• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

KePoW

Banned
eternity.png

is the portait of the purple-haired girl an official one, or modded portrait?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Act 3 question:

I've seen people mention
fighting Raedric a second time
, but I'm ready to head to
Burial Isle
and haven't seen anything about that yet. What's the deal?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thought I had Baldur's Gate 2:EE on steam but it's just the first one. Supreme sadness.

Act 3 question:

I've seen people mention
fighting Raedric a second time
, but I'm ready to head to
Burial Isle
and haven't seen anything about that yet. What's the deal?

Go to the inn in
Hearthsong and talk to the frightened villager

Blizzard

Banned
Ouch, to add insult to injury (6000 gold horn) the Disappointer only gives 150 gold compared to like 800 before. Gold is going to be EXTREMELY difficult on solo now.

I also confirmed expert path of the damned still has 2/3/4 bandits at the tutorial camp.

*edit* Horn is "only"
5000 gold after discount.

Volodja

Ouch, to add insult to injury (6000 gold horn) the Disappointer only gives 150 gold compared to like 800 before. Gold is going to be EXTREMELY difficult on solo now.

I also confirmed expert path of the damned still has 2/3/4 bandits at the tutorial camp.
Oh my, that's rough.

Volodja

I suspect, but have not tested, that they may have also fixed
being able to enchant it and remove the "Terrible" modifier

Can anyone check that who still has the Disappointer around?
I didn't do that anyway, I just sold it to get the Horn.

Eh, I'll just have to scale my encoutners more now, I'm gonna use a Summoner Chanter anyway so the Summon existed only as a filler before I got my Spectre out.

So, I'm kinda midway through...

Does the character background you picked at the beginning affect the plot at any point? Besides the opening conversation with whatsherface and one other side comment, I haven't seen much of it.

Maybe I didn't do the right quests or something.

Anybody finding the "skills" on level up a bit meh for the NPCs?

I'm playing a rogue, so don't need any of my party especially stealthy.
Athletics: go longer without resting... eh so what, I'll just rest.
Lore: use scrolls: haven't needed to so far...
Mechanics: well as long as one char has good mechanics the others can sit at 0
Survival: not really using food buffs either

Playing on normal.

So yeah I'm kind of sat here looking at unspent points and thinking "why bother?". What am I missing, PoEGAF?

At higher difficulties they become more useful. The number of camping supplies you can carry is lower, so having to spend one for fatigue is more costly. I may be mistaken, but I think Survival also works on potion duration, and having an extra casting or two of high level spells in the form of scrolls also means less resting required. But yeah, compared to Stealth and Mechanics, the others are less useful/situational depending on your play style.

Okay.

Anyone else really annoyed by the backstab implementation?

I know that the traditional approach would not have worked, but I still dislike the watered-down version we get.

It sort of reminds me a little of 3E Dungeons and Dragons. Flank an enemy or otherwise get out of their sight, get to deal more damage.

"Does the character background you picked at the beginning affect the plot at any point? Besides the opening conversation with whatsherface and one other side comment, I haven't seen much of it."

They change some character dialogue towards you and give you some occasional extra dialogue options.

I need some tips for the combat. I'm trying to explore the area underneath to rescue/find the remains of the priests in the very first city you come across. Have three party members and the mage absolutely gets wrecked by the ghosts/phantoms because they just teleport to him and, wack wack, he's gone.

Volodja

I need some tips for the combat. I'm trying to explore the area underneath to rescue/find the remains of the priests in the very first city you come across. Have three party members and the mage absolutely gets wrecked by the ghosts/phantoms because they just teleport to him and, wack wack, he's gone.
That area can be hard, if you find yourself dying too much, you can just leave it for later.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't do that anyway, I just sold it to get the Horn.

Eh, I'll just have to scale my encoutners more now, I'm gonna use a Summoner Chanter anyway so the Summon existed only as a filler before I got my Spectre out.
The problem with this for solo expert potd is that (big tactical spoilers):

You would have to survive long enough for the summon to become available, and common early enemies have permanent stunlock (xuarip skirmishers, phantoms, etc.) which means you won't even be able to summon it unless you get lucky with ultra tanky stats AND lucky saves.

Also, perhaps even more importantly, I don't know if combat ends when your summoned phantom dies and you're out of range. That was key to cheesing a lot of the encounters and stealthing through Caed Nua. I haven't managed it but apparently you could use the horn summon, run away and close a door, and then continue on your way once the animat died and combat ended.

I'm not yet sure if the patched solo XP gain is significant. I'd have to try to do all the quests I did before, but I'm almost certain that's impossible without the horn this time as a rogue.

Violet_0

Banned

completely normal and you can't really do much about it - there's a helpful lvl 1 priest spell that removes a character from combat and heals them
ghosts just don't like Aloth (not many do)

Artanisix

Running solo hard right now.

Barbarian is an extremely good solo class so far, I am coasting through Act 2. Getting through levels 3 and 4 is the hardest part.

pahamrick

I just restarted on hard and as you are heading back to camp there was only one enemy and during the scene there was only 2 enemies instead of 4. Double checked that I am on hard/expert .

2/3/4 is how Path plays out, so maybe they lessened it for hard due to it? Pretty odd change.

I just restarted my Hard/Expert run and I got the 2/3/4 so if it was changed, they changed it back during the hotfix patch.

Figured since the first time before I restarted I tried a Paladin, then moved onto a Wizard which I really liked but then my saves went kaput I'd start this time as a ranged rogue build, since I really liked the rogue adventurer I built with my wizard.

Thank you Obsidian for the patch, happy to be playing again.

Volodja

The problem with this for solo expert potd is that (big tactical spoilers):

You would have to survive long enough for the summon to become available, and common early enemies have permanent stunlock (xuarip skirmishers, phantoms, etc.) which means you won't even be able to summon it unless you get lucky with ultra tanky stats AND lucky saves.

Also, perhaps even more importantly, I don't know if combat ends when your summoned phantom dies and you're out of range. That was key to cheesing a lot of the encounters and stealthing through Caed Nua. I haven't managed it but apparently you could use the horn summon, run away and close a door, and then continue on your way once the animat died and combat ended.
I don't expect it to be that good for long, but at the start it's a solid class that gets me some experience with the difficulty level and the monster layouts. I mean my Deflection is really high at the beginning and so are all my defences. Concentration too.
I can actually get to my spectre really easily even against a group of 3 Xaurips.
Enemy Spectres? I wouldn't even get close to that dungeon, I have no intention of trying that area until way later.
Also my stat distribution makes for some pretty easy quest resolutions via dialogue.
Seems way more viable than Rogue, that's for sure. I've walked that path and it wasn't a pretty one.

Vamphuntr

You get so strong eventually. I just got to act 3 and I'm already level 11 and pretty much steamrolling everything. Slumber is the new slicken. Not really a fan of level 6 wizard spells so far, the range of the best ones seem to be around the caster which is rather inconvenient.

It really feels like they already have abilities in mind for the expansion. I can already read level 7 scrolls >.>

senahorse

My stronghold upgrades keep disappearing, has happened multiple times now. I will upgrade part of it, come back later and it has reset and asks me to purchase again. For exam I had upgraded both walls, towers, barracks and now they are all saying "purchase", I have to go back to a save an hour ago to restore them. Is this a bug or is it something I am doing?

edit: it's all me, protip, don't auto resolve battles :(

Sou Da

You should be a QA tester. I feel like you run into every issue out there.

Happened once in Brighthollow and I thought nothing of it because the map transition is close enough to the door to teleport out.

Happened again when I was talking to the Hadret House woman, had to load an autosave

Vamphuntr

My stronghold upgrades keep disappearing, has happened multiple times now. I will upgrade part of it, come back later and it has reset and asks me to purchase again. For exam I had upgraded both walls, towers, barracks and now they are all saying "purchase", I have to go back to a save an hour ago to restore them. Is this a bug or is it something I am doing?

Your stronghold can get attacked from the creatures inside Od Nua and if you do nothing they destroy buildings.

Blizzard

Banned
Running solo hard right now.

Barbarian is an extremely good solo class so far, I am coasting through Act 2. Getting through levels 3 and 4 is the hardest part.
That's exactly what I heard for solo potd expert -- that there's one or two possible barbarian builds, and also that level 3-4 is the hardest and most boring. I'll probably try that again next if I fail again with a rogue.

I just restarted my Hard/Expert run and I got the 2/3/4 so if it was changed, they changed it back during the hotfix patch.
That might be, but this is a longshot -- did you double check you were on hard/expert when you saw it the first time? I was streaming for a friend after the hotfix patch, and they claimed they saw me select expert potd as the difficulty...yet I only got 2/2/2 bandits. After a while I found it was on easy difficulty even though we both thought I picked potd. I started a new game and it was fine.

I don't expect it to be that good for long, but at the start it's a solid class that gets me some experience with the difficulty level and the monster layouts. I mean my Deflection is really high at the beginning and so are all my defences. Concentration too.
I can actually get to my spectre really easily even against a group of 3 Xaurips.
Enemy Spectres? I wouldn't even get close to that dungeon, I have no intention of trying that area until way later.
Also my stat distribution makes for some pretty easy quest resolutions via dialogue.
Seems way more viable than Rogue, that's for sure. I've walked that path and it wasn't a pretty one.
If you find a way to get to either level 4 or past Caed Nua, please let me know since those are my problems. Caed Nua has mandatory
phantom/shadow fight(s), and/or cheesing with a figurine, and a mandatory boss fight at the end that you MIGHT be able to get RNG luck on to get some enemies to help kill the boss

pahamrick

That might be, but this is a longshot -- did you double check you were on hard/expert when you saw it the first time? I was streaming for a friend after the hotfix patch, and they claimed they saw me select expert potd as the difficulty...yet I only got 2/2/2 bandits. After a while I found it was on easy difficulty even though we both thought I picked potd. I started a new game and it was fine.

Yeah, soon as I saw I had two for the ambush, and then the three immediately afterwards I double checked I was actually on Hard/Expert and not POTD/Expert.

Don't know if this was ever the case pre-patch as I never checked, but I just noticed you can actually select the third weapon slot for unarmed if you have weapons in the first two slots even if you don't actually have access to the third weapon slot. Guess that would be useful for RP to run around with no weapons showing.

-EDIT-

An interesting variation on one of the outcomes for the very beginning.
So, I was trying to keep from camping to keep Calisca from bolting with the water so I'd have a fighter for the upcoming fights, but one of the enemies after you knock down the wall decided to ignore her and did a little too much damage to me. So, I camped and sure enough she bolted.

However, I had already disabled some of the traps on the floor for the extra experience. Not all of them, but all the ones I'm able to do with 2 mechanics. Head back to the trapped floor, and she's not there. End up finishing the rest of the dungeon with just Heodan and head outside to trigger the scene. Sure enough, for the entirety of the scene you can see Calisca's body laying there on the ground near the guys who are about to be turned to ash.

Blizzard

Banned
[tutorial area]

However, I had already disabled some of the traps on the floor for the extra experience. Not all of them, but all the ones I'm able to do with 2 mechanics. Head back to the trapped floor, and she's not there. End up finishing the rest of the dungeon with just Heodan and head outside to trigger the scene. Sure enough, for the entirety of the scene you can see Calisca's body laying there on the ground near the guys who are about to be turned to ash.
Yeah, I got that as well. Fortunately I think you can still loot the corpse.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have no idea how someone would beat the last boss as solo anything on POTD. Unless I see someone record it and upload it to youtube, I'm not believing anyone claiming they did it without a trainer.

pahamrick

Yeah, I got that as well. Fortunately I think you can still loot the corpse.

I was kind of hoping
that she would survive and you'd find her at her sister's house, and then have the option of killing her for deserting with the goods.
Can't win them all

Kvik

try swapping him out and back into the party

Ok, will try next time I go back to Caed Nua

is the portait of the purple-haired girl an official one, or modded portrait?

I got it from one of the gallery posted in the early pages of this thread

I would have really liked it if we were able to set up party scripts.

Like Sword Coast Stratagems? ;-) Well probably will have wait for mods.

Xiraiya

Yeah, soon as I saw I had two for the ambush, and then the three immediately afterwards I double checked I was actually on Hard/Expert and not POTD/Expert.

Don't know if this was ever the case pre-patch as I never checked, but I just noticed you can actually select the third weapon slot for unarmed if you have weapons in the first two slots even if you don't actually have access to the third weapon slot. Guess that would be useful for RP to run around with no weapons showing.

-EDIT-

An interesting variation on one of the outcomes for the very beginning.
So, I was trying to keep from camping to keep Calisca from bolting with the water so I'd have a fighter for the upcoming fights, but one of the enemies after you knock down the wall decided to ignore her and did a little too much damage to me. So, I camped and sure enough she bolted.

Yeah I did some experimenting with the beginning.

I've tried every order of things I can think of, I don't think there's any way for her to be saved.

Is it nortmal that Black Ooze spit attacks have no effect on my party? It doesn't seem to ever do damage or anything

Checking the rolls would be the easiest way to tell. Mouse over their attacks in the combat log to see the specifics. Grazes should do half damage, while misses or whatever will do nothing.

Edit: Actually, thinking back I can't recall them being very effective either. If I encounter them again I'll have to check it myself.

Any advice on stat/attribute distribution for a fighter?
I keep reading that the CON is the worst stat.

So I currently made this build:

MIG 19
CON 10
DEX 10
PER 14
INT 9
RES 16

Ozium

records guy still won't talk to Eder... my reputation with defiance bay is like "ally" or something...

I just wanna get out of this damned city lol

Miletius

M°°nblade;158793913 said:

MIG 19
CON 10
DEX 10
PER 14
INT 9
RES 16

That looks fine. Depending on your weapon you might consider more dex for faster attacks, but if you want to be tanky but still hit hard then I think you look good.

Violet_0

Banned
M°°nblade;158793913 said:

MIG 19
CON 10
DEX 10
PER 14
INT 9
RES 16

do you want a tank or damage dealer or something else? If you go for pure tank with shield, you can drop anything that improves dps because you never ever going to hurt anyone

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Checking the rolls would be the easiest way to tell. Mouse over their attacks in the combat log to see the specifics. Grazes should do half damage, while misses or whatever will do nothing.

Edit: Actually, thinking back I can't recall them being very effective either. If I encounter them again I'll have to check it myself.

This might be an issue. From memory i dont think the spit is something that is like a normal ranged attack.. it can be dodged or run away from. When it hits empty space it makes an animation that covers the ground. Maybe its something you have to stand in?

Blizzard

Banned
I was kind of hoping
that she would survive and you'd find her at her sister's house, and then have the option of killing her for deserting with the goods.
Can't win them all
I think
being happy that she can live and be with her sister, and not have her soul ripped out, might be more appropriate than killing her over some water

Also my first post-patch expert solo POTD run seems to have come to an abrupt end unless there's another route I'm forgetting.

Has anyone found a closed door that you simply can't open? I'm seeing this, and moving the mouse cursor over it, leaving the area and reentering etc. does nothing.
http://abload.de/img/doorigzch.png

I need this door open because:
I want the dungeon area for gold and XP, and possibly to find the priest's friend so I can turn the castle neutral and loot more gold. Since I presumably can't get the figurine post-patch, I can't go the sewer route

Top Bottom