• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
WHat class are you folks starting up with?

Rogue-ing it up as an Orlan. My biggest concern is portrait. I've already obsessively planned out my stats, talents and abilities to max level. But I can't find a portrait I love.

I have 4 1/2 hours till I get home, that might be enough time to find something good.

Violet_0

Banned
dat stats
UbDMiTt.jpg

here we go

Has the game crashed on Character Creation for anyone else? It's happened to me twice already. Obsidian bugs from the beginning. Heh.

Burt

You can't tell me that opening isn't narrated by Alec Baldwin. I don't believe you.

"Pillars of Tenenbaums"

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, how do you get the backer DLC stuff? It all just says "Not installed" for me. Just want the dumb ingame items before I start

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After stumbling on it, this is totally my portrait:
0kd7PfO.png

A friendly looking frazzled dwarf who no-one expects to be a powerhouse of martial prowess

Anyone know how to unlock the Kickstarter backer achievement?

I generated my Steam backer key from the Obisidan site, and when I claimed it, it was the "Kickstarter Hero Edition". I'm assuming you just start a new game to unlock it? I thought launching the game the first time would activate it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I always play fighter in my RPGs, but I am tempted to be a wizard this time.

Decisions, decisions.

Chanters, and Priests kind of, can be built to be melee magic users. Ciphers are pretty squishy like Wizards but may also be doable if you're careful. So you could do hybrid of Fighter/Mage sort of.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As if the reviews (93 on Metacritic!) didn't already indicate this - I can vouch:

Pillars of Eternity is indeed the real deal. It's probably the best CRPG released in a decade.

I can't really gush about it enough:

• Crunchy, satisfying combat that requires smart positioning, party synergy, and skill management even when playing on normal.
  • Fantastic sense of adventure and exploration.
  • Wonderful characterization within both your own party and the wider world. The dialogue trees branch farther and more often than they really feel like they have any right to.
  • Top-tier world build and depth of lore.

It essentially delivers on all fronts. Lengthy dungeons, a huge stronghold management metagame, classes that are both original and adhere to RPG archetypes, a deep and rewarding crafting system. The list goes on.

In one of the first areas of the game I stumbled into a bear cave and got wrecked a couple of times before finally giving up and vowing to come back later. There is 0 level scaling, so that sense of danger and exploration is back. And, although I didn't try, I have to assume I could have stealthed my way past the bear. Or Charmed him. Or rooted him. And then I could have seen what was back there.

Best of all, that tiny bear cave cropped up not one but twice in the little mini-storyline of that wilderness region and the accompanying town (very minor sidequest spoilers):

A nearby hunter tells you a sob story about how he was out with his friend and the bear was upon them before they even knew what was happening. He barely escaped (no pun intended), while his friend was unfortunately killed. At the time I chalked this up to a nice little bonus flavor - the convo didn't even give me a sidequest to go kill the bear.

But then, in the nearby town, I wandered into a house of my own accord. There I found the same hunter and the dead hunter's wife. They were drinking wine and packing - making preparations to skip town.

So... make of that what you will.

Kimaka

I've reloaded four times trying to pick the right Artist background during the character building conversation. Too many options. This warms my heart.

Joey Ravn

Banned
WHat class are you folks starting up with?

My first character is Reyleth, a female Elf (the snowy kind). She's an ex-Raider, dual-wielding Rogue. Honestly, though, I'm just trying the game and how it works. I really like the idea of trying a Godlike Cipher, but I don't know if such a "unique" archetype will be easy enough to control for my first playthrough.

ZZMitch

I haven't thought too much about my character except that's its going to be a ranger with Evilores face as my picture...

This is gunna take a while.

verbatimo

Anyone else have a problem, when trying to loot corpse? I can't see enemy's stash.

Strange.

[edit]
Nevermind, exiting the game and loading seems to fix it.

aravuus

It's awesome that the game just rolls with this choice and keeps on going.

Yep, it's pretty insane

Got a notification about fatigue, but I'm a bit confused. If fatigue has a negative effect on someone, where do I see what the effect is? Characters active effects tab?

Almighty

Well I just ran into a bug(at least I think it is a bug) where the screen goes bluish when my characters move anywhere. Hopefully updating my video driver fixes it or I will be one sad panda.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Like 30 minutes in I'm already 100% convinced that this game is everything it had aspired to be. It's a beautiful thing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yep, it's pretty insane

Got a notification about fatigue, but I'm a bit confused. If fatigue has a negative effect on someone, where do I see what the effect is? Characters active effects tab?

That or a little icon next to their portrait.

Just started this up and just 2 little things that have impressed me:

1.) The mouse movement even in the menus feels super crisp! I don't know why I noticed this but its just really nice!

2.) Its great having the popups on certain keywords even just in the character creation menu. That's just a super intuitive feature that more RPGs need to adopt right now.

Bl@de

I just restarted for the third time.

Better sooner than later. I played Wasteland 2 for 20h until I noticed my party was utter crap. Have to really take my time with PoE when creating one.
I know, I will restart anyway *sigh*

human/mage/old vailiat artist

hope it's not too boring/lame
Most Vailian names sound Italian, with French/Catalan twists. There are some examples on this page:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

The character I'm probably going with it is Vailian. Her name is Arlecchina.

Hi guys, downloading now.

QQ - do stats affect dialog options?
Your gender, race, class, attributes, background, culture, skills and maybe some other stuff all affect dialogue. Attributes more than most.

erragal

18 might, 10 con, 10 dex, 6 per 20 int, 14 resolve. Gotta get those giant druid nukes rolling.I also love the dialogue potential for this character...so many ways to intimidate people. Excited to see the paths I can tread.

Altazor

GICE I PLAYED 30 MINUTES AND REALIZED THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME. I WANT A REFUND, WHAT DO?

j/k, I have to do other stuff now. Sadly. Real life. Ugh.

Top Bottom