• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I'm about ready to start Pillars, but just to prepare me, a few questions. If I start on hard is there a level cap or can I just grind away, if I get more trouble than I bargained for? Do enemies scale to your level?
No xp for killing mobs - quest xp only.

Hence no auto scale, it's designed not to be needed.

vocab

I'm about ready to start Pillars, but just to prepare me, a few questions. If I start on hard is there a level cap or can I just grind away, if I get more trouble than I bargained for? Do enemies scale to your level?

There is no grinding. Enemies do not scale.

e: to clarify, with trash i mean actual shit that have absolutely no uses. like, you can't use them, you probably can't sell them for more than 1 gold piece.

Well, that's a different story then because not many games have that. It only exists in pillars probably for legacy reasons. This game has a few things in it only because BG had it.

Almighty

The level cap is 12 I believe, can't really grind as you don't get xp from combat after you fill out the bestiary info on the creature just quests, and I don't think enemies scale.

bede-x

No xp for killing mobs - quest xp only.

Hence no auto scale, it's designed not to be needed.

That actually sounds promising and potetially like something that could reduce the amount of pointless battles one often encounters in rpgs. I think I'll settle for normal difficulty then.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Nohar

After completing almost all of Defiance's Bay quests (sadly, the place isn't as big as Baldur's Gate and Athkatla), I decided to go back to Caed Nua and explore the underground. Reached and completed floor 5 without any problems (party level = 8). My Erék is almost impossible to kill, and there is no need to use spells or potions to protect him further (with 93 Deflection, 80+ Fortitude and 65+ Reflex/Will, almost no one is able to hit him, and I can even cast some spells which requires a Fortitude check on top of him in all impunity).

I also discovered a tad late that we can flank enemies, which gives them a malus of -10 Deflection. So, basically, I send Erék on the front lines, and I ask the snow fox to go around them in order to position itself for flanking. It's very effective.

Has anyone noticed that
"what lies in our past is best left buried"
is, like, a theme in this videogame?

I also discovered a tad late that we can flank enemies, which gives them a malus of -10 Deflection. So, basically, I send Erék on the front lines, and I ask the snow fox to go around them in order to position itself for flanking. It's very effective.
Even better if you give the fox the talent that gives it Sneak Attack, basically.

KarmaCow

I'm a bit confused as to how the Priest spells work. (Endgame and Durance spoilers)
I beat the game but before then when Iovara reveals that the gods are constructs of the Builders, you can have a conversation with Durance where he loses his faith in Magran. The description of Priest spells makes it seem like your spells are linked to your devotion to a particular god, so how does that work in gameplay terms? I played a Monk so I assumed that if I played a priest I would need to tailor my responses and decisions to keep in line with my faith but Durance seemed to have all his spells despite vowing vengeance after losing his faith. Is this just a convenience thing since it's past of the point of no return and Durance would be utterly useless?

And about the epilogue, is that meant to factor into the expansions somehow because there were a couple things that I did not intend to happen. Not stuff
like the machine in Heritage Hill being turned on again by remnants of the Leaden Key but more along the lines of putting Aloth in charge of the Leaden Key and having him continue the charade. It's not a big deal, especially since I don't think there was a way to reveal the truth to the world in the end but it felt weird that Aloth wanted to maintain the Leaden Key like that
. Well that and not completing the other sidequests before completing the game that I would want to complete if they affected later released stuff.

Also I guess I missed the email where they asked for your name for the credits because I couldn't find my name in there. Oh well. :(

Violet_0

Banned
Obsidian's absolute top priority for the expansion should be godlike portraits for non-humans. I don't think I could support another of their games without in good conscience

Uthred

What do you miss out on if you with a fully "hired" party? Is banter about it? Not really feeling most of the companions so far, GM seems cool but I dont want to double up on classes (PC is a Ciper).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
What do you miss out on if you with a fully "hired" party? Is banter about it? Not really feeling most of the companions so far, GM seems cool but I dont want to double up on classes (PC is a Ciper).

Well, they make comments during your conversations, which can be nice flavor, and they each have their own sidequest that (I think) grants XP. Since you don't get XP from fights, this might be kind of a big deal. I've seen others say that GM and whathisname.... the priest of the fire goddess are the best, and I kind of agree. I've really enjoyed having them around.

I can't remember the XP amounts, maybe you wouldn't be missing out on much

Ala Alba

Banter, occasional interjection into dialogue (which has no ultimate effect, I think), experience from their sidequests (not necessary).

They basically just liven the game up.

Violet_0

Banned

companion quest, party banter (only triggers in few places) and they sometimes throw in a comment during npc dialogues. My second party only has one of the companions with them and it's awfully quiet most of the time

Nohar

You'll miss (funny!) banter, some story-building (Durance is a walking encyclopedia about the Saint's War
and for very good reasons, since he pretty much experienced it firsthand and helped to drop an atomic bomb on Eothas' avatar, bomb that he created... and he has a very peculiar way to show his faith to his goddess, who he calls a whore on a daily basis
), a few scripted interactions, and their personal quests. As far as I know, that's pretty much it.

Uthred

Well, they make comments during your conversations, which can be nice flavor, and they each have their own sidequest that (I think) grants XP. Since you don't get XP from fights, this might be kind of a big deal. I've seen others say that GM and whathisname.... the priest of the fire goddess are the best, and I kind of agree. I've really enjoyed having them around.

I can't remember the XP amounts, maybe you wouldn't be missing out on much

Banter, occasional interjection into dialogue (which has no ultimate effect, I think), experience from their sidequests (not necessary).

They basically just liven the game up.

companion quest, party banter (only triggers in few places) and they sometimes throw in a comment during npc dialogues. My second party only has one of the companions with them and it's awfully quiet most of the time

Cheers for the info, I'll keep them in for the moment so, perhaps Durance gets better later but not a fan so far, feels like his dialogue is trying too hard, the Mark Millar school of dialogue, just waiting for him to call someone a c**t.

KarmaCow

Cheers for the info, I'll keep them in for the moment so, perhaps Durance gets better later but not a fan so far, feels like his dialogue is trying too hard, the Mark Millar school of dialogue, just waiting for him to call someone a c**t.

He's just blunt and full of actual angst, I think he avoids being an boring "edgy" shell.

I found that all the characters grew on me the longer I had them in my party.

Eder especially. He has a unique commentary dependent on what type of pet you have in your pet slot, so it also encouraged me to try out all the different pets.

KePoW

Banned
I found that all the characters grew on me the longer I had them in my party.

Eder especially. He has a unique commentary dependent on what type of pet you have in your pet slot, so it also encouraged me to try out all the different pets.

where is ur avatar from btw?? looks like a weird skull haha

DrSlek

tcgY95t.jpg

time to purchase Torment

having read some of your previous post, the game is exactly for you

I need to play it one of these days too. I tried some years back but couldn't get it to work on my computer (wasn't a recent digital release). That and the Icewind Dale games are the last IE games for me to try, love BG 1+2 to death.

I wonder if we will get Torment:Enhanced Edition one of these days. I'm a fan of the rereleases of BG games despite the meh new content.

kamineko

I've decided to buy Torment again (the 3rd time, lol) after I finish this. It's been too long since I played it.

KePoW

Banned
Planescape: Torment

time to purchase Torment

having read some of your previous posts, the game is perfect for you

ohhh yeah I actually forgot haha

I'm 38 so I actually played Planescape Torment when it originally came out, but I didn't like it near as much as BG2+ToB. I liked BG2 10x better, so I don't remember much about PST or the characters (except that it had WAY TOO MUCH reading)

btw Violet I assume ur trolling me =P

Because I already said recently in this thread that I don't like reading lol. I already skip about 30% of the story dialog in PoE, I just can't force myself to read all of it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I need to play it one of these days too. I tried some years back but couldn't get it to work on my computer (wasn't a recent digital release). That and the Icewind Dale games are the last IE games for me to try, love BG 1+2 to death.

I wonder if we will get Torment:Enhanced Edition one of these days. I'm a fan of the rereleases of BG games despite the meh new content.

They try and add their mediocre sidequests to Torment and I will cut them.

@_@

kamineko

I said it was mediocre. And Baldur's Gate is a content funhouse anyways. Adding to it isnt like adding to Torment.

Yeah, I kind of liked the extra content in the BG EEs, but one does not simply "add content" to Torment.

ohhh yeah I actually forgot haha

I'm 38 so I actually played Planescape Torment when it originally came out, but I didn't like it near as much as BG2+ToB. I liked BG2 10x better, so I don't remember much about PST or the characters (except that it had WAY TOO MUCH reading)

btw Violet I assume ur trolling me =P

Because I already said recently in this thread that I don't like reading lol. I already skip about 30% of the story dialog in PoE, I just can't force myself to read all of it

I was about to say that you're dead to me... but you also like Baldur's Gate, so I guess you can live.

Varna

Dyrford
ruins
was pretty rough for me... seemed like the enemies had ridiculous deflection and fortitude. What level did most of you guys finish this at?

JC Sera

Dyrford
ruins
was pretty rough for me... seemed like the enemies had ridiculous deflection and fortitude. What level did most of you guys finish this at?
I went at it way to early
by accidentally finding it while unlocking the curriers backdoor

I ended up completing 80% of it then going out the back entrance
only to be accosted by many stone beetles while at low health

Also I bet the high fortitude stems from all the
self-flagellation

Dyrford
ruins

For me, I did it at
level 7 or 8. Aside from the traps it was a straightforward affair.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I started my 2nd playthrough, Amaua monk with very high str/con, decent dex, and low res/perception. I'm gonna punch everything to death.

Dyrford
ruins

I found it to be easy, there are tons of choke points. You just need to take out the magic users with your ranged attacks 1st. Their melee people don't do damage but take forever to kill.

Varna

I found it to be easy, there are tons of choke points. You just need to take out the magic users with your ranged attacks 1st. Their melee people don't do damage but take forever to kill.

Certainly took advantage of that. I went in with a level 5 group and those meele enemies certainly did do damage to me.

Really like all the choices that surround each quest... So far all the "villains" have certainly put up compelling arguments.

JC Sera

Certainly took advantage of that. I went in with a level 5 group and those meele enemies certainly did do damage to me.

Really like all the choices that surround each quest... So far all the "villains" have certainly put up compelling arguments.
Raedric's falls apart when you
talk about the knife or visit the bedroom

Also please tell me you had the grieving mother in your party when talking to the skaen cultist leader

Top Bottom