• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Burt

Every spoiler tag I click in this thread feels like Russian roulette. Time to pull an all nighter to get way ahead of the curve and ascend to unspoiledable.

Im having fun, but it seems I dont know how to play the fights because in every encounter im in the brink of death. I suppose that would be normal playing on hard, but Im playing in normal and the game is kicking my butt and im sure it is becuase i dont understand how to move the characters and use the attacks wisely. Im always afraid of using the ones where it has a number of uses that you cant use again until your rest.

Im using a druid and im with the two first real companions in
the gods temple catacombs.
Between the thin number of uses, the game telling you fires are scarce, and some of the AoE attacks killing my own characters, im afraid of using 90% of them.
Any tips?

lol I'm on easy and this game's kicking my ass.

Finally found the Watcher in Od Nua and of course he turns into a boss fight. I'd cleared out most of the first floor before I decided to see what was behind the locked door. Had a pleasant conversation and then one of his past lives decides to kill me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So currently 20% of players have the kickstarter achievement. So with 73k backers, they've potentially sold something like 350k already.

Xaero

Neo Member
Ugh. They really need to fix the edge scrolling for dual monitors :(

Anyone found a workaround for it? It's kind of obnoxious to take my hands off the WASD keys to use the arrows to pan the camera around. :/

Turn the other monitor off :)

Not ideal, but it works. It's what I'm doing for now.

Alastor3

I just saw my first spirits (or souls?) should I do something with them or im not far enough in the story ? im at the bear cave

edit: well, im a wizard, on hard, I have no idea if im good until then but the bears are killing me in 2 seconds, how can i know if I missed up my character or if it's just too difficult for my level ?

Spookie

So currently 20% of players have the kickstarter achievement. So with 73k backers, they've potentially sold something like 350k already.

Yeah but how much did they loose in the form of physical rewards? I remember seeing another kickstarter which said that was a serious chunk of change. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just saw my first spirits (or souls?) should I do something with them or im not far enough in the story ? im at the bear cave

edit: well, im a wizard, on hard, I have no idea if im good until then but the bears are killing me in 2 seconds, how can i know if I missed up my character or if it's just too difficult for my level ?

Your a skinny dude in a robe trying to take down a pair of grizzly bears. Run the hell away man.

vocab

I went back with a party member and the bear still fucked me up. Just leave him alone.

Burt

To fix the edge scrolling problem on dual monitors, check the 'cage cursor' option under graphics. I don't know why it wouldn't be that way by default, but it isn't. I don't even know why it's under graphics.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pretty awesome day for this. Amazing reviews. Still 1 on steam. Everyone wins. Wasnt expecting the critics to like it as much actually.

Must Not Buy Game. I have a habit of buying games, playing them a little then never touching them. Last game was that other RPG ( forgot its name, but it was a popular kickstarter RPG).

But this game looks just like Baldurs Gate, which I own and have played quite a bit of. Remember the manual for that game? It was massive, and it came with a large map made from some material I think( not paper).

My backlog is huge. I think I will wait for now and just watch some playthroughs.

FACE

Banned
I went back to that cave with a few extra lvls and party members and destroyed that damned bear, feels good man.

Dennis

Banned
I ended up going with Hard difficulty and Expert mode.

Hopefully this will provide a challenge with no handholding but without being too crazy.

Can you just have one party member go into stealth mode? In these types of games I usually like to have my rogue scout ahead in stealth mode and then have my companions catch up when the all clear is given. But the companions all move slowly at the same time which mars things a bit.

Can you just have one party member go into stealth mode? In these types of games I usually like to have my rogue scout ahead in stealth mode and then have my companions catch up when the all clear is given. But the companions all move slowly at the same time which mars things a bit.

Yes, this is basically me for the last hour or so.

I'm exactly in the same situation, except my char is a wizard, getting my ass handed over to me by
shadows
, sometimes they just teleport behind ranged characters and the fighter can't do anything about it.
Also, certain things are unclear, like some item bonuses that are written pretty strangely (like "Of Accuracy +5, Accuracy +5" or something similar) or, if you look at
Eder's armor
, there's no telling what its special effect does, the one called Second Chance iirc.

Yeah, i just watched the OPs video. Learned some new tricks but I dont know if it will be sufficient to not get my ass handed.

Spookie

Just got past the initial tutorial, to be outside again. Playing on hard is challenging but not impossible so far.

I'm expecting to get shit on in about 10 minutes though. :D

Alastor3

im I doing the right stuff with my wizard ? When there is a pack of monster I cast oil on them near me so they get stunned and cast fire *feel like a noob*

Dmax3901

So the reaching out to soul stuff (where you see the memories of NPCs), is that purely optional backstory? I'm loving it, it's quite well-written, but man I'm kinda burning myself out reading every single one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is the documentary even available? They said they were shooting footage just last night for it. Doesnt seem to make an impact in download size in steam.

garath

FYI, I moved the game from my mechanical HD to the SSD and it made little difference in load times. Going to file this one under "SSD not necessary".

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
OOOhhh dat
Gaun's Share flail
. I was planning on having my char be adventure weapon spec, too.

terrisus

I had initially installed this onto one of my regular 7200RPM HDs, since I didn't have much free space on my SSD, and had to clear off some space.
I did that and moved my installation over to my Intel SSD.

Man, I love SSDs <3

Hystzen

Anybody know how open Console command on Mac ?

I keep getting hang up bug after you exit cave start of game according to forums I need to lower AA via console.

Edit: got it some reason just restarting game allowed me use the ~ key

Dennis

Banned
I had initially installed this onto one of my regular 7200RPM HDs, since I didn't have much free space on my SSD, and had to clear off some space.
I did that and moved my installation over to my Intel SSD.

Man, I love SSDs <3

Is there any other kind of storage?

This is 2015, right?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hooray, just beat the pair of
skuldr king
s. Toughest fight yet.

Hey GAF meet EviButt, the Rogue. EviButt isn't the best rogue in the world, but he tries real hard, and it's the thought that counts.

9CD95F71EDD1340CF5C7BFBB3620A9696AB29C53

terrisus

Is there any other kind of storage?

This is 2015, right?

I wish all storage could be SSD.

Sadly, in a laptop, decisions have to be made between space and speed when one only has space for
hard drives :þ

(Right now I just have the one 120GB SSD, along with two 1TB 7200RPM drives. I have another 500GB SSD, I just haven't swapped it in yet since I'm putting it in the optical bay)

megalowho

Opening first few hours are engaging and a lot of fun, really enjoying this so far. I'm not nearly as hardcore with my isometric RPG's as some (rarely end up finishing them aside from a couple of the classics) but finding there's lots to dig into here, from the systems to the storylines, without overwhelming you with difficulty spikes or that feeling that you're making bad, irreversible decisions out of the gate.

Game looks and sounds great - excellent soundtrack, nice animations, highly polished and really smart UI design. Writing feels like it's a cut above too, and the in-game glossary is immensely appreciated. Going to take my time and savor this one over the next few months, seems like Obsidian really nailed it.

Top Bottom