• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Kinthalis

Banned
I trust we have absolutely no ETA for the expansion?

Nah, and we won't for a while. We know one (actually I think 2 are planned, no?) are coming. That's about it. I wouldn't expect to hear anything about the first one until atleast fall, and I think there's only a small chance of seeig it by holiday 2015, more likely spring 2016.

Just my WAG though. Who knows, they might be able to ramp up production now that they are used to working with the tools.

Would also love to see them migrate to Unity 5 if that's workable.

Thanks all. Sounds pretty great. Close to Baldur's Gate 3 is music to my ears. And I don't mind that the game is more serious than D:OS. Bring on that high fantasy.

Tempted to wait for the first patch, though I'll have to at least put in a few hours checking stuff out later tonight. I'm pumped.

Ala Alba

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone else feel that Lions are the best ranger pet? Having a per-encounter AoE Frighten just seems better than all the other options.

Kinthalis

Banned
On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone else feel that Lions are the best ranger pet? Having a per-encounter AoE Frighten just seems better than all the other options.

Probably. I'm rolling with a wolf and I like him fine, but I'm kinda wishing I woudl have gone with the lion.

The wolf does move super fast though.He can go from the rear ranks, next to my ranger with bow, to tanking enemies before most spells and attacks start to fly! IT also makes it easier to have him flank or move to harass spell casters. He can move away, circle aorudn the back and munch on a cipher or archer in only a few seconds.

Serrato

Seeing all the ''Mind Blades Nooooooooo'' means it really was OP if everyone was using it like that.

Some could argue why balance a SP game, but at the same time, if such abilities render everything trivial, what's the point (I'm looking at you, Slicken!)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Thanks all. Sounds pretty great. Close to Baldur's Gate 3 is music to my ears.

Speaking of, the music in this game is wonderful. It totally sounds like it could be unused BG tracks from over a decade ago.

As for the patch notes: that Ila nerf is strong, but I mean eder+ 5 people with guns was pretty much the best way to play the game for most situations so it makes sense.

Seeing all the ''Mind Blades Nooooooooo'' means it really was OP if everyone was using it like that.

Some could argue why balance a SP game, but at the same time, if such abilities render everything trivial, what's the point (I'm looking at you, Slicken!)

Agreed, I think it's silly when people decry nerfs/balance efforts in SP games. Developers should always strive for a balanced, cohesive experience in their games.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm a little scared by so many balance changes after only 10 days, but I'm glad they're fixing so many bugs.

not quite correct
the priest only wants you to free the prisoner, not kill the animancer
I was talking about the part after that. Here's where I am stuck in Act 1:

Raedric wants me to kill Kolsc, and vice versa. Both are very heavily guarded.

Blizzard

Banned
No one pointed it out yet, but it looks like this fixes the plague of insects duration problem.

Also I was wondering if it was intentional that summoning the quarterstaff with a wizard disabled your spells...looks like no! Rejoice in your new quarterstaff plus spell abilities.

Annubis

You can now cast AoEs on party member portraits and the spell will be targeted at the companion's location.

YES!
I was doing this all the time because I always did that in BG and it was pissing me off that my character basically casted anywhere instead.

EDIT:
Raised the bonus for having fewer than six party members from 5% per character under the limit to 10% per character under the limit.

Could you use this to run solo and get a party of 6 at max level (or level 11 hirelings) quicker?
Sounds like a possible yet very hard way.

Raytow

It was good against weak/medium mobs nothing gamebreaking, unless you ran two ciphers, then yeah...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
YES!
I was doing this all the time because I always did that in BG and it was pissing me off that my character basically casted anywhere instead.

It took me embarrassing long to realize that priest heals were AoE, because I would try to cast them on portraits and Durance would fucking like just run to the end of the map.

Anoregon

Wait, there's a bonus for running less than 6 characters? I assume this in an XP bonus?

I would imagine so, but the XP cap seems pretty easy to hit with a full party anyway.

Aaron D.

funk7GW.jpg

Oh hells yeah!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The change to Curse of Blackened Sight might make it usable now that Slicken isn't the only 1st level spell I need anymore.

More ways to give that sweet sweet sneak attack bonus.

Also
Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak.
I am intrigued as to what this means. Could Aloth's stats be getting a tweak?

cirrhosis

I like these changes.

I've held off on continuing my game until the patch is released. Will probably start all over just as well.

Kyuur

I like these changes.

I've held off on continuing my game until the patch is released. Will probably start all over just as well.

This is what I am doing too.

Hope the patch releases later today or tomorrow so I have a full long weekend to play!

Anoregon

I like these changes.

whynotboth.jpg. I'm on act 3, gonna finish my game, then start a fresh one.

The change to Curse of Blackened Sight might make it usable now that Slicken isn't the only 1st level spell I need anymore.

More ways to give that sweet sweet sneak attack bonus.
I like this spell for precisely this reason. Not actually sure it needs to be any more powerful. Basically "does it give sneak attack??" has been the guiding principle for a lot of my ability/spell selections. But my rogue has 40% of my party kills, so it makes sense.

Xiraiya

So I just ran into a weird situation where my Paladin VS a Fighter class enemy just got stuck in a stalemate in 1 Vs 1.
My deflection is too high for him to kill me anytime soon, but because Fighters continuously regenerate endurance, my Paladin neither has the power or accuracy to actually outpace their regeneration.

So it works out that eventually the Paladin will die from losing all his endurance over a long period of time with only limited ways of regenerating it, while the fighter essentially outlives and/or becomes unkillable from continuously regenerating more than what he loses

Interesting, I don't think that's how that match up should go personally, but anyway.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I like this spell for precisely this reason. Not actually sure it needs to be any more powerful. Basically "does it give sneak attack??" has been the guiding principle for a lot of my ability/spell selections. But my rogue has 40% of my party kills, so it makes sense.

I mean that since it is now Foe Only AoE, I will actually cast it instead of only using it sparingly when I can position the AoE just so. It is of course great. Not as great as Slicken was, but maybe on par now when we see how good "new Slicken" is after the patch.

Kimaka

• Fast melee weapons do slightly more damage.
Aw, yeah.

• Tuned down Mind Blades.
  • Slicken spell is now a single hit AoE.
Shit. I just started using Slicken too.

Arcteryx

So I just ran into a weird situation where my Paladin VS a Fighter class enemy just got stuck in a stalemate in 1 Vs 1.
My deflection is too high for him to kill me anytime soon, but because Fighters continuously regenerate endurance, my Paladin neither has the power or accuracy to actually outpace their regeneration.

So it works out that eventually the Paladin will die from losing all his endurance over a long period of time with only limited ways of regenerating it, while the fighter essentially outlives and/or becomes unkillable from continuously regenerating more than what he loses

Interesting, I don't think that's how that match up should go personally, but anyway.

Fighter is the true tank in the game.

There are some +endurance on hit weapons though in the game, if you want to make your Paladin more useful.

So I think I finally figured out how an armour's DR works.

10 DR - 5 Piercing, 15 Crushing means that every DR is 10, EXCEPT for Pierce/Crush, which are 5 and 15 respectively.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Really wish they would release the patch as beta. Have tomorrow off (but am out of town this weekend) and would love to try it out.

Ketch

This game feels so old school that the idea of developer made patches for PoE is blowing my mind. good bye fan-made fixes.

Xiraiya

Fighter is the true tank in the game.

There are some +endurance on hit weapons though in the game, if you want to make your Paladin more useful.
I'm realizing how true that is, and to me it just makes me wonder why there's even a Paladin class.

In my experience in different RPGS new and old, Paladins are some of the beefiest bastards there are and no other melee class can or should be able to tank like they do, that the whole point of Paladins, you sit them out in front and everything runs into a badass wall of steel.
So it just seems ridiculous that regular fighters are really that good in most aspects of melee with nothing but a simple bit of regeneration and good base accuracy on weapons.

If worst comes to worst and I have to reroll a fighter so be it, but this shouldn't be how things are for Paladins in my opinion.

_DrMario_

Never used any of those spells I think so the nerf doesn't affect me. On the other hand my dual wield rogue didn't really need to get stronger but I'll take the buff lol.

I'm gonna stop playing this game until they release a patch for this game. While playing, I had some annoying bugs that mostly happened during combat.

Top Bottom