• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I'm really sick of the community on the Obsidian forums, and not just because of the reaction to the limerick being removed, although that takes the cake. Just a tide of bitterness and anguish, including people complaining about nerfs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So, new bug? I just did a manual stronghold battle and all of my hired mercenaries are aggro instead of allies.

Bluth54

So, new bug? I just did a manual stronghold battle and all of my hired mercenaries are aggro instead of allies.

I think they attack you when they are unpaid, which I thought was supposed to be fixed in this patch, but mine went unpaid again as well.

I'm really sick of the community on the Obsidian forums, and not just because of the reaction to the limerick being removed, although that takes the cake. Just a tide of bitterness and anguish, including people complaining about nerfs.

I feel like MMOs did weird stuff to how "buffs" and "nerfs" are perceived, with people like that dude earlier (in this very thread) that all but said "why balance a single-player game?"

It's weird. Weird.

Almighty

In my experience official forums for any game tend to be terrible places. I assume it has to do with the developers being afraid to ban people and possibly get some bad word of mouth/lose sales. I don't know what it is about RPGs in general, but they seem to attract more then their fair share of of whiny babies who loudly(and rudely) complain about everything and anything.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone done the Triple Crown solo challenge yet?
Someone from Obsidian posted on reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteter..._the_damned_expert_mode_trial_of_iron/cpw52el) about it a bit before the patch. One could almost interpret their post as saying it's impossible, or they would be surprised if anyone can do it. That's the same overall thread that has the person with the level 9 barbarian, and someone like me who's experimenting with stealth options.

It's especially weird that they made the horn 10 times as expensive since I'm not aware of any legitimate completions yet even WITH the horn. There's an achievement-tracking website I mentioned that said like 4 people had the achievement, but I don't know if they're legitimate and I don't know if anyone at Obsidian actually proved it's possible to solo PotD.

Violet_0

Banned
so I probably finished the game with the most chaotic ending possible

my little experiment (act 3 spoiler)
betraying all (well, most of) the gods at the same time actually worked out and well, let's say Drywood was not a very pleasant place to hang out for a short while after

(ending spoilers)

I ended up siding with Wael because me and him are best pals and Grieving Mother was against bringing the souls back to their bodies and I also kind of wanted to mess with the system (the wheel), all in all it was probably for the best

witness what happens when you defy the will of the gods:
http://imgur.com/a/OvzCW
oh, and I helped the dragon too just because
I sided with the crucible knights and supported animancy and they put Defiance Bay under martial law and rule it with an iron fist now (literally, they built an army of robots following my suggestion)

companions ending spoilers of those I traveled with and have done personal quests for:
(these don't show up on mobile, right?)

my final companions ranking:
top tier - Durance, Grieving Mother and Hivarias
other tiers - the rest

all in all, Pillars of Eternity is the best RPG I have played in many years. Can't wait for the expansion and hopefully future sequels
they need to improve the reputation system and party banter, though (I think they only trigger in Defiance Bay and Dryford)

Is there a point to collecting these pets? Am I going to find someone saying "you know, I want nothing more than a baby wurm for a pet," only for me to respond with "then you're in luck!"

_Clash_

2/3/4 is how Path plays out, so maybe they lessened it for hard due to it? Pretty odd change.

They tell you it's going to piss off the other factions if you accept, though.

as a passing phrase, my wording was " THe dozens haven't heard of ya so we will use ya" or something like that.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I wish you could set the pets down and let it walk around with you like familiars in BGT.

I liked petting my pseudo-dragon. So darn cute.

I'd love having a piglet follow me around

define: grognard

Someone who loves a good glass of grog.

I wish you could set the pets down and let it walk around with you like familiars in BGT.

I liked petting my pseudo-dragon. So darn cute.

I'd love having a piglet follow me around

You can get a variety of pets, though only one can tag along at a time. There's eve a piglet pet; this is how you get it:
Go to Dyrwood Village and resolve the pig-farmer's quest for a Piglet pet and a kick-ass unique item.

"I wish you could set the pets down and let it walk around with you like familiars in BGT."

There is a pet slot on the main character's inventory that does exactly this. I spent a good portion of the game walking around with a pet Animat and the last half with the piglet.

I'm getting another patch right now, this one 570 MB.

I don't see patch notes anywhere, but it's probably this (from Obsidian):
Note: We currently have an issue with adventurer hall-created companions not being able to lockpick on old saves. We are looking to hotfix it, but if you feel this will affect you, you may want to wait on the hotfix.

Kvik

I had an issue pre-patch where one of Eder's ability (Into The Fray) was stuck in "Already Activated" mode even though the party has properly exited combat mode.

eternity.png

The issue persists post-patch.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

MartyStu

Man, the things people obsess about...

Also, I am staring to get annoyed by the newly-appropriated definition of censorship.

I had a weird glitch post-patch where when I went into the Stronghold management screen it would auto-scroll to the very bottom of the list. Even when I tried to scroll up again, it would auto-scroll right back down again. Leaving the screen and coming back in seems to help sometimes, but not every time.

Man, the things people obsess about...

Also, I am staring to get annoyed by the newly-appropriated definition of censorship.

Minsc and Boo would know what to do.

Also, I'll requote this before it's too late
Feargus even came out and said that it wouldn't have been in the game in the first place had the piece of backer content been vetted properly. And I don't see Obsidian coming to any substantive PR harm had they just ignored the whole issue, so it was their call to freely make and they made it. The backer's replacement is even self-aware and funny, an improvement over what was originally submitted. This thread isn't an ideological battleground. Let's move on.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
"I wish you could set the pets down and let it walk around with you like familiars in BGT."

There is a pet slot on the main character's inventory that does exactly this. I spent a good portion of the game walking around with a pet Animat and the last half with the piglet.

Someone who loves a good glass of grog.

You can get a variety of pets, though only one can tag along at a time. There's eve a piglet pet; this is how you get it:
Go to Dyrwood Village and resolve the pig-farmer's quest for a Piglet pet and a kick-ass unique item.

I didn't realize I had a pet slot. Sweet! I have a pig, an animat, and a lil' drake.

They can't die, right? <_<

Alright, Leaden Key! Fear the... pig of justice

You know, wandering around cities makes me wish there was a Super Speed above Fast Speed.

And also some indication that companions are talking, at least an auto-switch to the dialog tab or on-screen indicator or something...

I didn't realize I had a pet slot. Sweet! I have a pig, an animat, and a lil' drake.

They can't die, right? <_<

Alright, Leaden Key! Fear the... pig of justice
Yeah, the slot is only on the main character. And the pet is untargetable, so it should be fine no matter how badly your party is slaughtered.

Varna

I had a weird glitch post-patch where when I went into the Stronghold management screen it would auto-scroll to the very bottom of the list. Even when I tried to scroll up again, it would auto-scroll right back down again. Leaving the screen and coming back in seems to help sometimes, but not every time.

I actually had this happen pre-patch but on the character sheet.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Okay.

Anyone else really annoyed by the backstab implementation?

I know that the traditional approach would not have worked, but I still dislike the watered-down version we get.

Not really? I'm not sure what you mean by watered-down here. What don't you like about it?

Man, if Eder hadn't taken the ruffian weapon specialization, right now he could be wielding Forgiveness the pistol and Unforgiven the flail. Man.

Ketch

I had an issue pre-patch where one of Eder's ability (Into The Fray) was stuck in "Already Activated" mode even though the party has properly exited combat mode.

eternity.png

The issue persists post-patch.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

try swapping him out and back into the party

Almighty

Man Obsidian your save folder is a fucking mess. Also is anyone else having a problem with the game not syncing deleted saves properly? Edit: Nevermind it seems the problem sorted itself out.

ZZMitch

Hey guys this is probably an obvious question but I can't find it. Where can I see how many spells can be casted by a wizard before I need to rest?

Thanks

elithrar

I wish I could buy another key at backer pricing—I'd buy a Steam key to replace my GOG key.

The patch delay is a killer. I could restart (my save game black screens on area loads, permanently) but am worried that I'll still run into the bug.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Since the patch ive noticed a little effect on the loot menu. After you loot one body, when you go to loot the next corpse you see an animated effect of where the previous loot went to. Very nice.

Hey guys this is probably an obvious question but I can't find it. Where can I see how many spells can be casted by a wizard before I need to rest?

Thanks

Click on your wizard and the hotbar will have a little number under each level of spell indicating how many you have left of each level until you need to rest. At level 9 first level spells will change to per encounter meaning you can spam magic missle, oil slick etc...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I just beat the final boss and finished the game.

I decided to leave Cad Nua unfinished and Durance's sidequest unresolved as incentive for my next eventual playthrough. The final battle was.....

really annoying. On hard difficulty Thaos was hitting my party for 100+ damage with his bullshit flame pillars. I had to lower the difficulty down to normal for that to even be a fair encounter *shrug. I chose to return the souls back to the bodies that they originally belonged to. I wanted to free Iovara's soul but the only option was to destroy it from existence as defience to the gods or something, I didn't want to do that.

My companions had some pretty bittersweet endings. Eder seemed to find new purpose in his life which was good. Durance set himself on fire for Magran because I didn't finish his quest line I suppose. The ranger got lost in a blizzard and we don't know if she's dead or alive. Grieving mother went back to her original (now desolate) village. The credits didn't mention anything about the druid or maybe I just missed it.

All in all, I clocked in at around 54 hours doing 95% of everything you could do. This game was absolutely fantastic in my opinion. The combat difficulty didn't scale well past the early levels but perhaps the newer patches can fix that. The story was enjoyable but felt...small. I don't have a better word to describe it but I feel like there was room for a lot more quests and story events that just didn't happen.

Regardless of my minor gripes and complaints I feel this is one of the best RPGs I have personally ever played. I would highly recommend it to any fan of role playing games.

Violet_0

Banned
So I just beat the final boss and finished the game.

I decided to leave Cad Nua unfinished and Durance's sidequest unresolved as incentive for my next eventual playthrough. The final battle was.....

really annoying. On hard difficulty Thaos was hitting my party for 100+ damage with his bullshit flame pillars. I had to lower the difficulty down to normal for that to even be a fair encounter *shrug. I chose to return the souls back to the bodies that they originally belonged to. I wanted to free Iovara's soul but the only option was to destroy it from existence as defience to the gods or something, I didn't want to do that.
regarding the final boss
you need to split the party up to avoid the aoe damage. My barbarian attacked Thaos, everyone else went after one statue and I tanked the other statue with summoned beetles (item) and greater blights from Hivarias. The statues are not doing much damage as far as I could tell, Pallegina hardly lost any health while tanking a statue and she wasn't using a shield. When one statue goes down - and they don't have that much health - go after the other one, then kill Thaos. Thaos actually stopped casting for a while and became invulnerable when he was 'injured'. It's a surprisingly easy fight that way

My companions had some pretty bittersweet endings. Eder seemed to find new purpose in his life which was good. Durance set himself on fire for Magran because I didn't finish his quest line I suppose. The ranger got lost in a blizzard and we don't know if she's dead or alive. Grieving mother went back to her original (now desolate) village. The credits didn't mention anything about the druid or maybe I just missed it.

all my companions had different endings than yours. I think you can influence the outcome of all the companion quests, there isn't really an obvious good or bad ending for them it seems

I just reached Defiance Bay and started Act 2 and that place is huge, I still haven't explored all the city and I already have a tom of quests to do.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
regarding the final boss
you need to split the party up to avoid the aoe damage. My barbarian attacked Thaos, everyone else went after one statue and I tanked the other statue with summoned beetles (item) and greater blights from Hivarias. The statues are not doing much damage as far as I could tell, Pallegina hardly lost any health while tanking a statue and she wasn't using a shield. When one statue goes down - and they don't have that much health - go after the other one, then kill Thaos. Thaos actually stopped casting for a while and became invulnerable when he was 'injured'. It's a surprisingly easy fight that way

regarding Thaos,
I had like five different ways to manipulate his soul to chose from

all my companions had different endings than yours. I think you can influence the outcome of all the companion quests, there isn't really a good or bad ending it seems

Yea I realized how I needed to handle the split but the problem was coming from Thaos pillar of flames having ridiculous range and him healing the status for 40% of their health when I would focus them.

I didn't mean Thaos's soul I had the same options but for Iovara she was still trapped in the soul prison and that was the only way to free her.

I'm pretty sure companions can be influenced via their quests and yea I agree there really isn't a good or bad option.

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't mean Thaos's soul I had the same options but for Iovara she was still trapped in the soul prison and that was the only way to free her.

misread that, my bad. I could convince Iovara to help me defeat Thaos by joining forces if she repents, erase her from existence (which I did) and I think there was another option

I'm pretty sure companions can be influenced via their quests and yea I agree there really isn't a good or bad option.

and there appear to be at least three different endings for each character as well, it seems (not doing their quest being one of them, which doesn't automatically lead to a bad ending either)

Top Bottom