• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I'm on level 3 on Od Nua and I'm wondering if there are other resolution to the Ogre quest other than
killing all the other cannibal ogres

pahamrick

Just got the Lead Spitter.

Oh my.

WhlFjVs.png

You're really making me not want to wait for the patch before I restart.

Taruranto

Meh, I like visible skill-checks in dialogue. YMMV. Make it easier to set how to do a completely different character for a next playthrough.

Tom Penny

The game got so much easier so far in chapter 2. The ass backwards grinding I was doing in the endless paths before getting to chapter 2 is paying off.

I've been really disappointed in the lack of good unique firearms up to and including Defiance Bay. I've had to buy all my blunderbusses thus far like a common peasant, and enchant them myself up from nothing.

And the first ones I saw for sale were in Defiance Bay too. Takes a long time to get your guns!

Xiraiya

Her
flames of devotion can be applied to ranged weapons, you initiate with a massive gun/crossbow attack. And then because it was used before combat started, you still have 2 per combat flames of devotion left to switch out onto your sword. You can one shot some squisher enemies with this.
That was basically how I played my Paladin all the way up to the first town, it's a very important strategy as they start off so average compared to classes like Fighter.
I feel like Flames of devotion is really bugged to only do 50% as Fire damage.

Violet_0

Banned
Btw for anyone going to replay, My high Resolution playthrough has been amazing so far, dialogue wise. There is a lot of mazing lines of not taking bullshit. Also high perception has been very useful too.

Had next to nothing from being a pale elf though.

playing as an Orlan, there were a few instances of casual racism - most of them coming from Durance, actually :p

Dresden

I'm getting blocked pretty hard in Od Nua - my damage just isn't enough to punch through the ogre packs. Had Eder and Palle get permadeath'd from all the crushing damage the ogres deal out; the fight took so long that their entire hp pool got eaten up as Consecrated Ground kept them up. This is the second time since the Wailing Banshee that I'm considering starting on hard, or rerolling a different class in PotD. Rogues deal good damage, but they seriously lack utility, CC, or aoe and it's biting them hard right now. Can't see ogre hp pools, but the druids are probably like 500hp~ish going by the amount of punishment they took.

Or I guess I can just abuse Withdraw in a doorway, but meh. Or hire adventurers instead of using the in-game npcs.

e: or I guess I can just try this again.

Violet_0

Banned
The game got so much easier so far in chapter 2. The ass backwards grinding I was doing in the endless paths before getting to chapter 2 is paying off.

aside from the lighthouse and the odd ogre murder squad it was smooth sailing from end of act 1 onwards for me (hard + expert, at the end of chapter 3, max level). They need to adjust the difficulty curve in the expansion, the beginning of the game was great in terms of challenge

K.Sabot

These type of games are the ones that I constantly have running and never turn my computer off when I play them because if I shut it down I tend to take an incredibly long break before booting it back up.

ie I haven't booted this in 2 days after playing it feverishly and enjoying every minute of it and I don't know why.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Exactly what it sounds like.
A blunderbuss that you get as a quest reward in Dyrford.

Lol

I had that quest item for the longest time and I had no idea where to turn it in, thanks. Grieving Mother is about to inflict some mayhem.

These type of games are the ones that I constantly have running and never turn my computer off when I play them because if I shut it down I tend to take an incredibly long break before booting it back up.

ie I haven't booted this in 2 days after playing it feverishly and enjoying every minute of it and I don't know why.

I was actually in a similar spot. Played like a madman for 3 days after release and then took a break to play some Skyrim and LoL. Yet for some reason I don't have any desire to keep playing PIllars for a little bit. Might've burned myself out after those marathon sessions,

Burt

I'm getting blocked pretty hard in Od Nua - my damage just isn't enough to punch through the ogre packs. Had Eder and Palle get permadeath'd from all the crushing damage the ogres deal out; the fight took so long that their entire hp pool got eaten up as Consecrated Ground kept them up. This is the second time since the Wailing Banshee that I'm considering restarting on hard, or rerolling a different class in PotD. Rogues deal good damage, but they seriously lack utility, CC, or aoe and it's biting them hard right now. Can't see ogre hp pools, but the druids are probably like 500hp~ish going by the amount of punishment they took.

Or I guess I can just abuse Withdraw in a doorway, but meh. Or hire adventurers instead of using the in-game npcs.

Have a wizard with you? Slicken ruins them. With them incapacitated like that, it shouldn't be out of the question to use a priest spell on lowering defenses. Your problem might be your leadspitter, if you're using it on them. Ogres have pretty high DR, right? I don't have any experience with blunderbusses , but I would imagine that since the damage gets divided among 8 shots none of the individual shots do enough damage to make significant gains against their DR. If that's the case, a pistol/blunderbuss/arquebus/anything with high damage and slow attack speed should work a lot better.

Sou Da

I'm getting blocked pretty hard in Od Nua - my damage just isn't enough to punch through the ogre packs. Had Eder and Palle get permadeath'd from all the crushing damage the ogres deal out; the fight took so long that their entire hp pool got eaten up as Consecrated Ground kept them up. This is the second time since the Wailing Banshee that I'm considering starting on hard, or rerolling a different class in PotD. Rogues deal good damage, but they seriously lack utility, CC, or aoe and it's biting them hard right now. Can't see ogre hp pools, but the druids are probably like 500hp~ish going by the amount of punishment they took.

e: or I guess I can just try this again.

Fan of Flames. Lots of pulling.

Juanfp

I really take a chance getting this game, 2 hours in and I am really loving it. The only thing that I don't like is when there are dialogue with voice I don't have time to read the other descriptions before the voice begin the dialogue

Dresden

Have a wizard with you? Slicken ruins them. With them incapacitated like that, it shouldn't be out of the question to use a priest spell on lowering defenses. Your problem might be your leadspitter, if you're using it on them. Ogres have pretty high DR, right? I don't have any experience with blunderbusses , but I would imagine that since the damage gets divided among 8 shots none of the individual shots do enough damage to make significant gains against their DR. If that's the case, a pistol/blunderbuss/arquebus/anything with high damage and slow attack speed should work a lot better.

Ran out of slickens in that battle, heh. If I was killing one every 8 seconds I wouldn't mind, but the in-game npcs - at least the ones available right now - don't do enough damage for path of the damned. Kinda wish there was a difficulty between it and Hard.

As for the Lead Spitter, the DR penetration actually works out to be more consistent damage right now than the other guns. Ogres pack like 10dr only, anyways, so it's not too high. (This is where I get a ptsd flashback from the lighthouse. Fuck getting mobbed by 90 deflection, 16 dr shades at level 5.) More importantly, the multiple shots seem to apply debuffs from crippling/blinding strike multiple times, so it's far more reliable in that area against the sky-high saves that every mob seems to have.

The druids seem to be casting something called moonwell, but disengaging to move them off of it just gets my tanks slaughtered after the knockdowns get used up. Gonna have to think of something else, or return later.

Burt

Ran out of slickens in that battle, heh. If I was killing one every 8 seconds I wouldn't mind, but the in-game npcs - at least the ones available right now - don't do enough damage for path of the damned. Kinda wish there was a difficulty between it and Hard.

As for the Lead Spitter, the DR penetration actually works out to be more consistent damage right now than the other guns. Ogres pack like 10dr only, anyways, so it's not too high. (This is where I get a ptsd flashback from the lighthouse. Fuck getting mobbed by 90 deflection, 16 dr shades at level 5.) More importantly, the multiple shots seem to apply debuffs from crippling/blinding strike multiple times, so it's far more reliable in that area against the sky-high saves that every mob seems to have.

The druids seem to be casting something called moonwell, but disengaging to move them off of it just gets my tanks slaughtered after the knockdowns get used up. Gonna have to think of something else, or return later.
Ack, yeah didn't realize you were PotD. That does complicate things. I could see how sticking with just companions in your party could start to hurt at that point.

Moonwell definitely seems to be the problem. "Creates stationary radius in which allies recover Endurance and gain a bonus to all defenses.[1]". That's just mean. I don't even know how you counter grounded effects like that when you can't run away.

Blizzard

Banned
I just explored (act 1)
A bunch of Caed Nua
. It's kind of odd how much effort went into doing all that art with literally ONE object that I found to click on (containing an item). Everything else is just monsters and magnifying glass flavor text. I realize that something may change
if I do the Maerwald quest or whatever
, but for now it's a really boring place to explore.

Violet_0

Banned
you probably shouldn't fight ogres below level 9 anyway (if that's the case). A steady bombardment of druid and cypher aoe spells (insect swarm and blizzard), concentrated gunline fire and tank blocking the chokepoint (although it's kinda difficult to really tank an ogre) could do the trick. Or hit and run if the area allows it

I just explored (act 1)
A bunch of Caed Nua
. It's kind of odd how much effort went into doing all that art with literally ONE object that I found to click on (containing an item). Everything else is just monsters and magnifying glass flavor text. I realize that something may change
if I do the Maerwald quest or whatever
, but for now it's a really boring place to explore.

Finish the quest and you can start
rebuilding the place and explore Od Nua
I think it's worth.

MartyStu

Is it worth getting adventurers at all?

I have the first 3 companions and am steamrolling everything thus far, but I hear that adventurers are needed for stronghold missions later on.

Violet_0

Banned

I have the first 3 companions and am steamrolling everything thus far, but I hear that adventurers are needed for stronghold missions later on.

only at the very beginning, maybe
you'll have a companion surplus that can deal with the stronghold stuff later on

It's definitely worth using at least one because you can't get a full party for a bit otherwise.

Blizzard

Banned
More about that place I keep asking about:

There are maybe 8-10 enemies guarding a coffin in a single room in the dungeon, so I assume that coffin contains the key and the dungeon is therefore out of the equation.

On the roof, I managed to sneak down to the courtyard without getting in a fight, but there are no less than THIRTEEN enemies guarding the hall door there. I don't see any way in without killing them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

There are maybe 8-10 enemies guarding a coffin in a single room in the dungeon, so I assume that coffin contains the key and the dungeon is therefore out of the equation.

On the roof, I managed to sneak down to the courtyard without getting in a fight, but there are no less than THIRTEEN enemies guarding the hall door there. I don't see any way in without killing them.

Coming in from the roof there is someone on the floor with all the priests that will assist you. In return for helping him he will show you a secret passage that will bypass the guards. In the dungeon there is another person that will do something similar as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Coming in from the roof there is someone on the floor with all the priests that will assist you. In return for helping him he will show you a secret passage that will bypass the guards. In the dungeon there is another person that will do something similar as well.
Are you talking path of the damned difficulty? I don't see any such person in either place.

The dungeon has a locked door that requires a key (no lockpicking), so you're forced to defeat 8+ undead to get to a coffin. The roof has a keep hall door, unless you're talking about temple storage. The keep hall door is guarded by 13+ soldiers, mages, etc. who all attack on sight.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Are you talking path of the damned difficulty? I don't see any such person in either place.

The dungeon has a locked door that requires a key (no lockpicking), so you're forced to defeat 8+ undead to get to a coffin. The roof has a keep hall door, unless you're talking about temple storage. The keep hall door is guarded by 13+ soldiers, mages, etc. who all attack on sight.

What place are you talking about?

What's the size of the game world? I'm wondering how long it will take me if I like to complete a lot of it.
40 hours on the low end.

So, I'm about to start this game, pretty excited and all, but having a hard time deciding on who my main character class should be. Planning on either a Godlike Barbarian, a Aumaua Monk or an, Orlan (or Elf) Rogue. What do you guys think?

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but
I'm planning to have all 11 classes available in my playthrough and swap accordingly to keep things fresh. I know companions cover eight of those classes. So I'll create the remaining three character classes not covered by the companions, with one of them being my main character.

So those with experience playing these three classes, care to let me know what you guys think of them? Simple pros and cons will be appreciated.

Blizzard

Banned
What place are you talking about?

40 hours on the low end.
The place
on the roof of Raedric's keep. I talked to a friend who said that I needed to be on the highest floor. So I guess the place I need to go is called "Temple Storage". Unfortunately that area has at minimum 2 really tough guards I have to defeat, and potentially 6+ including a mage. Stealth 3 won't let me sneak past even the first guard so I can't try to sneak in the door. I might try with a rogue later for like, stealth 4.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So, I'm about to start this game, pretty excited and all, but having a hard time deciding on who my main character class should be. Planning on either a Godlike Barbarian, a Aumaua Monk or an, Orlan (or Elf) Rogue. What do you guys think?

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but
I'm planning to have all 11 classes available in my playthrough and swap accordingly to keep things fresh. I know companions cover eight of those classes. So I'll create the remaining three character classes not covered by the companions, with one of them being my main character.

So those with experience playing three classes, care to let me know what you guys think of them? Simple pros and cons will be appreciated.

im playing a Death Godlike Barbarian and im loving it. Went heavy into Might and Intelligence (Int to get larger radius AoE from the Barbs Rampage autoattacks). Once the tank get swarmed with 4 guys i charge into the fray and slice all of them up with each swing.

The place
on the roof of Raedric's keep. I talked to a friend who said that I needed to be on the highest floor. So I guess the place I need to go is called "Temple Storage". Unfortunately that area has at minimum 2 really tough guards I have to defeat, and potentially 6+ including a mage. Stealth 3 won't let me sneak past even the first guard so I can't try to sneak in the door. I might try with a rogue later for like, stealth 4.
You can get to the priest floor from the top of the keep accessed by the vines. You can also get there by going up the stairs from below. You will know you are in the right place because there will be boxes filled with priest robes you use for a disguise and the whole floor is filled with priests. On that floor is someone to talk with. In the dungeon the person doing all the experiments you can also talk with. Both give options to get around the guards.

kai3345

Banned

You can
find a bunch of priest's robes that your party can wear, disguising them. they'll be able to walk freely through the dungeon but watch out, you might be stopped by priests who don't recognize you. you can skill-check out of it, but the checks become more difficult after every close call

DTKT

I'm not sure I'm quite happy with the removal of XP for monster kills. Once you fill the "bestiary" journal, some fights feel a lot less rewarding because you know that the loot is useless.

I'm not sure what it was trying to fix in the first place. Power-levelling? Unbalanced gameplay? More control over a player progression?

goblin

Blaarrrrjaklpdfjlkanvlkdnl

I had put a completely unreasonable and embarrassing amount of time into the game over however few days it took me to get to Twin Elms and wanted to get back to being a productive human being, so by that point I wasn't stopping for sidequests, or flavor text, or big capital letters on my save games. Generally when I do a manual save, I just go immediately to the bottom of my save list and click the last one without reading anything, so I guess that did me in. I'm assuming they made a new slot for it and you're not just talking about an autosave? Somehow I managed to save manually like 7 times between going in and the end.

Yeah, they make a new slot for it right above your latest manual save (at the time). Sorry to hear you overwrote it. That sucks.

Stantron

I noticed windows told me that some voice sound files were corrupt in a pop up window by the bottom right when I booted windows. So I go into steam, right-click PoE, then properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache. It tells me a bunch of files need to be re-downloaded. But then the game still shows as "Pillars of Eternity - Download paused".

I ended up deleting the game and re-download it, but I'm getting a getting "an error occurred while updating pillars of eternity (disk read error)" window when trying to launch my game, and it still shows "Pillars of Eternity - Download paused".
Anyone know what I can do to fix?

O.DOGG

I noticed windows told me that some voice sound files were corrupt in a pop up window by the bottom right when I booted windows. So I go into steam, right-click PoE, then properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache. It tells me a bunch of files need to be re-downloaded. But then the game still shows as "Pillars of Eternity - Download paused".

I ended up deleting the game and re-download it, but I'm getting a getting "an error occurred while updating pillars of eternity (disk read error)" window when trying to launch my game, and it still shows "Pillars of Eternity - Download paused".
Anyone know what I can do to fix?

Check the drive you're downloading it to for errrors. Sounds like it's not able to write the files for some reason, and a drive error may be a reason why the files were corrupted in the first place.

This is the true answer.

In the Legend of Zelda, when the old man tells Link, "It's dangerous to go alone; take this." Lead Spitter is what he was referring to.

How come Zelda keeps having to save the princess in every game? Doesn't he get tired of saving the princess?

Top Bottom