• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Violet_0

Banned
so the conclusion of Endless Paths was pretty funny
I made a deal with the dragon and gave the body-stealing amulet to the dragon hunter. The journey says "you made a powerful ally for journeys to come" so hopefully she shows up again in the expansion

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
so the conclusion of Endless Paths was pretty funny
I made a deal with the dragon and gave the body-stealing amulet to the dragon hunter. The journey says "you made a powerful ally for journeys to come" so hopefully she shows up again in the expansion

The dragon hunter is the NPC in black meadow that gives you the scale breaker talent, right? Does he only show up after a certain point or something?

Altazor

Halp pls (Act 1)
I'm getting curbstomped by Raedric and his cronies. My party currently consists of MC/Edér/Aloth/Durance/Kana and no matter what, I'm outnumbered and outmuscled. I'm thinking of hiring an adventurer to fill up the remaining space, but I'd also like to know if I can... go to Defiance Bay without killing Raedric and then come back later and finish the task or something. It might be that my party is underleveled (though I haven't had many problems with most of the enemies I've encountered so far.

Any tactics? Useful spells (apart from slicken :p), everything's appreciated!

Blizzard

Banned
The patch may be changing this ("Fixed issue with the Terrible weapon mod."), but I don't know exactly what that means...act 1 weapon spoiler:
I read that you can enchant the Disappointer with something like "Fine" or another enchantment, and it will remove the Terrible enchantment. This effectively makes it a decent weapon. It may be the only gun you can get until Raedric's Keep.

Volodja

Halp pls (Act 1)
I'm getting curbstomped by Raedric and his cronies. My party currently consists of MC/Edér/Aloth/Durance/Kana and no matter what, I'm outnumbered and outmuscled. I'm thinking of hiring an adventurer to fill up the remaining space, but I'd also like to know if I can... go to Defiance Bay without killing Raedric and then come back later and finish the task or something. It might be that my party is underleveled (though I haven't had many problems with most of the enemies I've encountered so far.

I did short work of basically the entire enemy force by putting my tanks in front, waiting for the enemies to crowd around them and then used like 3 Fan of Flames on them all. Knocked the fuck out of Edér, but my MC was still alive so I just cleaned up the few enemies left.

Is the Quest The Man Who Waits bugged? Act 2 spoilers:

I found the sleeper agent kid down in the Sanitarium, he activities all the enemies. I kill all the golems and then expose the dude who was running the secret experiments, killing him too. I go upstairs and reveal all to the statue, and thats it. Is there anything else I have to do / trigger?

Thanks

bathsalts

Halp pls (Act 1)

Cheese them, pull everyone back in side room with a doorway, talk to and pull Raedic with someone non vital, clog the doorway with eder.

JC Sera

Is the Quest The Man Who Waits bugged? Act 2 spoilers:

I found the sleeper agent kid down in the Sanitarium, he activities all the enemies. I kill all the golems and then expose the dude who was running the secret experiments, killing him too. I go upstairs and reveal all to the statue, and thats it. Is there anything else I have to do / trigger?

Thanks
Go outside, there will be a courier for you

Kimaka

I think I might have activated a quest early. (Early Act II)
Entered Lumdala's house in Copperlane. Opened a locked door and then got a vision from a scarf where some actor suffocated to death. After that ends, Lumdala appears saying something about being their "friend from Dunryd Row" and offers a deal. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I've never met them before and haven't been to Dunryd Row. Should there be a quest before I'm supposed to open that door? The dialogue options make it sound like I should know what is going on.

MartyStu

Any suggestions for setting up a rogue? I think I may have gimped mine:

Might: 14
Constitution: 10
Dexterity: 15
Perception: 14
Intelligence: 13
Resolve: 12

Violet_0

Banned
The dragon hunter is the NPC in black meadow that gives you the scale breaker talent, right? Does he only show up after a certain point or something?

yup, guess she appears just for the quest. The dragon is controlling her body now, I also told her about the plan before I reloaded but that felt a bit unsatisfying

can anyone tell me how long it takes to complete the game after the point of no return?
will probably wait for the patch first, pretty sure I was hit with the stat bug

Artanisix

Anyone working on PotD?

I'm struggling pretty hard right now, nearing the end of A1. And my comp is only going to get worse tomorrow with the arb nerfs.

Fighter
Wizard
Priest
Barbarian
Chanter
Rogue

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone working on PotD?

I'm struggling pretty hard right now, nearing the end of A1. And my comp is only going to get worse tomorrow with the arb nerfs.

Fighter
Wizard
Priest
Barbarian
Chanter
Rogue
I am, but I'm also doing solo. I'm struggling to even get through the tutorial area once I started trying rogue. :p

bathsalts

Might is too low, rogues are designed for single target damage, finishing low health enemies and hit n run. Perception, resolve and constitution are all somewhat pointless outside juicy resolve check roleplay, dont be afraid to go below 10 on stats.

Damn, I managed to pick up one of those permanent stat debuffs. My ranger now has 8 raw damage and -20 concentration. I removed it from the other characters by dismissing and rehiring them, but it's stuck on my main.

Where I got it, a bounty:

From Captain Muarumi, in the 3rd group of bounties, in Anslog's Compass

The bell puzzle in the Ethosan temple has me stumped. None of the bells seem to have that
warped tone
I'm supposed to be looking out for, and
the acolyte's note
isn't much help.

Is there something else for me to find? I've cleared the whole floor and looted everything but I'm stumped.

bathsalts

Anyone working on PotD?

Fighter
Wizard
Priest
Barbarian
Chanter
Rogue

Im getting a lot of use out of 2 chanter setup and scouting ahead to pull and having the chants start while kiting enemies back to the party, the summoned phantoms are bulldozers and really bump up the party sustainability usually turning attrition in my favor over longer stretches.

Violet_0

Banned
Damn, I managed to pick up one of those permanent stat debuffs. My ranger now has 8 raw damage and -20 concentration. I removed it from the other characters by dismissing and rehiring them, but it's stuck on my main.

Where I got it, a bounty:

From Captain Muarumi, in the 3rd group of bounties, in Anslog's Compass

save and reloading always worked for me, but you can also make your companions attack and down your character

Annubis

I went with this for mine.

Might: 18
Dexterity: 20
Perception: 10
Intellect: 3
Resolve: 17

kai3345

Banned
Halp pls (Act 1)

Agree to help him kill his cousin, which will make him not attack you. Then use this opportunity to set up your dudes in the top left corner and then hit him with a ranged attack to aggro him. Make a wall of all your tanks while your ranged dudes sit at the back like so: http://i.imgur.com/As0bthO.png

Altazor

I did short work of basically the entire enemy force by putting my tanks in front, waiting for the enemies to crowd around them and then used like 3 Fan of Flames on them all. Knocked the fuck out of Edér, but my MC was still alive so I just cleaned up the few enemies left.

Cheese them, pull everyone back in side room with a doorway, talk to and pull Raedic with someone non vital, clog the doorway with eder.

Agree to help him kill his cousin, which will make him not attack you. Then use this opportunity to set up your dudes in the top left corner and then hit him with a ranged attack to aggro him. Make a wall of all your tanks while your ranged dudes sit at the back like so: http://i.imgur.com/As0bthO.png

BLACK BARS AHOY!

Thanks for the advice, guys! :D

save and reloading always worked for me, but you can also make your companions attack and down your character

Looks like I'm stuck with it for the moment. I'd already tried saving/reloading, restarting the game, nothing. Dying in various comedic ways did nothing either. :( I'm not taking 8 raw damage, so I suspect the concentration debuff may only be cosmetic on the character sheet.

Does anyone know of a way to view concentration? I can't seem to find the raw number on the sheet.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WELP. After numerous, numerous attempts I defeated (Endless Paths 15th floor)
The Adra Dragon
on Hard-Expert, only for the game to be bugged and stuck in combat mode afterwards, so I can't save or leave the area or do anything. Pallegrina is stuck in place, with no negative status effects, but can't move or take any actions. I try force-attacking her and I knock her out successfully, then I revive her with my last revive spell, and now she can move, but she jitters back and forth violently and combat still doesn't end.

:(

Looks like I'm stuck with it for the moment. I'd already tried saving/reloading, restarting the game, nothing. Dying in various comedic ways did nothing either. :( I'm not taking 8 raw damage, so I suspect the concentration debuff may only be cosmetic on the character sheet.

Does anyone know of a way to view concentration? I can't seem to find the raw number on the sheet.

Check the rolls in combat. Mousing over the combat log will tell you the exact rolls for said result.
Bummer. The only thing I would think to try is knocking them out, but if that's already failed.. yeow. The only other possibility I can think of is inflicting some status effect on her that could possibly knock her out of it, like confuse or something.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The bell puzzle in the Ethosan temple has me stumped. None of the bells seem to have that
warped tone
I'm supposed to be looking out for, and
the acolyte's note
isn't much help.

Is there something else for me to find? I've cleared the whole floor and looted everything but I'm stumped.

One clue is the one you found..
the note says that the largest bell is second. The second hint is from that vision that happens during the level. Unless you are playing on Expert (or have detailed quest option off) It should be in your quest log. Those two hints give two bell positions. You can also figure it out from the Book of Verses if you match the bells to the Voices listed within. There is also a key hidden in the level.. you need to be in Scouting mode ("stealth" mode) to spot hidden places. Mechanics plays into spotting hidden things.

Blizzard

Banned
The Adra Dragon
on Hard-Expert, only for the game to be bugged and stuck in combat mode afterwards, so I can't save or leave the area or do anything. Pallegrina is stuck in place, with no negative status effects, but can't move or take any actions. I try force-attacking her and I knock her out successfully, then I revive her with my last revive spell, and now she can move, but she jitters back and forth violently and combat still doesn't end.

That sucks, but the patch in a day or two MIGHT fix it (https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/):

Fixed many issues where combat would not end properly.

KingKong

The Adra Dragon

If you dont care about achievements, you can try resting, pretty sure it works anywhere if you use the console, or loading into another map

Violet_0

Banned
I should load up some old save files after finishing the game, I feel like I've missed out on some fun fights by being too diplomatic

ProphessorX

Neo Member
The capes have pretty awesome physics, don't worry, they're super good looking.

I didn't see anything mentioning capes in the patch notes though... How difficult would it be to diagnose why the shroud plugin is bugged on OSX?

And side note, but monk is a great pick for the first run. I know armed is viable but unarmed is getting buffed in patch and it feels more natural. Pinball force of anguish is nice. Does anyone know if turning wheel and scion of the flame stack fire damage? And does the passive give a permanent disadvantage to fire resistant enemies?

Check the rolls in combat. Mousing over the combat log will tell you the exact rolls for said result.

Ok, if I'm reading it right, my ranger watcher is not receiving the -20 concentration debuff. His concentration is 75 at 10 resolve, which is only slightly less that Aloth's who has 13 resolve. That's a relief, it's just something stuck in the active effects list.

I posted a steam screenshot if anyone wants to see what it looks like. Might be a bit spoilery since I'm L11.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418580759

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ah man, I'm nearing the end and I'm running out of sidequests to do. I don't want the ride to end.

Anjelus_

I think I might have activated a quest early. (Early Act II)
Entered Lumdala's house in Copperlane. Opened a locked door and then got a vision from a scarf where some actor suffocated to death. After that ends, Lumdala appears saying something about being their "friend from Dunryd Row" and offers a deal. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I've never met them before and haven't been to Dunryd Row. Should there be a quest before I'm supposed to open that door? The dialogue options make it sound like I should know what is going on.

Nobody answered you, but you definitely activated that quest early. You should probably report this, exactly as written here, to the Obsidian devs directly, there should be something more than a a lock to prevent you from accessing that.

hemtae

Nobody answered you, but you definitely activated that quest early. You should probably report this, exactly as written here, to the Obsidian devs directly, there should be something more than a a lock to prevent you from accessing that.

The locked door is one you need a key to unlock. I forget how you get that key but I'm fairly sure I got the key before that quest as well but never unlocked the door until then.

Blizzard

Banned
One tutorial level thing I hadn't done before:

If you have 3 mechanics at the start of the game, you can get a decent amount of experience, maybe 150 XP, by disarming all the fire traps. They sadly don't go into your inventory to sell, but the experience should help.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I've been eyeballing this game since it was Project Eternity. I'm so glad it's a success and I'm so glad for Obsidian. I ALWAYS wanted a Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale with modern graphics and UI. The awful UI being my biggest hangup about the old games. But now there's Pillars of Eternity and its reviews are raving. I am definitely buying this. Oh how I longed to agonize over my perfect character and 6 person party again.

Sober

oh no why would they nerf my gun squad
Obsidian, pls

my pistolmancer, blunderbussmancer, arbalestmancer and arquebusmancer won't like this
Guns are way too good right now is why. Hopefully the other ranged weapons are getting buffs because as soon as you switch all your backliners to having guns, combat goes by so much faster vs using implements or even using bows (crossbow class weapons are still great). Sure Ila helped a lot too, but most of the phrases suck anyway and chanter isn't that engaging.

The only backliner not using a gun for me atm is Sagani cause she has a bow that does Jolting Touch on hit, which is amazing. Otherwise I would probably give her a gun.

Blizzard

Banned
Guns are way too good right now is why. Hopefully the other ranged weapons are getting buffs because as soon as you switch all your backliners to having guns, combat goes by so much faster vs using implements or even using bows (crossbow class weapons are still great). Sure Ila helped a lot too, but most of the phrases suck anyway and chanter isn't that engaging.

The only backliner not using a gun for me atm is Sagani cause she has a bow that does Jolting Touch on hit, which is amazing. Otherwise I would probably give her a gun.
Guns are generally better in real life too, but I get the point. :p

Also a note on the endless questions I kept asking about doing that Act 1 location 100% pacifist, I finally have reached a conclusion:
If you have 4+ stealth and 7+ mechanics, you can sneak past the roof guard by hitting the door entrance icon at the last second, waltz straight into Raedric's throne room, and talk to him to turn the keep neutral. After that it's open season for stealing any unguarded items.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Also a note on the endless questions I kept asking about doing that Act 1 location 100% pacifist, I finally have reached a conclusion:
If you have 4+ stealth and 7+ mechanics, you can sneak past the roof guard by hitting the door entrance icon at the last second, waltz straight into Raedric's throne room, and talk to him to turn the keep neutral. After that it's open season for stealing any unguarded items.

Good job! How has a pacifist run been going so far?

JC Sera

Are you going for the achievement?

Top Bottom