• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i feel bad for not wanting to read about the vibrant backstories of every tom dick and harry i meet but like...........please

Ludovico

Two hours down, countless to go.
Playing on hard, even though I have next to zero experience with IE or NnD rules!
Game is beautiful, music is great, reading this much is going to ruin my eyes this week, but totally worth it. Now I just have to wait for the weekend proper to start!

Has anyone tried the dev commentary yet? A game as huge as this I don't know when I'd ever get around to a second playthrough anytime soon, so if it's not too intrusive or revealing/spoilery I'd like to leave it on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Game is awesome. First real dungeon I'm doing out in the world is really challenging on Hard-Expert, too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I was not expecting to like
Aloth
based on what little I read about the companions, but I really enjoyed the introduction and he should make a fine bro.

Anyone see a bug where when the tutorial scrolls close that noise it makes plays over and over and over. Also, is hard mode the way to go here?

Almighty

Yeah I think I just figured out this game isn't playing around when a simple trap that in most games aren't even a slight annoyance just gave one of my guys a near death experience. I think I might need to hire an adventurer to fill out some gaps in my party. And I am playing on normal.

Also I am very happy this game seems to be selling like hotcakes on Steam. Obsidian must be very happy and between this and Skylines Paradox is having a very good month I would think.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Level 3! weee!

Also, am I a total scrub, or did other folks playing on hard have a rough time fighting 3 wolves at once solo?

Dsyndrome

I wish I spent some time figuring out my character build before today, I'm going to spend hours at the Char Gen screens, and I'll probably still end up with Human Fighter.

dude

dude
Remember when people thought the setting was dull and cliche?
Hahaha good times.

Seriously though: I just love the souls stuff, I love the darkness of Gilded Vale, I like the lore, everything in this game is just amazing.
Also, Aloth is cute and I wish I could romance him :(

Haha so creating a character, I look at rogue and the description says something about them being used as shock troops, and "shock" is in red...hover over it and it starts talking about damage types like burn, shock, freeze...

I don't think that's what it means, guys. :p They probably just did a search all text -> add tooltip if it's got a dictionary entry.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not feeling Chanter. So far I'm just auto attacking until Fus Ro Dah/Summon: Phantom activates.

chifanpoe

2 hours in now, damn this game is amazing.

My 4yo and 8yo daughters helped me roll up a: Female Moon Godlike Wizard named Luxa Madface. My 8yo now wants to play too.

smudge

Was in the dark about this release and feel bad for now knowing about it earlier. Picked it up as soon as I saw this OT but only had time for about an hour tonight.
After replaying BG1&2 in the Enhanced versions, this engine feels great. Love the music and the new setting.
Rolled a Elf Ranger because I'm boring, but will likely start again with a priest once I have a feel for things.

General Question for any who can answer.. can you pool your points when you level? As in save points from level up to level up to afford the rising cost of stats (Stealth, Athletics, Lore, etc..)?

Shaldome

I think the last time if felt like a champ, because I beat a room full of low level spiders was long ago.

Having a blast so far. Especially the parts wandering around and getting killed encounters.

So there is a cave with a bear, so what? *get's instantly killed with one crit from said bear*

Tovarisc

There's a switch in Graphics settings for it. A user was having the same issue, switched it on and it appeared to fix it for him.

It keeps bugging out on me at random :/ Some times after conversation then after some battle etc. and I need go toggle it off and on to get it working again. Slight annoyance that I expect to get patched relatively soon, not game breaking bug.

dude

dude
General Question for any who can answer.. can you pool your points when you level? As in save points from level up to level up to afford the rising cost of stats (Stealth, Athletics, Lore, etc..)?

Yes. In the beta I usually had one point left over at every level up and I just stored it for next level up.

Unmoses

Didn't know what to expect, but hoped for the best.. Stayed away from the backer's beta just to come at it fresh.. Soooo good.. In fact, perfect so far, though I'm only at the vale so far.

Trying a monk, curious about monk damage and armor/weapons vs light/fists.. haven't read anything.. oh well, fun to try..

Thanks Obsidian, may this light the path for good devs to work on labors of love for fans sans corporate board meetings and pilfering good will

garath

It keeps bugging out on me at random :/ Some times after conversation then after some battle etc. and I need go toggle it off and on to get it working again. Slight annoyance that I expect to get patched relatively soon, not game breaking bug.

Yeah. despite fixing the root issue, it still bugs out every now and again. At least it's usable now!

arkon

So I've just played for about 2 hours. 30 minutes spent in character creation before just going fuck it and rolling a human monk. 17-16-11-10-12-12. Not sure if that's even the right way to go but so far I've been breezing through the combat encounters on Normal (Hard mode and above will be for later playthroughs). Don't really have too much of an idea of what's going on behind the scenes yet but that's because I've tried to go in as fresh as possible. Need to start reading up about the systems. About to set out for the Gilded Vale and just capped it off there. So good. I really wish I'd booked some time off work so I could just dive back in. That'll have to be it until tomorrow.

While it's early days still it seems to be everything I wanted and longed for. Feels like the late 90s again.

----
How do you see status afflictions? The game told me someone is fatigued but I can't see who. Is there a way to see your alignment as well? It said I'd gained a level in my rep or something but I can't find that either :/

There should be an icon by your character portrait that shows you. Failing that it's on the character screen listed under "Active Effects".

Alastor3

how do we backstab a creature in the back using scout technique ?

edit: This game will stay in the annals of the best CRPG of all time I think

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh man, this is just absolutely fantastic so far.

One minor gripe, at least I think it's a gripe unless I'm missing something: No ability to make my own map notes?

Ozium

installing now

all I'm gonna do is make my way to the GAF inn and then complain about the rest of the game without having played it

should be fun!

(what will actually happen is that I spend an hour in the character creator, play for an hour and then decide to reroll my dude a few times)

edit: a lot of people are playing on Hard, is that recommended? I haven't played a CRPG since Ultima 4

Kvik

One minor gripe, at least I think it's a gripe unless I'm missing something: No ability to make my own map notes?

Really? What a bummer. I am so used to having custom markers in Big World Project mod.

That's unfortunate. At least you can make custom journal entries in the notes section, something these games have direly needed for decades.

Fast/slow speeds, the notes, and stuff like the stash and text cinematics are all fantastic advances by Obsidian. I think they've set the new bar for CRPGs' featuresets.

Burt

One thing I do have to say, having just started Dark Souls for the first time ever two days ago, is that the in-UI hover tips and explanations are here clear, precise, and plentiful, and therefore super awesome and helpful. Nailing something like that is so important for a smooth experience.

AegisScott

Neo Member
I feel like the first areas are almost too hard

The area right after the town is like anytime you step off the path, you die. Wolves, bandits, rogue paladins. But then you get to the Compass and you can curb stomp all the little Kobold-y guys. It feels kind of all over the place for me.

Anoregon

God damn that
temple ruin room full of spiders in the first town
Was serious and a lot of fun.

Top Bottom