• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man I kind of want this game. All I have is a 2012 Macbook Air, and a Surface Pro 3 (i7). Will either of those run it at a decent framerate?

Glad it's my birthday today so I can play this without upsetting the lady and without interruption. Most of my free playing time is going to be spent in character creation though.... I have a problem with perfection. Hopefully I'll have time to actually play it.

I never thought I would be playing a new game like this in this day and age and I feel like a kid again. How's everyone liking it so far? Is it everything you've ever dreamed and more?

rybrad

Anyone else having issues with multiple monitors and screen edge scrolling? It doesn't look the cursor to the window but about half of the time it will still scroll with the mouse off the screen. The other half of the time I have to get it just right at the edge to scroll which makes it rather annoying. I would prefer to just lock the cursor to the window but I can't seem to find an option for that.

Edit: Nevermind I guess I just missed the option like a dummy, crisis averted.

Anyone else having issues with multiple monitors and screen edge scrolling? It doesn't look the cursor to the window but about half of the time it will still scroll with the mouse off the screen. The other half of the time I have to get it just right at the edge to scroll which makes it rather annoying. I would prefer to just lock the cursor to the window but I can't seem to find an option for that.
There is a cage cursor option in there somewhere, but I think Sensuki said it was bugged.

I'm feeling kinda bummed out that there's no Rogue companion. If I want to do a hard playthrough, I feel obligated to have my main character a rogue, rather than my preferred class.

The hard setting implies that you'll have to min/max (to a degree). So I assume doubling up on a DPS class, and missing a rogue / scout is a big deal. What's everyone else doing?

Anno

Isn't that what the cage cursor option is? Though someone said it was bugged in beta and kept resetting.

Gothos

There is an option to lock cursor. It's in Graphics section of the options.

Kimaka

Most Vailian names sound Italian, with French/Catalan twists. There are some examples on this page:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

The character I'm probably going with it is Vailian. Her name is Arlecchina.

Your gender, race, class, attributes, background, culture, skills and maybe some other stuff all affect dialogue. Attributes more than most.

So many Vailian characters. Mine is Anaïs Catarina Magistrelli.

It is bugged. I just turned off Edge Scrolling.

lazygecko

Is the dialogue audio wonky for anyone else? I know that they won't always recite all of the displayed text, but sometimes it's as if starts very abruptly right in the middle of a word.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And thus the journey of the dwarven monk Kheld Ironfounderson begins

...as soon as I get home from work tonight and can actually start playing

I haven't played yet but I would guess if you double click the character portrait it will center on the person, but it won't follow him.

Yeah that centers on the character. Really want an option to keep centered on them while moving. Especially since the keys for scrolling are arrow keys and I'm right handed. Wasteland 2 had this option.

fantomena

Got some questions I hope some can answer:

1) How do I save?
2) How do I rest and what consumables give me less fatigue?
3) How do I block or is that sort of stuff done automatically in battle?
4) How do I get more health?

Salsa

mh, okay, yeah

I think im gonna restart as just a male human fighter to get the gist of this new not dnd system

i'll come back to ya lady elf rogue. maybe.

I very much disliked Divinity Original Sin due to its total lack of direction, no hints, walls of boring and repetitive text, and extremely vague logs/objectives

Does Pillars fare better in this regard?

Spookie

2) How do I rest and what consumables give me less fatigue?
3) How do I block or is that sort of stuff done automatically in battle?
4) How do I get more health?

2) Buy camping equipment from stores.
3) Done via deflection, part of your skills, buffs, items. Then a dice roll.
4) Rest. You can't refill health. You regain endurance.

Salsa

I very much disliked Divinity Original Sin due to its total lack of direction, no hints, walls of boring and repetitive text, and extremely vague logs/objectives

if you dont find anything salvageable in those methods you're probably not gonna like it

tho, this being Obsidian, it's bound to be better written than Divinity

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm feeling kinda bummed out that there's no Rogue companion. If I want to do a hard playthrough, I feel obligated to have my main character a rogue, rather than my preferred class.

The hard setting implies that you'll have to min/max (to a degree). So I assume doubling up on a DPS class, and missing a rogue / scout is a big deal. What's everyone else doing?

Even Normal can be fairly hard, so I would assume that Hard is quite hard.

I WOULDN'T assume a rogue is mandatory, though. There are more classes than there are party slots, so although I haven't played Hard, I can't imagine it's tuned in such a way to require that degree of min/maxxing.

And besides, if a Hard playthrough is your 2nd playthrough, you'll probably want to roll up a custom party at an inn anyway.

Wow Neogaf really had a lot to do with this game becoming a reality, really appreciate the effort guys, this game is going to be great!

Just alt-tabbing to say that (i) it's soooooo good and (ii) 4 casts per rest with no way of resting sucks :p

Yeah I let out an audible "OH NO" when I used my spells on the first few guys and realized there was still a LOT of fighting left until I could get a camping set. Thankfully there's a mage spell you can always use 2 times per fight.

vocab

Which is ironic because that's why I love that game. This game is meaty in the text department. I highly doubt you'll get lost though.

chifanpoe

Yeah I let out an audible "OH NO" when I used my spells on the first few guys and realized there was still a LOT of fighting left until I could get a camping set. Thankfully there's a mage spell you can always use 2 times per fight.

Good to know, building a mage when I get home from work.. Gah work..

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
YESSSSS. The one true OT title is here!

The more I think about my starting character the more I want to make a rogue. I won't overlap with companions (not that I care too much about that anyhow -- I'll end up playing a mostly created party for twinking fun later), the skills seem really fun and I get to have a designated scout which seems like it will come in handy.

Dr Dogg

Well I can dig in a couple of hours tonight before work gets in the way of fun. Must resist the urge to look at all the spoilery goodies :(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Original Sin is a great game despite its many issues, mostly thanks to the fun and inventive turn-based combat system and the wonderful full-campaign co-op option. Larian have everything to be proud of, and OS fully deserved its success and recognition and was one of the best games of 2014 for certain.

That being said, I'm laughing giddily even attempting to compare it to PoE's tutorial because I don't think my brain can yet reconcile how this game actually exists in the world.

Salsa

I watched a little of Giant Bomb playing and they had one in the group that they "made" at an INN? There is still hope.

you can recruit custom created characters at INNs yeah, not unlike Divinity

still tho a proper main game rogue with a backstory would be nice, i'd rather fill my party with those

Ha, I'm finally done with real life, fuck it.

Any tips on Monk stats? I'm thinking going 14 Might, 17 CON, 17 DEX (10 everything else). Resolve sounds cool but since Monks need to be hit, should I care? A couple of points in it maybe? Or maybe reduce?

Top Bottom