• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

dey all about dat iselmyr tho

pretty sure that's in there actually

Huh, really? Lemme take a sec and I'll hit it again.

Yup, you're right

"Fixed save game issues with spells and abilities that place down traps."

Edit: So that's...every single bug I've heard of, with the only exception being those cypher breaking items, but at least the game can recover from them now. Wow, good job Obsidian.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Huh, really? Lemme take a sec and I'll hit it again.

Yup, you're right

"Fixed save game issues with spells and abilities that place down traps."

Edit: So that's...every single bug I've heard of, with the only exception being those cypher breaking items, but at least the game can recover from them now. Wow, good job Obsidian.

Pretty sure those are mentioned too

JC Sera

Most of my party banter has been people bullying Aloth. Poor guy.
I know right?
Feel so sorry for him that
his other half is way more popular
Also his response to Eder asking does he want a drink was the first time I've heard him be outright happy

Pretty sure those are mentioned too

Yes, they are, and I said that.

"The items Drinking Horn of Moderation and Talisman of the Unconquerable were causing Ciphers to permanently lower their amount of focus gain. We've included a fix to retroactively resolve the issue on Ciphers but the effect is still on the items. Unfortunately the fix will not fix the broken effect on those items, so you'll need to keep those items unequipped until the next patch. If you do equip them, perform a Save/Load to fix your Cipher."

The items aren't fixed yet, but the game can recover from the damage they do on save/load. That's what I said.

Xiraiya

Jesus christ, I think I may have just discovered something about Paladins that I need to double check with people who are playing them, if what I'm seeing here in my game after messing around with numbers is true.

I think Faith and Devotion might be straight up broken and aren't applying their bonuses at all, but I feel like someone would have noticed that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
And done.

61 hours total. Did everything there was to do.

No words really. Just an absolutely amazing game top to bottom. I hope Obsidian makes shitloads of cash off of this and makes many more.

JC Sera

And done.

No words really. Just an absolutely amazing game top to bottom. I hope Obsidian makes shitloads of cash off of this and makes many more.
Paradox announced that they got 18.5m of releasing Cities and PoE in the last 3 weeks
Paradox filling the holes in peoples hearts with games
happytears.gif

ALSO MIND BLADE NERF GDI

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And done.

Some day they will make the spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol and we can once again see the best dialogue wheel system in action

Beloved

The nerf to the Arbalest damage + the nerf to Sure-Handed Ila Knocked will hurt me a bit.
With that and the change to Beloved Spirits I may actually discard Kana Rua.

I noticed that, though I've been thinking of dropping Kana soonish anyway but that gives me more of a reason to. Especially since I *just* unlocked Beloved Spirits for him.

I've been loving playing a Cipher as my main character though, man it's so refreshing to have choices and customization beyond just "Human Knight" or "Elf Wizard" etc.

Some day they will make the spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol and we can once again see the best dialogue wheel system in action

The Dialog Wheel is terrible, but Alpha Protocol totally legitimized its use through the one-word cinematic dialog system.

And done.

60-ish hours seems like a great length considering when I bullshit boots of speed my way through BG2 and ToB that only came out to 79 hours. A lot of the length they cut was "bad length" of just running around the map because the old games had no run/fast mode.

Salsa

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, English is not my first language. :p

M79BwLc.jpg

The white part is voiced, the rest isn't. So you start reading "She turns her eyes" but the voice acting is already going "She's was always so stubborn". Reaaaally annoying.

To be honest, this particular example is not so bad, but the constant focus on facial expressions with some NPC was annoying.

same here.

I mean I deal cause I like the description but as someone who doesnt speak english as a first language (might have something to do with it) it screws me up while reading/listening

Dresden

60-ish hours seems like a great length considering when I bullshit boots of speed my way through BG2 and ToB that only came out to 79 hours. A lot of the length they cut was "bad length" of just running around the map because the old games had no run/fast mode.

Not gonna lie, when I'm running around Defiance Bay I still miss ctrl-j teleporting just to get around the city.

Purkake4

Banned
I mean honestly, they could just call it Beta Decorum, mix up all the organization numbers and no one could sue them. It's not exactly a unique setting.

petghost

Banned
I just wanna see obsidian get weird. Maybe not in the direction of that class based Tetris thing but I wanna see them make an rpg in a far out setting.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My 18 dex rogue
jumped across the creek at Cliaban Rilagand sprained his ankle.

w
t
f

My load (and save) times seem to have gotten out of control, but I haven't laid any traps (manually or with a chant).... It's not enough to stop playing (I love this game too much), but it's definitely a bummer. Looking at the patch notes, maybe I'm out of luck this go 'round, unless there's something extra under the hood.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean honestly, they could just call it Beta Decorum, mix up all the organization numbers and no one could sue them. It's not exactly a unique setting.

The problem is voice acting adds tremendously to this type of system.

Volodja

I noticed that, though I've been thinking of dropping Kana soonish anyway but that gives me more of a reason to. Especially since I *just* unlocked Beloved Spirits for him.

I've been loving playing a Cipher and my main character though, man it's so refreshing to have choices and customization beyond just "Human Knight" or "Elf Wizard" etc.
Well I've recently revamped my Chanters setup (my main is a summoner tank chanter) so that Kana would use Ila Knocked and At the Sight of their Comrades and he just used a pistol and summoned Wisps whenever to spam their Lightning ability, having 4 ranged characters he was doing a lot of work and with my main chanter bringing down Wurms as blockers (the basically form a tanky wall on the side of my party making my backline unreachable even if the enemy avoided my tanky frontline) it was pretty solid.
I may just bring back At the Sight of their Comrades on my main as a filler for Lo, Their Endless Host, the Harbingers Doom (right now as filler I'm using Come, Come Soft Winds of Death) now that the bonus from Ila Knocked may not make so many ranged characters as strong as before.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
Huh. About 13 hours in, side quests in Gilded Vale, and I thought that capes were just numbers but didn't actually show. That'd be too bad ass. I love capes. That was all I cared about in Destiny and Helldivers. Ok not really but capes are cool.

And now I realize there are viewable capes! It's just macs or Linux apparently that have a bug with the shroud plugin. Linux doesn't support but macs do. Anyone hear any more updates on this? A dev officially commented on the Linux issue being a dead end but curiously didn't respond to any queries on the OSX end.

Someone please tell me if they are just flat static rectangle sheets or actually somewhat move flexibly? I think the Witcher 2 did that. I can't roleplay without flowing billowy capes! Great game so far though...

Xiraiya

Huh. About 13 hours in, side quests in Gilded Vale, and I thought that capes were just numbers but didn't actually show. That'd be too bad ass. I love capes. That was all I cared about in Destiny and Helldivers. Ok not really but capes are cool.

And now I realize there are viewable capes! It's just macs or Linux apparently that have a bug with the shroud plugin. Linux doesn't support but macs do. Anyone hear any more updates on this? A dev officially commented on the Linux issue being a dead end but curiously didn't respond to any queries on the OSX end.

Someone please tell me if they are just flat static rectangle sheets or actually somewhat move flexibly? I think the Witcher 2 did that. I can't roleplay without flowing billowy capes! Great game so far though...
The capes have pretty awesome physics, don't worry, they're super good looking.

Beloved

Well I've recently revamped my Chanters setup (my main is a summoner tank chanter) so that Kana would use Ila Knocked and At the Sight of their Comrades and he just used a pistol and summoned Wisps whenever to spam their Lightning ability, having 4 ranged characters he was doing a lot of work and with my main chanter bringing down Wurms as blockers (the basically form a tanky wall on the side of my party making my backline unreachable even if the enemy avoided my tanky frontline) it was pretty solid.
I may just bring back At the Sight of their Comrades on my main as a filler for Lo, Their Endless Host, the Harbingers Doom (right now as filler I'm using Come, Come Soft Winds of Death) now that the bonus from Ila Knocked may not make so many ranged characters as strong as before.

That's probably a good idea.

Speaking of nerfs though, Mind Blades for Ciphers is getting nerfed so I'm wondering how that will be, I use that regularly and never really got the impression it was overpowered or anything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel like 4th Ed. is when D&D stopped being a thing. Even now I barely know much about it, aside from the fact that it ruined gnomes.

They murdered the planes and the pantheons and for that I hate 4th edition. People seem to like 5th edition.

JC Sera

The capes have pretty awesome physics, don't worry, they're super good looking.
YOU MEAN I'VE BEEN MISSING OUT ON SPECTACULAR CAPES THIS ENTIRE TIME?
Dark Sun is a dead setting. And Obsidian are teamed up with Pazio so I doubt WotC wants to give them a game.
We can still hope
anyway numenera is pretty out there sorta

Speaking of nerfs though, Mind Blades for Ciphers is getting nerfed so I'm wondering how that will be, I use that regularly and never really got the impression it was overpowered or anything.
I use it often and definitely think its OP, that amount of foe only aoe damage is pretty ridiculous. Its wierd because its slashing vs deflection, but it never feels like the damage is ever negated.

Beloved

YOU MEAN I'VE BEEN MISSING OUT ON SPECTACULAR CAPES THIS ENTIRE TIME?

Yes.

And my perception must be skewed when it comes to Mind Blades, well...come to think of it I was going through Raedric's Hold pretty much all day today while only being level 3 so that might have something to do with it. There are a lot of strong enemies up in there.

Ourobolus

Banned
Huh. After I massacred the
Doemenels
in Defiance Bay, and then I dropped the scroll by the drake's head in the Black Meadow, the entire Library in Copper lane is aggressive towards me. Which one of those things triggered it?

EDIT: Must have been the massacre. They're still aggressive before I drop the scroll by the drake's head. Oh well.

Doemenels
in Defiance Bay, and then I dropped the scroll by the drake's head in the Black Meadow, the entire Library in Copper lane is aggressive towards me. Which one of those things triggered it?
I think this is a bug, triggered by
stealing a book from the archives earlier?
. I could be conflating some things.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Doemenels

Well the library folks actually
liked it when I buried the scroll, so maybe it was the Doemenels

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

It's disgustingly broken lol. Once you get a decent weapon on your cipher you get to spam it basically nonstop. It's like 20-30 damage across 5 enemies constantly, and it trivializes the whole game even on hard imo.

Beloved

It's disgustingly broken lol. Once you get a decent weapon on your cipher you get to spam it basically nonstop. It's like 20-30 damage across 5 enemies constantly, and it trivializes the whole game even on hard imo.

Ah okay, yeah that makes sense, see I just got decent weapons earlier today so I couldn't spam it, so using it once or twice during a fight against tough enemies didn't seem OP.

But it makes sense that it is once you can pretty much constantly use it.

Varna

I knew Mind Blades was too good to be true.

I have a big problem with these kind of games... basically I play a good 10-15 hours and have this ridiculous urge to restart even though I'm having fun with my current game. I can't just start a new character either, I have to delete my save file and starts completely fresh.

Anyhow, goodbye Cipher. Mechanically it's a fun class, but role-playing wise I need my guy to be in the middle of combat swinging his sword all times.

Thinking of rolling a a fighter. Does decent INT go well with them? I figure some extra knockdown time can be pretty valuable.

I'm thinking of doing 16/10/14/12/16/10 and focusing on the soldier weapon set.

Uthred

I feel like 4th Ed. is when D&D stopped being a thing. Even now I barely know much about it, aside from the fact that it ruined gnomes.

Seems like an excellent stance to assume something you self admittedly barely know anything about somehow ruined D&D ;) You should check out 5th edition then its pretty different

Dark Sun is a dead setting. And Obsidian are teamed up with Pazio so I doubt WotC wants to give them a game.

Dead how? It got a campaign setting release under 4th edition and has had Athas specific material released in 5th edition books

Xiraiya

I was going to make a big long post with Diagrams and pie chats and speeches and everything but I just found a better way to show off this issue about the Paladin passive.

A Paladin
Level 1, No gear, attributes I picked.

A Fighter
Level 1, no gear equipped, same attributes as the Paladin yada yada.

Paladin Again
Deep Faith equipped and both reputations at their highest rank.

No wonder Fighters are better tanks, they actually have a passive that works.

I am both so relieved I now know why they have been garbage and yet so annoyed no one seemed to notice this until now.

Finally got to fight a
fucking dragon -- the one clutching a piece of the Godhammer. Love how you know this is a big enough fight to let all your spells loose. Killed it first time on Hard without too many hassles. Only sad thing is that a summoned Shade got the killing blow.

Top Bottom