• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

UnrealEck

Are there any classes that use Resolve as a primary stat? I'm still early into the game with my Rogue, but seeing red-ed out dialog where I could of told people to cut their bullshit is killing me.

I think Paladins use it. I prefer Perception to Resolve though for a tank.

KScorp

Found an annoying bug regarding a small bit of lore in Anslog's Compass:
In Anslog's Compass, you find some little lore pages from "Fulvano's Travels". Each page has a little unique snippet of lore. However, those pages end up stacking, and then you lose most of the lore. Even if you unstack the pages they all say the same thing. I can only assume that once I find all the pages that they'll combine into a proper book (with all the lore preserved inside), but it is still an annoying little bug and possibly a giveaway that there are more pages to find.

Burt

Bounties are awesome. Fights are hard, rewards are great, and backtracking through zones you thought you cleared can bring up some interesting encounters.

Protip: In Defiance Bay (regarding noble families and theft)
don't steal the gem and then refuse to give it to the Dameoval (Damovan? The D family). I mean, you can if you want, it felt right to me because the owner of the gem was an asshole and the Damowamodingdong family were all even worse, but working my way through the city zones, I feel like I've cut myself off from a bunch of quest, relationship, and power struggle stuff. Just a heads up.

ElyrionX

I am playing in fullscreen mode but why does my cursor still spill over into my second monitor?

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out

Cerity

is there any benefit reaching out to the souls of the people named in yellow? or was that a just KS backer thing?

Some of them are pretty damn long.

The companion-related quests are great!

Just fantastic writing all around.
is there any benefit reaching out to the souls of the people named in yellow? or was that a just KS backer thing?

Some of them are pretty damn long.

Not sure. I think it's Kickstarter-related with some of the names, but you never really know. Fortunately they all have a special style to their names (when viewed with tab/highlight) so it's easy to ignore them if you want.

I can't decide between Wizard or Druid.

Just deleted my Rogue 10 hour+ save to restart. All in all, over 15 hours played and zero progress.

Druid.

And keep in mind that you can make your own party members (for a fee) so you'll have a chance to try pretty much everything. It's very difficult to doom yourself in the character creation screen.

OH MY GOD!

COOL TRICK (Minor enemy spoiler)

Healing spells obliterate Wichts instantly. I had my priest trying to heal himself with six of them around him and they all exploded.

So much fun.

Cerity

Just finished Act 1. Ended up with

Benevolent: 1
Diplomatic: 1
Rational: 1
Honest: 1
Deceptive: 1

Can't even remember where I got that deceptive one from.

First post-launch weekend, no PoE

I can't handle everyone enjoying this while I have to sit out

A new laptop, my street cred for a new laptop

So far for me

Cruel
Clever
Stoic
Aggressive
Diplomatic
Rational
Deceptive

LOL. I'm everywhere. Just playing things by ear right now. Not really roleplaying any character in particular.

Volodja

I feel like Consecrated Ground (level 2 Priest spell) is doing wonders for my party right now.

With it active I seem to be able to tank whatever I face. I just plop it down at every fight where I don't feel like I have complete control over the situation and I can pretty much relax and wait for my Chanters to be ready to summon doom upon the enemy.

I think I got my deceptive after the Stronghold.
So I think I may have picked it up in my dialogue with (spoiler for just before the end of Act I)
the Ranger NPC. I didn't tell her instantly that I was a Watcher but just after she gave me the stone. Maybe it's was that.

wolfhowwl

Banned
By the end of Act 1:

Clever: 1
Stoic: 1
Rational: 2

So far I've been a pretty straight shooter. Well except for what happened with
Maerwald
haha.

Volodja

By the end of Act 1:

Clever: 1
Stoic: 1
Rational: 2

So far I've been a pretty straight shooter. Well except for what happened with
Maerwald
haha.
Me too, but I still got a Passionate, a Deceptive and a Stoic in there with my Benevolent, Honest and Diplomatic.
I even know for sure where the Passionate and Stoic originated from timewise, in particular I think I know exactly what choices made me Stoic.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'll be honest.. this is a game I really, really want to like...... but I just don't get it. I get party wiped on every single encounter in probably like less than 10 seconds.

The lore is cool, I like the art style, I like the characters so far... but it's just not clicking.

I'm in the very first dungeon of the very first town playing on normal... and I can't kill a thing. I have the warrior npc and the mage and my character (barbarian). We die almost instantly to everything.

Maybe I'm just a child of modern rpgs and its not for me, I don't know. But its like "your party encounters 2 lesser skalds. Your party is dead." God damn mage get 1 shotted on any hit and get focused on even before combat starts. He cant get a spell off to save his life, to the point where its comically stupid. I even try to intercept with the other dudes with no avail.

I got winged on playing Mass Effect and Dragon Age and The Witcher and Dark Souls... so I get this is totally different. And I want to like it I really do... but its just not happening.

I mean I'm getting ruthlessly obliterated in what I'm pretty sure is the tutorial dungeon. On "Normal". This is harder than Dark Souls. By far.

Fuck me I want to like this game and get it. Please help.

pahamrick

I'll be honest.. this is a game I really, really want to like...... but I just don't get it. I get party wiped on every single encounter in probably like less than 10 seconds.

The lore is cool, I like the art style, I like the characters so far... but it's just not clicking.

I'm in the very first dungeon of the very first town playing on normal... and I can't kill a thing. I have the warrior npc and the mage and my character (barbarian). We die almost instantly to everything.

Maybe I'm just a child of modern rpgs and its not for me, I don't know. But its like "your party encounters 2 lesser skalds. Your party is dead." God damn mage get 1 shotted on any hit and get focused on even before combat starts. He cant get a spell off to save his life, to the point where its comically stupid. I even try to intercept with the other dudes with no avail.

I got winged on playing Mass Effect and Dragon Age and The Witcher and Dark Souls... so I get this is totally different. And I want to like it I really do... but its just not happening.

I mean I'm getting ruthlessly obliterated in what I'm pretty sure is the tutorial dungeon. On "Normal". This is harder than Dark Souls. By far.

Are you talking about the
the temple dungeon?

That's far from a tutorial dungeon. I tried taking that thing on with a full party of six and had trouble with some of the fights.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Are you talking about the
the temple dungeon?

That's far from a tutorial dungeon. I tried taking that thing on with a full party of six and had trouble with some of the fights.

I think so. Very first town. I found some stairs and went straight down with a party of 3. If I'm not supposed to be there that would make me feel so much better lol.

Located right next to "the tree"

Corpekata

Banned

Don't assume all content you encounter is doable right when you encounter it. What you are doing is like venturing into the Firelink Shrine Graveyard. Yeah, some goodies there, and somewhat doable, but there's like 3 quests in town that'll send you to areas more like Undead Burg style challenges.

It's not the tutorial dungeon.

hemtae

There should be three videos in the OP by Sensuki which you would do well to watch. Also try slow mode and if you aren't use to hitting the space bar when things go south try setting up some auto pause stuff in the options. Also I'm fairly sure you're out of the tutorial dungeon.

Don't do the Temple area yet. There's two more companions out there you can find. I advise you take the two you have and go to the various wildernesses around the town and explore there first. There's a quest from a mother and blacksmith and a windmill quest in the first town as well. Those are all much easier.

pahamrick

I think so. Very first town. I found some stairs and went straight down with a party of 3. If I'm not supposed to be there that would make me feel so much better lol.

Located right next to "the tree"

Oh yeah. Totally not the tutorial dungeon. The actual tutorial dungeon is the dungeon
before you become a watcher.

That temple dungeon is one you should leave and come back to later, seriously. I was wiping with a full party of level 3s on a handful of the fights.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok you guys are making me feel better, I think I over stepped my bounds. I assumed since it was accessible so soon I should be going there... I was wrong :)

God damn I've been messing around in there getting my dick kicked in for the last hour. Shit lol

See I need to rethink how I approach this stuff... which I respect haha. Good game.

pahamrick

Ok you guys are making me feel better, I think I over stepped my bounds. I assumed since it was accessible so soon I should be going there... I was wrong :)

God damn I've been messing around in there getting my dick kicked in for the last hour. Shit lol

If you ever come across an area that you're having serious trouble with, don't be afraid to just leave and come back to it later otherwise you're going to get really frustrated really quickly.

Also another suggestion for the videos linked in the OP, and checking out Shake Appeal's beginner's guide he posted here.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If you ever come across an area that you're having serious trouble with, don't be afraid to just leave and come back to it later otherwise you're going to get really frustrated really quickly.

Also another suggestion for the videos linked in the OP, and checking out Shake Appeal's beginner's guide he posted here.

I'll check those out with the videos mentioned above. You know when you can tell theres an amazing game lurking in there... you just haven't caught on yet. That's where Im at haha.

Oh shit yeah I went back to the previous forest area and brought vengeance with me. Nice.

These guys kicked my ass solo now its time to pay the piper.

Ok question.... the modal ability that Shake Appeal mentions (fighter engages 3 enemies)... is that learned later? Or is it right away? Cause I don't think I'm using it right if its available immediately.

Burt

I started Dark Souls for the first time the other day and had that exact same reaction for about the first 2-3 hours, then it clicked. Then I wasted like 4 hours in the Catacombs because that dude said to 'go down', so that made me furious again, but yeah, it's all clicked now.

Turn on auto-pause on enemy sighted and combat started. When it pauses, run back a few steps and get your party lined up with the fighter in front. When combat really starts, send the fighter forward and enemies should swarm to him.

If you're in the first dungeon, get him in a doorway and pull the enemies to that spot with a ranged attack so they can only engage one at a time. The wizard companion's 'per encounter' skill is AOE and should do serious work on them while they're clumped up. If a shadow teleports into your wizard and player character, put everyone on him, but don't move the fighter out of the doorway. Hire a priest or paladin from the inn if you're still hurting. You might not need the generic character later, but it's definitely worth the help early on.

Food can make a huge difference, and being fatigued can do the same thing in the opposite fashion. What's your player character's class?

Don't fight the bear yet, if that got you disheartened.

pahamrick

Ok question.... the modal ability that Shake Appeal mentions (fighter engages 3 enemies)... is that learned later? Or is it right away? Cause I don't think I'm using it right if its available immediately.

I want to say that it's available to the fighter at level 2. I can't remember for sure, but you can definitely get it no later than level 3 as I have it right now
on the fighter companion
and he's level 3.

Raedrics Keep is so well designed. I was enjoying the game before but this is on another level. especially the sequence where
you can sneak by enemies by putting on robes, but every time they question you, you need higher requirements to pass by and if you freed that guy in the cell, you can avoid killing the priest

The whole thing is amazing:

I scaled the ramparts, entered from the top and found the robes almost immediately. Made my way to the priest and he gives me the password so now I don't need the robes any more. Head to the dungeon, freed the prisoner, stealthed my way to Osyra and left her alive. Got the key from the Priest and confronted Raedric. Decided to let him live (just for now) which has now turned everyone in the castle green so I can raid everything to my hearts content.

Now I've got the run of the place and I barely engaged in combat.

pahamrick

Oh sweet Sejenus I went back and got a piece of that bears ass. Woo!

uKCYmpZ.gif

Before long, you'll do the same to the ones in that dungeon, too.

Top Bottom