• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Godddddaaaaaaamn the dialogue is good. Indulged myself in sneaking off to play for an hour or so and even just getting into the ruins I can already feel myself getting sucked into the writing

Gothos

Am I supposed to die so often? Am at the place where we get Curante (?) (the redheaded priest) but am dying to groups of wolves and boars. I am a Chanter, level 2. Maybe I'm supposed to wait a bit in the town and gain experience?

By the time you reach Durante you should have had 2 more companions - mage and fighter. Both found in the 1st village.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Two questions:

* Is loot randomized to some degree?

I can't say for sure, but loot was quite static in Infinity Engine games so chances are it's the same here.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am loving this game. I started a Human Ocean Folk Monk. Feeling my way through the game. Had to laugh at a misadventure though.

Minor Spoiler about a Cave...

Sweet, punching fools in the face is awesome. Oh, its a cave. Nice, a bear! I'm gonna Takamura this poor thing - OH GOD MY FACE!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen it yet, but is there an option to turn off displaying helms? If there isn't, I need to start looking for mods to help with this.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't seen it yet, but is there an option to turn off displaying helms? If there isn't, I need to start looking for mods to help with this.

This aint some namy pamby MMO with unnecessary cosmetic toggles. You will protect your dome and you will like it.

Dammit, I was hoping to survive the siren's call and hit this up in a few months...after all I haven't really given myself a chance to get through D:OS or Wasteland 2, but ... god damn, I'm in like flynn. I never beat Ultima 7, and I never beat Fallout, but I beat the _crap_ out of Baldur's Gate 2, so I think this is secretly the one I was most looking forward to, despite not backing it when it was on KS. Now I just gotta wait 'til I get home and eat to start this bad boy up.

Reading the lore book, I kinda wish Avellone had been allowed to run wild with this one. The balance seems to be about 80% traditional fantasy with 20% weird Victorian soulscience stuff creeping in at the edges. It could have been flipped.

You know, I remember the very initial pitch when they still haven't defined the game very well but it sounded a bit more wild and different, more "Obsidian without a publisher doing finally what it wants". Then as they announced the Kickstarter and it got rolling, it turned a lil' bit to more traditional fantasy, very D&D, very Baldur's Gate, with barbarians, paladins and wizards and monks, very focused on pleasing the old Baldur's Gate fans.
Of course it still has their own spin on fantasy tropes and differences, the Obsidian touch is still there, but I think initially was further apart of the beaten path, with a more novel ideas about a world where souls worked in interesting ways and even the systems were tied to those "off the wall" concepts.

Let's be honest, they don't have a publisher to please, but they needed money to make a game, and said money came from the traditional fantasy RPG gamer which just want his elves and dwarves and wizards and dragons, and they had to cater said fans.

Blizzard

Banned
After stumbling on it, this is totally my portrait:
0kd7PfO.png

A friendly looking frazzled dwarf who no-one expects to be a powerhouse of martial prowess
I'm late to reply, but this portrait reminds me of Robin Williams. :(

I remember Durante mentioning the game is weird about downsampling and you have to go from really high resolutions. What should I run the game at via Gedo with a 1440P monitor?

FACE

Banned
I am loving this game. I started a Human Ocean Folk Monk. Feeling my way through the game. Had to laugh at a misadventure though.

Minor Spoiler about a Cave...

Sweet, punching fools in the face is awesome. Oh, its a cave. Nice, a bear! I'm gonna Takamura this poor thing - OH GOD MY FACE!

I think that bear one shotted my poor mage.

Zabojnik

Are the Royal-Edition goodies worth the money? Thinking about upgrading my Normal edition. How are the Almanach and the Novella?

The guidebook is brilliant, haven't had the chance to dive deep into the almanac or Prima's 512 pages short guide. Novella and making of documentary are goodies yet to be made available, I believe.

Buy it now.

Spookie

The guidebook is brilliant, haven't had the chance to dive deep into the almanac or Prima's 512 pages short guide. Novella and making of documentary are goodies yet to be made available, I believe.

Buy it now.

Avoid reading the contents page of the Prima guide. I just spoiled a load of quest titles accidently. It throws caution to the wind. :(

terrisus

Buy it now.

But I'm broke =(

I'm going to need to buy it all eventually - I know I will

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know, I remember the very initial pitch when they still haven't defined the game very well but it sounded a bit more wild and different, more "Obsidian without a publisher doing finally what it wants". Then as they announced the Kickstarter and it got rolling, it turned a lil' bit to more traditional fantasy, very D&D, very Baldur's Gate, with barbarians, paladins and wizards and monks, very focused on pleasing the old Baldur's Gate fans.
Of course it still has their own spin on fantasy tropes and differences, the Obsidian touch is still there, but I think initially was further apart of the beaten path, with a more novel ideas about a world where souls worked in interesting ways and even the systems were tied to those "off the wall" concepts.

Let's be honest, they don't have a publisher to please, but they needed money to make a game, and said money came from the traditional fantasy RPG gamer which just want his elves and dwarves and wizards and dragons, and they had to cater said fans.
I was a bit upset about that until the Torment campaign launched and then my view was basically "well I'm getting a traditional RPG from the best in the business and an off the wall RPG from a promising studio, I'm pretty happy with that"

Fou-Lu

Can I respec my attributes or abilities at some point? Not quite sure what I want to pick as a Chanter quite yet, it seems might is kind of useful for everyone for example, but the game doesn't recommend it for a Chanter. I think I will take one of the summoning Invocations for now.

Only got to go through the character creation before having to get ready for work, this is going to be the longest shift I've had in a while

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does this game describe active buffs(especially on enemies!) with possible tooltips for how to deal with them?

My biggest pet peeve of BG1/2 was having damn near no idea what those swirling colored auras that were affecting so many lategame enemies actually did. My weapons could be ineffective, certain magics, etc.. total trial/error guesswork on which disrupt spells to use to breach properly. Sometimes enemies stacked 4-5 different buffs, so it was nigh impossible to distinguish them!! So many buffs had similar animations so it was hard to tell what mages cast on themselves, etc...

No modders ever patched in right-click tooltip pop-ups to describe any of that stuff sadly. Does this game handle this better? Never felt blinding the player from tactical battlefield awareness added any benefit.

Calcium

Banned
Meh, not sure I'm liking the Cipher. Might give something else a shot before I get too far in. Game is amazing, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My druid's cast form is ugly as sin.

I was hoping to become a tiger or something, not a werecat freak of nature.

Might reroll!

Almighty

I'm not getting any achievements unlocking, I cant see the game or screenshots in my activity feed either.

Well a quick restart of my computer seemed to have fixed it. The achievement for being a backer unlocks right after character creation so pretty easy to see if that fixes it for you as well.

Top Bottom