• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Kinthalis

Banned
14620266173_60d45c306c_o.gif

God damn, that gif. I sat through the whole thing.

Oh, man. What a gif.

Ahem.

I dunno; the writing seems rather flowery and self-indulgent, but at the same time it's been very consistent so far, which gives it a real atmosphere, as if it's your own character interpreting these experiences. The writing is also real good, too, which helps a lot. It reminds me of a more in-depth Shadowrun game.

The only thing that really bothers me so far, aside from the text ligatures, is the backer-related stuff that's totally immersion-breaking.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'd suggest buffing his int for a gimmick build. Though they are great, I've not seen any problems with accuracy like you'd see in D&D games when playing the backers beta.

Ok sweet, I was kinda worried it would be like "MISS MISS MISS" haha but I love my melee!

I dunno; the writing seems rather flowery and self-indulgent, but at the same time it's been very consistent so far, which gives it a real atmosphere, as if it's your own character interpreting these experiences. The writing is also real good, too, which helps a lot. It reminds me of a more in-depth Shadowrun game.

Yeah, and given the zoomed out view and lack of any sort of modern 3D cutscenes or anything, all that flavor text does a good job of offering a good amount of mental imagery for all the scenes. Having the writing be a bit over descriptive is a good thing in a game like this I think.

Arcteryx

Oh, man. What a gif.

Ahem.

The only thing that really bothers me so far, aside from the text ligatures, is the backer-related stuff that's totally immersion-breaking.

Like what?

Oh, man. What a gif.

Ahem.

You can turn off the text ligatures in the options menu if you want.

pahamrick

This game, Obsidian really nailed it.

I've played for over 4 hours and I'm still only in
that very first village you go to, where you get your first two companions.

Despite saying I was going to start on Normal, I started on Hard just to see how I'd manage. So far I've been doing okay, only one death and thats because I wandered into a cave solo I really shouldn't have gone into solo.

Being limited in the amount of camping gear on Hard (2) really means I have to be careful about things.

Like what?

Shortly after the intro you'll start running into it. Stuff like
NPCs with little stories attached to them, or gravestones with a name and a poem.
Some of them have really uneven writing or are completely fiction-breaking.

It's a bit of a bummer, like all in-game backer rewards (aside from the kickass portraits).
You can turn off the text ligatures in the options menu if you want.

Fortunately, a couple kind souls pointed that out to me a page or two ago. But thanks!

Cdammen

I'm surprised by how great the music and sound effects are. Too bad it's not mixed for surround, would give it an even better atmosphere to the game.

I'm also surprised by how Infinity Engine-esque the game is. I got a warm feeling when I saw the mouse cursor, troop movement, and when I pressed space to continue dialogue :)

Krelian91

Nope, game keeps crashing almost every time I try to access Gilded Vale. I'll wait until this gets fixed before I go on, I don't want to find any more similar surprises.

Blizzard

Banned
Here's a question I'm sure will anger some of the purists or whatever, so I'm gonna spoiler tag it lol

Is there a way to get unlimited rests/camping things
? I want to try playing the game on hard the way that the difficulty comes from the hard encounters, not from trying to manage a balance between resting and.. Not resting.

I suppose I could do it with a console command, but I don't know how to open the console
I'm interested in this too. Ignorant question, is there a limited number of
rests/camping
over the entire game, and once you run out, you're done?

I'm also still interested in whether you can respec abilities, but I am assuming that you cannot. Google turned up some threads discussing it, but it basically came down to "not as far as we know", which makes sense.

Blizzard

Banned
Well...that's disappointing.

Possible to disable that?
An option to disable would be nice.

Nope, game keeps crashing almost every time I try to access Gilded Vale. I'll wait until this gets fixed before I go on, I don't want to find any more similar surprises.
oh wow at the framerate chuggin when you get to the tree, lol, wasnt expecting it

Perhaps these two things are related? What are your PC specs, Krelian91?

pahamrick

I'm interested in this too. Ignorant question, is there a limited number of
rests/camping
over the entire game, and once you run out, you're done?

I'm also still interested in whether you can respec abilities, but I am assuming that you cannot. Google turned up some threads discussing it, but it basically came down to "not as far as we know", which makes sense.

For camping, you need camping gear. The amount of gear you can carry is limited by the difficulty (On Hard you can only carry 2 sets, for example) but you can buy and find more camping gear easily enough. You can also rest at Inns. There are rooms that are free, but there are also rooms that cost money and those rooms will give a stat buff to the entire team.

For example, one of the rooms I stayed in cost 100 copper, but gave a +1 mechanics boost to my entire time.

Also, no problems with crashing in Gilded Vale for me. No framerate chugs, but my GPU fans go crazy.

Performance is surprisingly solid on my 2010 Macbook. Graphics all look fine. The framerate takes a hit, but its consistent, and its a fucking RPG, the framerate isn't going to kill the experience for me

This is how I am. I'm getting fluctuations of like 20 to 35 fps in the starting area. It's playable on my laptop. I'm using my work computer for work, go figure, or I would be using that to play.

Off topic but does anyone know when the new intel cpu's come out? I heard quarter 2 but is that just a rumor? I haven't upgraded in a while and I need a new pc so I can play everything when I want to.

Dreavus

I have backed this, but probably still won't get to it for a while.

I just wanted to pop in and say the name and design for the GAF inn is fantastic. Completely non-obtrusive, yet still manages to get a subtle nod in there with that name. The logo is even reminiscent of the site colours :D

Almighty

Well I was wrong that bug I ran into where my screen goes bluish when my character moves is back. The good news is a quick save and reload fixes it and it doesn't happen too often, but it is slightly annoying. I think I will have to see if someone has reported it on Obsidian's forums already.

Wow, unpacking is taking its sweet time. :(

Also, backer content really needs to be firewalled off somehow, or they need to rethink what people can insert into their gameworld. It really kills the immersion for me.

hemtae

This
Temple of Eothas
in the first town is murdering me on hard and I have two companions. I'm thinking about just hiring some companions and then trying to clear out everything. >_>

Krelian91

An option to disable would be nice.

Perhaps these two things are related? What are your PC specs, Krelian91?

It's not too bad, I can run most high-end games without too many problems.

graphic card 1GB DDR5
5GB RAM
2,4 GHz cpu (performance rated at 4.2 GHz)

To give you an example, games like Dragon Age Origins and Fallout New Vegas didn't give me too many issues. I don't think PoE is that higher in requirements than those, right?

EDIT: I've looked around, it seems to be a problem for 32-bit systems...

[Asmodean]

Playing @ 2560x1440 and the game is rather blurred. Low resolution textures, etc. I'm seeing only a small number of people seem to be having this problem. The whole screen looks to be interpolated.

Can't find anything out of the ordinary in the log. It's detecting my gpu, and threading capabilities, etc. uugh.

In other news, not found much in the way of tweaking anything visually yet, either. Excluding the msaa that they forgot to include in the gui options.

Too bad there isn't an option to enable the higher quality models / textures from the character creation.

Reference to the saves/settings for anyone who wants;

Save data: C:\Users\"your username"\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Settings are stored via the registry under: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity

Edit:

It's not too bad, I can run most high-end games without too many problems.

graphic card 1GB DDR5
5GB RAM
2,4 GHz processor

To give you an example, games like Dragon Age Origins and Fallout New Vegas didn't give me too many issues. I don't think PoE is that higher in requirements than those, right?

You can open the console (with the ` tilde key) and type msaa 0, if you want a fairly nice performance increase, on lower end machines, etc.

injurai

Banned
[Asmodean];157613068 said:
Playing @ 2560x1440 and the game is rather blurred. Low resolution textures, etc. I'm seeing only a small number of people seem to be having this problem. The wole screen looks to be interpolated.

Can't find anything out of the ordinary in the log. It's detecting my gpu, and threading capabilities, etc. uugh.

In other news, not found much in the way of tweaking anything visually yet, either. Excluding the msaa that they forgot to include in the gui options.

Reference to the saves/settings for anyone who wants;

Save data: C:\Users\"your username"\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Settings are stored via the registry under: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity

Too bad there isin't an option to enable the higher quality models / textures from the character creation.

I think it scales the background your resolution, but you can still zoom in the camera which gives a subpar effect. Trying zooming out a bit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shortly after the intro you'll start running into it. Stuff like
NPCs with little stories attached to them, or gravestones with a name and a poem.
Some of them have really uneven writing or are completely fiction-breaking.

It's a bit of a bummer, like all in-game backer rewards (aside from the kickass portraits).

Fortunately, a couple kind souls pointed that out to me a page or two ago. But thanks!

Portraits are the one obvious in game backer reward I dont mind because it always nice to have more portraits.

Ozigizo

This
Temple of Eothas
in the first town is murdering me on hard and I have two companions. I'm thinking about just hiring some companions and then trying to clear out everything. >_>

I tried it a few times but kept getting murdered, even after picking up a couple people.
Confuse really sucks.

RulkezX

How do you see status afflictions? The game told me someone is fatigued but I can't see who. Is there a way to see your alignment as well? It said I'd gained a level in my rep or something but I can't find that either :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For camping, you need camping gear. The amount of gear you can carry is limited by the difficulty (On Hard you can only carry 2 sets, for example) but you can buy and find more camping gear easily enough. You can also rest at Inns. There are rooms that are free, but there are also rooms that cost money and those rooms will give a stat buff to the entire team.

For example, one of the rooms I stayed in cost 100 copper, but gave a +1 mechanics boost to my entire time.

Also, no problems with crashing in Gilded Vale for me. No framerate chugs, but my GPU fans go crazy.

How long does the buff last?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How do you see status afflictions? The game told me someone is fatigued but I can't see who. Is there a way to see your alignment as well? It said I'd gained a level in my rep or something but I can't find that either :/

Reputation isnt like alignment. I'm pretty sure its suppose to be hidden.

Burt

I named my bear pet after my chocolate lab. He's the greatest. And just like my lab, he seems to be best at parking his ass in doorways and getting in people's way.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm unsure of exactly how long, but it persisted through me camping twice in a dungeon.

That's odd. They're supposed to be resting bonuses so they should expire next time you rest. Either a bug or they changed the way they operate. Which would be weird because a big part of them was adding further strategic importance to resting. Keep your nice resting buffs out gain back health and any spent spells/abilities.

Top Bottom