• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

wolfhowwl

Banned
The one
in Searing Falls (the cave). He alone wouldn't have been so hard but keeping the 2 drake ads plus the xurips in check while killing the Priests first was problematic.

That guy wasn't too bad. A certain later one steamrolled me in moments though lol.

Kyuur

This wolf pack is kicking my solo Chanter ass on Hard. :( My skeletons are just too fragile!

Edit: Managed to do it! Hooray for chokepoints.

Beloved

ill lighten up when all the friends that have been murdered or committed suicide come back to life.

Woop there it is.

Frankly, it doesn't matter that it was changed. It affects no one's gaming experience whatsoever. If someone finds it silly that people thought it was offensive, that's their prerogative but this post right here is exactly why some people are sensitive about that subject and they have every right to be.

Also the backer's replacement poem is great.

Visceir

Rather curious -- now that everyone has been able to pour time into the game, do you think the high review scores were justified?

Sober

Woop there it is.

Frankly, it doesn't matter that it was changed. It affects no one's gaming experience whatsoever. If someone finds it silly that people thought it was offensive, that's their prerogative but this post right here is exactly why some people are sensitive about that subject and they have every right to be.

Also the backer's replacement poem is great.
Apparently making a cRPG that's an homage to games of the late 90s is supposed to give people permission to act like it's still the late 90s.

Violet_0

Banned
defeated the Endless Paths boss using a bullshit tactic, but you know what - the boss is pretty bullshit too
got her stuck on and let my companions fire at her for 5+ minutes - had ample opportunity to test various spells on her in the meantime and it turns out she is completely immune to all druid and priest spells I tested on her, only some cypher spells got through. And despite my entire party having high accuracy I rarely ever hit her. Let's not even mention the instant death aoe attacks
I wonder if there's a proper way to beat it without a super tanky character
spoilers:
e: also the barbarian threatening presence passive applies to enemies even when the character is dead

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rather curious -- now that everyone has been able to pour time into the game, do you think the high review scores were justified?

Yes. 90ish score seems right to me. Its going to be great seeing what Obsidian can do with the sequel (and expansion).

I agree with the scores when it comes to the game, and I am extremely happy with how this has turned out so far. The only thing I disagree with the reviews, which would of been difficult for reviewers to catch, are the lack of mention of the game breaking bugs. Most of them weren't discovered until after reviews hit, but even so for myself personally the game breaking bugs made the game unplayable. I would of waited till the patch to purchase and would hope that if the reviewers saw these bugs they would at least include them in their review.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Well, it's a niche offering. It's not for everyone, but damn it's good at what it does. If the Infinity Engine games seem like a good time, then yes, this is a well-written, complex, and deeply satisfying game. I actually don't want to finish it. It's been years since I've had a comparable experience.

Xiraiya

I agree with the scores when it comes to the game, and I am extremely happy with how this has turned out so far. The only thing I disagree with the reviews, which would of been difficult for reviewers to catch, are the lack of mention of the game breaking bugs. Most of them weren't discovered until after reviews hit, but even so for myself personally the game breaking bugs made the game unplayable. I would of waited till the patch to purchase and would hope that if the reviewers saw these bugs they would at least include them in their review.

They were really easy to miss.

I happened to never quit and reload the game where I had picked up a companion, and I never bothered to try double clicking equipment, so the game was completely fine for me.
Potentially game ruining for the unlucky? Sure.

Gamebreaking means the game would not be able to be finished, which is not the case.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

im going to have to cut the reviewers some slack here. Unlike most games where bugs are completely obvious where faces are missing or people levitating 30 miles up into the sky or whatever, most of the bugs out of the gate are difficult to spot unless you are really paying attention to the numbers. Even people looking at the numbers during the Backer Beta didnt notice these.

It was replaced, the backer wrote a new tongue-in-cheek epitaph to the epitaph.

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet
He was also a card, but most didn't know it
A poem he wrote in jest was misread
They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

Brilliant response

They were really easy to miss.

I happened to never quit and reload the game where I had picked up a companion, and I never bothered to try double clicking equipment, so the game was completely fine for me.
Potentially game ruining for the unlucky? Sure.

Gamebreaking means the game would not be able to be finished, which is not the case.

Yep, none of the big bugs hit me either. Some really minor things that I'm sure will be fixed.

im going to have to cut the reviewers some slack here. Unlike most games where bugs are completely obvious where faces are missing or people levitating 30 miles up into the sky or whatever, most of the bugs out of the gate are difficult to spot unless you are really paying attention to the numbers. Even people looking at the numbers during the Backer Beta didnt notice these.

Dude I agree with you completely! I wasn't blaming the reviewers or the reviews or anything like that. They just missed something that was really really obscure, which isn't their fault.

I can't find how you import your own portraits into the game, could someone link it, or TLDR it for me?

Also, if you do this does it disable achievements in steam? Cause you know....fake internet points matter.

Xiraiya

I can't find how you import your own portraits into the game, could someone link it, or TLDR it for me?

Also, if you do this does it disable achievements in steam? Cause you know....fake internet points matter.
No it doesn't disable achievements, it's literally just plopping PNG images into the right folder and they show up in the selection.

Nordicus

Oh dear, ooooh dear. Might not have been the smartest idea to
jump down the pit from level 2 to 5, when the level 2 "bossfight" gave me such trouble already. I'm staying the fuck away from that dragon and starting my climb back up the hard, violent way. Playing on Normal, so I think my current camping supplies will be enough to make it back. I have a level 6 party right now.

I have a save from right before I made that decision/mistake, so I could undo, but sod it, I'm gonna give it a shot!

KR_remix

Overall it's hard for me to say that Divinity OS is a better game, but I also don't care to spend that much time comparing the two since they're both great CRPG experiences. Variety is good, and competition for quality in this specific type of more complex RPGs is something we haven't really had for a long time, so I'm super happy.

Well they both pretty much achieved what they set out to do, we got a great IE style game and a Divinity game more in line with their original intentions for the series. More importantly both games seem to have played a big part in turning both companies around, Obsidian was in a bad place and Larian was near bankruptcy. Now we are getting 2 more crpgs from Larian and who knows how many more from Obsidian after this.

Sou Da

Oh dear, ooooh dear. Might not have been the smartest idea to
jump down the pit from level 2 to 5, when the level 2 "bossfight" gave me such trouble already. I'm staying the fuck away from that dragon and starting my climb back up the hard, violent way. Playing on Normal, so I think my current camping supplies will be enough to make it back. I have a level 6 party right now.

I have a save from right before I made that decision/mistake, so I could undo, but sod it, I'm gonna give it a shot!

Funnily enough I just fought that, it becomes rather easy when you get two certan companions together.

JC Sera

defeated the Endless Paths boss using a bullshit tactic, but you know what - the boss is pretty bullshit too
got her stuck on and let my companions fire at her for 5+ minutes - had ample opportunity to test various spells on her in the meantime and it turns out she is completely immune to all druid and priest spells I tested on her, only some cypher spells got through. And despite my entire party having high accuracy I rarely ever hit her. Let's not even mention the instant death aoe attacks
I wonder if there's a proper way to beat it without a super tanky character
spoilers:
e: also the barbarian threatening presence passive applies to enemies even when the character is dead
Well I defeated the
sky dragon by running around in circles until my chanter had enough chants to summon ogres. The dragon is stationary except for its jumping to another location, and its AoE has a long wind up, so its very easy to kite. The Ogres and Eder tanked it until I shot it to death with guns and spells.

Patch Notes 1.03
Cage Cursor setting should not turn off after loading a scene or cutscene and is now on by default.

Thank god. As someone who uses a dual monitor setup, the cage cursor fix was a necessity. Alt tabbing after every loading scene and cutscene was getting very annoying.

studyguy

I honestly could not care less about the NPC stories. Sucks to be that one dude, but whatever man. I just want the bugs gone.

Dumb question, how do you use the Botanical Gardens in your stronghold? Is there a vendor anywhere? Do you just have to swing by every once in a while to pick up mats?

I built them but I can't interact with it.

Beloved

Well it seems like if you're offended by something in the game you could just ask Obsidian to remove it.

That's needlessly oversimplifying what actually happened. Obviously they're not going to remove something that isn't remotely problematic.

Almighty

Well it seems like if you're offended by something in the game you could just ask Obsidian to remove it.

Honestly I think it was silly(can't think of a good word) for Obsidian to remove it, but even if we assume Obsidian had no problem with it I don't blame them for picking their battles. I know I wouldn't want to start a big ole internet fight over something I didn't write so I would of changed it as well.

draetenth

Add spoilers bro!

Uh fyi, you might want to do the same... You quoted him and still have the spoiler showing in your post... Not that I see what the big deal is over this one, but I'm not really one to care about spoilers anyway. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Man, I can't wait to play this game. I'm currently playing Disgaea 4 on the Vita and since it was a x-mas gift from my sister, I feel obligated to play the heck out of it...

I think I've decided that my team will probably be:

Me - Rogue or Ranger. I like what I've read of Rogues and how there aren't any companions, but I do like the thought of having a Ranger pet as an extra tank/attacker.
Wizard - Companion or Hireling (that's the term right?), I like playing with developer created allies during the first time through the game, but I don't really like what I've read of the companion wizard (and i'm not really talking about his stat distribution either).
Cipher - Companion
Priest - Companion
Druid - Companion
Chanter - Companion

Question for the completionists out there...

I've got Pallegina, Hiravias and Grieving Mother chilling back at my stronghold. I would like to do their quests, but I still have uncompleted quests with the other companions currently in my roster. If I get too far into the game, is it still possible to do some of their quests? Or do I need to switch them out now and backtrack to do them? (I'm specifically thinking about Pallegina and the Valian Embassy.)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the game. Combat never reached Divinity: OS heights, and I'd probably take the Dragonfall story over this one if I really had to choose... but as a combined package it's the best RPG in a looong time.

There's still a lot of problems I have with the game-
the later companions don't seem as well-integrated into the story as Eder/Aloth/Durance, hard difficulty stops being hard unless you got for the optional fights (I've seen people talk about Thaos as being difficult but either 11 was way too overlevelled or petrifying him and then striking him with a line of guns doesn't allow him to pull out any bullshit), class balance is a little out of whack, etc
but it definitely deserves the praise.

Thinking of doing a path of the damned playthrough with a barbarian with high Might/Res. I guess tanking Int is out of the question considering how they work. Would it have to be perception and con?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Question for the completionists out there...

I've got Pallegina, Hiravias and Grieving Mother chilling back at my stronghold. I would like to do their quests, but I still have uncompleted quests with the other companions currently in my roster. If I get too far into the game, is it still possible to do some of their quests? Or do I need to switch them out now and backtrack to do them? (I'm specifically thinking about Pallegina and the Valian Embassy.)

Those three's quests seem pretty much separate from the story- you might get extra stuff if you bring them in the final area though I dunno.

Morzak

That guy wasn't too bad. A certain later one steamrolled me in moments though lol.

I had some trouble with it :p . After the slicken and mind blades nerv I really have to rethink my Party.

With only one Tank (Eder) it can get a bit critical if you can't just abuse a doorway. My rogue can't really take too much abuse, I could try to give him higher DR armor but that would lower his DPS.
Saganis fox
also can't take too much damage until it goes down. I probably try to switch
the Griefing Mother
for
Pallegina
. I don't want to switch out
Durance and Aloth since their spells are to valuable in harder fights.

Tom Penny

Glitch? Just chilliin at the crib with my Dragon...

deca7a5b-3ef1-466f-92d9-f30b0519f300.png

Tukker

So in the quest blood legacy
I am fighting Wymund right now and hes kicking my ass badly, does anyone have any good strategy or tips on how to deal with him? He has some kind of spell that insta kills some of my party members

Top Bottom