• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Blizzard

Banned
Good job! How has a pacifist run been going so far?
I'm too early to tell. I've set up save files with 3 different level 3 classes thus far, working on all classes, all expert solo path of the damned. This gives me a good bit to test with.

After the part I just mentioned,
talking to Raedric, I've killed 27 monsters out of the 175 allowed for the achievement. Some of those might have been optional like rescuing the cook, and getting extra experience/items in the tutorial area, but it's hard to know for sure until I see how leveling goes. My current goal is finding a way to reach level 4. Even someone who was pretty successful on a solo run said that level 3-4 may be the hardest / most boring

*edit* I just realized that I only have stealth 4, so
I may have ruined my current rogue attempt with the 7 mechanics door...the only way I know to do Caed Nua seems to require stealth 5 and a lot of luck with the end fight

Are you going for the achievement?
I figure the pacifist achievement and solo run achievement go pretty well together, so hopefully I can grab them at the same time.

anyone else experience crashing in raedric's keep?
Not me but this is a known issue. The patch in a day or two should fix it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Finally finished Wasteland 2. Not sure if I should start this or Republique.

AnyETA on the next patch?

Almighty

Destroyed my keep and west defences costing me a few thousand. Wtf is the point?

Yeah that happened to me when I tried to have the game handle it instead of doing it myself. Honestly the stronghold is my biggest disappointment of the game so far. Which sucks because I like the idea of having your own stronghold in a game.

Remmy2112

Destroyed my keep and west defences costing me a few thousand. Wtf is the point?

Odd. I am in act 3 and almost level 12 and I have not seen -one.-

Yeah that happened to me when I tried to have the game handle it instead of doing it myself. Honestly the stronghold is my biggest disappointment of the game so far. Which sucks because I like the idea of having your own stronghold in a game.

Did you have full hirelings? And if you did did you make sure that you were dismissing them and rehiring them when it says "hireling unpaid?" That bug could make them not defend, but that is a shot in the dark guess.

Almighty

Did you have full hirelings? And if you did did you make sure that you were dismissing them and rehiring them when it says "hireling unpaid?" That bug could make them not defend, but that is a shot in the dark guess.

I assume the game said they were unpaid like it always does. I don't really remember as it happened pretty early for me and I just reloaded and handled it manually.

vocab

Beat act one. I'm enjoying my self, but performance is all over the place. Even with vsync off there's still issues. My computer is not shit so I don't know whats going on.

Am I alone?

Guns are way too good right now is why. Hopefully the other ranged weapons are getting buffs because as soon as you switch all your backliners to having guns, combat goes by so much faster vs using implements or even using bows (crossbow class weapons are still great). Sure Ila helped a lot too, but most of the phrases suck anyway and chanter isn't that engaging.

The only backliner not using a gun for me atm is Sagani cause she has a bow that does Jolting Touch on hit, which is amazing. Otherwise I would probably give her a gun.
I've switched most of my party members' secondary weapons to guns, sometimes I don't even need to micro-manage anymore.
Finally finished Wasteland 2. Not sure if I should start this or Republique.

AnyETA on the next patch?
Republique is Watch Dogs camera mechanic made into a game. AI is very predictable, puzzles unchallenging, has collectibles that break immersion, it's an underwhelming stealth game overall.

Morzak

Patch notes look nice. Slicken needed a nerv it was just way to powerful especially for a level 1 spell. Mindblades were to good considering they aren't per rest and only hit enemies in addition to being a cheap level 2 spell. with Illa nerved something other then Firing squads should be interesting again.

The nerv to the Arbalest is a bit puzzling though, it's not like it was stronger then the guns in the game.

And damn the lighthouse wasn't to easy even with a level 8 party (no Slicken abuse, I have to work out different strats now). Aloth could mostly do one spell and then he was a goner...... They really hated him.

Also encountered my first
Dragon, man that fight was harsh, I don't know if I would have beaten it without slicken.....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only thing worth buying in the stronghold is the garden for the free mats and the lodge for the bounty quests. You'll spend 10x what you make in taxes upgrading the rest and then you have to waste a bunch of time defending it.

The stronghold is definitely the weakest part of the game.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure if this is a combat bug or not. Anslog's Compass question:

I'm using a gun to help the two people at the entrance against the xuarips, but I guess my attacks are so slow, it keeps completely kicking me out of combat. This is especially bad since I'm trying to use a figurine summon...but I can't use that out of combat. If I enter combat and try to use it, the figurine icon doesn't get a green highlight, and after a short delay I'm removed from combat with no summon. Once both the people die, the summon works, but that's not what I want.

Two questions near the end of Act 1:
Also, I'm assuming there isn't any way to do Ranga's quest peacefully?

One more question, I assume I must complete Caed Nua before I can get to Defiance Bay?

infi

The one
in Searing Falls (the cave). He alone wouldn't have been so hard but keeping the 2 drake ads plus the xurips in check while killing the Priests first was problematic.

That's just a powerful drake not a dragon. Of the two dragons I've encountered so far one has been a cake walk whilst the other utterly crushed me.

danthefan

When you travel on the world map it tells you it's going to take X hours to get wherever you're going... does this have any effect on anything?

Blizzard

Banned
When you travel on the world map it tells you it's going to take X hours to get wherever you're going... does this have any effect on anything?
If you have something later in the game (
the stronghold, it might affect ingredient gathering, or taxes, or something...I'm not there yet
), and also I assume long travels make you more fatigued so you may need to rest. You'll know since the little fatigue status symbol will show up.

Blizzard

Banned
Please let me know if I'm being too spammy with these experiment posts. This is my last post of the night about my solo rogue shenanigans. I may be completely stuck with my current game because of the requirements I'm trying to meet at the same time in Act 1:

I got higher XP than I've ever managed before (5311/6000), but that's still not enough for level 4. As far as I know I can't do bears, can't do Ranga's cave, can't kill Raedric/Kolsc, and don't have a peaceful way to handle any of those. It's possible with great danger to figurine cheese the bridge by Defiance Bay, but that seems useless since the best you can do is get near 5500/6000 XP by lying to the lady about the ferry looters.

All that said, I'm left with three problems for stealth pacifist:
1. I need 7 mechanics for the door to Raedric (otherwise I have to rescue the prisoner in the dungeon which I think involes danger and fights). The inn bonus makes this possible: 4 stealth, 7 mechanics.
2. I need 5 stealth, otherwise Caed Nua is impossible because I can't make it past one enemy before a group jumps me.
3. I need Caed Nua, because otherwise I cannot unlock any other map locations.

Unless I find a way to get to level 4, the only other path I can see is cheesing dungeon fights to kill some monsters and rescue the prisoner, allowing me to build a level 3 character with stealth 5. Or MAYBE there are certain conversations which can be affected with high intelligence/perception/lore/whatever, and I just haven't encountered them since I don't build that way right now.

centurion300

Neo Member
”The expansion is next along with continuing to support and update the core Pillars of Eternity game. We have some cool ideas for new features along with talking with all our backers and the community about what they like and don't like about the game. After that? We'll see, but I bet you can guess what we are thinking… As for news on the expansion, I bet we'll be releasing first bit of info within the next month. The main focus right now is hearing from everyone, and making sure that everyone is having the best experience they can with Pillars.”

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=81

besada

Banned
Anyone else playing a Ranger and using their companion animal as a tank to keep mobs out front? I find my wolf is excellent for this. He moves out quickly, does some damage, but best of all, is -- as far as I can tell -- unkillable. He gets knocked out every so often (but not often because of his DR) but always hops back up at the end of the battle.

So most of my fights involve sending him out to draw fire while the rest of my crew do ranged attacks from afar. If he starts to fall, THEN I can send out my tank.

danthefan

If you have something later in the game (
the stronghold, it might affect ingredient gathering, or taxes, or something...I'm not there yet
), and also I assume long travels make you more fatigued so you may need to rest. You'll know since the little fatigue status symbol will show up.

Thanks, so no big deal I guess. The camping supplies seem rare enough so I've been trying to rest as little as possible so far, like only when I really need to.

Go outside, there will be a courier for you

No courier outside I don't think. However I went and talked to
......Lady Webb......
about the quest events and it is showing up completed on my quest log, so I guess I am good? I never got the typical quest complete scroll notification or anything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Republique is Watch Dogs camera mechanic made into a game. AI is very predictable, puzzles unchallenging, has collectibles that break immersion, it's an underwhelming stealth game overall.

yes, I started it but it didn't grab me. Downloading Eternity now.

Labadal

Yesterday I posted that Pillars of Eternity had approximately 200k owners on Steam. Less than 24 hours later, and there are now 230k owners. That's nice.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks, so no big deal I guess. The camping supplies seem rare enough so I've been trying to rest as little as possible so far, like only when I really need to.
It's definitely a balance mechanic and is a little funny when you think about it. Here you have some ranger, who's been a hunter their whole life, got some sweet survival stats...but you'd better hope some random shop owner can sell you a new tent each day. Otherwise there's no way you could spend a night on the ground. :p

Also about that other thing I mentioned later in the game:
I heard one nice thing about the stronghold is that you can upgrade a certain section to let you buy camping supplies.

infi

Anyone else playing a Ranger and using their companion animal as a tank to keep mobs out front? I find my wolf is excellent for this. He moves out quickly, does some damage, but best of all, is -- as far as I can tell -- unkillable. He gets knocked out every so often (but not often because of his DR) but always hops back up at the end of the battle.

So most of my fights involve sending him out to draw fire while the rest of my crew do ranged attacks from afar. If he starts to fall, THEN I can send out my tank.

The problem with using the pet to tank is you get a debuff on the Ranger when the pet gets knocked out. There's a bug where the debuff endures after combat as well, I'm not sure if that's fixed with the patch that's coming though.

2. I need 5 stealth, otherwise Caed Nua is impossible because I can't make it past one enemy before a group jumps me.

I've tried to find an item in game that raises stealth but the earliest I can find are Boots of Stealth which are located in Caed Nua unfortunately. Unless there are some random loot before then I think you're only option is to somehow level up.

I have a wolf as well, but you get a nasty debuff called bonded grief when your animal companion goes down, lose a lot of accuracy and other penalties. I use my wolf pet to pull then have him hide behind Eder while Eder picks up as many as possible. Then the wolf goes back in. I then have him stack near Eder with his guardian stance while Durance drops heal bombs.

Truant

Am I still in act one? Just got to Defiance Bay and I'm doing a few sidequests here before finishing up some out of town stuff. I want to save the main quest stuff for last.

infi

So I decided to make a new character and some of the races have really poor portrait options. To make it worse the race options with few choices available are races made just for the game so it's harder to find good custom portraits online.
Oh well I'll just make another human.

Grief.exe

So I decided to make a new character and some of the races have really poor portrait options. To make it worse the race options with few choices available are races made just for the game so it's harder to find good custom portraits online.

There is an imgur dump with a ton of custom portraits made specifically for PoE. I can't find them however.

Jonnax

I got hit with a loading issue on my save in Caed Nua, where the game sits on a loading screen forever. output_log doesn't indicate any issues, it just stops whilst loading compared to a working save.

The annoying thing is that I have 3 saves in the same location and the only save previous is 8 hours of playtime ago.

I posted a thread on their official forums but I need moderator approval for the topic. I've got a lot a free time this easter weekend where I had planned to play the game so I'm wondering if there's a verbose mode for the log or another way to try debugging the issue. Tried a different PC to no avail.

Sorry if this is offtopic.

Bluth54

Didn't you read the OP? You should be using the EviLore portrait no matter what race and gender you choose.

Leezard

Please let me know if I'm being too spammy with these experiment posts. This is my last post of the night about my solo rogue shenanigans. I may be completely stuck with my current game because of the requirements I'm trying to meet at the same time in Act 1:

I got higher XP than I've ever managed before (5311/6000), but that's still not enough for level 4. As far as I know I can't do bears, can't do Ranga's cave, can't kill Raedric/Kolsc, and don't have a peaceful way to handle any of those. It's possible with great danger to figurine cheese the bridge by Defiance Bay, but that seems useless since the best you can do is get near 5500/6000 XP by lying to the lady about the ferry looters.

All that said, I'm left with three problems for stealth pacifist:
1. I need 7 mechanics for the door to Raedric (otherwise I have to rescue the prisoner in the dungeon which I think involes danger and fights). The inn bonus makes this possible: 4 stealth, 7 mechanics.
3. I need Caed Nua, because otherwise I cannot unlock any other map locations.

Unless I find a way to get to level 4, the only other path I can see is cheesing dungeon fights to kill some monsters and rescue the prisoner, allowing me to build a level 3 character with stealth 5. Or MAYBE there are certain conversations which can be affected with high intelligence/perception/lore/whatever, and I just haven't encountered them since I don't build that way right now.
You could just disregard
Raedric
until you have 7 mechanics. Caed Nua is the only required place.

Huh. After I massacred the
Doemenels
in Defiance Bay, and then I dropped the scroll by the drake's head in the Black Meadow, the entire Library in Copper lane is aggressive towards me. Which one of those things triggered it?

EDIT: Must have been the massacre. They're still aggressive before I drop the scroll by the drake's head. Oh well.

This is what happened to me:

I got the scroll, the god told me to hide it, but I wanted to see what would happen if I took it back to them anyway, defying the god. I took it to the library and everyone inside was hostile. Now, I HAD looted the whole place earlier...I think one of the rooms there should've been tagged as stealing and wasn't, and I'm pretty sure the guard saw me go in and take everything. Could've been a late triggering of that hostility, somehow.

But then...I reloaded and put the scroll in the dragon's skull, and went back to them again, and they weren't hostile, and let me complete the quest just fine.

So something is just weird with the library and everyone wanting to kill you at random.

Dommel

My bear dies a lot, finding it kinda useless so far.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
This is what happened to me:

I got the scroll, the god told me to hide it, but I wanted to see what would happen if I took it back to them anyway, defying the god. I took it to the library and everyone inside was hostile. Now, I HAD looted the whole place earlier...I think one of the rooms there should've been tagged as stealing and wasn't, and I'm pretty sure the guard saw me go in and take everything. Could've been a late triggering of that hostility, somehow.

But then...I reloaded and put the scroll in the dragon's skull, and went back to them again, and they weren't hostile, and let me complete the quest just fine.

So something is just weird with the library and everyone wanting to kill you at random.

That's because you
looted from that locked room, the nearest NPC gets hostile if you enter the room
in her detection range.

duckroll

I'm mostly staying away from the thread while I play to avoid seeing spoilers or getting terrified by more bug reports before the big patch hits, but I just have to vent about a little thing which happened yesterday.

It involves a quest with the Crucible Knights in Defiance Bay and a wanted poster:
So the first guy I talked to already exhibited signs that he was a racist bastard. I called him out on it and he just shrugged it off as the ugly truth no one wants to admit. After finding the wanted poster for the guy in the catacomb sewers, I somehow didn't put the two elements together that he was an orlan, and I decided to do my duty as a good citizen to report his whereabouts. Only after that did I realize I had basically abetted a racist agenda which cost someone their life. I called him out on it again and he laughed it off. Due to the sort of character I'm playing, I didn't react violently and kill him on the spot. But I'm hoping that somewhere along the line, the game gives me an excuse to end this fucker. :/

Nordicus

It might be a bug, but I think animal companions have infinite Health. Itumaak has gone down so very often in my party but I've never seen the wolf's health go below max after a fight

That's because you
looted from that locked room, the nearest NPC gets hostile if you enter the room
in her detection range.

No, nobody went hostile to me at all the first time I was there.

Specifically,
I visited the place once, got quests, stole everything. Everyone green and non-hostile.

Return at the point I said I did, everyone hostile and trying to kill me. Not just that nearest NPC to the room.

Reload, hide scroll for quest, return to the library everyone green and non-hostile.

So if looting the room made them hostile, then why weren't they hostile when I went back the second time?

Ugh just noticed that some of my characters have bugged damage reduction. Don't know how long it's been going on for, but it puts an unpleasant twist on my accomplishments. Been playing for 60+ hours, but I'm tempted to start over.

Top Bottom