• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Could someone kindly do a favour for me? I'd love a screenshot of the in-game Graphics options; I can't find any info regarding them :eek:

Are there toggles for shadows, details, etc.?

Dunbar

I'll be curious to see whether or not Obsidian was successful in their goal of making it impossible to screw yourself through party creation and character upgrades. It's nice that they tried, but it sounds like a tall order to me, especially with so many first-time CRPG players jumping in. This thread should be pretty interesting 7-10 days from now. :)

I love all these safe Attribute spreads. I know I don't need go nuts but I'm excited to see how well my crazy Orlan Rogue build fairs in the game.

M-17, C-3, D-19, P-20, I-3, R-16 for reference.

Under 4 hours till I'm home.

That's like a jellyfish swimming in cocaine. I like it. (I honestly didn't realize the game was going to let us dump stats that heavily).

I'll probably shoot for something like an M20, C14, D16 fighter to start. Reading this thread is not good for my health today.

Violet_0

Banned
finished the first 'tutorial' dungeon, this game is so freaking good. Feels pretty much exactly like playing a IE game

love the chanter so far, the phantom summon is really strong at lower levels

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'll be curious to see whether or not Obsidian was successful in their goal of making it impossible to screw yourself through party creation and character upgrades. It's nice that they tried, but it sounds like a tall order to me, especially with so many first-time CRPG players jumping in. This thread should be pretty interesting 7-10 days from now. :)

The attribute system really does seem to be set up in a way that it is very hard to make a terrible character, at least.

Almighty

Could someone kindly do a favour for me? I'd love a screenshot of the in-game Graphics options; I can't find any info regarding them :eek:

Are there toggles for shadows, details, etc.?

Here ya go

YD16CaT.jpg

kd-z

Oh my god I should've know it would end like this, i can't decide who I want to play as. So many cool options!

Will probably end up as a borin' ol' humie.

chifanpoe

I love all these safe Attribute spreads. I know I don't need go nuts but I'm excited to see how well my crazy Orlan Rogue build fairs in the game.

M-17, C-3, D-19, P-20, I-3, R-16 for reference.

Under 4 hours till I'm home.

That looks like a fun build!

deleted

The attribute system really does seem to be set up in a way that it is very hard to make a terrible character, at least.

I'll post mine again - will I manage? I don't want to sink hours into the game, only to see myself failing due to character creation mistakes at the start..

Not unless you have a very specific combat-oriented build in mind. You'll be fine.

Puh, thanks! The game is not easy to dive into, but I enjoy the combat so far. Maybe I'll dial up to higher difficulty later.

Also: Since all backers get the first achievement and we know the number of backers, we should be able to guess the sales of the game pretty good in a few weeks.

terrisus

What is it, exactly?

It's developer commentary :þ

Isn't it going to spoil things?

I don't know, that's normally a bit spoilerish for a first playthrough. Also it would take me out of the atmosphere if every half an hour the devs would phone in..

For a first playthrough though idk.

Ah, fair enough. To each their own I suppose.
Still, it's at least an option that one should be aware of.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Silly question time but anyone got any idea how to access the extra goodies like the making of documentary etc ? Can't find it in the steam folder or is it coming later ?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'll post mine again - will I manage? I don't want to sink hours into the game, only to see myself failing due to character creation mistakes at the start..

Puh, thanks! The game is not easy to dive into, but I enjoy the combat so far. Maybe I'll dial up to higher difficulty later.

I see no reason your build would have any specific troubles.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's like a jellyfish swimming in cocaine. I like it. (I honestly didn't realize the game was going to let us dump stats that heavily).

I'll probably shoot for something like an M20, C14, D16 fighter to start. Reading this thread is not good for my health today.

I look forward to the challenge. It will probably be a bit iffy in the start without a lot of necessary talents and abilities, as well as a full party to engage the enemy so I can go unmolested and stab people from behind.

Hm, I see stats all around near 20.. Should I have my most important stats near 20? My highest is 16 atm.

You might. Depends on what you want them to do in combat and how you envision them fighting. For RPing you might need higher numbers to pass certain speech checks, we've seen a couple in the Backer Beta that required 16 Resolve and 14 Intellect and stuff so that might be something to consider.

BUT the game does offer a lot of ways to temporarily and semi permanently increase attributes so I wouldn't worry about it.

Dunbar

Silly question time but anyone got any idea how to access the extra goodies like the making of documentary etc ? Can't find it in the steam folder or is it coming later ?
Check out the Products page of your account on eternity.obsidian.net

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Any advice for starting stats on a pally? These stats are different than most RPGs.

Also, there is no rogue companion? Yikes. I'm assuming there are at least some that can pick chests/locks?

taa0098

Neo Member
Loving it so far. Just got my first level up, is putting points into 2 skills gonna screw me? Or should I just focus on one skill?

These attributes are fine. You've prioritized two of the three most important numbers for most Rogues — MIG, DEX, INT. For reference, I'm planning on 16-9-16-12-14-11 or something for mine, which is very similar.

Any advice for starting stats on a pally? These stats are different than most RPGs.

Also, there is no rogue companion? Yikes. I'm assuming there are at least some that can pick chests/locks?
Anyone who takes Mechanics can pick chests/locks (and you can use lockpicks to make it easier). There are no class restrictions on skills.

taa0098

Neo Member

All characters can learn how to do that through the mechanics skill, so that's not too big of a deal.

Alrus

So first hour on hard, made a Moon Godlike Cipher. Kinda miffed I took Antipathetic Field because I always end up fucking myself up when using it... Finished the first "dungeon" I guess, messed up some fights but overall it wasn't too challenging obviously.

I'm still a bit confused by the weapon/armor system... Anyone can use anything pretty much?

Shepard

I chose to be a badass Paladin but I'm too soft for this... Now everyone is going to mock me at the inn, based on my Benevolent reputation. :C

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I chose to be a badass Paladin but I'm too soft for this... Now everyone is going to mock me at the inn, based on my Benevolent reputation. :C

Bleak Walker breh. Nobody messes with Bleak Walkers.

Kimaka

You'll have to download it. You can see what extras you have under the DLC tab under the game's properties. Check which ones you want to install.

I'm still a bit confused by the weapon/armor system... Anyone can use anything pretty much?
Yes, although there are obviously synergies between certain kinds of builds and certain equipment. You absolutely can put plate mail on your Cipher if you want to, but their cast times for powers will rocket up.

ICKE

Banned
GET THIS GAME NOW

I'm still in the opening 15 minutes and already know this will be my GOTY.

My God this game is beautiful too.

giphy.gif

I've waited for so long ;_;

Rolling with a paladin. I am so hype!

Spookie

Decided to go with a fighter, after much deliberation.

Con isn't as important as you'd think. I'd put more points elsewhere.

You'll be resting a lot without a bit of deflection

Happy that everyone is pumped playing this game, I enjoyed my time with the backers beta but I'm gutted I'm in work for another 4 hours.

Anoregon

Thanks. I wish GOG would get a client to manage updates/patching/organizing games already. I may be in the minority.

I mean, if you want that sort of thing, you should probably just be using steam in the first place.

Con isn't as important as you'd think. I'd put more points elsewhere.

You'll be resting a lot without a bit of deflection

Happy that everyone is pumped playing this game, I enjoyed my time with the backers beta but I'm gutted I'm in work for another 4 hours.

Yeah I'm actually thinking about leaving con at 10 on my char and putting the points I was going to put there into perception. So basically 14 might/per/res, 16 int, 10 con/dex.

deleted

These attributes are fine. You've prioritized two of the three most important numbers for most Rogues — MIG, DEX, INT. For reference, I'm planning on 16-9-16-12-14-11 or something for mine, which is very similar.

Anyone who takes Mechanics can pick chests/locks (and you can use lockpicks to make it easier). There are no class restrictions on skills.

I look forward to the challenge. It will probably be a bit iffy in the start without a lot of necessary talents and abilities, as well as a full party to engage the enemy so I can go unmolested and stab people from behind.

You might. Depends on what you want them to do in combat and how you envision them fighting. For RPing you might need higher numbers to pass certain speech checks, we've seen a couple in the Backer Beta that required 16 Resolve and 14 Intellect and stuff so that might be something to consider.

BUT the game does offer a lot of ways to temporarily and semi permanently increase attributes so I wouldn't worry about it.

I see no reason your build would have any specific troubles.

Okay, I'll play with these stats then. Let the fun begin :)

Volodja

Using a character based on the Sensuki's Summoner/Tank Chanter build.
Just played through the first area (meaning up until you have to use the global map) and it's going pretty smoothly.

About the first companions you get,
they sure died unceremoniously. Fine by me, flying solo for a while, I guess.
Sadly I'll have to stop for now and keep on going when I come back home in a few hours.

Spookie

Yeah I'm actually thinking about leaving con at 10 on my char and putting the points I was going to put there into perception. So basically 14 might/per/res, 16 int, 10 con/dex.

You can get away with a lot of con on Barbs and Monks I think since they both have mechanics which negate how much HP you loose when you take a knock to endurance.

Bu-bu-but it's HP! :-S

A pro doesn't get hit. ;)

Eusis

eh '98 was good - pretty bright actually. BG, Grim Fandango, HL, Thief, Fallout 2. And that's not counting the games preceding 1998.
It was one of the best years ever regardless of your tastes in gaming at the time (I guess I can see modern people full on into AAA games not liking it), though the fact Planescape Torment came out the next year with Deus Ex the immediate following year shows just how insane that period in time was for great gaming.

Ozigizo

Has anyone else had an audio bug? The VO takes like 4-5 seconds to hit after dialog is displayed.

It also takes about 10 seconds for the inventory to load after I open it.

Top Bottom