• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Chaos17

Fighter is the true tank in the game.

There are some +endurance on hit weapons though in the game, if you want to make your Paladin more useful.

But I love paladins in others games TwT
Why Paladins in this game aren't awesome too *sad*

diablo3-2.jpg

Someone make a mod and put Diablo 3 crusader in it, please.
I want to feel the almightest of heaven!!

Guys should I finish
Raedrics Hold quest and Endless Paths
before I go to Defiance Bay?

I have a full party of 6 but almost got killed in the woods past my
Stronghold

Also anything special I should upgrade there first?

A week after release some of the big time streamers are still playing this on twitch and loving it. 2-3k per each stream.

Hopefully that means more copies are being bought.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So anyone else having real issues with getting abilities to select during combat? A lot of my trouble early on I've traced to not noticing that some abilities I was trying to queue up weren't actually selecting when I clicked on them. It wasn't until I noticed how consistently selecting my fighters knockdown ability wouldn't bring up the blue sword targeter and how I had to select it two or three more times

jwhit28

So anyone else having real issues with getting abilities to select during combat? A lot of my trouble early on I've traced to not noticing that some abilities I was trying to queue up weren't actually selecting when I clicked on them. It wasn't until I noticed how consistently selecting my fighters knockdown ability wouldn't bring up the blue sword targeter and how I had to select it two or three more times

This annoys me too. I wish they added some more visual cues to let you know whats going on. I'd also like it if they could show a queue of what actions you have lined for a character when you select them. Like if I want my Ranger to maim a target, mark it for the animal companion, move back, then start auto attacking show that sequence on the screen.

Aaron D.

Yeah, I stopped too. The loading times are just killing me.

Is tomorrow's patch going to address excessive load times in general?

I know there's that specific problem related to laying traps that ties into load times, but I think I've laid a total of two or three in over 20 hours of gameplay and am still experiencing long load times.

Wonder if the patch will cut down those times overall.

petghost

Banned
Yo I stopped playing this a while back to wait for a patch and decided to play torment for the first time. That shit is amazing.Wish I had discovered it as a kid.

Blizzard

Banned
Is tomorrow's patch going to address excessive load times in general?

I know there's that specific problem related to laying traps that ties into load times, but I think I've laid a total of two or three in over 20 hours of gameplay and am still experiencing long load times.

Wonder if the patch will cut down those times overall.
I've seen it suggested that the autosave every load screen makes things slow.

If anything, I wouldn't be too surprised if this patch made saves/loads SLOWER, since they presumably had to add a bunch of logic to detect all the bugged cases (wizard magical quarterstaff, ranger companion missing, stats bugged on companions, cipher not generating focus, etc.) that checks every time.

Jhriad

Seeing all the ''Mind Blades Nooooooooo'' means it really was OP if everyone was using it like that.

Some could argue why balance a SP game, but at the same time, if such abilities render everything trivial, what's the point (I'm looking at you, Slicken!)

Seeing how it bounced to more enemies, over longer distances, and did more damage as a level 2 reusable ability than the per rest level 3 Wizard spell that only bounces to two additional targets... Yeah, it was OP as hell. Whoever designed a lot of the Wizard spells to be either touch spells and/or extremely short range must have hated that class.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright I managed to get around the party change bug and finished all my party sidequests.

Since it looks like I'm about done I checked the strategy guide and it looks like I've done every quest in the game.

Time to finish this.

Taruranto

Man, final boss was though.
I actually switched to easy for it because they wouldn't just go down. :eek:

Endgame status:

1) Souls restored to the children
2) Dozens in charge of Defiance Bay (Meh), Animancy forgiven, Heritage Hill's Tower got used again (wtf) and the district was abandoned
3) Gilded Vale became The Far West
4) Thaos memories erased and CHARNAME's sister soul destroyed

Ahem, now to some conclusions:

- Companions were good, definitely on BG2 level. A shame there are only 8 of them. One of the best things about BG2 was having all these companions with different personalities and classes that may or may not hate each other. Like when you had Edwin and Minsc in your party and suddenly they are killing each other. Here your party is pretty much forced, and three of them are also locked until chapter 2.

- Reputation system and C&C were pretty good. NPC you saved would move to other places and talk about you. It also "solved" a big problem of BG2, i.e. quests feeling to disconnected from everything most of the times.

- Stronghold was kinda superfluous. You can tell it was the last thing they developed. Its buffs were kinda silly, I mean, rest bonus? Even assuming they are good, I would need to rest again once I get to the next location because my characters would be tired. Even lol-DAI had better stronghold management, and that one sucked. But w/ever, I'm not a fan of strongholds in these games.

- Encounter design was good. Not BG2- good (then again, BG2 encounter design is the best in the genre), but definitely on par with the average IE game. Certainly not Dragon Age-bad.

- Content was oddly sparse. I remember Sawyer mentioning he didn't like how you couldn't walk 5 feet in Athkala without getting a quest, and it definitely shows. It's a mix of BG1 and 2. There is a lot of stuff, but it's not concentrated in 3-4 areas.

- Got a crazy ammount of gold in the end but I had nothing to spend it with, the game could have used its own version of Ribald's Adventurer's Mart. (Unless there is one and I didn't find it)

- Interface was the perfect evolution of the IE interface. It will be hard to go back to BG2 interface after this.
No, not really, I fucking love BG2.

- Dungeon design was excellent. Some alternate paths, some stat checks, some puzzles

- NPC flow of consciousness were tl;dr

- Speaking of NPC, I was not a fan of action descriptions. They came out as annoying when they were voiced and superfluous when not most the the times. It worked in Planescape because the NPC were weird and crazy, but here they are mostly the average human/elf/dwarf.

I would rate this 9 Planescape:Torment out of ten Baldur's Gate 2 and 4 Ladies of Pain out of 5.

Now bring forth the Mask of the Betrayer-level-of-crazy expansion.

Blizzard

Banned
- Reputation system and C&C were pretty good. NPC you saved would move to other places and talk about you. It also "solved" a big problem of BG2, i.e. quests feeling to disconnected from everything most of the times.
It took me 5-10 minutes of digging through google and an rpgcodex thread to figure out C&C = Choices and Consequences. :p

aravuus

And I'm finished! Man, amazing game, that's all I really have to say. Took me around 30 hours, skipped a couple of tasks but I tried to do as much as possible. Never finished Od Nua though, just didn't know what to do on floor 13.

Now I'm off to play Baldur's Gates and Mask of the Betrayer. And maybe a third playthrough of PS: Torment. Motherfucking RPGs, hell yeah!

Dresden

Think that's one of the bugs being fixed tomorrow:

Fixed delay issue on Knockdown.

But yeah, I've had that happen to me too. Really annoying.

Sober

But I love paladins in others games TwT
Why Paladins in this game aren't awesome too *sad*

Someone make a mod and put Diablo 3 crusader in it, please.
I want to feel the almightest of heaven!!
D&D template paladins were always boring in combat, sorry if you just realized this now.

I feel like only Blizzard has the market cornered on making Paladin-style classes fun.

And I'm finished! Man, amazing game, that's all I really have to say. Took me around 30 hours, skipped a couple of tasks but I tried to do as much as possible. Never finished Od Nua though, just didn't know what to do on floor 13.

Now I'm off to play Baldur's Gates and Mask of the Betrayer. And maybe a third playthrough of PS: Torment. Motherfucking RPGs, hell yeah!
Hooowww? I have more than this on the clock and I'm not even halfway through Act II yet.

D&D template paladins were always boring in combat, sorry if you just realized this now.

I feel like only Blizzard has the market cornered on making Paladin-style classes fun.
Paladins are just a boring concept all around. I'm glad the ones in Pillars can "worship" gold, Vailia, merciless efficiency, etc.. Paladins are goody two-shoes boring Mary Sue pious knights in just about every other game.

Almighty

Well I hope all you collectors edition owners are happy. Obsidian just got back to me and told me the standard boxes haven't shipped yet because they have to wait for the game disc to be put in them(which I guess makes sense). All because people were too lazy to apply a day one patch on a copy I doubt most would even use to play.

Blizzard

Banned
will not patch

the bug fixes are not worth my slicken

nothing is
Since it's a Steam game, I don't know that you have much of a choice unless you got the DRM-free version.

I guess you could back up the whole game directory, patch, and then copy the directory back.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hooowww? I have more than this on the clock and I'm not even halfway through Act II yet.

Paladins are just a boring concept all around. I'm glad the ones in Pillars can "worship" gold, Vailia, merciless efficiency, etc.. Paladins are goody two-shoes boring Mary Sue pious knights in just about every other game.

Thats just bad writing. Same as claiming lawful good characters are goody two shoes boring Mary Sues.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
- Speaking of NPC, I was not a fan of action descriptions. They came out as annoying when they were voiced and superfluous when not most the the times. It worked in Planescape because the NPC were weird and crazy, but here they are mostly the average human/elf/dwarf.

What do you mean by this?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What is the party swap bug? I somehow have missed it.

Don't know what causes it but some people (myself included) just up and lose the ability to change their party members. You can go through the menu, select who you want but nothing happens.

I managed to fix it through some dark wizardry of zoning in and out of caed nua while sending and recalling people on adventures.

r3n4ud

Since it's a Steam game, I don't know that you have much of a choice unless you got the DRM-free version.

I guess you could back up the whole game directory, patch, and then copy the directory back.
Eh? Just disable auto update.

Edit: my error, looks like there is no disabling auto update. Sorry for that.

Sober

Oh, certainly. I love that POE paladins aren't locked into being stereotypical "goody-two-shoes never take a reward for a good deed" class. It's just that it's still working on the D&D template so in combat they really, really, mechanically dull. In every sense of the word. Only WoW Paladins/D3 Crusaders are remotely interesting to play despite being not as interesting lore-wise.

Taruranto

What do you mean by this?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, English is not my first language. :p

M79BwLc.jpg

The white part is voiced, the rest isn't. So you start reading "She turns her eyes" but the voice acting is already going "She's was always so stubborn". Reaaaally annoying.

To be honest, this particular example is not so bad, but the constant focus on facial expressions with some NPC was annoying.

When allying with one faction in Act 2,
which person do you talk to when siding with the Crucible Knights?
I can't find 'em, or else it's glitched.

Guys should I finish
Raedrics Hold quest and Endless Paths
before I go to Defiance Bay?

no, you can do them later

I have a full party of 6 but almost got killed in the woods past my
Stronghold

Also anything special I should upgrade there first?

you don't really need to upgrade anything if you do not want to. the inn is probably the first choice if you want to explore the endless paths, especially on hard with limited camping supplies

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

M79BwLc.jpg

The white part is voiced, the rest isn't. So you start reading "She turns her eyes" but the voice acting is already going "She's was always so stubborn". Reaaaally annoying.

To be honest, this particular example is not so bad, but the constant focus on facial expressions with some NPC was annoying.

Nah that descriptive shit is the best. Even better than most high budget animations since even the best cant afford to properly animated all the little things. Dragonfall also does this and it is glorious.

M79BwLc.jpg

The solution is to turn off the voice acting. Everyone that isn't Eder is mediocre anyway.

I have that issue with potions. I have to hammer the key on those to get them to drink them sometimes I swear.

Eyeh4wk

lol, these spontaneous banters between the companions are great.

The druid guy said that, once he got jumped by a Stelgaer and was pinned down when Sagani said that
he should`ve pierced its throat with an arrow, and he said that he was spirishifted and the Stelgaer was in heat and he pierced It alright but not with an arrow... 0_o

elithrar

Some of the smaller fixes, tooltip corrections and UI tweaks are nice. Cage cursor is fixed. The losing camping supplies in stash bug is fixed. Expert mode settings should now save properly between characters. Stuff like that.

The bad news is that if you're a GOG customer, you may have to wait until next week because of the way GOG takes dev updates and turns them into patches.

I really regret going GOG now. I love the service, but oof that delay bones me.

One of my saves just black screens trying to load out of the interior of Raedric's Keep. Reload/relaunch game does nothing to help. Was hoping I could play this weekend.

Volodja

The nerf to the Arbalest damage + the nerf to Sure-Handed Ila Knocked will hurt me a bit.
With that and the change to Beloved Spirits I may actually discard Kana Rua.

Top Bottom