• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Heigic

It's nice to see this game has a font scale option so many games involving a lot of reading don't have it. Time to play.

Yellow names for npc's mean that they don't do anything but let me read their souls or whatever, which I assume is one of the backer rewards? So I can ignore every single one of them if I'm not interested, right?

Almighty

Well I decided to finally take a pic of this little problem I have been having.

NmfE8fy.png

Stiler

So can someone help me out here with making my character.

I really want to play a fire godlike barbarian however in rpgs I always like to (when offered) use the dialogue to find out the most info I can and get through gameplay that otherwise might be blocked off. (I loved Vampire: TMB when it came to this, actually felt worthwhile to have the dialogue options).

I am wondering, I see that perception is a similar skill in POE in regards to dialogue and was just wondering if it was worth it? Is there a lot of uses for it throughout the game that would make it worthwhile to have high perception for those special dialogues it opens up?

I googled and found a wiki that listed just like 4 "checks" for it, but I was hoping that was just avery early incomplete list, becuase if there's only those four checks it would seem quite useless.

Build wise I had it pegged at 14 str/13 con/12 dex/16 perception/12 int/11 resolve.

Is that a good build for a barbarian (if perception is useful) or would I be better off putting those points more in the other useful stats for my class?

Anno

So can someone help me out here with making my character.

I really want to play a fire godlike barbarian however in rpgs I always like to (when offered) use the dialogue to find out the most info I can and get through gameplay that otherwise might be blocked off. (I loved Vampire: TMB when it came to this, actually felt worthwhile to have the dialogue options).

I am wondering, I see that perception is a similar skill in POE in regards to dialogue and was just wondering if it was worth it? Is there a lot of uses for it throughout the game that would make it worthwhile to have high perception for those special dialogues it opens up?

I googled and found a wiki that listed just like 4 "checks" for it, but I was hoping that was just avery early incomplete list, becuase if there's only those four checks it would seem quite useless.

Build wise I had it pegged at 14 str/13 con/12 dex/16 perception/12 int/11 resolve.

Is that a good build for a barbarian (if perception is useful) or would I be better off putting those points more in the other useful stats for my class?

Depends how much you want to min/max and what you want out of your dude/dudette. Higher perception will give you a tankier barbarian that interrupts a bit more often, at the loss of some offense. A more happy medium might be switching your PER and INT; barbs have a lot of AoE and duration based abilities that will be bolstered by the extra intelligence, and INT is a pretty frequent conversion modifier as well.

Burt

This
Temple of Eothas
in the first town is murdering me on hard and I have two companions. I'm thinking about just hiring some companions and then trying to clear out everything. >_>

Put a tank in the doorways and use something to draw the enemy there. They can only attack one at a time that way. The
Shadows
can teleport into your group, but it's usually not until you've thinned the herd a bit. For the harder enemies/groups, I've found that a long pull along with a Cleric using the Halt spell is great at keeping enemies at bay so you don't get overwhelmed and can take the weaker ones out first.

That one dialogue choice when encountering the first companion...man, I laughed.
Great job, Obsidian.

I'm so crass

PBalfredo

Depends how much you want to min/max and what you want out of your dude/dudette. Higher perception will give you a tankier barbarian that interrupts a bit more often, at the loss of some offense. A more happy medium might be switching your PER and INT; barbs have a lot of AoE and duration based abilities that will be bolstered by the extra intelligence, and INT is a pretty frequent conversion modifier as well.

So INT and PER are the stats most used in conversations? Which classes make the best use of those stats?

Marlenus

Just finished my first session and I am loving it so far. If I did not have work I would be on it all night but unfortunately responsibility beckons. Looking forward to tomorrow and the weekend though.

Dunbar

Probably a stupid question, but are your available party members/companions a good mix of classes? I want to make sure I have some bad ass chanters and wizards, monks, etc. but of all the main characters I've tried to make so far, I like my lady elf ranger the best and I want to stick with her.

Tovarisc

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

TotalBiscuit streaming the game along with lead programmer Adam Brennecke fielding questions from the chat!

Adam just moment ago said that PoE team peaked at 25 people at its largest. High quality and huge product from such small team.

Well I decided to finally take a pic of this little problem I have been having.

What you are running on? PC, Linux or Mac? I assume all drivers are up to date etc, or?

vocab

Lovely Unity engine with its hitches. Little annoying panning the camera and getting that unmistakable Unity hitch.

Ya, it's quite the signature mark the engine has. It was annoying as shit in Shadowrun returns. It's not too bad here, but it's noticeable.

Almighty

Adam just moment ago said that PoE team peaked at 25 people at its largest. High quality and huge product from such small team.

What you are running on? PC, Linux or Mac? I assume all drivers are up to date etc, or?

PC and like any long time PC gamer updating my drivers was the first thing I did. It is weird as that only happens when they are moving and once they stop it goes away until they move again. I reported it on Obsidian's forums so hopefully it is a quick fix. Until then I will just plow through as it is only a slight annoyance as it fixes itself for a little while after a quick save/reload.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Probably a stupid question, but are your available party members/companions a good mix of classes? I want to make sure I have some bad ass chanters and wizards, monks, etc. but of all the main characters I've tried to make so far, I like my lady elf ranger the best and I want to stick with her.

The only classes you dont get are
monk, rogue and barbarian.

Truant

So the game won't let me role-play a Pale Walker who's turning good. Playing as a good character apparently doesn't jive with my order, which prevents me from getting really powerful.

That sucks. Re-rolling as a Cipher.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So the game won't let me role-play a Pale Walker who's turning good. Playing as a good character apparently doesn't jive with my order, which prevents me from getting really powerful.

You can role play counter your order but its doesnt make much sense and youll have to take the hit.

Spookie

I think there is a talent that negates the penalty?

Truant

You can role play counter your order but its doesnt make much sense and youll have to take the hit.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I guess I'm reserving that character for a D&D session. My new guy is an artist who spent his life feeding on people's minds, and influencing them to create his art. So he became a Cipher in charge of a adventuring party, obviously!

VoidVR

Banned
Played 4 hours now. Made a goody two-shoes Aumaua paladin, the Kind Wayfarers order. Playing on hard and you really have to watch where you poke your nose into, making sure you're being careful when pulling groups, keeping the food buffs up, etc.

I'm in love, the old days of crpg high adventure are back. Glorious!

[Asmodean];157613068 said:
You can open the console (with the ` tilde key) and type msaa 0, if you want a fairly nice performance increase, on lower end machines, etc.
You got a link where I can find all other console commands?

Zeliard

I'm really liking it so far. I tend to gravitate towards spellsword-esque classes/builds, and this seems perfect for that. I got draining soul whip when I leveled so I can cast spells more often, pretty effective.

Good to know. I'm starting up an Aumaua Cipher and will see how that goes. :p

Hmm, I own the Kickstarter hero edition on Steam and it says so on the store page, but when I search my games list it's not there and it doesn't appear on my profile when I open it. Consequently the Kickstarter achievement hasn't unlocked either. What's going on?

Burt

This game is so good.

So so so so good.

Also, I'm incredibly happy with the ranger that I spent 4 minutes creating, which never happens even when I spend 4 hours thinking it over.

Top Bottom