• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I started Dark Souls for the first time the other day and had that exact same reaction for about the first 2-3 hours, then it clicked. Then I wasted like 4 hours in the Catacombs because that dude said to 'go down', so that made me furious again, but yeah, it's all clicked now.

Food can make a huge difference, and being fatigued can do the same thing in the opposite fashion. What's your player character's class?

Don't fight the bear yet, if that got you disheartened.

Good advice, thanks. As well as all the others above.

I'm playing Barbarian. I'm starting to let the fighter go in first by a country mile, then I go, then the mage starts bombing.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
uKCYmpZ.gif

Before long, you'll do the same to the ones in that dungeon, too.

Hahaha

Minor early subplot spoiler....

The betrayal revealed in that cave... shit! Knew there was something quirky with that hunter NPC!

Is anyone listening to the developers commentary during their first playthrough? I think I'm going to save it for my second go through, but I've heard it's fantastic.

Opened the strat guide up and it seems a bit disappointing. No details at all for the achievements(triple solo tips would have been cool) other than a simple description and the walkthrough for the missions don't really have fight details and are written only for normal mode it seems as the mission I looked back on mentioned four people where there were 7 for me. No Path of the damned details....at all. The area maps are pretty though.

Varna

Good advice, thanks. As well as all the others above.

I'm playing Barbarian. I'm starting to let the fighter go in first by a country mile, then I go, then the mage starts bombing.

Do you have the "slow" combat option turned on? It automatically slows the game when when combat begins. I easily have 500+ hours in Infinity Engine experience but the default pace for this game is way to fast. Slow down option is a godsend. Also enable the options to automatically pause the game when a party members is low on health and when en enemy is destroyed. Should help you use your units more efficiency.

Thorgal

so i recently bought this and i finished the first zone .

I love it .

One thing though , what do you feel are the correct settings to toggle in the pause combat menu for the right balance of being able to enjoy the combat and lay down a strategy and not having the combat paused after every action ?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Do you have the "slow" combat option turned on? It automatically slows the game when when combat begins. I easily have 500+ hours in Infinity Engine experience but the default pace for this game is way to fast. Slow down option is a godsend. Also enable the options to automatically pause the game when a party members is low on health and when en enemy is destroyed. Should help you use your units more efficiency.

No I definitely don't think I do, I will try that out. Thanks!

Ozium

I love it .

One thing though , what do you feel are the correct settings to toggle in the pause combat menu for the right balance of being able to enjoy the combat and lay down a strategy and not having the combat paused after every action ?

i just have pause when fight starts and when characters are low health or low endurance

I am unable to get GeDoSaTo to work with Pillars of Eternity (Steam copy), should I make any other changes apart from..

.have the game "PillarsOfEternity" in Whitelist
.following parameters in .\config\PillarsOfEternity\GeDoSaTo.ini

I can see the resolution of 3840x2160 listed in the game, but selecting it does not appear to really switch the resolution.

Bumping this.
I'm still struggling with the same problem as well.

robin2

I'll be honest.. this is a game I really, really want to like...... but I just don't get it. I get party wiped on every single encounter in probably like less than 10 seconds.

The lore is cool, I like the art style, I like the characters so far... but it's just not clicking.

I'm in the very first dungeon of the very first town playing on normal... and I can't kill a thing. I have the warrior npc and the mage and my character (barbarian). We die almost instantly to everything.

Maybe I'm just a child of modern rpgs and its not for me, I don't know. But its like "your party encounters 2 lesser skalds. Your party is dead." God damn mage get 1 shotted on any hit and get focused on even before combat starts. He cant get a spell off to save his life, to the point where its comically stupid. I even try to intercept with the other dudes with no avail.

I got winged on playing Mass Effect and Dragon Age and The Witcher and Dark Souls... so I get this is totally different. And I want to like it I really do... but its just not happening.

I mean I'm getting ruthlessly obliterated in what I'm pretty sure is the tutorial dungeon. On "Normal". This is harder than Dark Souls. By far.

Fuck me I want to like this game and get it. Please help.
1) be careful about your positioning: whoever starts the combat, have your warrior (who is probably the most sturdy among your party) in the nearest position to the monsters; you can use doorways to bottle the monsters too!
2) don't skimp on using abilities-powers, instead use them plenty! (always use per-encounter powers, like the warrior's 'knockdown' ability: drop those enemies!).
3) concentrate from the start the damage on a single monster (the one that has just been knocked out by the warrior, for easier hitting), so you quickly have one less monster to worry about.
4) develop your party strategically: you have a barbarian who is probably the one going to specialize on offense right? if so, develop the warrior in a defensive way, for example taking the ability to raise his defense in combat in exchange of the attack (I don't remember the name), and keep it on all the time. At the same time pick some spells for your mage that can help the barbarian and the warrior, don't just pick damaging spells; then use those spells at the start of the combat (because the number of monsters is the highest before you've dropped any) to create a more favorable condition for your fighters.

Artanisix

The dungeon Mattdaddy is talking about is particularly difficult when you first get to the town. I'd just go do some other quests if you're really struggling.

robin2

The dungeon Mattdaddy is talking about is particularly difficult when you first get to the town. I'd just go do some other quests if you're really struggling.
Indeed. But "2 skalds" at normal difficulty should not wipe your party every time. It's after that the dungeon becomes difficult.

Blizzard

Banned
I just started the game. Very simple question, I tried shift-clicking items when I looted a corpse, thinking I could grab them Minecraft style. Instead, they seemed to vanish forever. I now realize that 'E' grabs everything, but is shift-click "trash" or something?

I love it .

For me it's on health low and target dies.

I just started the game. Very simple question, I tried shift-clicking items when I looted a corpse, thinking I could grab them Minecraft style. Instead, they seemed to vanish forever. I now realize that 'E' grabs everything, but is shift-click "trash" or something?
Check your stash, they are probably in there. (the chest on the inventory screen)

KScorp

Shift-click moves items to stash.

Yes. Just deleted (gilded vale spoilers)
Raedric and his guard.
there's nothing quite like overcoming battle like that. Positioning positioning positioning.
On hard mode of course. Not doing path of the damned tho.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So if My created character goes to the Goose and Fox and asks my bartender for a drink, will time and space collapse upon itself?

I'm asking for a friend

Steez

I took a break from Bloodborne and fired Pillars up for two hours. Oh man, the music, the combat, the exploration, it really does take me back to the glorious Infinity Engine games.

I think I'm going to rush through Bloodborne as fast as I can, because from my own first impressions and the high review scores it got, I get the feeling that this is the game I've been waiting for since 2001.

hemtae

Act 2
I just got locked out of quests from the Crucible Knights because I was too friendly with the Dozen. This would never happen in a superior game like Skyrim :(

Blizzard

Banned
One other quick question before I stop for the night.

I understand from the wiki that wizards have (at level 1) two spells per rest. However, is this spelled out ingame somewhere? I can check various other information ingame from the stats screens, the cyclopedia, and so forth, but I can't see the actual "per rest" information listed for my wizard's current level.

One other quick question before I stop for the night.

I understand from the wiki that wizards have (at level 1) two spells per rest. However, is this spelled out ingame somewhere? I can check various other information ingame from the stats screens, the cyclopedia, and so forth, but I can't see the actual "per rest" information listed for my wizard's current level.
There's a number overlaid on the grimore icon on your quick slots. I believe that corresponds with how many casts you have left.

Blizzard

Banned
There's a number overlaid on the grimore icon on your quick slots. I believe that corresponds with how many casts you have left.
Yeah, but it doesn't tell you the total if it's currently 0. I just wished there was information somewhere that was like "You have 3 casts per rest" or "next level you get XYZ", but I'll make do with the wiki reference if I need it. Thanks!

Almighty

So I assumed I missed this info somewhere, but is there any ETA on when our physical rewards are shipping out? My box copy has been sitting at shipping soon for a few weeks now I believe.

Gvaz

Banned
Now that the workweek is over, i can finally sit down and start playing this.

Tried playing it earlier but i couldn't handle it when not sober :p

Almighty

Joining the question. I want my box so baadddd

I know right. I am so glad I decided to buy a extra digital copy for my brother instead of giving him the one that comes with the Kickstater and using the physical copy for myself like I was first planning to do. If I had stuck to that plan I would be so very pissed at Obsidian right now.

hemtae

Act 2
I just got Pallegina. Now I just need to decide who I'm going to boot off for her. I was thinking Kana because I never know how to use bard type classes but personality wise I like him over Durance who I can't decide is crazy and slightly racist or is the only one who really knows why everything is happening. You'd think having 5 more party members would make this decision easier.

My experience so far

Spoiler

"OH look a pit MUST JUMP"

*There's a lot of blood at the botton*

"Man this quest is so easy now that i know how to use custom formation "

*GIANT FUCKING DRAGOn APPEARS*

Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

*checks saves files*

I made a HUGE mistake

Sevenfold

Shift-click moves items to stash.

and your stash doesn't have a view all contents button. The items are auto-sorted and the default 'drawer' in your stash is weapons. I almost posted about it and then realised. One of many learning episodes in this game.

After a good couple of hours bashing my head against the wall and having to unlearn the 'go in and clear the map' mentality that's like an old pair of slippers. I've started making notes of encounters that I've to return to. This game is a afine example of how cosy we've all become with our games. This and BB same week. It's like a slap from the gaming gods ha.
So I'm remoulding my brain and treating the game like a good book (and I must say what a rewarding way to treat it) and thoroughly enjoying the challenge.

In fact it was 7 or 8 hours in that I realised I'm the Leeroy Jenkins of the group. I can almost hear the mocking from the rest of my party as I strut into the middle of the fray, shield in hand and still waving my pathetic flail, only to be bailed moments later by my mages.

Lingitiz

I was wondering when people were gonna start commenting on the companions.

Eder seems to be the most simple archetype to me but I'm expecting that to be turned on it's head eventually. Sagani also seems to have a pretty interesting setup so I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. The conceit of reincarnation is super fascinating and the way the characters in this game handle it is some really great world building.

dude

dude
Eder seems to be the most simple archetype

I really don't think Eder is simple. He's actually a rather interesting guy - He's far from the big dumb fighter you'd expect. He's actually more cut out to be a cleric, but life has lead him on a different path. I very much like those types of subtle inversions to trope.

BTW - anyone here playing this type of game for the first time? I'm very interested in knowing what people with no IE background think :)

Top Bottom