• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

My experience with grieving mother:

Use spell: miss.
Blunderbuss: shit tons of dmg.

Disregard spells, shoot things with gun.

Xiraiya

Still loving all the other aspects of the game as well, though I now think that maybe I should have started on Path of the Damned difficulty. Well, this way at least I can feel good about my tactical skills :p
I thought about it, but I don't enjoy extra difficulty through stat boosting enemies.
I started on normal and then switched to hard when I found out it had the intended enemy design, and I've been enjoying it that way, not really much harder than normal per say so far, but definitely more interesting.

Raytow

My experience with grieving mother:

Disregard spells, shoot things with gun.

I find ciphers pretty lackluster as spell casters, meh should've rolled a rogue.

Is it too early to start talking about a wish list for the sequel? I love POE and think it's a strong GOTY contender, but I also can't help but think POE serves as a very strong foundation for the future, and that the sequel could be a BG ---> BG2 type situation. If Obsidian does it right, the sequel could potentially be a GOAT contender.

I mean, think about everything they don't have to do for the sequel:

• Heavy pre-production lore/worldbuilding.
  • Class design.
  • Systems/stat design.
  • The game engine itself!
  • Understanding their workflow and delivery dates for various game assets.

Yes, I expect virtually all of these elements to be touched, and I half-expect the stat system to be totally rethought in any hypothetical sequel. But there's still many hours of team meetings about things like whether there is going to be a CHA stat or not that simply don't need to take place.

I also think a healthy amount of asset re-use will allow them to build a bigger/badder sequel. There's already modeled and fleshed-out Bestiary entries for Bears, multiple spiders, wolves, boars, lions, beetles, and so-on - and that's just wild animal foes. So POE 2 could have significantly higher enemy variety by combining those enemies with new ones like worms, bats, and so-on.

There's only two big things I'd like to see from a sequel that I can think of right now:
  • Advanced ally tactics system. Set up a priority list/sequence of if/then statements, like FF XII.
  • Romances!

I would like for more difficulty spikes in the next mega dunegon. I completed it at lvl 9 and more or less right after getting the keep without leaving. Some encounters were hard no doubt but never enouge for me to feel obligated to leave and level up myself and my gear. The only time I left was at the final level and the boss. Also the mechanics of that boss IMO is not a good way to make a difficult fight and could be improved alot for next games endgame bosses.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I find ciphers pretty lackluster as spell casters, meh should've rolled a rogue.

Ciphers are probably the best casters in the game, at least until Wizard hits 6th level spells. Mental Binding is straight up the best crowd control skill in the game for a while (well, now that Slicken's nerfed). Might be different on path of the damned, though I don't think the other casters have more accuracy on their spells?

Violet_0

Banned
Okay fair, I haven't messed around with Druids as much as the other three proper casters. They might come out on top.

cyphers get a really powerful crowd control spell at level VI, mages apparently too (haven't used one), priests are pretty consistent throughout the game and druids have a rather strong spell selection in general, plus they can use summons without having to wait five minutes

Xiraiya

So what I'm getting from this back and forth, spell casters in general are pretty rad at different levels.

Fair enough.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
So what I'm getting from this back and forth, spell casters in general are pretty rad at different levels.

Fair enough.

Ciphers and Priests tend to be pretty consistently good, Wizards only real come into their own at around level 9. Druids I dunno!

KarmaCow

Am I missing something about the Act 2 quest
A Voice From the Past
?

It's the one where you Dalton asks you to find Rowana in the Catacombs of Defiance Bay. Blah blah, it turns out she's been trapped in an amulet and you have the choice of either giving it to Dalton so he can be with her in some sick twisted way or grant Rowana peace by destroying the amulet. I reloaded just to make sure but it seems like the only way to destroy the amulet is to do in front of his face. That seems kinda sadistic since you can just as easily tell him it was just a dream and not mention her cruel fate. Only in that case you can't destroy the amulet? That seems odd.

Another quest had this problem with options that should be there being conspicuously absent, like the option not to buy something and back out.

Durante

Fair enough.
It's true. What I really like is that despite all spells fitting a common framework and perhaps not being as individually distinct as what you'd get in D&D, they still managed to make each caster class play very uniquely -- perhaps even more so than in the IE games.

The way you decide which spells to use in which battle, the thought, resources and tradeoffs that are involved in selecting them, and how they need to be targeted all differ substantially between Wizards, Ciphers, Priests and Chanters.

moniker

A Voice From the Past
?

It's the one where you Dalton asks you to find Rowana in the Catacombs of Defiance Bay. Blah blah, it turns out she's been trapped in an amulet and you have the choice of either giving it to Dalton so he can be with her in some sick twisted way or grant Rowana peace by destroying the amulet. I reloaded just to make sure but it seems like the only way to destroy the amulet is to do in front of his face. That seems kinda sadistic since you can just as easily tell him it was just a dream and not mention her cruel fate. Only in that case you can't destroy the amulet? That seems odd.

If I'm not misremembering, I got him to destroy that amulet himself.

Violet_0

Banned
A Voice From the Past
?

Another quest had this problem with options that should be there being conspicuously absent, like the option not to buy something and back out.

you can convince him that he should destroy the amulet, a stat check might be involved

Durante

Ciphers and Priests tend to be pretty consistently good, Wizards only real come into their own at around level 9. Druids I dunno!
I don't fully agree since I think even low-level Wizard spells are often really useful (I mean, e.g. Slicken is still a good spell after the nerf, never mind its original state!). However, it's true that despite them trying to get away from that type of design it still feels like WIzards have a power curve rather than the more linear growth of other classes.

I can't say that I mind this much though -- I actually prefer it!

Altazor

OH FUCK YES! FINALLY KILLED
RAEDRIC AND HIS CRONIES

Took me like 4 or 5 tries, but I finally did it.

Cheesed his soldiers a bit. First, Edér with his bow suddenly attacking a paladin - 3 or 4 rushed out immediately, Edér retreats to the door. When the paladins + archer + priest reach me, Aloth casts SLICKEN and Durance and Kana shoot the shit out of the priest with their guns. Then it's time for Edér to shine while engaging multiple enemies, my paladin MC supports him, Durance heals/shoots (depending on which one's more necessary at the moment), Kana summons skeletons to act as dummies and do a bit of damage and then shoots. First wave cleared.

Then I send a couple of skeletons to aggro Raedric and a bodyguard. They take the bait, rush me to my spot and the strategy is kinda the same: slicken, spells, shoot, heal. I created a druid adventurer that helped me too, shapeshift massacred one guy and an electricity AOE spell (can't remember the name now, sorry) was hella useful against Raedric and the bodyguard. They're finally down.

But the combat doesn't stop there, ugh. There has to be one more - and yes, it's the Archmage near the throne. I send a couple of skeletons just to aggro the guy and then both Durance and Kana just to shoot at him from afar. It works. They're finally dead, and I managed to NOT lose anyone. Edér was close, though - his health bar is currently flashing red. The rest are between green (and tired) and yellow. But I'm happy, I killed that bastard!

Though... now there's a door I cannot open (literally, the cursor turns red when I hover) - is this a new glitch? Am I supposed to exit the game and then reload and try again?

Xiraiya

It's true. What I really like is that despite all spells fitting a common framework and perhaps not being as individually distinct as what you'd get in D&D, they still managed to make each caster class play very uniquely -- perhaps even more so than in the IE games.

The way you decide which spells to use in which battle, the thought, resources and tradeoffs that are involved in selecting them, and how they need to be targeted all differ substantially between Wizards, Ciphers, Priests and Chanters.
I've started to notice that. I'm generally not a big spell user in games, I mean in Dark Souls 1 and 2 I just went Sword and board the whole game and I'm doing the same with my fighter in PoE now since Paladin isn't what I thought it would be.
But acquiring party members like Aloth and Grieving Mother who use different kinds of "spells" really forces you to start figuring those mechanics out anyway to survive as a party, I appreciate that a whole lot honestly.

Arcanum was the last RPG I played where I really craved and enjoyed making Mages and using different schools of spells.

NIN90

Finally got to enter Defiance Bay. All the Athkatla memories are coming back to me... it's so wonderful. Thank you, Obsidian.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
OH FUCK YES! FINALLY KILLED
RAEDRIC AND HIS CRONIES

Took me like 4 or 5 tries, but I finally did it.

Cheesed his soldiers a bit. First, Edér with his bow suddenly attacking a paladin - 3 or 4 rushed out immediately, Edér retreats to the door. When the paladins + archer + priest reach me, Aloth casts SLICKEN and Durance and Kana shoot the shit out of the priest with their guns. Then it's time for Edér to shine while engaging multiple enemies, my paladin MC supports him, Durance heals/shoots (depending on which one's more necessary at the moment), Kana summons skeletons to act as dummies and do a bit of damage and then shoots. First wave cleared.

Then I send a couple of skeletons to aggro Raedric and a bodyguard. They take the bait, rush me to my spot and the strategy is kinda the same: slicken, spells, shoot, heal. I created a druid adventurer that helped me too, shapeshift massacred one guy and an electricity AOE spell (can't remember the name now, sorry) was hella useful against Raedric and the bodyguard. They're finally down.

But the combat doesn't stop there, ugh. There has to be one more - and yes, it's the Archmage near the throne. I send a couple of skeletons just to aggro the guy and then both Durance and Kana just to shoot at him from afar. It works. They're finally dead, and I managed to NOT lose anyone. Edér was close, though - his health bar is currently flashing red. The rest are between green (and tired) and yellow. But I'm happy, I killed that bastard!

Though... now there's a door I cannot open (literally, the cursor turns red when I hover) - is this a new glitch? Am I supposed to exit the game and then reload and try again?
Congrats on the victory.

As for the door
there are two NPCs that will aid you in getting to the throne room without fighting the guards at the front. One is the cleric on the top level which allows you to access the throne room from the northwest. The other is the animancer in the dungeon. Her path comes up through the door you are speaking of. Iirc you can get through that door but only if you access it from the dungeon area first. She may have a key on her body.. or there might be one in the room.. its been awhile since i was there but i did get through that passage without aiding her quest and by killing her.

Sendou

So I was doing "The Man Who Waits" quest
at the basement of Sanitarium. When that cutscene occurred and all patients attacked me there I dealth with them. Then I went to Azo and told him I was going to expose him. He attacked me and I killed him too. Now I went to the ground floor of the Sanitarium and everyone is hostile against me. Where did I go wrong and how can I salvage this?

at the basement of Sanitarium. When that cutscene occurred and all patients attacked me there I dealth with them. Then I went to Azo and told him I was going to expose him. He attacked me and I killed him too. Now I went to the ground floor of the Sanitarium and everyone is hostile against me. Where did I go wrong and how can I salvage this?

Common bug. Lots of people just don't talk to Azo afterwards. I did exactly what you did and nothing bad happened when I went upstairs. Just reload and try it again or don't talk to him.

Durante

I did the same except for the
killing Azo
part, and no one turned hostile on me. You actually get an opportunity to
decide Azo's fate
afterwards.

Sendou

Common bug. Lots of people just don't talk to Azo afterwards. I did exactly what you did and nothing bad happened when I went upstairs. Just reload and try it again or don't talk to him.

I did the same except for the
killing Azo
part, and no one turned hostile on me. You actually get an opportunity to
decide Azo's fate
afterwards.

Well I'm a bit sad now. My last save is from an hour ago and
I was playing with quite a pro-animancy mindset and now I'm apparently forced to kill them all?
Wish it didn't have to be this way but maybe hoping for a retroactive fix is too optimistic.

Altazor

Congrats on the victory.

As for the door
there are two NPCs that will aid you in getting to the throne room without fighting the guards at the front. One is the cleric on the top level which allows you to access the throne room from the northwest. The other is the animancer in the dungeon. Her path comes up through the door you are speaking of. Iirc you can get through that door but only if you access it from the dungeon area first. She may have a key on her body.. or there might be one in the room.. its been awhile since i was there but i did get through that passage without aiding her quest and by killing her.

thanks, I finally opened that door... I had to get closer to it, and order my party to get inside that room and then FINALLY the cursor changed to "open door". Oh well, at least I could loot something.

Question regarding the Hold's dungeons
I somehow missed that entire Osrya part while clearing the dungeons first. So now that I killed Raedric, I go talk to her and... she says she's pissed off and has no further use for me. Should I just kill her or leave her alone?

Labadal

is melee DPS awesome in this game?? how's MONK?
I'm having fun with my monk on hard, but he has been knocked out several times. He's still my main damage dealer. It's just fun to run around and punch things to death.

I equipped him with weapons for a while but I am now bare handed again.

As long as you keep an eye out for your health and use abilities from wounds, you will probably do fine.

Durante

Well I'm a bit sad now. My last save is from an hour ago and
I was playing with quite a pro-animancy mindset and now I'm apparently forced to kill them all?
Wish it didn't have to be this way but maybe hoping for a retroactive fix is too optimistic.
Not that it helps you now (or excuses bugs), but perhaps it does in the future: if you are playing a cRPG at release, then for the love of god, save more often. And not just quicksaves either! (Unless the game allows you to keep a rolling history of N quicksaves - all RPGs should have that option)

Ciphers are probably the best casters in the game, at least until Wizard hits 6th level spells. Mental Binding is straight up the best crowd control skill in the game for a while (well, now that Slicken's nerfed). Might be different on path of the damned, though I don't think the other casters have more accuracy on their spells?

What'd they do to slicken?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I don't fully agree since I think even low-level Wizard spells are often really useful (I mean, e.g. Slicken is still a good spell after the nerf, never mind its original state!). However, it's true that despite them trying to get away from that type of design it still feels like WIzards have a power curve rather than the more linear growth of other classes.

I can't say that I mind this much though -- I actually prefer it!

I think the big problem is that cipher spells are a lot more spammable, and that wizards have a lot less Foe AOE spells that make them seem a little lacklustre at lower levels. You're right though, they're not bad by any means.
And Gaze of the Adragan is a contender for 'best spell in the game'- gods even know what they're going to get for VII-X in the expansion.

CoolOff

So, just reached the R
aedric-fight
(slow, I know), and this is the first time the game is really challenging to me. I'm thinking of attacking before doing the entire dialogue and maybe sniping one of the guards before it even begins, because I'm currently getting slaughtered.

Sendou

Not that it helps you now (or excuses bugs), but perhaps it does in the future: if you are playing a cRPG at release, then for the love of god, save more often. And not just quicksaves either! (Unless the game allows you to keep a rolling history of N quicksaves - all RPGs should have that option)

Yeah tell me about it! I had been saving for like every 15 minutes before now but that was more because I was afraid of dying at combat. Then when I was doing this quest I didn't feel threatened so I didn't remember to save.

Anyone has any guesses what happens if you just slaughter everyone at
the Sanotarium? I'm not exactly a roleplayer and I did all the quest there already so I'm not too worried other than my repution in Defiance Bay will be garbage afterwards or the whole Defiance Bay is hostile after I'm finished.

KePoW

Banned
I'm having fun with my monk on hard, but he has been knocked out several times. He's still my main damage dealer. It's just fun to run around and punch things to death.

As long as you keep an eye out for your health and use abilities from wounds, you will probably do fine.

ok kool thx, i'm playing on Normal hopefully it's ok and I don't take much damage

Made it AoE instead of Foe-AoE

It was AoE before, but it's only a one-time effect now -- no duration

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Monk brother!

Fast, strong, accurate, interrupting monk is fun to play.

Yeah, I *could* use weapons, but it's more fun beating things with your fists.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm still in Act 2, so I don't know which quests (if any) you get locked out of in Act 3, but one which gives a massive reputation boost in my experience is helping
the priestess of Magran (Fyrga) regain her Faith and relight the fires.

Sweet! Looking over my list, it appears I never completed that one. I'll go do that next. Thanks.

KePoW

Banned
Monk brother!

Fast, strong, accurate, interrupting monk is fun to play.

Yeah, I *could* use weapons, but it's more fun beating things with your fists.

do yall know if it's true that it's better to use one weapon in your off-hand while keeping main-hand fist? or is that not true??

Durante

I thought they did it to chilling fog and slicken. The more you know.
No that's just chilling fog.

The thing is, I used to think that chilling fog is AoE, and I still considered it one of the best lvl1 spells. So that nerf (just like the slicken nerf) seems appropriate, and it doesn't suffer from the "overnerfing" that often renders skills completely useless in some games.

Top Bottom