• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anyone else just love the setting of the Heritage Hills map? I wish there were more quests to do here.

Playing on hard now and still steamrolling everything. I gave all my casters guns. Grieving Mother is shooting a blunderbuss faster than my wizards are firing pistols. So OP.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So.... does anything protect from domination? I see protection from confusion.

Or is domination the secret to.... World Domination, somehow poorly put to use by its many masters?

So.... does anything protect from domination? I see protection from confusion.

Or is domination the secret to.... World Domination, somehow poorly put to use by its many masters?

Will defense, and probably some sort of priest spell. There's also a couple talents that give passive defense boosts against it, IIRC.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Will defense, and probably some sort of priest spell. There's also a couple talents that give passive defense boosts against it, IIRC.

Yeah, there's a 4th level priest spell that does confusion and daze.... I haven't hit the level cap so maybe there's something else higher up.

I'll look for will boosts, then. I'm having a really stupid fight
on the 11th floor of EP. Narrow hallway (only 1 person at a time) opens into a room with a giant dank spore

EDIT: looks like there's a chant that does +10 will, here goes

Haunted

tcgY95t.jpg
:lol

Kvik

I kinda wish human enemies were added to the bestiary too once we downed them. I like that CDPR actually does this in TW2.

Also did anyone make use of that turn enemies into allies spell? I found it very useful when I fought
Caul The Silent
since it turned his two guards against each other.

Xiraiya

I will say, I find it weird they measure stuff in "seconds" when half of the combat feels a bit turned based-like.
I find my self resisting the urge to stay away from skills that are measured in seconds just because I don't really feel like I'm going to time things reliably enough to make them work as well as they should.

It feels like a conflict of mechanics to me.

My guess is it is the hotfix for the door bug.

It is.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76254-103-hotfix-doors-not-opening-due-to-fog-of-war/

Hey, everyone. We just put out another hotfix on Steam for an issue where some people were running into doors that wouldn't open after they had been manually closed. It didn't affect many areas in the game, but we wanted to make sure we fixed this in case some people got trapped.

The problem had to do with a bug in the hotfix calculations. It was causing some areas to think they were still under the Fog of War when they weren't.

Please let us know if you see any other problems like this.

This hotfix has been submitted to GOG and Origin, so we hope they will be up in the next day or two.

I've just realized that the game is also available on Origin.

_DrMario_

Just beat it on Normal. 40 hours. Won't say too much since Felipepe's post on RPGCodex is pretty much what I think of the game.

I rushed through Act 3 because I honestly was losing interest in the story and the bad guy. I was max lvl by the end of Act 2 and since the itemization in this game is shit I didn't even care to explore for the potential loot.

I liked Eder and Durance but I really didn't care much for the other NPCs in my group.

Game is very easy on normal. Even when the patch unbugged Eder he was still pretty much unkillable. And it didn't take long for me to make Pallegina unkillable as well.

Way too much trash mobs for a game that doesn't give fight exp. Way to much trash fights for a game where 90% of the fights play out the same way.

Found most of the locations overall kinda boring and not very varied.

Music and graphics were great. Voice work was very uneven.

Stronghold... lol. Finished the game with 150k of gold by the way.

2x speed button = brilliant.

Overall I give it a Better then BG1 but not even close to BG2 /10. Already itching for a replay but I'm going to wait for another couple of patches. Still a lot of bugs and balance issues to be taken care of.

Blizzard

Banned
It's the hotfix for the door bug. See texhnolyze's post above for the deets.
Minor note, Obsidian's summary is slightly inaccurate since it wasn't JUST doors that were manually closed. You could do a new run and the very first time you found the door in Raedric's Keep to attempt one of the quest paths, it was impossible to open.

Act 3 spoiler, Council of Stars quest:

So which god should I choose? I went ahead and did all of the god quests to earn their favor so I just have to pick one. I am leaning towards Berath or Galwain. Either strengthening the Drywood or returning the souls to the wheel seems the most reasonable choices. Hylea and returning them to the Hollowborn strikes me as a recipe for disaster, and giving them over to entropy comes off as pretty evil.

All the gods seem like selfish jerks though, so it's not like there is a clear cut "good guy" answer.

I'd love to hear what other people went with.

Sou Da

So which god should I choose? I went ahead and did all of the god quests to earn their favor so I just have to pick one. I am leaning towards Berath or Galwain. Either strengthening the Drywood or returning the souls to the wheel seems the most reasonable choices. Hylea and returning them to the Hollowborn strikes me as a recipe for disaster, and giving them over to entropy comes off as pretty evil.

All the gods seem like selfish jerks though, so it's not like there is a clear cut "good guy" answer.

I was still looking for Eothas, surprised Eder said nothing there.

Violet_0

Banned

I made a pact with all gods, then did something entirely different at the end and the result was quite funny

fallout

Because it's still a fun game even if it has (a lot) flaws?

I don't know if you noticed but we haven't exactly been swimming in CRPGs in the last 15 years.
Haha, I dunno. I guess if I finished a game feeling like that, the absolute last thing I'd want to do is play it again. Hell, I doubt I'd even finish it. There might be a lack of CRPGs, but there are still a ton of other great games to enjoy.

Almighty

I went with Berath, but then forgot my promise to him and returned the souls to the hollow born. Lets just say he was not pleased with that decision.
If you want more details
he ended up releasing a plague that killed thousands to get the souls he thought he was owed and the people figured that was the price they had to pay to have him end the whole mess.

O.DOGG

Goddamnit, Obsidian! How am I supposed to enjoy all those interesting companions when I can only have six with me! Maybe we should've funded less companions, that way there wouldn't have to be anyone to leave out...

Seriously though, I am about to recruit the Grieving Mother, and I don't want to part with anyone in my current group. Maybe Sagani is not as interesting but I like her, and she pulls her weight in battle, plus Itumaak forms the second half of my front line. Damn these decisions.

Uthred

Because it's still a fun game even if it has (a lot) flaws?

I don't know if you noticed but we haven't exactly been swimming in CRPGs in the last 15 years.

Is CRPG the term used to describe this particular style of rpg? Seems oddly broad as the C presumably stands for computer, context aside would have thought it was an umbrella terms covering jrpgs, wrpgs, etc. (Not that computer genre labels are ever particularly accurate)

Varna

Is CRPG the term used to describe this particular style of rpg?

I never really got it myself (even though I use it all the time). I just figure it's a left over from a time were western RPGs were pretty much exclusive to the PC.

Goddamnit, Obsidian! How am I supposed to enjoy all those interesting companions when I can only have six with me! Maybe we should've funded less companions, that way there wouldn't have to be anyone to leave out...

Seriously though, I am about to recruit the Grieving Mother, and I don't want to part with anyone in my current group. Maybe Sagani is not as interesting but I like her, and she pulls her weight in battle, plus Itumaak forms the second half of my front line. Damn these decisions.

Eh, I just travel with different setups all the time. Thankfully this game doesn't seem to have a Jaheira like character that you have to keep forever unless you don't want to ever see her again.

I just reached Dyrford even though I'm not done with Defiance Bay at all. I went to recruit the Grieving Mother but I think I'll stay until I end the quest here
I went to the cave and the ogre said there wasn't any girl there, he attacked me and I killed him and got his head ( I guess it's a quest item). Going by the other exit I found a dead body and note talking about a secret culy in Dyrford, so I think thing may take an unexpected turn

I was in the same situation last weekend.
In the end I had to say goodbye to Kana, Grieving Mother is awesome and I love Sagani.

Varna

I just reached Dyrford even though I'm not done with Defiance Bay at all. I went to recruit the Grieving Mother but I think I'll stay until I end the quest here
I went to the cave and the ogre said there wasn't any girl there, he attacked me and I killed him and got his head ( I guess it's a quest item). Going by the other exit I found a dead body and note talking about a secret culy in Dyrford, so I think thing may take an unexpected turn

You have no idea.

Careful if you are level 5 or so... things can get a little rough.

Oh shit... anything get locked out once you move to Act 2?

Almighty

You have no idea.

Careful if you are level 5 or so... things can get a little rough.

Oh shit... anything get locked out once you move to Act 2?

I don't believe so. I believe a few quests/task got dropped for me when I moved to Act 3 though.

Kyuur

Hooray, they fix the door glitch the day I encounter it!

Progress a bit and get hit with another bug, maybe? My MC was hit by a trap, knocked out. She regened a bit of Endurance and then just stopped, at the same value as her HP. Went back to town and rested and she's at full, done for tonight but I hope it hasn't broken her regen forever or something...

Top Bottom