• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Zeliard

Is 55 deflection too high for Eder at level 3?

If you have the Ring of Deflection on him, or something else that gives you +5 Deflection, then 55 is exactly where he should be at level 3 (this is provided he also has a shield, of course).

scy

The player gets 60 + 15 base stats so 75 total, and then +2 from race and +1 from Culture making it 78, so okay yeah that works out.

I assume the Priest was an oversight.

Well, one other adjustment to them all. It really only changes ... well, the "Changes:" I typed out. The stats I listed are correct, just the base stats I was using for a comparison were all off. Apparently all the resources have all their stats wrong, go figure.

Xiraiya

Well, one other adjustment to them all. It really only changes ... well, the "Changes:" I typed out. The stats I listed are correct, just the base stats I was using for a comparison were all off. Apparently all the resources have all their stats wrong, go figure.

Yeah the wiki has been pretty useless for me so far.

cripterion

Patch hits and I defeat the final encounter on my first try, maybe my chars were gimped? Anyways, yay! Finally got this sucker down :D

Miletius

Great news on the patch. I have a lot of stuff to do this weekend, but I hope to squeeze in an hour or two of PoE. I already restarted though, and I'll probably keep my restarted characters instead of my old ones.

Ludovico

Patch notes looking really good.
Barring I don't run into any new issues caused by the patch (lockpicking :( ), can't wait to spend all spring break playing this.

I think I hit a progression bug in late act 2:
So, it's for the animancy trial hearings, I can't go to the area East of Stonewall Gorge or w/e, which is required for the Dozens side of the quest. The Crucible Knights side of the quest isn't even an option, which is probably another bug as I was more friendly with them than I was with the Dozens.
This is with the new patch.

I'll poke around some more, but I might be outta luck.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Nalrend
down! Holy shit that was a fun, intense fight. Had to use so many summons and charm/confusions.

Blizzard

Banned
You could just disregard
Raedric
until you have 7 mechanics. Caed Nua is the only required place.
I just realized this today. Unfortunately, I was excited about the patch until I read something that may almost make triple crown solo impossible besides 2-3 classes:

The bronze horn figurine is now apparently 6000 gold. Even after looting everything early game, I only had around 5000 gold I think.

This makes me really sad. That was super key to making it through some early areas.

It's a little weird since I don't think they would want to make triple crown solo harder. A person from Obsidian posted on reddit and kind of implied they don't even think it's necessarily POSSIBLE (this was before the patch). They asked to see people's save games if anyone finished it legitimately. There's some achievement tracker website that said 2-4 people have the achievement, but I imagine it's possible to cheat in some fashion to get that.

Ozium

anyone have tips for beating (act 2, heritage hill)
leyra, I keep getting killed, are there any usefull spells/buffs against her and the knights with her?

Blizzard

Banned
You can always return and disarm them later if you really need the xp.

I've done both Ranga's cave and the bears
with a solo Chanter on PotD. The bears aren't that hard, either (figurine to stall bear while killing young bears with Fan of Flames scrolls, then stun-lock to victory).
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately your strategy seems to require 1-2 scrolls that I'm not sure are always present, and more importantly now requires 6000 gold at level 3. :( Did you get to level 4 before Caed Nua on PotD?

MmmBeef

Hey guys, playing monk here, hit enough xp last night to level up to 6 but I noticed that the only class talent I can choose is Mortification of the Soul. Does that mean that I missed out on all the other talents I didn't choose or will they come around again when I level up next? Didn't pick up Force of Anguish and kicking myself.

Ala Alba

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately your strategy seems to require 1-2 scrolls that I'm not sure are always present, and more importantly now requires 6000 gold at level 3. :( Did you get to level 4 before Caed Nua on PotD?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can always craft two Fan of Flames scrolls after the intro.

I don't think I got to 4, though, I kinda stopped in the middle of the Temple of Eothas (too boring), and certainly never attempted Caed Nua.

With the horn nerf, I think surviving long enough to get the phantom out might be quite difficult, perhaps more so in the Compass cave because of all the knock-downs.

Nordicus

Hey guys, playing monk here, hit enough xp last night to level up to 6 but I noticed that the only class talent I can choose is Mortification of the Soul. Does that mean that I missed out on all the other talents I didn't choose or will they come around again when I level up next? Didn't pick up Force of Anguish and kicking myself.
You pick new active Monk abilities every odd level

Xiraiya

Class related talents will always be there when you pick talents on even levels, the only ones that won't show up are ones relating to class abilities you don't yet have.

Blizzard

Banned
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can always craft two
Fan of Flames scrolls after the intro.

I don't think I got to 4, though, I kinda stopped in the middle of the Temple of Eothas (too boring), and certainly never attempted Caed Nua.

With the horn nerf,
I think surviving long enough to get the phantom out might be quite difficult, perhaps more so in the Compass cave because of all the knock-downs.
I totally forgot about crafting. I only have one spear spider leg, but I seem to always find one such scroll and could craft a second, so I would end up with two. But, I'd also have to adjust my build or find some other way to get an extra level of lore, and using two such scrolls on something that doesn't unlock any paths or get to level 4 seems wasteful when resources are so tight.

Violet_0

Banned
Well I just had a fantastic and quite difficult fight against (Elmshore)
Naldred the Ogre Shaman
. Either the patch nerfs hit me more than I expected, or Act 3 starts off more balanced than I thought! Good news either way, so much fun beating the shit out of him and having to use tactics again.

that was one of the harder fights in the game, especially when you're around lvl 9-10

Agremont

So, just finished my first playthrough. It's been quite an enjoyable experience and I'm fortunate to have been spared from some of the more serious bugs people have had. Well worth the money I pledged!

I'm a bit pissed of at myself for choosing the wrong option with the souls at the end. I had misunderstood Hylea's request and simply put the souls back into the cycle. Turns out Hylea wanted the souls to go back to the hollowborn. Oh well...

I'm going to have to play through it again to make a bit more sense of the story. I usually get a bit overwhelmed the first time around in story heavy games.

Ala Alba

I totally forgot about crafting. I only have one spear spider leg, but I seem to always find one such scroll and could craft a second, so I would end up with two. But, I'd also have to adjust my build or find some other way to get an extra level of lore, and using two such scrolls on something that doesn't unlock any paths or get to level 4 seems wasteful when resources are so tight.

Actually, one set of ingredients makes two scrolls! As for the lore requirements, Chanters automatically meet the requirements (2 lore for level 1 scrolls), but yeah, for other classes it might not be worth the skill point.

You are right that using them on the bear cave might not be a good idea, especially if you could use them to take out a group of enemies that you can't bypass.

Edit: Talking about this makes me want to try PotD solo again, but I really should finish the main game first.

The cage cursor setting still doesn't seem to be working right. Bummer.

Well this is a fun one, hopefully its not widespread...

Certain quest continuously gives xp after its completed...
I think I ran into this same thing last night. It's not a specific quest that was bugged, but rather after my game was hit, doing anything that netted XP (I tried advancing different quests and picking locks) seemed to give unlimited XP and crashed the game. I reloaded an earlier save and things look to be working fine now.

I've been reading the wiki for a couple hours now, and damn this game looks amazing.

How does it stack up to Divinity: OS? The combat and quest structure of the game was fantastic but something about the writing left me wanting, not sure what it was. I never really felt like I was playing a fleshed-out character - my actions always felt like they were made to best benefit me as the player, instead of what this character with a background and a history would actually do. Does PoE do a better job of making your character feel more like an inhabitant of the world as opposed to a player avatar? How deep are the companion conversation trees? Are there romances/rivalries?

Chaos17

I've been reading the wiki for a couple hours now, and damn this game looks amazing.

How does it stack up to Divinity: OS? The combat and quest structure of the game was fantastic but something about the writing left me wanting, not sure what it was. I never really felt like I was playing a fleshed-out character - my actions always felt like they were made to best benefit me as the player, instead of what this character with a background and a history would actually do. Does PoE do a better job of making your character feel more like an inhabitant of the world as opposed to a player avatar? How deep are the companion conversation trees? Are there romances/rivalries?

Divinity has a better battle system with awesome magic combo.

Sou Da

Not that I'm complaining, but I think there might be a pet duplication bug

1XHvtDS.jpg

Xiraiya

So apparently
That tombstone limerick about the guy jumping off a cliff after sleeping with a girl that turned out to be a guy got removed.
I can see why some people might have an issue with something like that, but personally I say stand by your game and any form of lore in it, or don't put it in to begin with.

duckroll

I think Divinity OS by virtue of being a tactical turn based game, has more precise combat and more interesting options for players in combat with regards to how to approach encounters, prepare for them beforehand, and use the environment to your advantage.

But I can't really say I agree that the overall "gameplay" is clearly better than PoE. There are a lot of things PoE offers in terms of gameplay which are superior to Divinity OS - better character creation options, way more interesting classes and skill spreads, more satisfying itemization, a reputation and faction system which makes choices in individual quests have more impact and provide a more satisfying roleplaying experience, etc.

There are also things Divinity OS does better than PoE outside of combat - I like how it captured more of an Ultima feel interactivity in general with lots of individual items placed all over rather than just loot spots. The stealth system is much better, and there's stuff like pickpocketing.

Overall it's hard for me to say that Divinity OS is a better game, but I also don't care to spend that much time comparing the two since they're both great CRPG experiences. Variety is good, and competition for quality in this specific type of more complex RPGs is something we haven't really had for a long time, so I'm super happy.

I think Divinity OS by virtue of being a tactical turn based game, has more precise combat and more interesting options for players in combat with regards to how to approach encounters, prepare for them beforehand, and use the environment to your advantage.

But I can't really say I agree that the overall "gameplay" is clearly better than PoE. There are a lot of things PoE offers in terms of gameplay which are superior to Divinity OS - better character creation options, way more interesting classes and skill spreads, more satisfying itemization, a reputation and faction system which makes choices in individual quests have more impact and provide a more satisfying roleplaying experience, etc.

There are also things Divinity OS does better than PoE outside of combat - I like how it captured more of an Ultima feel interactivity in general with lots of individual items placed all over rather than just loot spots. The stealth system is much better, and there's stuff like pickpocketing.

Overall it's hard for me to say that Divinity OS is a better game, but I also don't care to spend that much time comparing the two since they're both great CRPG experiences. Variety is good, and competition for quality in this specific type of more complex RPGs is something we haven't really had for a long time, so I'm super happy.
Well, you mentioned all the gameplay areas I most care about in a CRPG. Combat is secondary, to be honest. Very rarely will a game's combat system propel me through a story I find lackluster - last time was Valkyria Chronicles.

No pickpocketing though? What's a rogue's bread and butter?

Nothing will ever top Divinity's stealth animations.
Not that I'm complaining, but I think there might be a pet duplication bug

Same thing happened to my pet Animat, only one of them was invisible. Went away after an area transition. I haven't seen it with any other pet (and I've used many) which leads me to believe that it's specific to that Animat.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting 3 weapon slots for all characters when clicking through the slots now?the third slot isn't unlocked on any character, but all of them have bare hands as the third slot when quick selecting. Super annoying.

Is anyone else getting 3 weapon slots for all characters when clicking through the slots now?the third slot isn't unlocked on any character, but all of them have bare hands as the third slot when quick selecting. Super annoying.

I had a phantom weapon third slot when selecting Kana and switching to others, but I couldn't actually do anything with it. That was pre-patch though, and I haven't used him since.

Truant

I thought Divinity felt kinda hollow and budget-y, besides the great combat.

PoE has that feeling of depth and mystery that the old IE games had, where you always felt there was stuff you didn't do, places you could visit if you wanted, solutions to quests you hadn't thought of. The first Deus Ex also had that vibe to it. Just a myriad of possibilities and options.

Sober

It's techically not a bug because IIRC all characters have an unarmed weapon slot always, it's just that you couldn't realistically switch to it.

Just click on the actual weapon set instead of cycling.

Skux

So apparently
That tombstone limerick about the guy jumping off a cliff after sleeping with a girl that turned out to be a guy got removed.
I can see why some people might have an issue with something like that, but personally I say stand by your game and any form of lore in it, or don't put it in to begin with.

It was replaced, the backer wrote a new tongue-in-cheek epitaph to the epitaph.

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet
He was also a card, but most didn't know it
A poem he wrote in jest was misread
They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

Truant

That's great

Sober

No, the funnier thing is the people getting offended that it was changed and not understanding why it was changed, except that it was changed.

Well, you mentioned all the gameplay areas I most care about in a CRPG. Combat is secondary, to be honest. Very rarely will a game's combat system propel me through a story I find lackluster - last time was Valkyria Chronicles.

No pickpocketing though? What's a rogue's bread and butter?

DPS beast.

Xiraiya

Fair enough then I guess since the same guy wrote a replacement.

Rizzi

I'm offended by this funny limerick in a video game, change your game rabble rabble.
People need to lighten the fuck up.

Top Bottom