• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

PrimeRib_

Download it, and add Pillars executable to the whitelist, following the naming scheme represented by dozens of games already included within.

From there, you don't have to tinker with much, just boot up the game and select the higher resolution you want to get that downsample goodness.This game really pops with it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So... are there ways to raise your rep in Defiance Bay after Act II?

Don't recall making any dick moves, but I'm only an ally.
Am I shut out of Eder's sidequest for this playthrough?

Durante

Download it, and add Pillars executable to the whitelist, following the naming scheme represented by dozens of games already included within.

From there, you don't have to tinker with much, just boot up the game and select the higher resolution you want to get that downsample goodness.This game really pops with it.
Actually, this is sadly not true for Pillars of Eternity since it's a Unity game and requires some special treatment at least until I get to including a profile with it.

Specifically, you need to create a new profile (in GeDoSaTo "Edit Settings" -> "+" -> name it "PillarsOfEternity") and put this inside (adjusting for your resolution, should ideally be 4x your native res for this game) :
Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

oneils

If you want the very cool looking almanac you can go with the Champion edition. Or you could do Hero and just buy the actual book online (its very nice btw). Iirc on Steam you can always upgrade to a different edition later so you can start with Hero and if you love what you see upgrade to get the goodies and help Obsidian out. If you arent a fan of Pillars than you just saved yourself some money.

edit:
i should stress that if you like gaming books at all get the physical Guidebook. Its titled Volume One so there will probably be more to accompany it when more games in the universe come out.

http://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Eternity-Guidebook-Volume-One/dp/1616558091

Thanks for the tips. Just bought the standard edition (hero). My lord, that character creation screen....droool. So pretty.

duckroll

The bonus reading material is definitely worth it. Both the Almanac and the Guidebook cover different things, with the Almanac being more localized with regards to info about the immediate setting of the game, and being written in-character, while the Guidebook is a much more informative lore book about the world and history. Lots of great stuff. Obsidian knocked this one out of the park. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still games set in this world in 10 years time.

KingV

No. Start on hard, that's the difficulty it's primarily designed for.

As long as you don't choose Path of the Damned, you can change the difficulty at any time if it gets too challenging. So there's no reason to go for easy from the beginning.

This game is pretty challenging, even on easy. I've died many times when starting on easy. I'm thinking of bumping it to normal now that I an getting a handle on the combat.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well today I discovered that I took the Two-Handed Style talent instead of the Two Weapon Style talent for my melee rogue. I think I still salvage it by switching to a ranged rogue but I wonder how that will work with Backstab. Oh well.

Also
CKuhnk6.png

Am I correct in assuming that this is a bug or is there some sort of mechanical reason that this is happening?
It's a bug. But the gist of it is that suppressed bonuses don't stack so if you have a +3 accuracy ring and you get a +4 accuracy helm, you'll only get a +4 bonus and the +3 is suppressed.

Durante

I'm still in Act 2, so I don't know which quests (if any) you get locked out of in Act 3, but one which gives a massive reputation boost in my experience is helping
the priestess of Magran (Fyrga) regain her Faith and relight the fires.

Kneecap

Just an FYI. I started a new game post patch and hotfix. Gave a cloak of Protection Eder to wear. Now, when i load any of the savegames after that point, the cloak is gone from Eder and not in the stash either.

I know its a great game, but at what point does stuff like this compromise the quality of the game? I love Obsidian's stuff, but their seeming inability to meet an acceptable level of quality control is quite a debuff to their reputation. Heh.

Ayumi

Gosh, I need to try this game. In reality it's not compatible with my schedule but it looks so great. Not like I need sleep anyway.

szaromir

Banned
I know its a great game, but at what point does stuff like this compromise the quality of the game? I love Obsidian's stuff, but their seeming inability to meet an acceptable level of quality control is quite a debuff to their reputation. Heh.
I'm in Act 3 and I gotta say it's been one of the smoothest RPG experiences for me, particularly considering I've playing it since day 1. The game crashed on me once, reset the progress of the stronghold renovations (it lost me about 5 minutes of playtime) and once the animal companion of my ranger simply vanished, but quitting the game and launching it again solved the problem. All trivial stuff compared to how bug-ridden Black Isle/Troika/Bethesda/CD-Projekt/Obsidian/Piranha Bytes games have historically been on release.

I also expect Obsidian to clean up all bugs and glitches themselves within relatively quick time window and not being forced to wait years for community patches,

Syraxith

IIRC I remember reading that BG I & II suffered similar sized issues when they were first released.

Does the passage of time (from resting, travel, etc) affect anything other than stronghold events? I'm very early in the game now and want to know how much hemming and hawing I should be doing over time management.

Ludovico

How many of you are playing without the metagame notifiers in the dialogue options?
About seven hours in, and thinking about turning them off for the rest of my first playthrough.

Kinthalis

Banned
I just hope the initial sales have been satisfactory for Obsidian.

Me too, though going purely by the Steam Spy website (although keeping in mind there are non Steam versions out there), the game deserves a lot more!

Divinity is a great game, Shadowrun returns psyched me up about these types of games coming back, but PIllars of Eternity is just a better all around game.

I think Sony's jaugernaut marketing for Blood Borne, and the mainstream press pretty much ignoring PoE for it, have hurt it.

I'm hoping things start to turn around for it soon. A summer Steam sale with say 20% off will likely mena a large push on sales too, I hope.

Durante

I'm in Act 3 and I gotta say it's been one of the smoothest RPG experiences for me, particularly considering I've playing it since day 1. The game crashed on me once, reset the progress of the stronghold renovations (it lost me about 5 minutes of playtime) and once the animal companion of my ranger simply vanished, but quitting the game and launching it again solved the problem. All trivial stuff compared to how bug-ridden Black Isle/Troika/Bethesda/CD-Projekt/Obsidian/Piranha Bytes games have historically been on release.

I also expect Obsidian to clean up all bugs and glitches themselves within relatively quick time window and not being forced to wait years for community patches,
Yeah, same here. Among all the comparably large and complex RPGs I can think of that I've ever played (which is a lot of them. No seriously a lot) this is one of the least buggy day 1.

And on top of that everything urgent got patched exceedingly quickly and retroactively.

Should I feel like a bad roleplayer because I named my (currently 2) chants as "Go Go Power Rangers" and "You Are The Best Around".

"...started chanting Go Go Power Rangers" cracks me up every time

Xiraiya

Should I feel like a bad roleplayer because I named my (currently 2) chants as "Go Go Power Rangers" and "You Are The Best Around".
Your avatar is very apt for your post.

The RPG fan in me wants to say yes, but Power Rangers are Power Rangers, I can't really say anything against that.

Nordicus

So does that buff your Fortitude or help with ailments?

Because no one's gonna ever keep your party down

Varna

How many of you are playing without the metagame notifiers in the dialogue options?
About seven hours in, and thinking about turning them off for the rest of my first playthrough.

Me.

Since stat/skill related dialogue options don't necessarily mean better outcome/reward anymore not knowing really doesn't hurt anything... plus, it's really easy to tell when options are influenced by something.

Has anyone completed Sagani's mission?

Where the f is Persoq anyway? I went to the arch, and I am now supposed to find him in a clearing surrounded by black trees and with lots of Glanfathans, but I can't figure out where it is. Is it a place that opens after the Burial Isle?

Don't feel bad, that made me laugh too.
There's a great
rogue-ish stuff merchant
in that house. I hope you bought stuff from her before doing that.
I don't use that class, so I'll be fine.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone completed Sagani's mission?

Where the f is Persoq anyway? I went to the arch, and I am now supposed to find him in a clearing surrounded by black trees and with lots of Glanfathans, but I can't figure out where it is. Is it a place that opens after the Burial Isle?

It's in
Northweald
. If you can go anywhere in Twin Elms, you'll see the entrance.

Ketch

Made it to Act 3, I'm lvl 9 and the game has gotten a little more challenging again.

Question about Eders side quest, full act 2 spoilers:
I did all the side quest I could find in Defiance Bay but it says I'm still bad reputation with them, so i was never able to get the records. Now the city's burned down am I screwed or what? I simple yes/no will suffice... maybe a hint or two on how to raise my rep or just a "don't worry too much about the rep". I spent a lot of time trying to raise it up, and now it seems like it was wasted =(

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to Act 3, I'm lvl 9 and the game has gotten a little more challenging again.

Question about Eders side quest, full act 2 spoilers:
I did all the side quest I could find in Defiance Bay but it says I'm still bad reputation with them, so i was never able to get the records. Now the city's burned down am I screwed or what? I simple yes/no will suffice... maybe a hint or two on how to raise my rep or just a "don't worry too much about the rep". I spent a lot of time trying to raise it up, and now it seems like it was wasted =(

Some stronghold events give Defiance Bay rep but they're pretty rare. There's some Act III quests that give rep to it as well, but it seems like they're not supposed to and they're glitched, so I dunno.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Me too, though going purely by the Steam Spy website (although keeping in mind there are non Steam versions out there), the game deserves a lot more!

Divinity is a great game, Shadowrun returns psyched me up about these types of games coming back, but PIllars of Eternity is just a better all around game.

I think Sony's jaugernaut marketing for Blood Borne, and the mainstream press pretty much ignoring PoE for it, have hurt it.

I'm hoping things start to turn around for it soon. A summer Steam sale with say 20% off will likely mena a large push on sales too, I hope.

The sales numbers for Pillars from the Steam Spy site seem very good to me. Lets look at the numbers at the lowest end. 226k +/- 25k. So thats 200k in one week. We have to take into account that a number of those 200k are backer codes. Since being a backer is an achievement we can see that 18% of that 200k are non-sales on Steam. Lets make it an even 20% because ive heard one person mention their backer achievement didnt unlock. So we have a first week sales of 160k as the lowest possible number on Steam alone.

If we assume the lowest possible number then we have all those 160k buying the cheapest version of the game. 160,000 x $45 = $7,200,000. Take out Valves 30% cut.. and lets just assume that the Josh Sawyer curse is real and that Paradox has robbed Obsidian in their deal and is also taking a 30% cut.. that leaves Obsidian with a first week sales numbers of $2,880,000.

Remember this is assuming the worst possible scenario, not taking into account other sales avenues, and completely ignoring the fact that the game was fully funded before release. im sure Obsidian is completely ecstatic with the games performance.

Burt

M°°nblade;158793913 said:
Any advice on stat/attribute distribution for a fighter?
I keep reading that the CON is the worst stat.

So I currently made this build:

MIG 19
CON 10
DEX 10
PER 14
INT 9
RES 16

Why is con the worst stat? And yeah, as someone said, if you're making him a tank, drop MIG to 10, consider upping dex for quicker actions when you need them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Why is con the worst stat? And yeah, as someone said, if you're making him a tank, drop MIG to 10, consider upping dex for quicker actions when you need them.

i think the mentality is that its better to not get hit than to be able to soak more hits.

Rad-

The bonus endurance from CON isn't that huge. I'd say it's only a must have stat for monks.

Brojito

Neo Member
Just an FYI. I started a new game post patch and hotfix. Gave a cloak of Protection Eder to wear. Now, when i load any of the savegames after that point, the cloak is gone from Eder and not in the stash either.

What is an "acceptable level of quality control"? These bugs happen all the time in every game of this scale.

I know Obsidian has an unfortunate history, but it's ridiculous to me that they can't seem to shed this stereotype of being a buggy developer when multiple AAA games have been released in the last two years that were nearly unplayable on release.

I played for 30 hours before the patch and never encountered any issues, other than an occasional non-gameplay-affecting hiccup here and there. I know other people had more serious problems, but there's always going to be little unexpected glitches for a game of this complexity. The fact that they have already fixed 99% of the problems people were facing in less than a week means that we shouldn't even be having this conversation.

I just don't understand why other developers don't seem to face the same repercussions for releasing buggy games while Obsidian could release a new game with ONE non-critical bug and we'd be seeing 10 articles written about it and people circlejerking everywhere about how Obsidian can't make working games.

rakhir

Don't recall making any dick moves, but I'm only an ally.
Am I shut out of Eder's sidequest for this playthrough?
No, the stronghold has a lot oF rep quests forum you to complete. Some of twin elms quests give defiance rep.

Zeliard

What is an "acceptable level of quality control"? These bugs happen all the time in every game of this scale.

I know Obsidian has an unfortunate history, but it's ridiculous to me that they can't seem to shed this stereotype of being a buggy developer when multiple AAA games have been released in the last two years that were nearly unplayable on release.

I played for 30 hours before the patch and never encountered any issues, other than an occasional non-gameplay-affecting hiccup here and there. I know other people had more serious problems, but there's always going to be little unexpected glitches for a game of this complexity. The fact that they have already fixed 99% of the problems people were facing in less than a week means that we shouldn't even be having this conversation.

I just don't understand why other developers don't seem to face the same repercussions for releasing buggy games while Obsidian could release a new game with ONE non-critical bug and we'd be seeing 10 articles written about it and people circlejerking everywhere about how Obsidian can't make working games.

It's obnoxious meme-spewing. Bethesda releases game-breaking bug-ridden garbage every time they release a game and they've somehow escaped this reputation. Go figure.

Conezays

To be fair, the
Animancy Invitation Quest
at the end of Act 2 is bugged for many people, including myself. I couldn't progress further in the maingame without choosing a vastly different way of playing, ruining many quests and reputation with people. It's not the end of the world, but I think a broken main questline still goes beyond "hiccups." Still think it's a great game overall.

It's obnoxious meme-spewing. Bethesda releases game-breaking bug-ridden garbage every time they release a game and they've somehow escaped this reputation. Go figure.

Not to mention lazy reporting. It happens about the same on average to nearly every game, but because Obsidian was painted with this brush it's ALWAYS going to come up unfairly.

Varna

This isn't exact true... on the PC side at least. I don't even know anyone who will play Bethesda games without a ton of mods to fix all the problems.

Nordicus

Aah, I still remember Fallout 3. Even after a GOTY edition was released, I needed to turn off collision detection on 2 separate vital parts because quest scripting screwed up and their plot doors wouldn't open.

Once in Little Lamplight, I spent an hour looking for a way to continue the main quest in there before realizing something was broken. Charming place, I think you'll all remember

Second time was in Mothership Zeta, I would have been stuck inside that spaceship with no way out of the expansion had I not used the console command.

Xiraiya

I have no idea how, as much as I adore Elder scrolls (Or what it use to be anyway) it blows my goddamn mind that there are bugs in Skyrim to this day that Morrowind had, because their engine is just such a mess.

Pillars on the otherhand came out more polished than I expected it to be, I mean yeah we had some major bugs that ruined it for some players, but I save so much and make new save files all the time in fresh new areas that even if I had encountered companion stat glitches or passive removal glitch, I would lose maybe like 20 minutes, an hour in the most extreme cases.

Top Bottom