• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Nordicus

I was going to make a big long post with Diagrams and pie chats and speeches and everything but I just found a better way to show off this issue about the Paladin passive.

A Paladin
Level 1, No gear, attributes I picked.

A Fighter
Level 1, no gear equipped, same attributes as the Paladin yada yada.

Paladin Again
Deep Faith equipped and both reputations at their highest rank.

No wonder Fighters are better tanks, they actually have a passive that works.

I am both so relieved I now know why they have been garbage and yet so annoyed no one seemed to notice this until now.
Reading from Obsidian technical support forums, have you tried looking at the stats while in combat? Someone says the bonuses trigger only then

Zeliard

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, English is not my first language. :p

M79BwLc.jpg

The white part is voiced, the rest isn't. So you start reading "She turns her eyes" but the voice acting is already going "She's was always so stubborn". Reaaaally annoying.

To be honest, this particular example is not so bad, but the constant focus on facial expressions with some NPC was annoying.

The descriptive text is intended to add to the characterization. Dialogue can only go so far in communicating things, particularly actions and body language.

Ketch

Can you check Xiraiya?

I'm playing monk on this play through but will probably go with paladin next for try at hard difficulty.

Xiraiya

Can you check Xiraiya?
I'm playing monk on this play through but will probably go with paladin next for try at hard difficulty.

Yeah I just jumped in to see, it does seem to only apply the bonus when combat starts, that's my mistake for not noticing that sooner.

Varna

The descriptive text is intended to add to the characterization. Dialogue can only go so far in communicating things, particularly actions and body language.

I think the descriptive text is great. But it just doesn't work when there is VA. Unless you are going to sit there and re-read everything the character has just said. They would have been better off tailoring certain conversations to pure VA. I honestly almost feel like turning off the voices sometimes because of this (but most of the VA has been pretty great, so I just end up ignoring the descriptive text).

Xiraiya

Well, not blind, nowhere in the description does it say that it only triggers in combat.
I did a quick test. It took a second to take effect, but it does work. Made a character with identical background and attributes to yours
Well I guess if the Paladin is working as intended, Obsidian's philosophy on Paladins just isn't the same as mine, that's fine

I'll try out a Fighter or maybe even a Cipher.

Nordicus

Well I guess if the Paladin is working as intended, Obsidian's philosophy on Paladins just isn't the same as mine, that's fine
Yeah, the PoE paladins are more or less D&D paladins in mechanics. Even ground in 1v1 versus barbarians and fighters, maybe weaker, but Paladins tell enemy mages and the undead to go fuck themselves

JC Sera

Finally got to fight a
fucking dragon -- the one clutching a piece of the Godhammer. Love how you know this is a big enough fight to let all your spells loose. Killed it first time on Hard without too many hassles. Only sad thing is that a summoned Shade got the killing blow.
that wasn't a dragon tho :^)

Noaloha

On the topic of the voice-acting being a little intrusive when a new 'page' starts with non-dialog descriptive text, I completely agree. Not a complete ballache, but definitely something that bugs me and draws me waaaay out of the storytelling whenever it happens (which is quite often).

I know it would be a lot of work, but I'd love for Obsidian to go through the VO and the script and separate out units of continuous per-page dialog, with breaks where the non-dialog text is present. With the VO split up like that, have a button on the side of the conversation window that I can press to activate the dialog sections in sequence. So a new 'page' can come up, I read some non-dialog flavour prose describing the character's demeanour. When, in reading, I reach the part where the character begins to talk, I hit the button, VO for that initial section begins. VO ends at the end of the character's paragraph, allowing me to read a descriptive section about their expression shifting. Character starts talking again in the text, I hit the button again, plays the next part of the VO, etc.

So, I have made it to the bottom of the Endless Paths, to face a mighty challenge...

An adra dragon!

Unfortunately for my desire for a good battle and the world above, she offered to pay me to free her from the place. Naturally as a Goldpact I just had to take the deal! Poor dragonhunter lady.. Now I wonder if she'll show up in the expansion pack..?

Beloved

Man I need a tank bad. It's just me (hunter) and some wizard, and the wizard hits hard, but we've got no one to soak up the hits.

Woof, yeah you do need a tank. Aloth is useful but squishy. Though I found that giving him a ranged weapon helps a lot with that, since it takes him out of the thick of things but is still close enough to cast his spells effectively (usually...but they are fixing the wizard's spells ranges in the patch).

And yes listen to Nordicus. Haha

What about Lay on hands HoT actually decreasing the greater is your INT ? Is it a tooltip error or oversight?
I assume it's like DoT in reverse, which means it's poorly explained in the UI. Basically your INT makes the effect lasts longer, which means it does more healing overall (because there are more 'ticks' of healing racking up). That's communicated badly, though.

Violet_0

Banned
oh no why would they nerf my gun squad
Obsidian, pls

my pistolmancer, blunderbussmancer, arbalestmancer and arquebusmancer won't like this

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That's quite a patch. Only thing of note that it's missing is the Rime and Frost trap bug that balloons save files.

Ah man that sucks. Through it does mean that Kana is no longer an essential companion. Which means I can take one of the others with me now. So that might be nice.

Eh, the only reason I don't use kana is because my char is a chanter. I'd probably end up using him on any other playthough, cuz chanters is legit.

The pathfinding is so bad, you really really notice it in Od Nua

For travel I find it OK. But battles? Better hope they can all get to the target, because if not... eesh. Would be nice if there was more of an indication that they're blocked than simply cancelling my current orders.

garath

Damn. Mind blades and slicken nerfs. Slickening a whole mess of shades was the only way I survived defending my keep the first time. Back to back over and over. I kept 6 of them on lockdown lol.

Tuning up fast melee weapons? My stiletto rogue will enjoy that.

Good patch though. I don't mind the blatently broken stuff to be tuned down. It does annoy me that some of my level up choices would have been rethought though.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Mind blades hit allies too, right? I never messed with them for that reason. Sounds like I missed out.

biocat

How is ranger in the game?

I only just started my character with a bear companion and it seems pretty fun atm, but maybe boring/simplistic end-game?

Blizzard

Banned
Those of you sad about the chill fog and mind blades nerfs need to embrace the positive change of being able to summon a magical quarterstaff without glitching your game or muting your wizard. At least that's something. :p

On another note, I really wish monsters were blocked by doors. That could make for some interesting mechanics in certain dungeons.

I both like and dislike that money's kinda tight. I'm gathering a nice cache of ingredients but since crafting and enchanting have that baffling money requirement, I can't do much.

JerkShep

What's the consensus on Pillars: wait for patches or it's safe to jump in right now? I backed it and I'm very curious, since I'm done with the first playthrough of Bloodborne I could actually start PoE tomorrow

hemtae

Late (?) Act 2
Man everybody hates the Dozens it seems. I got stopped from getting an invite from the Doemenels and Crucible Knights because I'm supposedly on their team. It's probably going to be kinda awkward if/when I speak for animancy.

Varna

What's the consensus on Pillars: wait for patches or it's safe to jump in right now? I backed it and I'm very curious, since I'm done with the first playthrough of Bloodborne I could actually start PoE tomorrow

Just drag and drop to equip items... don't double click. You can probably get started on your game and avoid most issues until the patch is released.

Xiraiya

It's safe to begin yes, the major bugs are not too hard to avoid if you know what to look for.

The big issues are double clicking to equip items screwing with passive abilities and companion stat boosts becoming permanent and duplicating if you load a save from the map you acquired the companion.
Both apparently will retroactively correct themselves once you get the patch.

Amusingly I by default dragged items so I never even knew double clicking was an issue for awhile.

I can't wait for the patch tomorrow, I'm thrilled to get back into the game. However, I'm worried my arbalest wielding rogue who relies heavily on Ila Knocked is going to be useless now.

JerkShep

Just drag and drop to equip items... don't double click. You can probably get started on your game and avoid most issues until the patch is released.

It's safe to begin yes, the major bugs are not too hard to avoid if you know what to look for.

The big issues are double clicking to equip items screwing with passive abilities and companion stat boosts becoming permanent and duplicating if you load a save from the map you acquired the companion.
Both apparently will retroactively correct themselves once you get the patch.

Amusingly I by default dragged items so I never even knew double clicking was an issue for awhile.

Thanks for the heads up, I might start experimenting with the character creation at least, so many options. Really happy the game seems so well received.

ACE 1991

None of my characters have enough
might to move the statue in Blood Legacy,
does that mean I can't progress further?

Top Bottom