• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yuss, 1 gig patch downloading.

853.7 MB for me. What is this ****? Can I boycott now!? Demand a refund!?

Just kidding. Glad the patch was released so quickly. As soon as I read the tentative patchnotes a couple of hours ago I decided to wait until it was released to continue playing. It seems the wait wasn't as painful as I was expecting :)

I'm pretty early in the game. Currently running through Lord Raedric's Fort with four party members (the ones you meet).

Question: How viable are guns with a Cipher? Currently having my Death Godlike Cipher staying back and using a crossbow to blast folks. I know it's slow, but it does a pretty decent amount of damage and I like being the nuker who mostly stays back and blasts stuff..

Question: How viable are guns with a Cipher? Currently having my Death Godlike Cipher staying back and using a crossbow to blast folks. I know it's slow, but it does a pretty decent amount of damage and I like being the nuker who mostly stays back and blasts stuff..
Extremely viable, especially if you have good MIG (which affects damage) and DEX (which affects reload speed). The blunderbuss is arguably the best Cipher weapon, because it hits multiple times, and each hit can yield Focus.

I'm pretty early in the game. Currently running through Lord Raedric's Fort with four party members (the ones you meet).

Blunderbusses work very well. Really, anything that keeps them out of melee range is something I would recommend - Ciphers just aren't durable enough for front-line combat.

It's like you're this thread's narrator. :)

1. Use it from a character's item slot (bottom of the screen).
2. No idea; check the keybindings in the options menu.

all i see is quick items. when its in the slot double clicking or right clicking does nothing

i dont see key commands for quick slot use

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75170-patch-103-is-live-on-steam/

Hey, everyone. The 1.03 patch is live on Steam. To make sure your game updates you will probably want to completely quit out of the Steam client and jump back in.

GOG and Origin will be going through their own QA process before putting the patch live on their end. I expect it will take them a couple of days to run through that process on their side.

And GOG users wept.

Damn it, come on GoG, go faster!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75170-patch-103-is-live-on-steam/

Hey, everyone. The 1.03 patch is live on Steam. To make sure your game updates you will probably want to completely quit out of the Steam client and jump back in.

GOG and Origin will be going through their own QA process before putting the patch live on their end. I expect it will take them a couple of days to run through that process on their side.

And GOG users wept.

In Steam we trust. Glad it came out now and that I have a half day. Just 2 hours and I'll be home.

I didn't even realise Origin had PoE.
all i see is quick items. when its in the slot double clicking or right clicking does nothing

i dont see key commands for quick slot use

When the item is placed in the inventory menu's quick slots (accessible by 'i') you should be able to left-click it on the main UI (that you would use in combat). I think it was a single click, but it works fine for me so I haven't really paid attention to it.

Note that there are some quick slot items that are only usable in-combat, which may be your problem.

Extremely viable, especially if you have good MIG (which affects damage) and DEX (which affects reload speed). The blunderbuss is arguably the best Cipher weapon, because it hits multiple times, and each hit can yield Focus.

Blunderbusses work very well. Really, anything that keeps them out of melee range is something I would recommend - Ciphers just aren't durable enough for front-line combat.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I think I mostly focused on putting points into Might, Perception and Intelligence because those were the recommended stats. Admittedly I didn't exactly go into ultra-Min/Max state with my character because I was a bit afraid that the penalties for going under 10 will bite me in the arse somehow. I did stuff like that in New Vegas to an extent, but I guess I'm a bit paranoid this time around.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I think I mostly focused on putting points into Might, Perception and Intelligence because those were the recommended stats. Admittedly I didn't exactly go into ultra-Min/Max state with my character because I was a bit afraid that the penalties for going under 10 will bite me in the arse somehow. I did stuff like that in New Vegas to an extent, but I guess I'm a bit paranoid this time around.
That sounds fine. MIG and INT are the principal Cipher stats because they govern the damage, duration and AoE of your powers. It won't be a problem at all that you haven't minmaxed, and it will be better for the RP/conversation side of things.

Dsyndrome

Five more hours until I get to play, then driving to Oregon later tonight. Glad I'll get some time in today at least, thanks Obsidian!

Sou Da

Can you expand on this? Maybe save in a new slot and restart the game? You might be on a save that still has all the trap info and you just need to run a new save without that info.

I'm talking about this issue. The continue and load buttons are grayed out unless I exit, remove a save from my saved games folder and restart the game.

TMPP82s.jpg

Are you?

Durante

That's a pretty amazing changelist for 1 week.

Also, roughly half the "balance" changes are things I posted about before, and almost everything was discussed here :p

Xiraiya

Has anyone tried not getting companions until reaching level cap? the Extra talent that Eder gets if you get him after level 3 made me wonder about what the game gives companions all the way until the end.

Right now I just used the console to boost up my level to see what happens if you get Aloth at level 12.

Looks like the game built him up, has all 6 Talents and a ton of spells.
I wonder if they built him to be any good, I might screenshot his stuff for reference and do the same for others to see what obsidian built companions are like to play through the game with leveling naturally.

And GOG users wept.
Damn... that's unfortunate, makes me just want to grab the steam version.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So happy to hear the patch is out in time for nice marathon session this weekend.

I will be very interested to see reports of how hard the nerf bat has been swung in various directions. Also what exactly was meant by the patch line:
Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak.

Gonna need to go over some pre/post patch comparisons and see who/what was buffed/nerfed there.

Man, my party is level 11 and the boss (I am not spoiling) at the 15th level of the Endless Paths ate me for fucking breakfast. And sure, you can avoid the fight, but I want to fight it and kill it.

I started enchanting stuff and will juggle capes, boots and other armor items around my party to improve my stats; I will go back once I reach the final character level (supposed to be 12?). The only other fight I haven't beaten so far is Nalrend the Wise, who decimated me too.

I hope the patch doesn't fuck things up too much.

Jag

This is the reason I got PoE on Steam over GoG. While I support GoG, the patch time frame for new games is always behind Steam. GoG also doesn't get beta patches either.

Rad-

Nooo slicken nerf. Game just got twice as hard.
It was a deserved nerf really.

Nice to see monk unarmed get a buff. Though tbh it needs even more, like being able to enchant your fists or something.

Irobot82

I'm in ACT 2 at Dryford and I have yet to find a Blunderbuss. Not even one in a store.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone who has downloaded it, can you report if the stats fixed by the cheat engine have broken the game or not?

I would think not, as the patch should be resetting all characters to their intended stats regardless. Would suck if it did though.

edit: im in, everything looks fine.

Unrelated, I'm in Elmshore and just encounterd my first
Ogre Pack
and holy shit did I get destroyed lol.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna need to go over some pre/post patch comparisons and see who/what was buffed/nerfed there.

They're not retroactive unfortunately so you'll have to start a new file, but Eder gets -3int, +2 per +1 res (so he's a marginally better tank) and Aloth gets 4 perception moved into dex (so he's a better support mage but still pretty bad at actual damage). And yeah cheat engine + this patch hasn't broken anything.

Xiraiya

Anyone who has downloaded it, can you report if the stats fixed by the cheat engine have broken the game or not?

That depends, the patch should be able to fix how bonuses are applied (That's where the issue begins), but if you manually changed base stats, that's in your save file.
The patch would have to actively edit your save at that point, which is not what they do usually.

Irobot82

The copperlane weapons vendor has one, and there's a quest in Dyrford that rewards a unique one as well.

Ahh, In copperlane I think I just went to the fox and goose and some stuff in there and then left Defiance Bay to go acquire other companions.

THANKS!

Cloak of the Boar was brutally beaten by the nerfhammer. Instead of +5 Endurance, +10 Will, it's +5 End, +12 Will while below 33% endurance (aka useless).

Profound sadness... though the bonus was borked on all my characters before so I guess it's exactly the same thing: nothing.

I gotta say, I really don't dig nerfing items in patches in a single player game. Buff shit that sucks if you must, but nerfing just feels wrong.

Especially since it's not like I can just skip the patch, as it fixes some major bugs.

Xiraiya

I gotta say, I really don't dig nerfing items in patches in a single player game. Buff shit that sucks if you must, but nerfing just feels wrong.

Especially since it's not like I can just skip the patch, as it fixes some major bugs.
Well the point is to make it the most polished experience they intended it to be, which no one gets right out of the gate, there is a certain balance and difficulty that needs to be maintained.
If a weapon is overpowered, you're not going to change the entire bestiary of enemies to account for it, you fix the weapon.

It's all about the intended experience they strive for, not the unforeseen results.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, it's an RPG- different options should remained (relatively) balanced with each other and if they buffed everything they'd have to buff enemies as well, which would put people in exactly the same place but with bigger numbers all around.

What a wrong way to see it.

Buffing something is exactly the same as nerfing something. Both are just adjusting the balance to the ideal point.

I'm talking about this issue. The continue and load buttons are grayed out unless I exit, remove a save from my saved games folder and restart the game.

TMPP82s.jpg

Are you?

I haven't been playing for the past week so I never encountered this issue. I would post about it on Reddit or the official forums and see what they say.

Xiraiya

I've seen other people with the greyed out Load button and things like that, but I haven't experienced that at all, personally.

Top Bottom