• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Linkark07

Banned
Finally, downloaded the game.

Created a female rogue human called Linarin. Background: Mercenary. Hoping to be a sellsword who only goes for the money.

So far, this game has left me with a smile on my face. Remembering with great satisfaction Baldur's Gate.

Violet_0

Banned
so I've run into an awkward situation at the keep
I'm trying to clear the keep on hard + expert mode with a party of three which is not that easy, and now the Black Hound Inn has run out of camping supplies. So now after every major fight the game wants me to run back to the town just to rest? That is some pretty shitty design oversight

WTF I'm like 1 hour in and (big spoilers if you haven't gotten to the first big plot part)
Are your companions supposed to die?

So currently 20% of players have the kickstarter achievement. So with 73k backers, they've potentially sold something like 350k already.

I think this might be bugged a bit. I didn't restart Steam as the game unlocked, and I couldn't even see the achievements list at all. I played for about 6 hours.

Restarted Steam, and now the achievements show up, but I don't have any of them, when I should at least have the KS backer one, even after loading up the game again.

Hopefully it will sort itself out.

I think I might need help with stat distribution:

I want to make my PC a Chanter. I started with 10 MGT, 12 CON, 10 DEX, 10 PER, 18 INT, 18 RES.

Is that decent? I play Pathfinder games often, and this is all very much obscure for me. I just don't know what's important. They suggest CON and INT but I've heard CON isn't a great stat.

That all being said, should I just relegate him to a bard role and not take many damaging spells and just take the summons? I don't have ant MGT at the moment so I don't know think he'll do much damage.

I've watched Sensuki's videos and I'm still lost on this aspect.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

I went 4 MGT, 16 CON, 3 DEX, 18 PER, 18 INT, 18 RES with my chanter and doing great. I just wait to fill the chants and use summons to kill the enemies.

Dennis

Banned
I always feel like at least one stat should be above 18 for it to feel like you are reaching for the stars.

I just can't with this Mr. Average nonsense.

hemtae

so I've run into an awkward situation at the keep
I'm trying to clear the keep on hard + expert mode with a party of three which is not that easy, and now the Black Hound Inn has run out of camping supplies. So now after every major fight the game wants me to run back to the town just to rest? That is some pretty shitty design oversight

I think the forge sells camping equipment for a higher price.

VandalD

WTF I'm like 1 hour in and (big spoilers if you haven't gotten to the first big plot part)
Are your companions supposed to die?
This is a bit of a typical thing
where you get "introduction companions" that either die or never actually join your group permanently. Pretty sure they can't get out of that situation alive, thanks to the explosion.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Paladin feels pretty damn strong so far on hard mode. I feel kinda cheap using that preorder item but screw it, this world is mean as hell and I'm going to use every advantage.

This is a bit of a typical thing
where you get "introduction companions" that either die or never actually join your group permanently. Pretty sure they can't get out of that situation alive, thanks to the explosion.

I kept reloading to try and save them T_____T

Violet_0

Banned
I think the forge sells camping equipment for a higher price.

alright, thanks. The, uh, "dungeon" after the first town is pretty ridicules on hard with such a small party, I feel like the game is trying to force me to create some mercenaries for this section which is kinda non bueno. I pretty much have to cheese every fight with the good old doorway strategy

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
alright, thanks. The, uh, "dungeon" after the first town is pretty ridicules with such a small party, I feel like the game is trying to force me to create some mercenaries for this section which is kinda non bueno. I pretty much have to cheese every fight with the good old doorway strategy

Or, you know, come back later.

Huh. Getting an issue where the game loads for fifteen seconds every time it loads the character portraits, and dialogue always plays 5-10 seconds after it's supposed to. Looks like a fair number of people are experiencing it on the Obsidian forums so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Wow, that feeling when you get demolished by an encounter for an hour+, and then re-think your strategy and beat it on the third try.

This game.

Kallor

Game is really beautiful. Haven't played it yet but the wife whos a casual player of rpgs(mostly dragon age or skyrim) and a few other games spent a few hours with it and is in love with the game.

I wish there was an option to toggle autopause controls on and off with a key. Sometimes autopause is essential, but other times I just want my party to wail on a guy without constant interference.

Anyways, this game is the shit.

I'm talking about the
keep
. As far as I can tell, I can't go to any other areas since every other part of the map seems to be greyed out. Or did I miss something?

You can definitely explore a lot more. On every map go to any available north, south, east, and west exit and you'll ungray those areas and discover some new ones.

I wish there was an option to toggle autopause controls on and off with a key. Sometimes autopause is essential, but other times I just want my party to wail on a guy without constant interference.

Anyways, this game is the shit.

With slow mode it seems like auto-pause isn't as needed as in the IE games. I'm thinking about going minimal auto-pause -

Enemy Sighted
Enemy Destroy
Character Near Death
Character Death

All other noted events I can catch while in slow mode and react fast enough.

what if TrueMenace have a portrait too and he's playing using his corpse

TrueMenance doesn't even have a corpse. He was erased from existence.

TheFatMan

I want this game so bad, and I'm doing everything in my power not to buy it....

I just don't have the time! I need like 4 of me....

~Kinggi~

Banned
With slow mode it seems like auto-pause isn't as needed as in the IE games. I'm thinking about going minimal auto-pause -

Enemy Sighted
Enemy Destroy
Character Near Death
Character Death

All other noted events I can catch while in slow mode and react fast enough.

TrueMenance doesn't even have a corpse. He was erased from existence.

Wait... what happened to true? Why does he show up as a 'guest'?

Landford

Banned
For half a second I thought Durante was in the game. I really need to get a new pair of glasses.

x2obHMe.jpg

Labadal

I've been travelling in sneak mode and then activating fast mode. It's the best of both worlds. When combat starts, go back to normal mode.

Burt

Did I flick a switch by accident somewhere, or do characters not pick a new target to at least autoattack when their current one dies? I feel like half the time I get my butt kicked it's because I miss a character idling.

Also, is there a hotkey for selecting your pet?

jtb

Banned
any way to play with the graphics at all? would really like to play this on my Macbook Air, a little stuttery on default settings

Did I flick a switch by accident somewhere, or do characters not pick a new target to at least autoattack when their current one dies? I feel like half the time I get my butt kicked it's because I miss a character idling.

You know what, I'm wondering this too.

But IIRC companions have no AI so this shouldn't be surprising.

Hari Seldon

Hol-e-fuck. Obsidian MURDERED IT with this. I was on a total blackout after backing it, but got damn, this is incredible! Deep character creation, exploration, an elegant inventory system, tactical combat, beautiful hand drawn graphics, and most of all, exquisite adult writing that is not bioware candyland crap! This game is the destroyer of all other RPGs.

Atrophis

My quick bit of play before Bloodborne comes out tomorrow has turned into a 4 hour marathon until 2.40am. Really liking it so far. I still suck balls at these types of games but I'm not doing too badly. Cleared the first floor of the dungeon in the first town, then left and met Durance after the second floor kicked my ass too much.

Top Bottom