• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Gaz_RB

The character creator is freaking awesome. I love choosing such an in depth backstory. Can't wait to play more later tonight, gonna role play my heart out.

Pilgrimzero

So much BGate and IDale feels!

And what happened to the last 3 hours?

This game has already made me sad
due to scripted npc death)
and I'm only at the beginning!

Ozium

Anyone know how much LORE is only in the supplemental materials (the campaign almanac or the novella?) I'd assume there's a ton in-game but is there stuff you need to know (or want to know) only in those things?

Now all I want in a patch from Obsidian is a way to play multiple games simultaneously through multiple saves. I CAN'T BE CONFINED TO ONE AUMAUA PALADIN GUYS.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guys, we have to send a rescue mission for Durante. His steam profile says he's playing Audiosurf. Someone has invaded his home and is using his PC, hopefully he's still alive...

Burt

Are unique companions significantly stronger than generic recruits? I bought a priest and I can't tell if I did stats wrong or generics are just meant to be stomped.

Dsyndrome

Ended up with a human fighter with Mig 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Per 14, Int 13, and Res 15 named Rage McTaggart. Let's see what this generic sword and board badass can do!

dude

dude
Are unique companions significantly stronger than generic recruits? I bought a priest and I can't tell if I did stats wrong or generics are just meant to be stomped.

Recruits are one level below you. But other than that, you could build them pretty strong if you try for an OP build.
The companions don't seem to be that op in terms of items and stats, though I didn't check too closely.

I'm rolling with Fenior Melroza, Ocean Folk Vailian, former noble current rogue. He's cool, I found him a hat with a feather that's perfect for him. Playing on Hard and it's smooth sailing so far.

Durante

Guys, we have to send a rescue mission for Durante. His steam profile says he's playing Audiosurf. Someone has invaded his home and is using his PC, hopefully he's still alive...
Nah. I have one local coop evening every week, it's tradition for 5 years or so now. And Audiosurf is on the traditional rotation :p

Im having fun, but it seems I dont know how to play the fights because in every encounter im in the brink of death. I suppose that would be normal playing on hard, but Im playing in normal and the game is kicking my butt and im sure it is becuase i dont understand how to move the characters and use the attacks wisely. Im always afraid of using the ones where it has a number of uses that you cant use again until your rest.

Im using a druid and im with the two first real companions in
the gods temple catacombs.
Between the thin number of uses, the game telling you fires are scarce, and some of the AoE attacks killing my own characters, im afraid of using 90% of them.
Any tips?

Alastor3

I gotta say, InXile has got some work cut out for them to meet the bar this game sets :)

are you talking about Wastleland 2 release rushed or their upcoming game Torment ?

and since no one responded to me, I repeat, do you need to have a special skill to backstab someone or do I just attack on the back of a monster to have an amplified attack ? kinda new to this kind of game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
HOLY SHIT when you disarm a trap you get the trap to use?

Fucking yes.

Salsa

and since no one responded to me, I repeat, do you need to have a special skill to backstab someone or do I just attack on the back of a monster to have an amplified attack ? kinda new to this kind of game.

backstab is the first thing you get when you level up a rogue

it's pretty hard to backstab animals, which there's plenty at first, just so you know

thankfully using a bow/crossbow while undetected also counts as a sneak attack and gets the multiplier afaik

Lime

Just played the first quest or whatever you want to call it. This game is real. The soundtrack and writing are especially good and I'm really savouring every bit.

A bunch of old friends who started out with BG and the like bought this game instantly today. And they rarely buy games these days, unless they are on a huge discount.

CoolOff

Is there a video guide on how to handle the spellcasting-micro? Since all AoE injures party members as well the Wizard in my party is completely useless at the moment.

What does "Action Speed" affect, exactly? I've looked at the wiki and the manual, and neither precisely define it.

Does having more of it make your recovery bar go down faster? If hypothetically, you had a 50% bonus to Action Speed, would you do three attacks in the time that a character with no bonus would make two?

I think I might need help with stat distribution:

I want to make my PC a Chanter. I started with 10 MGT, 12 CON, 10 DEX, 10 PER, 18 INT, 18 RES.

Is that decent? I play Pathfinder games often, and this is all very much obscure for me. I just don't know what's important. They suggest CON and INT but I've heard CON isn't a great stat.

That all being said, should I just relegate him to a bard role and not take many damaging spells and just take the summons? I don't have ant MGT at the moment so I don't know think he'll do much damage.

I've watched Sensuki's videos and I'm still lost on this aspect.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now all I want in a patch from Obsidian is a way to play multiple games simultaneously through multiple saves. I CAN'T BE CONFINED TO ONE AUMAUA PALADIN GUYS.

You can. Each character gets its own "folder" named after itself where all its saves go.

Galileo

Neo Member
Im having fun, but it seems I dont know how to play the fights because in every encounter im in the brink of death. I suppose that would be normal playing on hard, but Im playing in normal and the game is kicking my butt and im sure it is becuase i dont understand how to move the characters and use the attacks wisely. Im always afraid of using the ones where it has a number of uses that you cant use again until your rest.

Im using a druid and im with the two first real companions in
the gods temple catacombs.
Between the thin number of uses, the game telling you fires are scarce, and some of the AoE attacks killing my own characters, im afraid of using 90% of them.
Any tips?
I'm exactly in the same situation, except my char is a wizard, getting my ass handed over to me by
shadows
, sometimes they just teleport behind ranged characters and the fighter can't do anything about it.
Also, certain things are unclear, like some item bonuses that are written pretty strangely (like "Of Accuracy +5, Accuracy +5" or something similar) or, if you look at
Eder's armor
, there's no telling what its special effect does, the one called Second Chance iirc.

Salsa

I wonder how many people catch on to the name minor early spoilers
The black hound inn

one of the windows looks like this

2tlUyHJ.png

Burt

Recruits are one level below you. But other than that, you could build them pretty strong if you try for an OP build.
The companions don't seem to be that op in terms of items and stats, though I didn't check too closely.

I'm rolling with Fenior Melroza, Ocean Folk Vailian, former noble current rogue. He's cool, I found him a hat with a feather that's perfect for him. Playing on Hard and it's smooth sailing so far.
Awesome thanks.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love how the fighter attack that makes a target go prone works on shit like ghosts lol.

I'm getting quite frequent crashes when loading new areas. It may be because apparently I'm under minim spec as I have a 32 bit OS and thus less than 4 GB of RAM. anyone else having CTDs as well?

Top Bottom