• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Brojito

Neo Member
Aah, I still remember Fallout 3. Even after a GOTY edition was released, I needed to turn off collision detection on 2 separate vital parts because quest scripting screwed up and their plot doors wouldn't open.

Once in Little Lamplight, I spent an hour looking for a way to continue the main quest in there before realizing something was broken. Charming place, I think you'll all remember

Second time was in Mothership Zeta, I would have been stuck inside that spaceship with no way out of the expansion had I not used the console command.

Exactly. Even just comparing Obsidian's releases to Bethesda's, I'm not sure why Bethesda hasn't earned the same reputation. Skyrim on PS3 anyone? Or just Skyrim in general, I mean I love that game, but not for it's stability and polish.

Hell, that's just comparing Obsidian's games to other similar RPGs. Driveclub? Halo MCC? Broken for MONTHS.

It's a big circlejerk of lazy gaming "journalists" who would rather post clickbait and gamers with selective memory who would rather make meme jokes about Obsidian than objectively consider the quality of their releases.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I have no idea how, as much as I adore Elder scrolls (Or what it use to be anyway) it blows my goddamn mind that there are bugs in Skyrim to this day that Morrowind had, because their engine is just such a mess.
My favorite is when Obsidian was blamed for bugs in New Vegas that were present in Morrowind.

Pillars on the otherhand came out more polished than I expected it to be, I mean yeah we had some major bugs that ruined it for some players, but I save so much and make new save files all the time in fresh new areas that even if I had encountered companion stat glitches or passive removal glitch, I would lose maybe like 20 minutes, an hour in the most extreme cases.
Pillars is about the most polished rpg of its type to ever be released. Most of the problems have already been fixed within the first week of release.

Exactly. Even just comparing Obsidian's releases to Bethesda's, I'm not sure why Bethesda hasn't earned the same reputation. Skyrim on PS3 anyone? Or just Skyrim in general, I mean I love that game, but not for it's stability and polish.

Hell, that's just comparing Obsidian's games to other similar RPGs. Driveclub? Halo MCC? Broken for MONTHS.

It's a big circlejerk of lazy gaming "journalists" who would rather post clickbait and gamers with selective memory who would rather make meme jokes about Obsidian than objectively consider the quality of their releases.
One of my favorite hobbies is outing Obsidian critics on Neogaf who have never played their games but pretend that they have. i think im up to a body count of four in exposing the lying bastards.

Vamphuntr

My favorite is when Obsidian was blamed for bugs in New Vegas that were present in Morrowind.
You could throw grenades that crashed the game in Morrowind?

RPG always have tons of bugs and glitches and my tolerance with them will depends on how they affect my game. So far I didn't get any game breaking bugs in pillars but a lot of minor annoyances. At least I can lockpick again after the 520 mb patch.

Xiraiya

Pillars is about the most polished rpg of its type to ever be released. Most of the problems have already been fixed within the first week of release.
It's pretty high up there in terms of how many bugs are being stamped out in such a short amount of time.

One of the most exciting thoughts to me is that I want to see Pillars in like a year or so. After more patches have come out, with fixes for things, rebalances and additions here and there and then also whatever DLC or expansions they want to put out for the game.
I just want to see PoE after all that time in it's most complete and updated state and just see how polished and incredible it will be at that point.
On top of how good it is already.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Obsidian releases do have more bugs than say, Bioware games but with the scope they'd pretty much have to.

And either way they're not Troika. Poor, poor Troika.

KePoW

Banned
I'm relatively new to this thread, but is it really true that all of you fully read the in-game books (not quest related)??

Sounds like most posters in this thread say so, but I just cannot fathom doing that. I tried a couple, but now I just instantly sell them. I don't like to read too much, especially if it's not important

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You could throw grenades that crashed the game in Morrowind?
Many of the bugs present in New Vegas/Fallout 3/Skyrim are Gamebryo engine bugs that have been present since the start. This New Vegas grenade bug you speak of i cannot find any reference to. Theres nothing with grenades on the known bugs list. The only reference for something like that is from old versions of some mods that modified grenades.

Xiraiya

I'm relatively new to this thread, but is it really true that all of you fully read the in-game books (not quest related)??
Sounds like most posters in this thread say so, but I just cannot fathom doing that. I tried a couple, but now I just instantly sell them. I don't like to read too much, especially if it's not important

All of you as in the people in this thread? Probably a whole bunch, I save the books in my stash to read them later, usually when I find them, I'm in the middle of doing something else.
They're not exactly that long or difficult to read.

It's an RPG, they're in the game to add to it's lore and world.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not sure I'm playing right. Playing on normal and dying constantly.

It might be a good idea to watch Sensukis videos in the OP. There are systems in the game that make moving away while next to an enemy a bad idea. Its called Engagement and it works similar to Attacks of Opportunity in D&D. From watching people play online this is the number one thing it seems people dont have a grasp on.

Branson

If you've played Mask of the Betrayer, I'd say it's sorta like that. Y'know... Mysterious and otherworldly.

The writing itself is, of course, very good.
I haven't actually. I'm sort of new to these types of RPGs. Not sure if I should play this or divinity os first.

Zeliard

I haven't actually. I'm sort of new to these types of RPGs. Not sure if I should play this or divinity os first.

Divinity: OS is probably more immediately inviting to the newer CRPG player, particularly the combat. Its turn-based combat is widely hailed but the storyline and general writing have received a mixed reception.

If you want something more story-heavy, I'd recommend Pillars of Eternity.

Branson

Divinity: OS is probably more immediately inviting to the newer CRPG player, particularly the combat. Its turn-based combat is widely hailed but the storyline and general writing have received a mixed reception.

Nice. Thanks guys.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Playing modded Skyrim is both amazing and incredibly infuriating. Even with all the unofficial patches the engine is just so unstable it can make the game such a chore to play. PoE is looking to be much more stable and it's nice to see Obsidian working diligently to fix these bugs in a timely manner.

Purchased. Sigh. *Subscribes*

One of us, one of us, one of us.

KePoW

Banned
All of you as in the people in this thread? Probably a whole bunch, I save the books in my stash to read them later, usually when I find them, I'm in the middle of doing something else.
They're not exactly that long or difficult to read.

It's an RPG, they're in the game to add to it's lore and world.

yeah seems like every poster in this thread said they read all the non-essential books too

I definitely cannot make myself do that, even though I love RPGs, it's not for reading

Serrato

Seems like if you close the door of the main bedroom in the Inn of the Stronghold, you cannot open it back. Fortunately, there is always an autosave when you get there.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Died about 50 times to the bear at the start now really not digging this

You're not supposed to fight that thing until later in the game and with a full party.

duckroll

Died about 50 times to the bear at the start now really not digging this

Why... would you try to fight it 50 times if you failed the first few times? It's so early in the game there's no reason not to do other stuff, get more companions, exp, and equipment (all of this can be done in the first 2 hours of the game!), and just go back a short while later.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I tried the bear once, he 1 shot my lion, then 1 shot me, so I assumed it was a later fight and carried on :/

"I have the wizard in my party not sure why I can't take 1 bear and the wisps in the dungeon behind the tree keep killing me too"

You realize the maximum party size is 6, yes? And that the levels/challenge of monsters doesn't scale?

Mideon

Why... would you try to fight it 50 times if you failed the first few times? It's so early in the game there's no reason not to do other stuff, get more companions, exp, and equipment (all of this can be done in the first 2 hours of the game!), and just go back a short while later.

Carry on to where? The first quest I got in town was the dungeon behind the tree the enemies in there kill me easily too

duckroll

Having Eder to tank the bear, Durance to heal, Aloth at the back casting magic missiles, and the PC doing whatever the PC class does, helps A LOT with an early encounter like the bear. This strategy also works really well for taking on trolls on the way to Caed Nua.

Carry on to where? The first quest I got in town was the dungeon behind the tree the enemies in there kill me easily too

There are a number of quests in town which require no fighting at all. You can also explore the wilderness and go to a number of locations without fighting anything if you stay on the road. This isn't a game where you have to rush out and fight everything immediately.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Sleep at the inn. The quest you are on sounds like Visions and Whispers. It doesnt say anything about going into the dungeon behind the tree.

Almighty

Well all this bug talk has made me realize that yeah the game is probably the least buggy of any RPG at launch I can remember. It just sucks that in this particular case I am the unlucky fuck who is getting the weird bug that no one else is.

Xiraiya

You're not suppose to be able to beat the bear by yourself, I got extreeeemely lucky with my Paladin and managed to kill it with like basically no endurance left whatsoever.
That was on normal, on hard it's far more obvious you're not meant to attempt it without a party.

Aaron D.

The "journalists" meme is as tired as the old M$ moniker that refused to let go for years upon years. Why people continue to use it as though it meant anything other than an empty brand of snarky & entitled-elitism is entirely beyond me.

Burt

I'd say that Divinity's combat is easier to understand, but PoE is the easier game once you grasp the core combat concepts (excluding Path of the Damned maybe, but if you're new that probably isn't an option anyway). Also, Divinity does a ton less hand-holding in terms of progression and presents way more opportunities for you to fuck yourself over by doing things out of order or in ways that weren't intended/'canonical'.

PoE's quest structure is actually generally very simple. It's rare to get a quest where you aren't told almost exactly where to go or nearly all of what you need to do. In Divinity, on the other hand, you can end up spending several hours on a puzzle, or worse, you can end up not knowing what to do or where to go and end up missing 1-2 levels worth of content, causing you to push into content that's far too hard for you. If you do ever figure out how to get back to the old content afterwards, you're overleveled and the plot is broken. The game has tons of freedom, but that freedom has costs, and it definitely isn't something that I would recommend for someone new to the genre. I think the minor challenge of coming to grips with PoE's combat system is more suited for genre newcomers than dropping them into the chaos cauldron that is D:OS.

KingV

yeah seems like every poster in this thread said they read all the non-essential books too

I definitely cannot make myself do that, even though I love RPGs, it's not for reading

I could probably do it for Fallout but not this one. High fantasy tends to be too boring for me, though I do like the take on gods that they use in PoE.

pahamrick

You're not suppose to be able to beat the bear by yourself, I got extreeeemely lucky with my Paladin and managed to kill it with like basically no endurance left whatsoever.
That was on normal, on hard it's far more obvious you're not meant to attempt it without a party.

On hard there are two bears. Good luck doing that solo at level 2!

Top Bottom