• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

ahahahah wow.

In between the nitpicking about the absence of unique dragon scale armor and non-issues like 'grrr how dare they tie accuracy increases to classes and level gains', he has some points about the usefulness of the stronghold, enemy mobs, combat, the encounter system and enemy AI but his proposals are even worse. As if BG or ID enemy AI was that much better.

Obsidian's approach to the genre with custom rules is refreshing and modern. The lack of resource conservation and continuous party resting should be applauded instead of criticised.

And Durance is the best party member I've met since HK-47 and Minsc.

ys45

Hey guys a bit off topic but anyone in Canada received their backer physical reward yet ?
It's been like a month now it says shipping soon on my order status .

Great joke review from the Codex. As someone with a laundry list of critiques of PoE, I'm alternating between bafflement and laughter as I skim through this one. Darth Roxor apparently took a Philosophy 101 class last semester and feels the need to invoke Plato and Descartes at every turn, in between references to every CRPG he can think of in order to sound like a more credible elitist. Oh, and the requisite stalker-level Josh Sawyer obsession/hatred that has been the Codex's calling card for years.

So what you're saying is he put Descartes before the horse

So what you're saying is he put Descartes before the horse

the-rock-clapping.gif

Woke up at 6am to play before the kids got up (spring break). May have a problem. Level 8 and I just got to Dyrwood Village. Did the
stone gorge dungeon and let the guy go because I'm playing benevolent and don't use Sagani much

Zukuu

Banned
Going to start the game today. Anything I should know? Missable content etc

Will the kickstarter & pre-order items ruin the game balance early on, should I de-install it them?

Will the kickstarter & pre-order items ruin the game balance early on, should I de-install it them?

There's nothing missable you really need to worry about and the pre-order items aren't an issue in terms of game balance.

I'm not sure there's much missable content. I'm late in the game and have gone back to do missions from the first act with no problem. Even the companions are pretty hard to miss.

The pig and the ring pre-order items didn't affect my game at all.

Zukuu

Banned
Pollaxe or Pike? That's the only question I'm pondering about after 2h of deciding whether I'm playing a Fighter or a Berserker (chose Fighter) before starting my character.

Any recommendations?

edit:
Is it possible to rebind 1-9 keys to "select action of active character" and "select character" to F1-F6?

Pollaxe or Pike? That's the only question I'm pondering about after 2h of deciding whether I'm playing a Fighter or a Berserker (chose Fighter) before starting my character.

Any recommendations?
Just look at the stats. Which one is faster, has a better range, does more damage, has DR piercing bonusses, and what type of damage?

2h melee weapons are pretty balanced imo. I doubted between estoc and greatsword and chose the latter.

Nohar

What about Rogue Dual Wielding?

Fast/Fast, Fast/Normal or Normal/Fast?

Broken/Broken. I kinda like Stilettos. You can buy one at Gilded Vale which has a chance to cast Jolting Touch on each swing (and it deals a lot of damages): Azureith's Stiletto (obviously, this one needs to be upgraded to Fine ASAP). You also have Oidhreacht (which comes with Damaging 1 & Draining, the latter can be useful if you take some damages), though I can't remember where you get it. Right now, I'm dual-wielding Azureith and Dîal Ewn Dibita, a club which has the following properties: Vicious (x1.2 against Proned, Stunned, or Flanked enemies), Fine, and inherent bonus of Accuracy +5. Very very nice. I think it is a quest reward in Defiance Bay, "A Voice from the Past".

Moff

I was expecting a delay but not a month , especially when they said they were only shipping physical goods so we get hem at the same time of release ...

I just received my CE box, although my account still says "shipping soon", and I live in europe so it must have been on the way for some time

Broken/Broken. I kinda like Stilettos. You can buy one at Gilded Vale which has a chance to cast Jolting Touch on each swing (and it deals a lot of damages): Azureith's Stiletto (obviously, this one needs to be upgraded to Fine ASAP). You also have Oidhreacht (which comes with Damaging 1 & Draining, the latter can be useful if you take some damages), though I can't remember where you get it. Right now, I'm dual-wielding Azureith and Dîal Ewn Dibita, a club which has the following properties: Vicious (x1.2 against Proned, Stunned, or Flanked enemies), Fine, and inherent bonus of Accuracy +5. Very very nice. I think it is a quest reward in Defiance Bay, "A Voice from the Past".

What do you mean by Broken/Broken?

Vendor stuff is really expensive.

Also, how do I deal with ghosts that teleport to my caster from MT?

Nohar

What do you mean by Broken/Broken?

Vendor stuff is really expensive.

Also, how do I deal with ghosts that teleport to my caster from MT?

This was an exageration from my part. I just find Azureith's Stiletto to be very powerful when the Jolting Touch spell procs.

For the ghosts, nothing special to do: kill them before they kill you. You can't do anything to stop them (unless if you manage to stun/prone/interrupt them when they are casting their teleport ability).

Zukuu

Banned
Is there a reason why I shouldn't give my casters a bow/crossbow to keep them even farther away instead of scepters? Just seems safer. Would also mean I can scrap to use a Rogue/Ranger. ^_^

Nohar

Is there a reason why I shouldn't give my casters a bow/crossbow to keep them even farther away instead of scepters? Just seems safer. Would also mean I can scrap to use a Rogue/Ranger. ^_^

Not really. Unless you took some talents and abilities which make use of scepters/rods/wands, you can safely switch to whatever you want, there is no penalty as far as I know. The game is very flexible regarding weapons and armors, with no real penalty inflicted by your class. Just be aware of the defenses and damage reduction types of your enemies (scepters and wands have the huge advantage of doing dual type of damages, with Crushing damage being one of them, making them more useful against enemies with high slashing/piercing damage reduction, whereas crossbows and bows only do piercing damage).

KePoW

Banned

bow/xbow is only Piercing damage I believe, which is a huge disadvantage

Zukuu

Banned
Not really. Unless you took some talents and abilities which make use of scepters/rods/wands, you can safely switch to whatever you want, there is no penalty as far as I know. The game is very flexible regarding weapons and armors, with no real penalty inflicted by your class. Just be aware of the defenses and damage reduction types of your enemies (scepters and wands have the huge advantage of doing dual type of damages, with Crushing damage being one of them, making them more useful against enemies with high slashing/piercing damage reduction, whereas crossbows and bows only do piercing damage).

Well my PC deals crushing damage already. I actually don't care if they deal much damage, it's just some sort of auto attack when they are idle and not cast anything. I'll keep the scepter in the 2nd slot equipped just in case.

Not sure how character progression works in terms of equipment tho. Do I find "better" weapons or just variations of the same weapon (fine, excellent etc), so is it advisable to just "enchant" a weapon and stick with it? What does 1/12 and 0/12 etc anvil symbols mean? What about armor?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Mulgrok

Damn, that's scathing. Unfortunately, it seems to confirm a lot of the fears I'm having even just three hours in, especially in regards to buffs, combat (particular the usefulness of wizards) and encounter design in general.

Hopefully I end up finding more ways to enjoy the game as I continue, but it really hasn't quite pulled me in yet and has me worried in some respects.

Buffs and debuffs do make a difference. The only problem is if they critically fail resulting in a very short duration. I 1 shot some tough optional bosses just because debuffs and buffs kept them from doing damage to me.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Was level 3, PC + 2 members. I skipped the one room with 5 shades and completed the rest. Will go back to it with more peeps later I guess.

I cleared it with 3. You really need to rely on AoE crowd control when you're low level. Crowd control is the most important thing to making this game's combat very easy. Wizards are the kings of this but chanter summons can also help and so do some Cipher and Druid spells. If you can hold off 1-2 of the ghosts it suddenly becomes completely manageable.

Nohar

Well my PC deals crushing damage already. I actually don't care if they deal much damage, it's just some sort of auto attack when they are idle and not cast anything. I'll keep the scepter in the 2nd slot equipped just in case.

Not sure how character progression works in terms of equipment tho. Do I find "better" weapons or just variations of the same weapon (fine, excellent etc), so is it advisable to just "enchant" a weapon and stick with it? What does 1/12 and 0/12 etc anvil symbols mean? What about armor?

Well, since you can enchant weapons and armors, the only interesting ones are those with unique and special skills which you can't replicate via enchanting (though, if it is easy to enchant anything to "Fine", "Exceptional" and "Superb" are a bit/lot harder to get).

Regarding the anvils: it represents the enchantment limit of a weapon/armor. Whatever you do, you can't enchant beyond the 12 anvils limit. Each enchantment takes a certain number of anvils (for example, Fine is 2, Exceptional is 4, Superb is 8,the "Lash" attributes take 2, etc). While you can always improve the quality line of enchantment of an item (you can transform a Accurate/Damage/Fine weapon to an Exceptional weapon, removing the old enchantment in the process), you can't remove the others. Please note that weapons or armors with unique enchantments take a certain number of anvils.

You will want to find unique items, which offer greater or unique bonuses than the regular ones you may find during your adventures. Most armors and accessories are unique in nature, granting better bonuses than the ones you could enchant. As for weapons, you will find a lot of "Fine" ones. You need to look for the ones who have special names: in almost all cases, they have unique abilities (exception: Durance's Staff, which is just a regular quarterstaff with a Burning Lash enchantment on it; if the weapon has a normal description instead of an unique one, it isn't special). Once you find a great weapon, enchant it to "Fine" it is doesn't have that bonus yet (though if it has something like Damage 3, forget about the Fine enchantment), and consider if you want to keep it to the end-game (keep in mind that enchanting a weapon to Exceptional or Superb is costly, and requires very, very rare materials, you won't be able to enchant everything to Superb).

robin2

Looks like I'm the only one who likes the engagement system.

What would be the alternative, nothing at all (IIRC) like in the classic infinity games or an aggro-system (whatever is called) like DAO?

Moff

DAO had a very MMO like aggro system, it gave you more control through taunts so I actually preferred that. I liked pillars' engagement system, too, though.

Varna

Would I be able to use GeDoSaTo to simply force true fullscreen mode for this game? I'm just trying to get g-sync to work. How would I go about disabling any kind of downsampling?

MartyStu

That critique only begins to be valid in a world where cRPGs are being produced at any actual rate.

We do not live in that world. We have not lived in that world since the late 90s.

Zukuu

Banned
Well, since you can enchant weapons and armors, the only interesting ones are those with unique and special skills which you can't replicate via enchanting (though, if it is easy to enchant anything to "Fine", "Exceptional" and "Superb" are a bit/lot harder to get).

Regarding the anvils: it represents the enchantment limit of a weapon/armor. Whatever you do, you can't enchant beyond the 12 anvils limit. Each enchantment takes a certain number of anvils (for example, Fine is 2, Exceptional is 4, Superb is 8,the "Lash" attributes take 2, etc). While you can always improve the quality line of enchantment of an item (you can transform a Accurate/Damage/Fine weapon to an Exceptional weapon, removing the old enchantment in the process), you can't remove the others. Please note that weapons or armors with unique enchantments take a certain number of anvils.

You will want to find unique items, which offer greater or unique bonuses than the regular ones you may find during your adventures. Most armors and accessories are unique in nature, granting better bonuses than the ones you could enchant. As for weapons, you will find a lot of "Fine" ones. You need to look for the ones who have special names: in almost all cases, they have unique abilities (exception: Durance's Staff, which is just a regular quarterstaff with a Burning Lash enchantment on it; if the weapon has a normal description instead of an unique one, it isn't special). Once you find a great weapon, enchant it to "Fine" it is doesn't have that bonus yet (though if it has something like Damage 3, forget about the Fine enchantment), and consider if you want to keep it to the end-game (keep in mind that enchanting a weapon to Exceptional or Superb is costly, and requires very, very rare materials, you won't be able to enchant everything to Superb).

I figured the anvils out myself earlier, but thanks for the info regarding the unique items. I can't make out where to find the Traitor's Merit Pollaxe, which is the only 'unique' weapon in that category that seems to be of value. Half-Mast would be the second, although inferior choice.

Anyone knows when/where to find it? I don't want to waste my enchantment stuff.

edit:
Is there a mod that disables the Fog of War of EXPLORED locations?

Noaloha

In Eothas temple there are rooms with 4-5 shadows...I keep dying. Is there a trick to them?

From what I remember, there're two types, weak and strong, shadows and shades respectively I think? And the weaker ones are spawned by the stronger ones every once in a while? Don't take my word on that, it's just what it felt like when I was fighting them (as far as I recall). I distinctly remember that I chose to focus entirely on the stronger ghosts and that got me through. I was low level (hadn't left town before I finished it), did the dungeon in one visit, on Hard, but I had also bumped my party up with two henchmen.

I returned there after getting Durance and it went fine. Though my Wizard dies too much lol

I also just realized that chanter/wizard spells are once per rest. jeez.

I returned there after getting Durance and it went fine. Though my Wizard dies too much lol

I also just realized that chanter/wizard spells are once per rest. jeez.
Chanter spells are not once per rest. There's a per-encounter resource you earn over time by chanting. You'll see the number count up in the corner of their portrait.

Agremont

Finally got my collectors edition box. Nice box although a bit empty. The game disc better come in a big box otherwise there's going to be a huge amount of wasted space inside.

I must say I'm disappointed from the dragons in this game.

In D&D, they are extremely intelligent,far more than any human.
In pillars they sound like retarded kids.

Nohar

I must say I'm disappointed from the dragons in this game.

In D&D, they are extremely intelligent,far more than any human.
In pillars they sound like retarded kids.

I agree. I was quite disappointed too (though I did not meet the
Adra Dragon
yet). Overall the game lacks interesting antagonists. Sure, we have
Thaos
, but we are nothing more than a nuisance to him, and Raedric, who remains a sidequest.

Anyhow, I wish Obsidian would take about their plans for the future (and patch 1.05), though all things considered it has only been a month since the game's release.

Can anyone comment on the Guidebook Volume 1 that was released by Obsidian? If I already own the Prima Collector's Edition guide is there any reason to get the other book? I understand the Guidebook is not actually a guide, but how much lore, back story and detail about the companions, world and it's history, etc does it offer that the Prima guide doesn't?

Thanks.

Top Bottom