• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Original Sin is a great game despite its many issues, mostly thanks to the fun and inventive turn-based combat system and the wonderful full-campaign co-op option. Larian have everything to be proud of, and OS fully deserved its success and recognition and was one of the best games of 2014 for certain.

That being said, I'm laughing giddily even attempting to compare it to PoE's tutorial because I don't think my brain can yet reconcile how this game actually exists in the world.

I'm still at work and you are the demons

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
3 more hours until freedom. Clock, please tick faster.

terrisus

Well, I finally finished putting together my character.

Just my fairly standard Wood Elf Fighter with high Might, medium Perception and Resolve, and low everything else.
18, 11, 11, 14, 11, 13. Old Vailia - Aristocrat

Irobot82

I watched a little of Giant Bomb playing and they had one in the group that they "made" at an INN? There is still hope.

For clarification, you don't need a rogues for sneaking, detecting/disarming traps and lockpicking. Anyone can have those skills.

Durante

wow I'm at the starting camp and already my jaw floor is on the floor. It's like 1998 all over again.
It's more impressive than that. It's like you remember 1998 being, not like it actually was.

(Also, I laugh at the whole "no dump stats" thing, my Wizard has 3 constitution)

Could someone help me out with this portrait?

6da832aff628454ac84869bc6bddaf.png

4th on the first (second?) row. I'm really awful at resizing stuff and the small portrait keeps coming out wonky for me.

Each portrait comes formatted in PNG and measures at 210 x 330 pixels, with the smaller in-game UI portraits measuring at 76 x 96 pixels.

This is all I need and I'm good to go in the game. Please save me. ;;

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know there is the intro video of the developpement of the game but when will we get the entire documentary ?

It's currently showing as available in the backer portal.

Ourobolus

Banned
Valice the Coastal Aumaua Monk cannot wait to get this shit started in a few hours.

Definitely going Hard mode on the first time through. May leave Expert off for now though - kinda want to get myself situated.

Lime

In 1998 Planescape Torment and Mask of the Betrayer didnt exist. I dont wanna think about such dark days.

eh '98 was good - pretty bright actually. BG, Grim Fandango, HL, Thief, Fallout 2. And that's not counting the games preceding 1998.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
That was one of my early character sketches. She was female and used the scarred, bouffant dwarf portrait. Good luck!

It is a classic top-down roleplaying game, of which there have been relatively few good examples in the 21st century. It does not have a cover system.

Is it sort of like Magicka? That game is also developed by Paradox if I remember correctly.

Torraz

Any input on wizard starting spells? The oil slick, fan of flames and magic missile sound like classics, but are they decent picks?

Durante

Any input on wizard starting spells? The oil slick, fan of flames and magic missile sound like classics, but are they decent picks?
The oil slick is amazing. Personally, I just took everything which is AoE, because that's how I roll (and got to get some use out of that 20 int).

Anoregon

I think I've finally settled on stats for my Chanter (before any racial bonuses): 14might, 12con, 16 int, 13 resolve.

I am sure I will change my mind by the time I get home.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ha, I'm finally done with real life, fuck it.

Any tips on Monk stats? I'm thinking going 14 Might, 17 CON, 17 DEX (10 everything else). Resolve sounds cool but since Monks need to be hit, should I care? A couple of points in it maybe? Or maybe reduce?

I was going to do something similar, but I'll probably take a point or two out of CON/DEX and throw it into Perception for the Interrupt chance.

terrisus

A close parenthesis without a corresponding open parenthesis!

s0ufRAE.jpg

How did this get through‽
Game ruined!

(Kidding, of course :þ)

Torraz

Those are all solid. Oil slick is super useful.

The oil slick is amazing. Personally, I just took everything which is AoE, because that's how I roll (and got to get some use out of that 20 int).

Thanks! Going with those three and ghostly blades.

Hope the wizard isnt too squishy with 3 int... Should have massive AoE and damaging capabilities though, as well as massive speed (focused on int, dex, might).

Almighty

Well either updating my video driver or restarting the game fixed that bug I was having. I have only put in an hour so far, but I think this game is going to steal quite a bit of time from me. It is also very pretty, even more so then the videos made it looked. I am impressed.

arkon

Is it sort of like Magicka? That game is also developed by Paradox if I remember correctly.

Magicka from what I know is more action/adventure and no RPG elements(?). This is similar to the old Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate. Also this isn't developed by Paradox, it's been done by Obsidian.

Tommyhawk

Wow, this is exactly what I was hopping for. This game truly delivers.

sogood.gif

And I absolutely adore the hand painted decision moments, such a brilliant idea!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So does 15 - 13 - 16 - 12 - 10 - 12 look like a gawdaful set of stats for a Monk? I just went with my basic "put a lot of points into stuff I think is important and a handful into the other skills in case I get screwed later" strategy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I love all these safe Attribute spreads. I know I don't need go nuts but I'm excited to see how well my crazy Orlan Rogue build fairs in the game.

M-17, C-3, D-19, P-20, I-3, R-16 for reference.

Under 4 hours till I'm home.

Corto

Here we are! The wait is over and finally we can play this game. I won't play anything else until I finish my adventure with my Fire Godlike Wizard. Thanks Shagg for the logistics of the Goose and Fox campaign, it was a riot to be a (small) part of that, thanks Evilore for this fantastic OT and thanks Obsidian for your hard work and love for these games! Now farewell that I need to go back to Eora...

The music was so good I stayed on the main menu for a good while.
Started char creation, took a massive dump, showered, ate dinner, and just now completed. Decided to go with a Godlike fighter as I figured I need some time to ease back in this type of game.

Sadly now I have to finish Child of Light before I jumped back in to spare me that nagging feeling of never finishing game anymore.

That intro alone already made mumble yes yes yes.

Fuck.

deleted

MAKE SURE TO TURN ON DEVELOPER COMMENTARY UNDER THE GAME OPTIONS

IT'S DISABLED BY DEFAULT

<3

I don't know, that's normally a bit spoilerish for a first playthrough. Also it would take me out of the atmosphere if every half an hour the devs would phone in..

Tom Penny

I didn't even know this game existed but I want it. I need a good RPG. Original sin was good but I hope this game doesn't have ridiculous puzzles like that one and is a little more intuitive. Dragon Age failed me from a performance perspective so I quit.

Almighty

MAKE SURE TO TURN ON DEVELOPER COMMENTARY UNDER THE GAME OPTIONS

IT'S DISABLED BY DEFAULT

<3

On a first playthough? You're crazy. Though thanks for pointing it out because I didn't notice that option and I will be doing that on my second or third playthrough.

Top Bottom