• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Just finished the game an hour ago. There are no actual spoilers below, but just in case I figured I'd use them.

I have a lot of thoughts I think I'll put down in my steam review, but ultimately I'm very content yet tinged with unavoidable disappointment. It's really scratched the Infinity Engine itch I've carried for so long now, but ultimately the writing just wasn't on the level I'd hoped for. Excellent world building and a great foundation for future games, but honestly I was hoping for something on the level The Sith Lords or Mask of the Betrayer, and Pillars I feel simply didn't deliver. A couple great companions, the rest merely good. Wove a very interesting mystery with the main plot, didn't pay off in a tremendous fashion. The stronghold was even more barebones than I figured it would be. I was just expecting better from Obsidian.

All in all, solid 'A-' grade from me. If they want to pull their own SR:Hong Kong return to Kickstarter, I'll count myself in once again.

MotherFan

I gotta say, I really don't dig nerfing items in patches in a single player game. Buff shit that sucks if you must, but nerfing just feels wrong.

Especially since it's not like I can just skip the patch, as it fixes some major bugs.

I don't understand this thinking. OP shit makes the game not nearly as fun

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
1024x576.resizedimage

First new glitch only seconds in, Obsidian should hang their heads in shame (and should also never fix this).

scy

Gonna need to go over some pre/post patch comparisons and see who/what was buffed/nerfed there.

So I can type up a full list in a bit but the most noteworthy thing to point out is that they are not retroactive. My old save files seem to have no change.

Besides that, it's mostly -Con / -Per for people who don't need them to gain DEX or INT, whichever they were lacking. I have two NPCs left to get and then I'll have the full list.

Edit: Grieving Mother has zero changes, the one I expected the second largest attribute overhaul for (after Sagani). welp

Palehorse

So glad to be back in. I do notice that a bunch of togglable options are now off for my game that were on by default.

Showing skill checks in conversations
Showing area of effect on spells
Showing conversation option that I don't qualify for.
Accessing stash away from town

There were a few others but that AoE spell one really caught me as I couldn't see where my spells would hit...uhhh. Lol, not sure why those all turned off but if you're seeing changes you don't anticipate you may have had a checkbox cleared.

Zeliard

I gotta say, I really don't dig nerfing items in patches in a single player game. Buff shit that sucks if you must, but nerfing just feels wrong.

Especially since it's not like I can just skip the patch, as it fixes some major bugs.

Use Cheat Engine or something if game balance doesn't interest you.

Xiraiya

So I can type up a full list in a bit but the most noteworthy thing to point out is that they are not retroactive. My old save files seem to have no change.
Besides that, it's mostly -Con / -Per for people who don't need them to gain DEX or INT, whichever they were lacking. I have two NPCs left to get and then I'll have the full list.

I'd be very grateful for a list detailing every Companion's changes since they involve base stats, which is not really something Obsidian can change in existing saves.

So I would like to manually update my companions since I don't really want to restart and it'll be days before the patch hits for GOG users.

Conezays

As a Gog user, I'm probably going to finish the game before the patch hits anyways. Oh well. If I've avoided majority of the bugs 30 hours into the game, I figure I'll be all right.

Corpekata

Banned
Haven't had a chance to play yet, did the patch fix it so that hirelings are showing up as unpaid despite collecting their paychecks? Didn't see it in the notes.

mclem

Has there been any word about physical copies for KS backers being dispatched yet? I'm holding out for the feelies for now (and by the time that arrives, it should be quite nicely patched up!)

Almighty

Has there been any word about physical copies for KS backers being dispatched yet? I'm holding out for the feelies for now (and by the time that arrives, it should be quite nicely patched up!)

The response I got when I emailed them about this was they should have more info in the next news update today. So hopefully they send that out soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How exactly is deflection calculated?

I have Eder at level 3 with 55 deflection. How is that broken down? Is that too high?

Also, I tried to put a ring of deflection on him, and under his equipped status it says the ring is "supressed", and it's greyed out and doesn't give a deflection bonus. Why is that?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I have Eder at level 3 with 55 deflection. How is that broken down? Is that too high?

Also, I tried to put a ring of deflection on him, and under his equipped status it says the ring is "supressed", and it's greyed out and doesn't give a deflection bonus. Why is that?

Its surpressed because you are already getting a bigger bonus from some other source thats overriding it.

You have 2 pieces of equipment with deflection. Stuff doesn't stack in this game

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Because some other object already gives that buff and overrides the previous lower value ones!

Corpekata

Banned

Means he's getting the buff elsewhere. Generally can't stack buffs. So if for instance a cloak of protection and a ring of protection had the same stats, it would be pointless to wear both and one should be given to another party member.

Ala Alba

Best ways to make money early game? I want to make a new full custom party but companions cost alot.

It's very possible to hire a full set of 5 custom adventurers right when you hit level 3 (shortly after arriving in Gilded Vale), which is the optimal time to do it, if you take advantage of Heodan in the opening pre-waterskin event.

It does require starting with a mechanics of 1 for the extra 750cp, though.

Basically:
1. Pre-waterskin, scour the map for all loot. With a mechanics of 1+, you can find a terrible but valuable pistol hidden in a tent in the south-west.
2. Unequip everything except for a single weapon for either you or Calisca.
3. Sell EVERYTHING. This should get you up to ~1900cp.
4. Start the waterskin event, kill the first two enemies for a bow and hide armor. Equip these to make the rest of the enemies doable.
5. Loot everything in the ruins.
6. When you get to Gilded Vale, you should have ~2100cp and enough loot to sell to get the last 400cp you need to hire all 5 adventurers.

I think there's some pre-order or backer item that you can sell for a lot of cp, too, but I don't know about that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Means he's getting the buff elsewhere. Generally can't stack buffs. So if for instance a cloak of protection and a ring of protection had the same stats, it would be pointless to wear both and one should be given to another party member.

Passive buffs from things like talents and racials do stack. Everything else doesnt.

They're not retroactive unfortunately so you'll have to start a new file, but Eder gets -3int, +2 per +1 res (so he's a marginally better tank) and Aloth gets 4 perception moved into dex (so he's a better support mage but still pretty bad at actual damage). And yeah cheat engine + this patch hasn't broken anything.

Crap, they didn't update companion stats in active saves?

scy

I'd be very grateful for a list detailing every Companion's changes since they involve base stats, which is not really something Obsidian can change in existing saves.

So I would like to manually update my companions since I don't really want to restart and it'll be days before the patch hits for GOG users.

I debated how to type this out a bit so I'll just use Classes instead of names~ If people want the whole thing spoiler tagged, I'll do that.

Edit: Fixed a typo on the Fighter's Changes (+2 Res -> +1 Res). Paladin's base stats I was using were incorrect so those have been changed; she received no stat changes.
Edit2: Ranger's stats were way off as well on every wiki / reddit post? This is what I get for not just using my in-game values the entire time.

Fighter:
Mig: 16
Con: 16
Dex: 11
Per: 12
Int: 10
Res: 13
Changes: +2 Per, -3 Int, +1 Res

Wizard:
Mig: 12
Con: 10
Dex: 15
Per: 12
Int: 16
Res: 13
Changes: +4 Dex, -4 Per

Priest:
Mig: 14
Con: 13
Dex: 9
Per: 9
Int: 15
Res: 19
Changes: -2 Con, +2 Int

Chanter:
Mig: 16
Con: 12
Dex: 9
Per: 14
Int: 17
Res: 10
Changes: No change.

Ranger
Mig: 15
Per: 13
Int: 13
Changes: +2 Mig, +1 Dex, -5 Per, +2 Int

Ranger's Pet:
Mig: 10
Con: 8
Per: 15
Int: 5
Res: 12
Changes: -2 Con, +5 Dex, +5 Per, -5 Int, +2 Res

Druid:
Mig: 14
Dex: 12
Per: 13
Int: 15
Changes: -2 Con, -2 Dex, +4 Int

Cipher:
Mig: 11
Dex: 16
Per: 17
Int: 12

Paladin:
Mig: 12
Dex: 11
Per: 14
Int: 13
Res: 15

hunchback

I received my POE Collector's Edition Guide. They did a great job on the amount of info it provides. The main negative is that it is hardbound so it will never be able to sit open while you game. I miss the spiral bound guides they would make.
With the new patch out that also apparently means the stats are changed on some items? So you will have to make notes in the guide.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hahaha holy shit I just entered the cave with
Nalrend the Wis
e and god damn is that a death trap. I don't know how I feel about my chances of making this happen lol

scy

That's fantastic, thank you.

I edited one change since this post (+1 Res for the Fighter, not +2; listed stat is correct, just the gain in the Changes: part was off). Apparently basic addition/subtraction eludes me ;__; Going to double check the rest one more time to make sure I didn't make another goof.

Incidentally, the Priest has 79 total attributes vs everyone else at 78. The Ranger "gained" a stat point for free but she was missing one before (77 in her old stats) as well.

peakish

Well I just had a fantastic and quite difficult fight against (Elmshore)
Naldred the Ogre Shaman
. Either the patch nerfs hit me more than I expected, or Act 3 starts off more balanced than I thought! Good news either way, so much fun beating the shit out of him and having to use tactics again.

Well I just had a fantastic and quite difficult fight against Naldred the Ogre Shaman. Either the patch nerfs hit me more than I expected, or Act 3 starts off more balanced than I thought! Good news either way, so much fun beating the shit out of him and having to use tactics again.

Add spoilers bro!

Xiraiya

I edited one change since this post (+1 Res for the Fighter, not +2; listed stat is correct, just the gain in the Changes: part was off). Apparently basic addition/subtraction eludes me ;__; Going to double check the rest one more time to make sure I didn't make another goof.

Incidentally, the Priest has 79 total attributes vs everyone else at 78. The Ranger "gained" a stat point for free but she was missing one before (77 in her old stats) as well.
The player gets 60 + 15 base stats so 75 total, and then +2 from race and +1 from Culture making it 78, so okay yeah that works out.

I assume the Priest was an oversight.

Top Bottom