• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Well, it's a niche offering. It's not for everyone, but damn it's good at what it does. If the Infinity Engine games seem like a good time, then yes, this is a well-written, complex, and deeply satisfying game. I actually don't want to finish it. It's been years since I've had a comparable experience.

Yep, I'm already 20 hours in and still on Act 1 running around in Defiance Bay.
I don't want this game to end.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
ok kool thx, was trying to decide whether to make/hire one in the first town

Their spells are pretty good but rely on the battle going a long time before they can be cast (it's dependent on how long they've been singing) so they're a bit worse on easy/normal, just warning you!

ZZMitch

So did the stats for companions that got buffed by that bug get fixed in the new patch? Or do I have to start a new save to have correct stats on characters? I haven't had a a chance to get in game to check and I hear conflicting stuff.

fester

Banned
Well it seems like if you're offended by something in the game you could just ask Obsidian to remove it.

It has little to do with being offended and everything to do with the content shitting on a certain group of people for a cheap "laugh." Shame and suicide references? Really? Get that bullshit out of here.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I made a huge mistake and selected the cocky voice for my character. I didn't realize at first but now it's really really grating on my nerves. It's not how my character is supposed to sound at all!

Does anyone know if it is possible to edit that option on a .cfg file somewhere? I've looked everywhere but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this. It's only been 3 hours but I'd rather not start again. Can anyone help?

Ozium

So did the stats for companions that got buffed by that bug get fixed in the new patch? Or do I have to start a new save to have correct stats on characters? I haven't had a a chance to get in game to check and I hear conflicting stuff.

it applies to saves as well

FACE

Banned
So in the quest blood legacy
I am fighting Wymund right now and hes kicking my ass badly, does anyone have any good strategy or tips on how to deal with him? He has some kind of spell that insta kills some of my party members

I'm also having problems there.

Mostly because when I start talking to him my characters position themselves in a line and both my Wizard and Grieving Mother hang out in the front for whatever reason.

Xiraiya

I feel bad for Obsidian for the mess over in their forums about that limerick in the game.
They'll get over it eventually.

Doesn't seem like you can satisfy people no matter what you do.

Palehorse

I had a confusing moment. I opened a chest and triggered a trap and right at that moment a notification popped that a quest had failed. What?

I couldn't spot what quest it was as there doesn't appear to be a section on failed quests..

Then I realized that the trap had killed Aloth dead dead and his side quest had been failed. (no relation to the trap) That was my first party death and I had to go back a bit on reload...I should save more often.

I love this game.

Where in the game can you buy Berath's Bell? It's needed a lot for slaying enchantments. I know I've met a ton of random shopkeepers with inventory that I didn't care about at the time, but now I have the funds to buy mats and enchant...and I can't find anyone who can sell me what I need.

Conezays

Spoilers for Act 2 Quest:

So I'm a champion for Crucible Knights, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do more quests for Clyver/get him to give me an invitation even though he made me an honorary judiciar. Is my quest bugged or is there a step I'm missing in getting an invite?

Anyone? Please :p

Looking around, it looks like this main quest is bugged, preventing me from continuing forward. Maybe the patch will help?

Blizzard

Banned
Where in the game can you buy Berath's Bell? It's needed a lot for slaying enchantments. I know I've met a ton of random shopkeepers with inventory that I didn't care about at the time, but now I have the funds to buy mats and enchant...and I can't find anyone who can sell me what I need.
If you're talking about the herb, this is totally off the top of my head:

I -think- there is one outside Raedric's Keep. Check the bottom half of the map carefully.

Violet_0

Banned
Well I defeated the
sky dragon by running around in circles until my chanter had enough chants to summon ogres. The dragon is stationary except for its jumping to another location, and its AoE has a long wind up, so its very easy to kite. The Ogres and Eder tanked it until I shot it to death with guns and spells.

I think we're talking about a different boss here :p
the one you mentioned is rather easy, the Endless Paths boss is by far the most difficult fight in the game

just finished the game, beat the final boss on the second try without any trouble once I figured out what I have to do (hard + expert). Gonna do a little writeup about my ending

Nordicus

My tanky rogue melee Watcher is becoming something quite amazing.

He takes little to no damage, being coated from head to toe in metal and all. His accuracy with his longsword makes it deal impressive (crit) damage with the sneak attack bonus on top, often rivaling 2-handed weapons but with more speed. The Riposte rogue talent coupled with my really high Deflection, blinded inaccurate enemy and sword damage, means that every time my enemy misses me, they get punished with 30+ damage sword swing in their face, and that happens quite alot. Unless crazy overleveled, enemies should be afraid of taking my Watcher on mano a mano! He's a duelist prodigy!

.... then he falls on his ass if even a slight wind blows in his direction. FUCK! Curse my low Fortitude saves, my one achilles heel!

Need to fix that with future talents on level-up

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
(Act 3) So uh... I just murdered every npc in the
blood sands
. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Irobot82

Who do some stats or abilities become Suppressed? Is there some kind of max threshold? I have an AOE multiplier and a stat increase that are suppressed.

Violet_0

Banned
Who do some stats or abilities become Suppressed? Is there some kind of max threshold? I have an AOE multiplier and a stat increase that are suppressed.

if you have two items that give the same bonus (say, a ring with +1 might and a belt with +2 might), the lesser bonus will be suppressed

Tukker

I'm also having problems there.

Mostly because when I start talking to him my characters position themselves in a line and both my Wizard and Grieving Mother hang out in the front for whatever reason.
Yea same kind of problem here, it is rather idiotic, im tempted to dial down the difficulty :p

Artchur

Anyone playing this one a Macbook Air? I realize it's not the most graphically intensive game but I'm thinking about picking it up for an upcoming roadtrip. Combat is pausable right so the touchpad shouldn't be an issue?

Spoilers for Act 2 Quest:

So I'm a champion for Crucible Knights, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do more quests for Clyver/get him to give me an invitation even though he made me an honorary judiciar. Is my quest bugged or is there a step I'm missing in getting an invite?

Anyone? Please :p

Looking around, it looks like this main quest is bugged, preventing me from continuing forward. Maybe the patch will help?

I just got to this point...personally I think
I have to continue doing quests for Dunryd Row, finishing up their stuff, and then at some point Lady Webb will be like "hey you should go to the hearings, get someone to sponsor you, or I can do it if I have to." That's what I get from having read some stuff online before I should have. :p

fester

Banned
I feel bad for Obsidian for the mess over in their forums about that limerick in the game.
They'll get over it eventually.

Doesn't seem like you can satisfy people no matter what you do.

They should have paid closer attention to what was going into their game. When you put your name on something, isn't checking the content kind of important?

Conezays

I just got to this point...personally I think
I have to continue doing quests for Dunryd Row, finishing up their stuff, and then at some point Lady Webb will be like "hey you should go to the hearings, get someone to sponsor you, or I can do it if I have to." That's what I get from having read some stuff online before I should have. :p

Yeah, I did all that, and am a Champion of one of the groups. I just read on the Obsidian forum that they plan to fix this specific issue in patch 1.04, not 1.03. :(

The "workaround" is
apparently killing all the different factions and having Lady Webb sponsor you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anyone playing this one a Macbook Air? I realize it's not the most graphically intensive game but I'm thinking about picking it up for an upcoming roadtrip. Combat is pausable right so the touchpad shouldn't be an issue?

I played a couple hours of it on my 2015 13" rMBP and performance was pretty good at ~1080p and it controlled totally fine on the touchpad. A 2013+ Air should be able to handle it at 720p without incident, I'd think.

Xiraiya

They should have paid closer attention to what was going into their game. When you put your name on something, isn't checking the content kind of important?

Well it's not like Backers were putting stuff into the game themselves, they submit something and I would imagine Obsidian were saying yes or no.

Personally the original limerick wasn't a big deal, enough for someone to be like "That sucks" but not enough for this kind of outrage. I saw it and thought "Well that character was stupid for killing himself over that", nothing more.

Sober

Well it's not like Backers were putting stuff into the game themselves, they submit something and I would imagine Obsidian were saying yes or no.

Personally the original limerick wasn't a big deal, enough for someone to be like "That sucks" but not enough for this kind of outrage. I saw it and thought "Well that character was stupid for killing himself over that", nothing more.
I didn't take that "transphobic" (in scare quotes) reading either, and I didn't even notice it nor any of the backer stuff really. And since it's non-diegetic (or extra-diegetic) anyway, it's more or less divorced from the actual text of the game. I've played up to the end of Act 2 and there's nothing to suggest the suggested matter of the limmerick fits into the overall, setting, themes and tone of the game, so I also find it laughable when people bring up comparing this to the actual content created for the game.

Considering it wasn't content created specifically for the game but as backer rewards, it's not going to be scrutinized as hard as actual content for the game. They probably had maybe a handful of people do a really quick vet for nothing obviously offensive and then left it at that if it passed that low benchmark.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, all the people who are disproportionately angry about it being changed are the same people who found it insulting a woman deigned to say something negative about a video game.

edit: for those so inclined, there's already a mod for it anyway: http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/28/?

Ketch

A throw away poem is not worth keeping in the game if it's offensive. It adds no value to the actual gameplay, it's not part of the artistic vision, it changes nothing whether it's in or it's not. Especially since the poem that replaced was written by the same dude.

It's not censorship, it's realizing a bad joke was used in the wrong environment and apologizing. It's common decency.

The people mad about it getting taken out need to tell that joke face to face with a transgender person they've never met before. And if they're comfortable with doing that then their opinion is invalid anyway on the grounds of them being assholes.

Beloved

I didn't take that "transphobic" (in scare quotes) reading either, and I didn't even notice it nor any of the backer stuff really. And since it's non-diegetic (or extra-diegetic) anyway, it's more or less divorced from the actual text of the game. I've played up to the end of Act 2 and there's nothing to suggest the suggested matter of the limmerick fits into the overall, setting, themes and tone of the game, so I also find it laughable when people bring up comparing this to the actual content created for the game.

Considering it wasn't content created specifically for the game but as backer rewards, it's not going to be scrutinized as hard as actual content for the game. They probably had maybe a handful of people do a really quick vet for nothing obviously offensive and then left it at that if it passed that low benchmark.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, all the people who are disproportionately angry about it being changed are the same people who found it insulting a woman deigned to say something negative about a video game.

edit: for those so inclined, there's already a mod for it anyway: http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/28/?

A throw away poem is not worth keeping in the game if it's offensive. It adds no value to the actual gameplay, it's not part of the artistic vision, it changes nothing whether it's in or it's not. Especially since the poem that replaced was written by the same dude.

It's not censorship, it's realizing a bad joke was used in the wrong environment and apologizing. It's common decency.

The people mad about it getting taken out need to tell that joke face to face with a transgender person they've never met before. And if they're comfortable with doing that then their opinion is invalid anyway on the grounds of them being assholes.

You've both put into words what I've been trying to articulate since this all came up. You're exactly right and it baffles me there are are so many people disproportionally upset over it.

My wizards are getting slaughtered by range, and my druid also dies pretty easily. My party right now is...

My fighter (sword and shield)
Eder (sword and shield)
Aloth
Recruited adventurer wizard (way better than Aloth)
Durance
Hiravias

The way they built Aloth makes no sense to me. Is he worth using over a wizard recruit?

Also, I have grieving mother, but after looking at her setup briefly, she didn't seem to be worth using over any of my other characters. Maybe I just don't understand how ciphers work.

I don't see how that joke is offensive in ANY way to transvestites\transsexuals.

To me, the subject of the joke is the man who kills himself, and not the person he slept with. I don't read this and see a character that kills himself in shame from having slept with a transvestite\transsexual, but rather a man who couldn't cope wit having engaged in a homosexual activity.

It's just weird to picture yourself in a homosexual situation if you're straight, and I would imagine it's difficult having to relive a memory like that. It would probably bother me a lot too. Not enough to kill myself, but enough to thoroughly gross me out. I don't think that makes me homophobic\transphobic\etc etc. Nor do I think the character in the joke is transphobic. So I don't think the joke is transphobic at all. If anything, it's a commentary on the inability for straight men to cope with the idea of engaging in a sexual act with another man....

For more context, compare this to a scene that happens at the end of Ave Ventura: Pet Detective. A lot of men, having discovered that Lois Einhorn is actually a man, start reacting in disgust because they kissed her in the past. It just goes to show you that straight men find the act of kissing another man revolting (let alone more involved sexual activities).

The backer's replacement is even self-aware and funny, an improvement over what was originally submitted.
This I agree with.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Feargus even came out and said that it wouldn't have been in the game in the first place had the piece of backer content been vetted properly. And I don't see Obsidian coming to any substantive PR harm had they just ignored the whole issue, so it was their call to freely make and they made it. The backer's replacement is even self-aware and funny, an improvement over what was originally submitted. This thread isn't an ideological battleground. Let's move on.

Varna

I should be able to check tonight if they're cut on Path of the Damned, since I've played through the tutorial on that difficulty so many times now. :p

I just restarted on hard and as you are heading back to camp there was only one enemy and during the scene there was only 2 enemies instead of 4. Double checked that I am on hard/expert .

Sober

My wizards are getting slaughtered by range, and my druid also dies pretty easily. My party right now is...

My fighter (sword and shield)
Eder (sword and shield)
Aloth
Recruited adventurer wizard (way better than Aloth)
Durance
Hiravias

The way they built Aloth makes no sense to me. Is he worth using over a wizard recruit?

Also, I have grieving mother, but after looking at her setup briefly, she didn't seem to be worth using over any of my other characters. Maybe I just don't understand how ciphers work.
Aloth is fine but he just doesn't have a billion INT/MIG to min/max. Give him a gun, problem solved.

Actually a lot of problems can be fixed with more guns.

Also if you haven't tried Grieving Mother or a cipher, get a hurry on that stat.

Xiraiya

I just restarted on hard and as you are heading back to camp there was only one enemy and during the scene there was only 2 enemies instead of 4. Double checked that I am on hard/expert .

I wonder why they changed that, it wasn't really difficult or anything.

I seem to recall on Normal: there were 2 on the ambush, 2 on the way back to camp and 3 during the camp scene.
And on Hard: 2 at Ambush, 3 on the way to camp, 4 during camp scene.

I wonder if they did that because of the increase of XP with less party members, wait you don't get XP per kill.

I have no idea then.

_Clash_

Ergh so the defiance bay factions are poorly executed.

I accepted one quest too many for the forge knights and i can't be offered quests by the dozens besides strongly preferring them.

All because I couldn't find a lead on Osric's armour.

Dresden

2/3/4 is how Path plays out, so maybe they lessened it for hard due to it? Pretty odd change.

Ergh so the defiance bay factions are poorly executed.

I accepted one quest too many for the forge knights and i can't be offered quests by the dozens besides strongly preferring them.

All because I couldn't find a lead on Osric's armour.

They tell you it's going to piss off the other factions if you accept, though.

Almighty

Sorry to hear that, what bug are you seeing?

Some graphics bug where this happens when my characters are moving around
NmfE8fy.png

If they are standing still everything it fine, but if they are moving that happens. As far as I can tell it is pretty rare as besides me I can find only three others who reported it. My best guess is it is because my PC is an old pos.

Top Bottom