fine Pistol, despite my main character being very heavily armored, he got 3-5 hits off for every pistol shot, and the fight wasn't even close, Eder went down quick and my Watcher had a lot of HP to spare. With Fine Estoc however, it was actually close

Dresden

Guns have their place, but I don't think it's worth building an entire team around 'em.

I dunno, with just one talent and a chanter the reload times get pretty damn low. Getting a firing squad together stomps just about anything.

Also, Durance is a priest of Magran, and as such gets +10 to accuracy with arquebuses. Even the gods want you to roll with guns.

Sou Da

I dunno, with just one talent and a chanter the reload times get pretty damn low. Getting a firing squad together stomps just about anything.

Also, Durance is a priest of Magran, and as such gets +10 to accuracy with arquebuses. Even the gods want you to roll with guns.

Lol, I didn't even know that I gave him a Burning lash Arquebus for roleplay reasons.

This is a best-case scenario where enemy spellcasters don't exist, no ranged enemies are a problem, and you're not in danger of being swarmed. That's without bigger problems like DR or interruption.

What do you mean, enemy spellcasters don't exist?

My main is a rogue and he's my MVP right now because he one shots every enemy mage at the start of every battle with his blunderbusses. Enemy casters is probably a best case scenario, since guns are ranged, pierce their magical defenses, and they generally have low defenses anyway.

And you say "bigger problems like DR," as if guns weren't specifically designed to bypass huge chunks of it. Every gun I have ignores 4-6 DR.

What do you mean, enemy spellcasters don't exist?

My main is a rogue and he's my MVP right now because he one shots every enemy mage at the start of every battle. Enemy casters is probably a best case scenario, since guns are ranged, pierce their magical defenses, and they generally have low defenses anyway.

Hrm... you make a good point. I was thinking more of some battles I've had where some spellcasters completely debilitate my party right off the bat, leading to a slow, gruelling encounter.

Violet_0

Banned
Christ, Durance is so powerful. These fourth level powers I just unlocked are bananas.

Durance got nothing on Hiravias, imo

gunsquad is a really effective strategy, btw. All my caster have improved accuracy with fireweapons and with the fast reload chant and a certain weapon-improving 3rd level chant my party wrecks most enemy encounter

Top Bottom