• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Stantron

Check the drive you're downloading it to for errrors. Sounds like it's not able to write the files for some reason, and a drive error may be a reason why the files were corrupted in the first place.

I just rebooted my machine after doing a chkdsk.exe.
It ran a bunch of correction and restoring stuff.
Launched PoE, which took some time to update/install a bunch of stuff.
Looks like I'm back in business. :D *phew*

thanks for the reply.

O.DOGG

thanks for the reply.

You are welcome :)

Blizzard

Banned

thanks for the reply.
BE WARNED, if chkdsk is reporting errors that may be a sign that your hard disk is on the way out. Back up stuff if you have anything you don't want to lose! You may have gotten lucky.

On an ingame note, why are things like potions labeled "instant" if they take 2-3 seconds for the animation to complete? Also, I've tested multiple classes, and they all seem to still yell "IT'S NOT WORKING" when they do something like buffing themselves, or otherwise using an ability that works. It's kind of silly.

Vaga

FUCK got hit by the parasitic staff bug in the temple
of Eothas
. Wished I known this before I started using it.

Vaga

It's a game breaking bug. I summon a weapon that should dissapear after a set time but instead I get stuck with it (but can't use in combat), also I lost the grimoire and can't cast any spell. I have just my bare hands.

The staff is stuck in the weapon slot, I can unequip it only by double clicking but can't equip other weapons. I can however give the weapon to other characters that can use it or I can sell it at vendors. Profit!

What sucks more is that was the only I could have decent damage in that fuckin temple. Those stupid shades fuck me up big time. Can't remember mages being so sucky in BG.

Stantron

BE WARNED, if chkdsk is reporting errors that may be a sign that your hard disk is on the way out. Back up stuff if you have anything you don't want to lose! You may have gotten lucky.
I've gotten a few disk checks during boot up over the last few months. Yeah, I think it's time to transfer the files and replace the drive. It's an almost maxed 1TB Samsung F3, which I'm using as a secondary drive to hold Steam/Origin content. Only about three years old. But I think I'll get a new 3TB drive soon.

Thanks for the tip.

kafiend

You can
find a bunch of priest's robes that your party can wear, disguising them. they'll be able to walk freely through the dungeon but watch out, you might be stopped by priests who don't recognize you. you can skill-check out of it, but the checks become more difficult after every close call

You only need to have your main character disguised. The rest of the party do not need them. There is also someone that gives you a pass-phrase to give anyone that challenges you.

Blizzard

Banned
I found a ring that gives me the
combusting wounds
spell. It seems that ever since I started wearing that ring, however, my chanter's verse scrolling animation does not show up. If I cast the spell it typically starts scrolling soon after.

Has anyone seen something that makes the verses not scroll? The counter seems to go up anyway so I can still use chanter abilities, but it's weird that there is no animation.

Morzak

What are the best weapons for a rogue in your opinion??

I went with a dualwield spec, for my rogue and I'm using 2 Spears at the moment since they give + accuracy. But weapons can change. 2nd Waeponset has an Arbalest to open up fights, which often takes one enemy out of the fight completely. If I had to do It again I would probably go for a Ranged specc, since I'm not to hot on melee DPS in the game. Enemies seem way more likely to break engagement if they get attacked from a melee DPS character. And my Rogue really can't off tank well enough to take aggro for more then a few hits.

Spookie

That's it. I'm fucking done with this till they fix it. I've just equipped an item which completely broke the Cipher. My main damage dealer is now complete fucked and unable to gain focus.

I'm so tired of this shit, I'm honestly fucked off they haven't put multiple hotfixes out to solve these problems.

I'm not sure I'm quite happy with the removal of XP for monster kills. Once you fill the "bestiary" journal, some fights feel a lot less rewarding because you know that the loot is useless.

I'm not sure what it was trying to fix in the first place. Power-levelling? Unbalanced gameplay? More control over a player progression?

Forcing players to kill every single mob to max their experience gain. I for one am really glad I could just sneak through most of
Raedric Hold
without feeling I have to kill every single enemy, dragging out the quest.

Blizzard

Banned
Forcing players to kill every single mob to max their experience gain. I for one am really glad I could just sneak through most of
Raedric Hold
without feeling I have to kill every single enemy, dragging out the quest.
I finally made it through that Act 1 location on solo expert path of the damned, but the sad part is I both had to kill stuff (
One guard on the roof and a bunch of stuff in the dungeon
), and didn't even get level 4 out of it. Now I'm at an annoying situation and not sure how to resolve the quest:

Both sides want me to assassinate the other, in the middle of a ton of guards.

Ourobolus

Banned
Decided to take on the Endless Path. First floor wasn't too bad. Was REALLY dumb when it came to the traps though. I usually sneak everywhere but I was in a rush to clear the floor before I had to leave. Damn near wiped my party out.

Also, I went ahead and massacred the
Doemenels
because they wouldn't let me do their quests. Got a bunch of loot to sell now. Fuckers.

I finally made it through that Act 1 location on solo expert path of the damned, but the sad part is I both had to kill stuff (
One guard on the roof and a bunch of stuff in the dungeon
), and didn't even get level 4 out of it. Now I'm at an annoying situation and not sure how to resolve the quest:

Both sides want me to assassinate the other, in the middle of a ton of guards.

What class/build are you playing, out of curiosity?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm not sure I'm quite happy with the removal of XP for monster kills. Once you fill the "bestiary" journal, some fights feel a lot less rewarding because you know that the loot is useless.

I'm not sure what it was trying to fix in the first place. Power-levelling? Unbalanced gameplay? More control over a player progression?

Powerleveling. In the IE games you could abuse enemy encounters to get to level cap in a very short while.

Personally i much prefer having objective based XP.

Staf

God damn do i love this game. Feels so damn good to play an RPG with a proper dialogue system after Dragon age. And the combat? Im in love.

Blizzard

Banned
What class/build are you playing, out of curiosity?
I've tried:

Barbarian (reddit mentions this seems like a good option past level 4), ranger + bear, chanter + phantom. The latter two are the only ones I've had occasional success in battles with, but apparently I'm missing some key techniques thus far. I haven't made it to level 4 with anything and I'm still trying to figure out viable quests that aren't combat-heavy.

Someone on Reddit also claims to have 100% infiltrated Raedric's keep with stealth 4, and I don't know how they avoided that top guard right after the vines unless certain classes like rogue have more movespeed.

Someone also claims they did Caed Nua with stealth and I -really- want to figure that one out.

Chaos17

Powerleveling. In the IE games you could abuse enemy encounters to get to level cap in a very short while.

Personally i much prefer having objective based XP.

Not getting any EXP after killing a pack of 10 mobs is... depressing.
Filling the bestiary page dedicated to the monster happen so fast that you stop early getting exp from that monster.

So no, I dislike this system a lot.
It's not rewarding my effort to have survived and lived through another new day.

Edit : it also nerf the mercanry system because they will be usually a level behind and will have a hard time to catch up if you don't recruit them when you're level 1.

Alavard

So, a warning to anyone else who didn't pick up on all the politics of Defiance Bay when they first entered - The Expedition Hall is run by The Dozens. This is not really a spoiler. It's supposed to be self evident, but I didn't pick up on it immediately, only being told later that certain people wouldn't work with me, because I was too friendly with The Dozens (which confused me).

More specifically:
despite having the exact same very high reputation with the Crucible Knights and with The Expedition Hall/The Dozens, I may not align with the Crucible Knights. Very annoying.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Od Nua question for anyone who's been to level 7+

What's the deal with the four like elemental turbine things on floor 7? I activated them all but nothing seemed to happen as a result. I thought it would make a mob spawn or something.

Ourobolus

Banned
Someone also claims they did Caed Nua with stealth and I -really- want to figure that one out.[/spoiler]

Me too. This is really what's haunting me on trying out a Solo Triple Crown run. At least as far as Act 1 is concerned.

So, a warning to anyone else who didn't pick up on all the politics of Defiance Bay when they first entered - The Expedition Hall is run by The Dozens. This is not really a spoiler. It's supposed to be self evident, but I didn't pick up on it immediately, only being told later that certain people wouldn't work with me, because I was too friendly with The Dozens (which confused me).

More specifically:
despite having the exact same very high reputation with the Crucible Knights and with The Expedition Hall/The Dozens, I may not align with the Crucible Knights. Very annoying.

Yeah, this wasn't really evident to me at first either. Locked me out of the quests with the
Doemenels. So I massacred every last one of them because they're assholes anyway.

Not getting any EXP after killing a pack of 10 mobs is... depressing.
Filling the bestiary page dedicated to the monster happen so fast that you stop early getting exp from that monster.

So no, I dislike this system a lot.
It's not rewarding my effort to have survived and lived through another new day.

Edit : it also nerf the mercanry system because they will be usually a level behind and will have a hard time to catch up if you don't recruit them when you're level 1.

Once you've fought enough wolves, you become the master of fighting wolves, and know everything about them. No new experience can be gained from wolf-fighting. But you can keep doing it in case one of them swallowed a gem or something.

It's not necessarily supposed to be the kind of game where you can see and do literally everything and be at max level. You're supposed to make choices and sacrifices.

Even with that said, I've heard it's actually quite easy to reach max level in the game and there might be enough XP to have a second party up there as well?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Od Nua question for anyone who's been to level 7+

What's the deal with the four like elemental turbine things on floor 7? I activated them all but nothing seemed to happen as a result. I thought it would make a mob spawn or something.

I reached floor 11 and did the same thing as you and got the same result. Could be bugged or could be something on the lower floors.

Just a short question for those that backed the KS for physical tier stuff. Did you get your stuff? Because I backed for the Collector's Edition Box and I haven't gotten jack shit.

Once you've fought enough wolves, you become the master of fighting wolves, and know everything about them. No new experience can be gained from wolf-fighting. But you can keep doing it in case one of them swallowed a gem or something.

It's not necessarily supposed to be the kind of game where you can see and do literally everything and be at max level. You're supposed to make choices and sacrifices.

Even with that said, I've heard it's actually quite easy to reach max level in the game and there might be enough XP to have a second party up there as well?

I don;t know about amount of XP, but I'm at the end of Act II and am about halfway to level 10. I heard the maximum level was 12, so I'm guessing unless XP gains rapidly drop off in the second half of the game reaching max level shouldn't be hard.

I should note that I have got to level 8 of the Endless Paths, so I have the XP from there in addition to most of the quests in Act I–2.

zonezeus

I reached floor 11 and did the same thing as you and got the same result. Could be bugged or could be something on the lower floors.

There are Greater Blights guarding the path to lower levels, my guess is that fidling with elemental turbines eliminates corresponding Greater Blights from the map. In my case I turned on (or off or whatever) turbines of fire and air before stumbling upon the door to lower levels and there were Greater Earth Blight nad Greater Rain Blight still guarding it. They were weak cunts anyway and since I'm not sure you get exp from turbines it might have been better to kill them the old-fashioned way and get some sweet bestiary exp.

Aaron D.

God damn do i love this game. Feels so damn good to play an RPG with a proper dialogue system after Dragon age. And the combat? Im in love.

Preach it. The lead writer for Pillars deserves an award.

It's so refreshing to read words that are not only well-crafted, but nuanced & mature in theme. There's no simplistic right or wrong in this world, but more complex shades of gray. People sometimes do horrible things for admirable reasons, and your decision making in the dialogue trees has far more to do with justice than binary right & wrong. This nuance reveals an incredible confidence in the audience's intelligent that I madly respect.

Also love the flavor text in every dialogue box. Instead of the simplistic "He said this, then she said that.", it's brimming with text on facial expressions, non-verbal language, etc. It brings the characters to life, using common prose tools & techniques found in literature to describe the whole scene and not just the spoken words.

The quality and level of writing in this game is a marked step above what we're seeing virtually anywhere else in the field.

Hot-damn this game is awesome.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just a short question for those that backed the KS for physical tier stuff. Did you get your stuff? Because I backed for the Collector's Edition Box and I haven't gotten jack shit.

Yes. The backer page said Shipping Soon but i had received an email a couple days earlier from Paradox saying that my items had been sent out. The email had the tracking number and it shipped out USPS. i had the collectors boxed edition and it came in a 12" cube box.

Galileo

Neo Member
European here, no email yet, "My Orders" page on PoE website just says "Shipping soon".

Kinthalis

Banned
I'm running quests in Act 2 in Defiance Bay, getting into some tough scrapes, when I realized I hadn't played witht he enchantment system!

Now everyone's weapons are fine and doing some extra fire or lightning damage ;)

Yes. The backer page said Shipping Soon but i had received an email a couple days earlier from Paradox saying that my items had been sent out. The email had the tracking number and it shipped out USPS. i had the collectors boxed edition and it came in a 12" cube box.

European here, no email yet, "My Orders" page on PoE website just says "Shipping soon".

Okay, so maybe the rewards for Europeans go out at a later date.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Patch 1.03 is locked off and in testing. Still planned for this week. I suppose it's possible we may see it later today. They are already working on Patch 1.04.

US here and my order is still "shipping soon".

i just want to note that i have the game on my shelf and My Orders on the website still says Shipping Soon. The email was from Paradox Interactive and not Obsidian. The email subject is "Your swag is on the way (order xxxxxxxxx),"

Also the email makes no mention that the game was coming with it. It just had a listing of all the extras like mousepads, shirts, and stuff.

i just want to note that i have the game on my shelf and My Orders on the website still says Shipping Soon. The email was from Paradox Interactive and not Obsidian. The email subject is "Your swag is on the way (order xxxxxxxxx),"

Also the email makes no mention that the game was coming with it. It just had a listing of all the extras like mousepads, shirts, and stuff.

Thanks! I had missed that email and now see that it shipped and should be here today.

I certainly think Obsidian handled the physical rewqards better than Inxile and Wasteland 2.

Taruranto

Is
Burial Isle
the end of the game?

In BG2 and similar it was popular to complete a quest then murder the NPC for exp (the fish city for example was perfect for this)

It also makes think a little more fair for people going for a diplomatic or stealth approach.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Is
Burial Isle
the end of the game?

In BG2 and similar it was popular to complete a quest then murder the NPC for exp (the fish city for example was perfect for this)

It also makes think a little more fair for people going for a diplomatic or stealth approach.

Should go totally old school- no XP for kills at all. Just gold everywhere!

Is
Burial Isle
the end of the game?

And resting in an area with undead using a Cleric with turn undead... made solo runs a cake-walk.

Much prefer it the way it is here. In fact I was surprised I got any XP at all, but it makes perfect sense the way it is. The loot system is great for just grabbing all the trash you get and selling it. I'm quite a long way into act 2 and still don't have enough cash to go around between enchanting, the keep, and getting equipment from vendors. I've seen people complain that there's nothing to buy but there're a lot of great expensive items that'll make life easier on Path of the Damned. Makes killing stuff worth it without making it completely necessary (and you really would rather avoid a lot of encounters!).

Is
Burial Isle
the end of the game?

Yeah. This is, IMO, the ideal approach to XP, and other than getting small XP awards for things, mirrors how I handle it in my tabletop games. Sure, you don't get XP for every enemy you kill, but there's usually other rewards, like successfully removing an obstacle, getting new information, or finding cool treasure.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Per-encounter level 1 spells once you get a level 9 wizard is ridiculous. slicks and fire aoes for days. Same with priest, defense+crit buff every encounter.

Top Bottom