• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Dmax3901

I really don't think Eder is simple. He's actually a rather interesting guy - He's far from the big dumb fighter you'd expect. He's actually more cut out to be a cleric, but life has lead him on a different path. I very much like those types of subtle inversions to trope.

BTW - anyone here playing this type of game for the first time? I'm very interested in knowing what people with no IE background think :)

This is pretty much my first time with this sort of game. I've played games in the same vein (Torchlight, Path of Exile), but this definitely feels different. It's hard as balls, but I'm adapting. There's enough familiar here from other RPGs that I'm not too overwhelmed.

One thing I've noticed is how the story and world building is delivered very differently to other vast RPGs. I can't tell if it's complex or convoluted yet.

Kadayi

Banned
I thought that was Evil Lore when I was going through character creation (went Female Pale Elf Barbarian/Mystic however). Glad to know I wasn't mistaken.

Hmm, maybe my performance issues are because my 780ti isn't working to full capacity. Alt tabbed out and it's only at 60 C. Anyone else had issues like this?

Soph

This game is cool, started it up yesterday... forgot to eat, sleep, pee and could finally get out of it due to sheer force of will when I died somewhat stupidly.

I played 8 hours, no breaks... I'm afraid to start it up again.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can't stop thinking about this game. =x I'm doing a run with made up characters based on my employees. It's hilarious.

Now I want to make a save for a normal playthrough. Can't decide on a class though. I am a Monk in one...Maybe a Guts style Barbarian?

<3 this game!

Edit: OMG You could probably do a great character like Dark Schneider from Bastard!! =D

Corum

Act 1 battle
Any tips on how to kill Raedric? He keeps wiping the floor with me. I've got the 4 companions and 1 fighter with me.

Cerity

This game is cool, started it up yesterday... forgot to eat, sleep, pee and could finally get out of it due to sheer force of will when I died somewhat stupidly.

I played 8 hours, no breaks... I'm afraid to start it up again.

Pretty much my experience so far, when I take breaks I don't want to go back to it due to the sheer amounts of things to do and knowing the amount of time I can spend doing them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
nooooooo

5377545c8c873b9307e62edc7342e11f.png

The list is revenue-based (and also region-specific, although the top 10 is generally consistent), so it's possible GTAV is actually selling less copies.

infi

So where can you find a blunderbuss? Do they even appear in Act 1?

The only one I found so far was sold in Defiance Bay or whatever the big city is called,

So if My created character goes to the Goose and Fox and asks my bartender for a drink, will time and space collapse upon itself?

I'm asking for a friend

Heh, I just got to the Goose and Fox and Bishop told me the story of Erol of Levi.

Anyone else experiencing the bug with the spell cone / targeting graphics not showing the additional intelligence buff to it's range?

God that's pissing me off so much. Literally can't aim spells properly as it's only showing the base cone / targeting range, despite having 18 Intel.

Act 1 battle
Any tips on how to kill Raedric? He keeps wiping the floor with me. I've got the 4 companions and 1 fighter with me.
Aloths fan of flames was the star of that battle for me. If you can position your people before battle, and then get them grouped up with minimal friendly fire you can fire it off and hope you get a good roll.
Either way positioning and prioritization of targets is king. Take out the priest and the mage first if you can.

Can I use custom portrait in this?

Yes.
Put your custom portrait in PillarsOfEternity_Data > data > art > gui > portraits > player > female/male. Then rename your custom portrait to one of the default portraits (backup it first). You'll also have to create a smaller version of your custom portrait.

Chaos17

I think so. Very first town. I found some stairs and went straight down with a party of 3. If I'm not supposed to be there that would make me feel so much better lol.

Located right next to "the tree"

You know that you can comeback later and do it when you're too weak ?
It's not an mmorpg (or Dragon age Inquisition) where you've to clean all the area before moving on.
Also, you only have a party of 3 ? Do you a favor and hire some mercenaries.
Your life will be easier.

Those specters in that ruin are weak to magic, so with mages is doable at low level but better get some levels because the none mages will have difficulties to hit them since they've high dodge.

peakish

I'm hesitant to create another adventurer since there'll be more actually written characters joining later on, but I sure could use a tank for the current boss fight (act 1,
Raedric
), heh. Having to initiate the fight with at least one character immediately being surrounded is tricky.

I'm hesitant to create another adventurer since there'll be more actually written characters joining later on, but I sure could use a tank for the current boss fight (act 1,
Raedric
), heh. Having to initiate the fight with at least one character immediately being surrounded is tricky.
You can just leave your mercenary when you get more characters. They can always rejoin too.

Anno

I really don't think Eder is simple. He's actually a rather interesting guy - He's far from the big dumb fighter you'd expect. He's actually more cut out to be a cleric, but life has lead him on a different path. I very much like those types of subtle inversions to trope.

BTW - anyone here playing this type of game for the first time? I'm very interested in knowing what people with no IE background think :)

Agreed of Eder. It helps that I really like his voice acting, but I think he's actually quite interesting and well written. Garrus Vakarian was the last game companion that I felt was a trusted, reliable sidekick and friend, Eder might just be that in the end.

I have maybe five hours across all of the IE games and I honestly can't stop playing this. I feel like I came to those games too late in my life to appreciate them much, and I've always kinda disliked 2E D&D. I still want to go play through them on easy just so I can focus on the stories, but I feel it's going to be even harder after I sink an absurd number of hours into this. It's weird, it's basically a genre of game I knew I'd love if I could just find the right starting point, and here it is.

goblin

Act 2
I just got locked out of quests from the Crucible Knights because I was too friendly with the Dozen. This would never happen in a superior game like Skyrim :(

This happened to me, too. I actually really like locking out quests based on reputations, but in this case it felt a little weird because I'm a Hero to the Crucible Knights and I've killed multiple groups of Dozen around the city but apparently returning one guy's breastplate (in a way that also made the Knights happy) is enough to get me completely written off.

Ozium

I have the wizard companion but have yet to find another one, I've done the windmill argument quest and went in every house in town but can't find any.. I also saved the cook and I thought that would be one but so far it's not..

Where do I find a second companion I could have sworn people were saying you can find 2 in the first town...

also is it better to do the sidequest to the south or the one to the east first?

sprinkles

I have the wizard companion but have yet to find another one, I've done the windmill quest and went in every house in town but can't find any.. I also saved the cook and I thought that would be one but so far it's not..

Where do I find a second companion I could have sworn people were saying you can find 2 in the first town...
Check the burned down temple in the middle of the town. There's a guy downstairs who will tell you about your second companion.

peakish

You can just leave your mercenary when you get more characters. They can always rejoin too.
Yeah, I'm just cheap lol. No reason to hoard money though so I'm doing it :) Now to figure out whether my tank should to an Aumaua or Moon Godlike race, for their endurance restoration... 30 minutes of character creation incoming!

Easy. Just
side with him and kill the stinking rebels threatening the peace.
Totally gonna do this with a lawful attributed MC the next time, 'cause fuck that guy.

Yeah, I'm just cheap lol. No reason to hoard money though so I'm doing it :) Now to figure out whether my tank should to an Aumaua or Moon Godlike race, for their endurance restoration... 30 minutes of character creation incoming!
Or you can make him Evilore like I did my Rogue.

Ozium

Check the burned down temple in the middle of the town. There's a guy downstairs who will tell you about your second companion.

Thanks!
I was afraid of going down there because I thought it would be a dungeon that would own me before I found more people

VoidVR

Banned
16 hours in. Playing on hard. Running around Defiance Bay. The game is opening up really nicely and I'm loving every minute of it. Suddenly tons of quests and shit to do. This fucking game man.. I'm in rpg heaven.

Dr Dogg

Well after 4 hours I've just got to Gilded Vale after a close call getting into a scrap without any weapon equipped and making a stupid wrong turn into a cave I should have known better after talking to that troubled dude down the road. There's just sooo much to read so far, I'm lapping up anything from item descriptions, bestiary entries, added lore entries and now I'm just stumbling on books too.

Violet_0

Banned
Bounties are awesome. Fights are hard, rewards are great, and backtracking through zones you thought you cleared can bring up some interesting encounters.

Protip: In Defiance Bay (regarding noble families and theft)
don't steal the gem and then refuse to give it to the Dameoval (Damovan? The D family). I mean, you can if you want, it felt right to me because the owner of the gem was an asshole and the Damowamodingdong family were all even worse, but working my way through the city zones, I feel like I've cut myself off from a bunch of quest, relationship, and power struggle stuff. Just a heads up.

yeah, not finishing the quest the "intended way" cuts you off from a questline (or maybe opens another? I dunno). Although I have to wonder how my super helpful, compassionate main character ended up working for a crime syndicate

Galileo

Neo Member
The best part about the new attributes system is that it kind of resolves the combat-roleplaying dichotomy I've seen in other rpgs, meaning that you're no longer forced to choose between attributes that unlock extra dialogue options and attributes that make you proficient in combat (as every single one does both things)
Eder seems to be the most simple archetype to me but I'm expecting that to be turned on it's head eventually.
I'm liking him so far, I really think his "simplicity" is refreshing, a common soldier of humble birth instead of some kind of badass warrior belonging to a secret order.

JC Sera

Ok I just finished the Derrin mission
fuck i think I'm gonna cry
Also havint the grieving mother in your party for that missions makes it worse

Hayabusi

Oh boy, didn't even survive the first trap..:)

And the german translation is unfortunately not really good, will have to switch to english probably.

Apart from that, good start!

Top Bottom