• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

jrcbandit

I have no idea which class to pick. Can you get companions of every class for the most part? I created a druid to just see the intro, but I think I may want to play a chanter or perhaps some sort of melee class.

I have no idea which class to pick. Can you get companions of every class for the most part? I created a druid to just see the intro, but I think I may want to play a chanter or perhaps some sort of melee class.

Rogue, Monk, and (I think) Barbarian do not have companions associated with them.

Landford

Banned
Interactions with NPCs and whatnot are always dictated by the main character's attributes and skills, not the party member who initiates it, right?

Burt

Ermehgerd I just got a companion with a gun to round out my party and when I pull an enemy I have so much ranged now it looks like a firing squad.

This is a bit of a typical thing
where you get "introduction companions" that either die or never actually join your group permanently. Pretty sure they can't get out of that situation alive, thanks to the explosion.

Thanks, I thought that the
girl at least was going to be a permanent party member.

I kept reloading to try and save them T_____T

I was totally going to do this if I didn't ask here first.
Though I think if you get to the end of the tunnel, and then rest before stepping outside, she disappears without dying in the fire. I wonder if she can really be saved?

K.Sabot

All of the characters' voice dialogues are getting the first chunk of it chopped off and they start talking in the middle of their sentences, anyone else experiencing this?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I was totally going to do this if I didn't ask here first.
Though I think if you get to the end of the tunnel, and then rest before stepping outside, she disappears without dying in the fire. I wonder if she can really be saved?

No, she dies regardless of what you do. I tried everything.

Altazor

so I'm going to that (super early location spoiler)
bear cave in the valewood and try to fight the bear.
LOL NOPE, killed in three hits. Got totally #rekt. Will try again later.

How does companion XP work for those characters you haven't recruited yet? I have recruited two so far. If I do a ton of sidequesting / exploring will companions I pick up down the road be under leveled or do they scale?

One problem I have with the game is targeting spells. Sometimes I'll think I'm clicking on an enemy with a skill, and wind up clicking elsewhere, only to unpause and eat like 5 Attack of Opportunity to my char and die.

Violet_0

Banned
so I'm going to that (super early location spoiler)
bear cave in the valewood and try to fight the bear.
LOL NOPE, killed in three hits. Got totally #rekt. Will try again later.

try being killed in one hit. Got my sweet revenge shortly afterwards, though

Rezae

Put about 3+ hours in. Haven't had this much gaming enjoyment in years. It's hitting all the fuzzy spots. It's extremely familiar, like an old friend, yet also new and refreshing. The mechanics seem solid, and the story and dialogue are top notch so far. Haven't found myself clicking through dialogue and just absorbing it all in.

Still considering making a new character though. Started with a rather generic fighter, not sure how I feel about it. Think I need something with a little more depth these days.

You know what else is cool about Pillars of Eternity? The credits. Namely, you can fast forward, slow down or pause the credits. I was just looking through to see if I recognized any of the voice actors and its just sort of cool to be able to pause them or fast forward.

Little details!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, playing a Rogue is......interesting. Trying to get that stealth hit (and often kill) then quickly getting back before the rest of the gang can murder me so my party members can catch up, luring enemies away from groups....it's definitely not how I usually play those type of games. Glad I picked the class.
I almost feel like I'm cheating sometimes

Something screwy going on with this game and my steam profile. I've played for several hours but it doesn't show up under recent activity and I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that achievements aren't unlocking. Maybe I haven't reached one yet but I would have figured the backer achievement would have unlocked by now.

Edit: In fact it doesn't show up in my list of games under my profile, though it's obviously in my game library. Weird.

Ozium

glad I checked the options menu due to my anal retentiveness when starting a new game, you can have it set to auto-pause for a variety of options, only 1 of which is checked by default..

I left most of them alone but clicked auto-pause for low health or low endurance

still unsure if I should select the option that lets you know how your dialogue choices will influence things (or something similar)

Emitan

Something screwy going on with this game and my steam profile. I've played for several hours but it doesn't show up under recent activity and I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that achievements aren't unlocking. Maybe I haven't reached one yet but I would have figured the backer achievement would have unlocked by now.

You get the back achievement right after character creation. Sounds like its messed up.

injurai

Banned
Put about 3+ hours in. Haven't had this much gaming enjoyment in years. It's hitting all the fuzzy spots. It's extremely familiar, like an old friend, yet also new and refreshing. The mechanics seem solid, and the story and dialogue are top notch so far. Haven't found myself clicking through dialogue and just absorbing it all in.

Still considering making a new character though. Started with a rather generic fighter, not sure how I feel about it. Think I need something with a little more depth these days.

I always suffer from this. I think I'll just tough it out though. Eventually I can round out my party. Otherwise I'll be replaying the first few hours of the game over and over and never get anywhere.

Plus it's a reason to come back to the game every so often.

Need some help on a puzzle in the temple below the first town:

I feel like I'm missing some sort of clues on the bell puzzle. I think I've searched the entire upper floor but so far I've just found one note that indicates that you shouldn't select the larger bell first. The guy in the temple said I should check out the Rector's room for clues but I don't know which one that is.

Need some help on a puzzle in the temple below the first town:

I feel like I'm missing some sort of clues on the bell puzzle. I think I've searched the entire upper floor but so far I've just found one note that indicates that you shouldn't select the larger bell first. The guy in the temple said I should check out the Rector's room for clues but I don't know which one that is.

I did the right one, big middle one, left one, and then right one again. I just guessed :x

You get the back achievement right after character creation. Sounds like its messed up.

Yeah, it seems to be messed up. Ugh. At least it plays without issue.

I'm still toying with the first hour of the game and the character creator. I have two minor issues, though.

1. The game is not appearing at all on my Steam profile. I can't access the Achievements page and it doesn't show up in my recent activity. Anyone else in the same spot?

2. Using a dual monitor setup, the cursor doesn't get locked to the game's window. I understand that this was a problem present in the beta. Any word by the devs on it getting fixed any time soon? It's minor, but pretty annoying.

Other than that, it's a perfect game, or as close as it gets.

Yup, this is the same issue. It's like the game isn't tied to my profile but it's in my library.

SerRodrik

According to Steam's global statistics, only a quarter of players have the Kickstarter backer achievement. Hopefully that says good things about how it's selling.

And oh my god the music at Anslog's Compass is amazing!

Alastor3

where are the third companion ? I want a melee companion because I get my ass kicked as im me and the elf are two range-class, should I hire someone at the inn just for the time being ?

Fantastapotamus

Anybody else here playing a Rogue? I'm curious how you play compared to my rogue. What's your tactic so far? (I'm level 3 right now, start over since I didn't really like Cipher)

where are the third companion ? I want a melee companion because I get my ass kicked as im me and the elf are two range-class, should I hire someone at the inn just for the time being ?

Next to the big tree in the middle of the town where you talk to the ....special Dwarf lady there is a melee guy you can recruit

Bluth54

You can get the fighter companion
by sleeping in the inn, then going to the tree in town, talking to corpse and then the guy next to the tree.

Man, playing a Rogue is......interesting. Trying to get that stealth hit (and often kill) then quickly getting back before the rest of the gang can murder me so my party members can catch up, luring enemies away from groups....it's definitely not how I usually play those type of games. Glad I picked the class.
I almost feel like I'm cheating sometimes
I love my rogue. No rerolling here.

2015-03-26_00002.jpg

Anybody else here playing a Rogue? I'm curious how you play compared to my rogue. What's your tactic so far? (I'm level 3 right now, start over since I didn't really like Cipher)
I open with a ranged Blinding Strike from my crossbow, then hide behind Eder if a group is coming. I use Eder's modal ability to tie up the group and either my own talents or Aloth's spells to add more status effects (Blinded, Hobble, Prone, etc.) that grant Sneak Attack. Then I flank Eder's targets until they are dead. If something goes wrong, I use his shoves to knock over the enemy that's engaging me so I can get away.

My build is just attacking with rapier/stiletto really fast. I took the Two Weapon Style talent on my first level-up.

Anno

So I just never played either of the BG games or PT. Just wasn't a PC gamer outside of EverQuest during those days, got my D&D fix from our personal campaigns. Fast forward a decade and a half and I'm absolutely floored by this game. Only six hours in, but I just adore the combat and all that there is to see outside of it. The classes are complex and interesting, the voice acting and writing and exquisite, and the world is just top notch. This game seriously looks better than anything I can really think of. Can't wait until I get home tomorrow and can go hard all weekend.

Fantastapotamus

I love my rogue. No rerolling here.

I do like it as well, it just still feels weird to me. I need to invest more in abilities to inflict the Sneak Attack bonus, at the time my strategy is very hit and run like which can't work very long I imagine

I haven't gotten that far in, but no npc has really commented on me being a godlike :c and I hate that I had no choice in portrait, hell even the Imgur album didn't have anything. Not liking my portrait is bugging me.

Yeah, they really chose the dumbest looking head variant for the (death) godlike portrait. Head 3 all the way.

I haven't gotten that far in, but no npc has really commented on me being a godlike :c and I hate that I had no choice in portrait, hell even the Imgur album didn't have anything. Not liking my portrait is bugging me.

Kimaka

Edit: In fact it doesn't show up in my list of games under my profile, though it's obviously in my game library. Weird.

I have this problem too, but the backer achievement is unlocked for me.

I do like it as well, it just still feels weird to me. I need to invest more in abilities to inflict the Sneak Attack bonus, at the time my strategy is very hit and run like which can't work very long I imagine.
As soon as Aloth levelled up, I took Slicken and whichever spell he has that drops Blindness on a group for a looong time. Those two are both effective at giving the Rogue lots of targets.

pahamrick

That's really been the only thing I haven't liked so far. I'm running as a Death Godlike and not a single person has made a comment about it.

Quick question guys,what is currently the more efficient stats to invest in for a Warrior,I realise that Obsidian designed it so it is hard to mess up a character,however some of these are weird.

I'm assuming, Might would be very important to a Warrior, yet no star is next to it, while Perception,Resolve and Constitution have stars next to them,what would actually be more useful for a Warrior in this case, Should I ignore Intellect?

Thanks.(D&D stats are a bit easier, I'm sure this is easy too but just not used to them)

metalhead79

Neo Member
This game....good god....I'm hooked.

I wasn't going to get it because I dislike playing with mouse and keyboard. I got hit by the hype train yesterday and pre-purchased. I'm so glad I did. I grew up on cRPGs like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

jtb

Banned
loving the game so far, a few hours in now.

the writing/story vibe is a little underwhelming so far. guess it really went all in on the Baldur's Gate spiritual successor stuff... a lot more caricature-y and less serious than I expected. And the voice acting and music has that shrill fantasy vibe to it and everyone speaks in that weird indistinguishable accent that all fantasy-land people speak in. I hate that. terrible descriptions, I know... the best way to put it is that it's more NWN2 OC than MOTB.

where's my existential brooding dammit!

also, the "let's team up for adventures after a bar fight!" is literally how you picked up like half of your annoying, shitty companions in NWN2 OC.

but seriously this game is awesome I'm so happy it exists, I'm just nitpicking.

Top Bottom