• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know where I can find some meat? I need two as ingredients for some dishes.

I tried killing a deer in Magran's Fork but didn't get anything, so I'm wondering what enemies drop it if they don't. Or maybe someone sells it later.
Actually, is there anything like a tentative list of places to get crafting materials in general? I'd like to enchant some items, but I'm missing some stuff for that too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wait what do you use for attack?

You just click on them, the attack function is only necessary if you're trying to murder a non combatant, and in the unlikely scenario in which I'd want to do that I'll click the button.

Oh and for extra awesome on the wasd scheme, bind 'select all' to Z.

Lingitiz

So for those who have played D:OS, how would you compare the two games so far? Other than the obvious RtWp versus turn based.

The plot is infinitely more intriguing and well written than Divinity. Rtw/p vs turn-based is really up to preference I suppose, I don't prefer one over the other. Pacing seems better so far. Divinity started strong and peaked early while Pillars starts strong and is continually building to something great.

Overall the game feels more straightforward in quest design. There's less pixel hunting and crazy ambiguous design as in Divinity, but it strikes a good balance between that approach and dumbing things down too much. Challenge seems to be at the same level. You'll definitely struggle through a lot of fights and have to cheese some through positioning and whatnot.

Right now I'm liking it more than Divinity (which I loved) but we'll see if it holds up.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"Uh, yeah hi. I'm here to sell like 50 complete sets of armor your guards at the castle wear. Some weapons too. Alright? Alright!"

Any tips for the fight against..
Rado...Reado...Radditz? Or whatever his name is?
I guess I should come back later (I have 4 lv 4 characters right now) but after killing everybody else on the ground it feels weird just walking out and letting the guy sit there till I come back.

Cerity

Does anyone know where I can find some meat? I need two as ingredients for some dishes.

I tried killing a deer in Magran's Fork but didn't get anything, so I'm wondering what enemies drop it if they don't. Or maybe someone sells it later.

I found a few pieces lying around, usually in crates and whatnot. Got a few from people in
Raedric's Keep
too.

Lingitiz

"Uh, yeah hi. I'm here to sell like 50 complete sets of armor your guards at the castle wear. Some weapons too. Alright? Alright!"

I guess I should come back later (I have 4 lv 4 characters right now) but after killing everybody else on the ground it feels weird just walking out and letting the guy sit there till I come back.

Get Sagani and use Itumaak to trigger the conversation. Aggro some enemies back to below the stairs and through the door and it should be just a matter of taking out a few at a time. The crazy amount of enemies and poor positioning they start you with in that fight is the real killer there.

Cerity

I went with ranger and sent in my bear to trigger the conversation and initial fight. Set up a trap on the stairwell. I had Aloth learn slick and spiderweb, which kept them down for long enough that I could pick most of them off. Anyone that was left after I ran out of spells to cast, I just finished off with scrolls and as a normal fight.

Oh and I prioritised the archmage and the paladins.

KingKong

Second floor of temple of Eothas is kicking my ass, am I underleveled as 3/4 with 4 members?

Also if I leave, will it repopulate the enemies or no

Renekton

Overall the game feels more straightforward in quest design. There's less pixel hunting and crazy ambiguous design as in Divinity, but it strikes a good balance between that approach and dumbing things down too much. Challenge seems to be at the same level. You'll definitely struggle through a lot of fights and have to cheese some through positioning and whatnot.
The positioning setups don't work as good as I hoped so far, hope things get better.

I cast web on a choke point to buy time for fire AOEs but the enemies seemed barely slowed and just owned my team.

Alastor3

are there some items that give stats bonus like mechanism ? I didn't give a lot of point in it, I only got 5 points and im starting to see traps and secret

Second floor of temple of Eothas is kicking my ass, am I underleveled as 3/4 with 4 members?

Just make sure you kill the ones that warp enemies in. There are shades and shadows and they look the same. I think the shades warp more enemies in so take them out first.

Spoilers for areas around the 1st village.
The area to the east of the 1st village has upgraded crossbows. I was one shotting enemies using that with my rogue.

If stuff is kicking your ass, move on to other stuff.

manhack

The positioning setups don't work as good as I hoped so far, hope things get better.

I cast web on a choke point to buy time for fire AOEs but the enemies seemed barely slowed and just owned my team.

Oddly enough I was caught in an "infinite" web loop by some spiders. My main character couldn't move after the 1st web from a spider caught him and the spider just kept casting their web. The spider never killed me so eventually I just restarted the fight.

If only the PC webs are as good.

Mitch

Banned
Finally sat down and started. Have only played very little, but the music, dialogue, atmosphere and the way the story moves along is extremely well done. After my first fight with the wolf, I sat there and smiled, because I knew how much fun I was going to have.

Rolled a Dwarf Priest, named Aleous Brahm.

are there some items that give stats bonus like mechanism ? I didn't give a lot of point in it, I only got 5 points and im starting to see traps and secret

Yeah, though I can't recall any offhand. The easiest way would probably be a rest bonus, if available. Get them at inns for a fee while resting there.

And general PSA: secrets are more common than you'd think. That odd dead end, weird looking wall, or interesting doodad are all worthy candidates for a moment of searching.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I am unable to get GeDoSaTo to work with Pillars of Eternity (Steam copy), should I make any other changes apart from..

.have the game "PillarsOfEternity" in Whitelist
.following parameters in .\config\PillarsOfEternity\GeDoSaTo.ini
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

I can see the resolution of 3840x2160 listed in the game, but selecting it does not appear to really switch the resolution.

8TXT444.jpg

Ozium

got tired of having to hold tab so I just unbound it and put tab on the next option down which is toggle interactables

so much better

btw I am a wood elf aristocrat wizard named Lord Dio

Fantastapotamus

I went with ranger and sent in my bear to trigger the conversation and initial fight. Set up a trap on the stairwell. I had Aloth learn slick and spiderweb, which kept them down for long enough that I could pick most of them off. Anyone that was left after I ran out of spells to cast, I just finished off with scrolls and as a normal fight.

Oh and I prioritised the archmage and the paladins.

Get Sagani and use Itumaak to trigger the conversation. Aggro some enemies back to below the stairs and through the door and it should be just a matter of taking out a few at a time. The crazy amount of enemies and poor positioning they start you with in that fight is the real killer there.

I'm so glad this is a valid strategy cause that's what I've been doing (only with my priest)
Guess I'm gonna come back a bit later.

Alastor3

Yeah, though I can't recall any offhand. The easiest way would probably be a rest bonus, if available. Get them at inns for a fee while resting there.

And general PSA: secrets are more common than you'd think. That odd dead end, weird looking wall, or interesting doodad are all worthy candidates for a moment of searching.

I feel like im missing a lot of stuff just because my mechanism isn't high enough :O Like I had to re-run the first dungeon to found a sun-shaped key

Arulan

I just finished it earlier today on Hard/Expert. I had a party of 3, PC (Cipher),
Aloth, and Eder.
All were level 3. You should have noticed that the
Wraiths can summon a Shadow. This is the key to not getting overwhelmed. You need to paralyze, interrupt, or otherwise prevent them from casting the summon (it should appear as a purple icon over them). Focus on the Wraiths first. Additionally, the Wraiths and Shadows are quite vulnerable to fire damage. Aloth at the very least has one fire spell at this point. Also, since they like to bend the rules of engagement (teleporting), try to keep Aloth near someone else who can help if they teleport on him, or save a paralyze or another form of CC if you can.

I just cleaned that place out with a group of four. Three were level three, and one was level two. Was pretty rough a few times, but I did it by sneaking a lot, being careful on positioning when starting fights, and one of my mates was a pally with some helpful defensive and group abilities.

Which of these two areas should I tackle first, Act 1 spoilers:

Raedick's Hold or Caed Noa (however they are spelled)

Also, looking to round out my squad of companions. How do I get the following character?

Looking to recruit Sagani, wiki article says she is in the Woodend Plains. How do I get there?

hemtae

Also, looking to round out my squad of companions. How do I get the following character?

Looking to recruit Sagani, wiki article says she is in the Woodend Plains. How do I get there?

Caed Nua because from there you can get to the Woodend Plains.

Fantastapotamus

You get no XP for successful dialogue uhm "encounters" (I don't know what they are called) right?

First area is not that tough (except for the final encounter) and you can earn some serious cash if you sell all the stuff the enemies drop. If you want that character you need to go through area 2 first though.

Altazor

I honestly can't remember enjoying the opening hours of a game more than this one since, like, 1999 and Planescape: Torment. I've enjoyed this more than the opening hours of BG2.

the "opening hours" in BG2 were, for me, trying to escape that damn intro dungeon. I must have spent like hour and a half just... learning how to play the thing. How to pause. What some spells did. Trying to wrap my head around THAC0 and AC. And getting #rekt by mephits (yes, that noobish) and that party of dwarves.

I struggled.

And when I finally got out of it, Imoen got captured and I had no fucking mage. I didn't realize that I kinda needed one until it was too late: I was already knee-deep in that Circus Tent quest and everybody was crushing my party left and right. I think I had to buy some scrolls to finally kill those illusions (or whatever they were called) that were immune to my attacks.

So... yeah, my "opening hours" in BG2 were fucking rough. I got better.

Saige

I must do better.
So how harsh are the skill checks in the late game? Can you get away with making one of your companions focus on mechanics even if they already have a few points put into other skills?

What framerate are people getting at 5120x2880? With my 780ti it often drops into the high 40s which given the game doesn't have true fullscreen and subsequently doesn't support gsync feels a bit gross.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Question for the end of Raedric's keep.

I beat the king and his cousin or w/e said I can take what I want from his vault. But uh, where is it? I don't see it anywhere.

PBalfredo

Are there any classes that use Resolve as a primary stat? I'm still early into the game with my Rogue, but seeing red-ed out dialog where I could of told people to cut their bullshit is killing me.

Gaz_RB

Question for the end of Raedric's keep.

I beat the king and his cousin or w/e said I can take what I want from his vault. But uh, where is it? I don't see it anywhere.
I can't find it either. Someone mentioned earlier that it could be in the dungeon, but that door is still locked even after you complete the quest.

KingKong

Raedrics Keep is so well designed. I was enjoying the game before but this is on another level. especially the sequence where
you can sneak by enemies by putting on robes, but every time they question you, you need higher requirements to pass by and if you freed that guy in the cell, you can avoid killing the priest

MUnited83

For you.
So about Maerwald

what's the consequence of each choice? I think I will choose to sever the rope but I wonder if I will miss anything interesting.

wolfhowwl

Banned
So about Maerwald

what's the consequence of each choice? I think I will choose to sever the rope but I wonder if I will miss anything interesting.

I chose
the nasty option and got a "per rest" ability that can frighten enemies.

Did I miss something saying to go to Raedric's, or can I just wonder over there and start messing things up?

You get the quest after
resolving a feud that you encounter at the windmill in the first town.

I can't find it either. Someone mentioned earlier that it could be in the dungeon, but that door is still locked even after you complete the quest.

I was wrong about that door, it's just a back way into the dungeon from the higher levels.

Top Bottom