• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Staab

Hnnnggg, I'm trying to hold back from playing any more until the patch hits, but it's haaard !
I was just about diving into the real meat of Defiance Bay too, come on Obsidian !

This is what happened to me:

I got the scroll, the god told me to hide it, but I wanted to see what would happen if I took it back to them anyway, defying the god. I took it to the library and everyone inside was hostile. Now, I HAD looted the whole place earlier...I think one of the rooms there should've been tagged as stealing and wasn't, and I'm pretty sure the guard saw me go in and take everything. Could've been a late triggering of that hostility, somehow.

But then...I reloaded and put the scroll in the dragon's skull, and went back to them again, and they weren't hostile, and let me complete the quest just fine.

So something is just weird with the library and everyone wanting to kill you at random.

This happened to me BEFORE finding the scroll. I believe it triggered because I stole
The Theories of Pandragan (or whatever it's called) before I even had the quest for it. Everyone was green when I left the first time but, after acquiring the Theories quest, everyone is hostile as soon as I enter.

Ugh just noticed that some of my characters have bugged damage reduction. Don't know how long it's been going on for, but it puts an unpleasant twist on my accomplishments. Been playing for 60+ hours, but I'm tempted to start over.

You probably have the stat stacking bug. This will be corrected in the patch hopefully coming out today.

In my search for a good portrait I came across this gem on the Obsidian forums

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71722-the-custom-portraits-thread/page-13#entry1627137

They've improved the Evilore portrait.
For those wanting "gentlemanly flair."

nDbvn8T.png
eZaczFC.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, I just started it but I already have a feeling that it's gonna be a great game. I love writing which is rare.

I know this thread is way past first impressions, but man, I absolutely love this game's aesthetic approach. Visually, it's like this beautiful mix of hand-drawn, yet photo-realistic backgrounds. It looks so much better than what the screenshots I saw suggested.

In fact, I love the game's entire aesthetic - the menus, text boxes, general UI, the "storybook" sequences.

Probably the characters and character animations are the weakest point but totally serviceable, and I love that you can see equipment changes on your character.

That's just from spending a half hour or so with the game, but I can tell I'm going to love playing through this.

cripterion

Wow the end fight... so much bullshit to take, considering I have a maxed out crew with all the best weapons available in the game.

Kinda turned me off the game to be honest.

Nothing like losing a fight very badly, then switching up my tactics and positioning only to whoop ass the next time.

Fan of Flames is stupid OP (at least at level 4)...

Anyone else playing a Ranger and using their companion animal as a tank to keep mobs out front? I find my wolf is excellent for this. He moves out quickly, does some damage, but best of all, is -- as far as I can tell -- unkillable. He gets knocked out every so often (but not often because of his DR) but always hops back up at the end of the battle.

So most of my fights involve sending him out to draw fire while the rest of my crew do ranged attacks from afar. If he starts to fall, THEN I can send out my tank.

I use the wolf to either attack the guys that get past my tanks or loop around the main body and attack the spellcasters in the back since it is so fast. I never have it go first though since it does die way to easily.

Conezays

Are those playing on Hard difficulty finding they have to use everything that's available to them, ie potions, resting, very smart battle tactics, etc.? I do in some cases, but lots of these fights are getting really easy. I'm around level 8 now. None of my stats looked bugged either. Just seems like some weird difficulty (or lack of) spikes in certain areas.

Another way.

You can pick the lock, but there is also a key. Go through the Ogre Cave to the east and then out of the of the cave up a ramp on the left before you get to the Ogre. There is a skull key on a dead body on a rocky outcropping. I picked the lock, but I'm 90% sure that key will unlock the lock.

Ala Alba

One tutorial level thing I hadn't done before:

If you have 3 mechanics at the start of the game, you can get a decent amount of experience, maybe 150 XP, by disarming all the fire traps. They sadly don't go into your inventory to sell, but the experience should help.

You can always return and disarm them later if you really need the xp.

I got higher XP than I've ever managed before (5311/6000), but that's still not enough for level 4. As far as I know I can't do bears, can't do Ranga's cave, can't kill Raedric/Kolsc, and don't have a peaceful way to handle any of those. It's possible with great danger to figurine cheese the bridge by Defiance Bay, but that seems useless since the best you can do is get near 5500/6000 XP by lying to the lady about the ferry looters.

I've done both Ranga's cave and the bears with a solo Chanter on PotD. The bears aren't that hard, either (figurine to stall bear while killing young bears with Fan of Flames scrolls, then stun-lock to victory).

I'm getting my ass handed to me and feel I don't have the right spells.

The last fight is tough as balls, if you haven't already you could try to
pull back towards the machine thingy, since those dudes a pretty huge you won't be ganged up on. And then only keep your tank in melee contact while you grind down the big ones.
Also slick.

Are those playing on Hard difficulty finding they have to use everything that's available to them, ie potions, resting, very smart battle tactics, etc.? I do in some cases, but lots of these fights are getting really easy. I'm around level 8 now. None of my stats looked bugged either. Just seems like some weird difficulty (or lack of) spikes in certain areas.

People tend to forget that level scaling was created to solve a real problem. I think on the balance that no level scaling is better, but it means you are, inevitably, going to have wildly inconsistent levels of difficulty depending on the order in which you do things in the game.

I've done both Ranga's cave and the bears with a solo Chanter on PotD. The bears aren't that hard, either (figurine to stall bear while killing young bears with Fan of Flames scrolls, then stun-lock to victory).
Which figurine are you guys talking about? Spoiler tag if needed.

I'm playing on Hard, and between arriving at
Defiance Bay
and heading south to
fight some drakes like ten hours later
, fights have been inconsequential. The only exception being the
Lighthouse, which I tackled at level 6 and found challenging.
I've pretty much stopped using consumables, keep getting annoyed at myself for forgetting to use my supply of traps, and rest only when I get fatigued.
Drakes are nice and tough, though. I liked those fights.

Wow the end fight... so much bullshit to take, considering I have a maxed out crew with all the best weapons available in the game.

Kinda turned me off the game to be honest.

I just had my cipher use Mind Plague, then my Wizard use Arkemyr's Capricious Hex, and that was pretty much it, just a matter of attacking from there.

Waxwing

People tend to forget that level scaling was created to solve a real problem. I think on the balance that no level scaling is better, but it means you are, inevitably, going to have wildly inconsistent levels of difficulty depending on the order in which you do things in the game.

Exactly. Revel in the fact that your party is now a force to be reckoned with. And there will be difficult fights again soon enough. You also have to understand that some fights are going to be "popcorn" fights simply there for pacing reasons.

Xiraiya

Yeah, it solves the problem of not having to think a whole lot about how your character levels in RPGs, it's contrary to their nature in my opinion.

I really don't enjoy level scaling except in specific situations.

On balance, I prefer being overpowered at times and underpowered at times — and having to gauge which I am, and which resources to burn — over having a perfectly "balanced" and smooth difficulty curve.

ACE 1991

Another way.

You can pick the lock, but there is also a key. Go through the Ogre Cave to the east and then out of the of the cave up a ramp on the left before you get to the Ogre. There is a skull key on a dead body on a rocky outcropping. I picked the lock, but I'm 90% sure that key will unlock the lock.

Ah, just the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Ala Alba

In Gilded Vale, the blacksmith shop has a Horn item that summons a thing to fight for you 1/rest. It's only 600 cp, but they are adjusting the prices for figurines, so that will probably change.

It's not a great summon, but it can knock down and heal once each, and it's good for stalling a really tough enemy for a few seconds on PotD.

What are all those NPC that you can't talk to, but only watch their souls?
What's their purpose? i couldn't fins any connecting lines between the stories.

cirrhosis

What are all those NPC that you can't talk to, but only watch their souls?
What's their purpose? i couldn't fins any connecting lines between the stories.

Those NPCs are Kickstarter backers. Obsidian gave them each flavor text. You can skip them as they serve no purpose. I suppose they have loot if you kill them.

In Gilded Vale, the blacksmith shop has a Horn item that summons a thing to fight for you 1/rest. It's only 600 cp, but they are adjusting the prices for figurines, so that will probably change.

It's not a great summon, but it can knock down and heal once each, and it's good for stalling a really tough enemy for a few seconds on PotD.
Ahh, though I'd missed picking something up. The figurines I have found to date (
Shades and Beetles
) are very powerful.

Xiraiya

On balance, I prefer being overpowered at times and underpowered at times — and having to gauge which I am, and which resources to burn — over having a perfectly "balanced" and smooth difficulty curve.
My issue is that it generally doesn't make sense when regular enemies like "Bandits" in the same area you've walked a hundred times in an RPG are suddenly on par with your max level character, it makes progression feel far less satisfying and in some cases just straight up pointless.
If you want the most basic enemies to be potentially problematic at any point in the game without ruining the feeling of pregression/leveling, Dark Souls is the way to do it.

But I am enjoying the exploration and difficulty in Pillars. Wandering into that goddamn bear cave unprepared was a point I knew I was going to love the game.

Conezays

I'm playing on Hard, and between arriving at
Defiance Bay
and heading south to
fight some drakes like ten hours later
, fights have been inconsequential. The only exception being the
Lighthouse, which I tackled at level 6 and found challenging.
I've pretty much stopped using consumables, keep getting annoyed at myself for forgetting to use my supply of traps, and rest only when I get fatigued.
Drakes are nice and tough, though. I liked those fights.

Yep, they are tough, Lol.

My issue is that it generally doesn't make sense when regular enemies like "Bandits" in the same area you've walked a hundred times in an RPG are suddenly on par with your max level character, it makes progression feel far less satisfying and in some cases just straight up pointless.
Yep. Gets pretty ridiculous when every trash enemy in a Bethesda game is suddenly wearing rare magical armor.

"What difficulty? What was your strategy?"

Hard.

I'd start off the fight by having all of my party (Monk, Eder, Durance, Kana, Grieving Mother, Aloth) except Eder run past the boss and out of range of the initial Holy Radiance so that only Eder would be taking the damage from it. Keep the party spread out and keep an eye on Thaos's nameplate to see if he's casting Pillar of Holy Fire so you can spread out away from whoever he's casting it on. I also had Grieving Mother cast Ringleader (Dominate/AOE Charm), which helped give a nice reprieve and have some time to heal up/rebuff party members and get a little bit of extra damage.

Beat on Thaos until he went into the Judge, though I had Grieving Mother auto attacking the Headsman in order to build focus, since she wasn't building much on Thaos due to his really high defense. Once Thaos hopped into the Judge, I had Aloth repeatedly cast Call to Slumber on the Headsman and Judge, since the Headsman has very low Will defense, he was knocked down almost permanently until it died. I had Eder engaging the Judge away from the rest of the party so the occasional knockdown would only affect him. Kana had the Resurrection Invocation so he could help pick up fallen allies. The Judge has low reflex defense, so I had Aloth casting Fan of Flames and Ray of Fire and again trying to keep it facing away from the party so the AOE Cone knockdown doesn't hit the party.

Nothing really fancy needed for the final phase, just need to have enough party members up (and enough spells/abilities left) to finish Thaos and continue to be cognizant of the Pillar of Holy Fire.

Took a looot of retries.

I am at level 9 and finishing up Act 2 and yes trash mobs have gotten pretty easy. (I don't have any of the stat enhancing bugs either). I can get through them without too much thought or the need to pause too often.

I still rest to replenish spells but now that I have a good handle on the combat system and my characters have solid gear, I can tear through most encounters without too much trouble. Don't use food, almost never have used a scroll or summon or potion really.

Basically just smart battle tactics, making sure my tanks engage and bottle neck melee types and my squishy characters stay out of harms way dropping tons of debuffs on fools. Boss fights are still pretty challenging though, so I'm not complaining.

Haven't relied on slick, mind blades, or the quick reload chant too much, but I do use them here and there. Once they get nerfed a bit I think the challenge will be just right imo.

KingV

I'm level 5 and just getting my ass handed to me. This is especially true when fighting ghost type enemies.

I'm not really sure how to best use my druid and wizard, especially. So many spells damage your party too that I tend not to use them.

If there are some good guides or tips for combat strategy anyone could point to I'd appreciate it.

Also, do you get better bonuses for stats over time? I have some +1 items, but I made my monk with kind of lowish might and would like to boost it via items. She is a tank for damage though.

Xiraiya

I immediately switched my game to Hard and restarted when I heard that it has the intended enemy setup, and you see the difference immediately from the get go.

I'm a big fan of the new enemy variety after playing on normal.

Yep. Gets pretty ridiculous when every trash enemy in a Bethesda game is suddenly wearing rare magical armor.
That actually wasn't a problem with Morrowind, much of that game was static in terms of enemies levels, which made for some really fun moments in the beginning and a really satisfying feeling of basically becoming godlike at the end, until the Tribunal expansion anyway, which showed you what a god was like and what a peasant you were, and then Bloodmoon. Which was literally just a miniature Skyrim on steroids with some Witcher night time scariness thrown into the mix.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Are the act 3 reputation rewards bugged? Songs of the Wild:
I get a huge drop in Twin Elm rep and a boost in gilded vale rep for convincing the orlan chanter not to go hunt down some birds which I don't really understand. edit: okay I just got defiance bay rep for another quest fine then.

Top Bottom