• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

The Chanter phantom is no joke. He is the MVP on my squad right now. Just pop him behind enemy lines after a few rounds and watch him rip people apart.

Also, beat
....................Raedrick...................
on hard. Nothing fancy or too cheesy outside of having Eder initiate the dialogue. Eder was buffed like crazy with super heavy armor and a shield and was able to tank the paladins like a boss. Locked down the enemy mages with various stuns from my mages and then it was just a long battle of attrition.

He straight took out Raedric by himself.
I initially kicked myself for taking the phantom because I already had summon skeletons. Skeletons are good if you need bodies so people can't get behind your lines but their damage is terrible. Phantom rips people apart.

I didn't even do the dialogue, just shot the closest enemy. Made the fight somewhat easier because the archmages didn't get involved to like 3/4 of the fight was over.

Decado

Any indication on what the post release support for the game will be like? Crazy ala Divinity and Wasteland 2, middling (bug fixes and balancing) or bare-bones (just bug fixing)?

EDIT: Mod support?

IvorB

"You must gather your party before venturing forth". I read that and I just felt to come in here :). This looks really cool. Does anyone know if the Mac version is a native port or if it's Wine or Cider or whatever

Durante

Any indication on what the post release support for the game will be like? Crazy ala Divinity and Wasteland 2, middling (bug fixes and balancing) or bare-bones (just bug fixing)?

EDIT: Mod support?
Likely a lot of post-release support, given that the game will get an expansion.

There isn't much mod support, but there are already UI mods.

what does the yellow ring mean on AOE spells
It's foe-only AoE which grows with INT.

lazygecko

To expand on this, here are a few examples.

Using a doorway.

This one is simple.
  1. Retreat to the doorway (or other narrow part of the map).
  2. Block it with your melee characters. Note the exact formation here with the arc. This is designed so that only a single enemy can enter the doorway and be attacked by multiple melee characters.
  3. Nuke away. You can make good use of non-Foe AoE to also catch enemies which might make unexpected moves.

I figured out the chokepoint trick myself, but in the case of those ghosts I think they can teleport and essentially render that tactic useless.

Playing on hard was a bit too much for me. Having to rest every 2 encounters or so down in that temple was just getting frustrating.

PBalfredo

Now, not to get too OT with this but I think in most games the "evil option" is just incredibly boring. It's mostly something like "No, I will kill you and take the money you saved for your starving child muahahahaha"
I'd love a game were the evil option would be something more....elegant. Where you use lies and deception to get what you want. Where you trick people into doing bad things because they benefit you. I want to be an evil mastermind, not just an asshole.

This has been my exact thoughts on playing evil characters as well. When I roll into a town with an evil character, I want to be its kingpin by the end of the day, not the psycho who depopulates it. Every evil option ending in "just stab the guy" is very boring and restricts any other interesting quest branches from emerging. I want more opportunities to lie, cheat and steal. Are there any RPGs that do evil character right?

Durante

I figured out the chokepoint trick myself, but in the case of those ghosts I think they can teleport and essentially render that tactic useless.
They can only teleport to people they see, and only if they don't get interrupted. It's harder, but not useless.

But really, I wanted to illustrate the general principle.

Playing on hard was a bit too much for me. Having to rest every 2 encounters or so down in that temple was just getting frustrating.
You just shouldn't do the temple (or many other things really) as soon as you can. At least that's been my experience.

oh wow kool

So the red part does friendly-fire dmg? even on Easy?
Yes, because this is a game designed by people who understand that some things shouldn'T be options :p

Arguably the most important stat for them. General consensus for casters is INT > MGT > DEX from what I've read.
For Ciphers, MIG trumps it. At heart, they're damage-dealers (even if the way they do damage is more elaborate than most). INT is definitely important, but in pure combat terms a Cipher needs plenty of Might.

lazygecko

Now, not to get too OT with this but I think in most games the "evil option" is just incredibly boring. It's mostly something like "No, I will kill you and take the money you saved for your starving child muahahahaha"
I'd love a game were the evil option would be something more....elegant. Where you use lies and deception to get what you want. Where you trick people into doing bad things because they benefit you. I want to be an evil mastermind, not just an asshole.

I recall there being a BG2 mod where you could manipulate the naive Minsc into rationalizing all your evil-aligned actions.

Well I've been having a fantastic time with this game. So glad I backed this. The few issues I do have with the game are very small in the grand scheme of things.

In terms of bugs, I haven't really seen a lot of them. A few sound bugs when I was dungeon crawling and once the select box stopped appearing when it should have.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The only annoying bug I've had is the mouse cage stops working sometimes. Luckily, you can just alt-tab and go back to fix it in the span of 2 seconds.

Durante

The only "bugs" I've encountered so far in 24 hours game time are typos and the one I posted about with the map texture after alt-tabbing which resolves itself automatically.

No crashes, no quest or mechanics bugs. This is incredibly impressive for a game of this scale.

KScorp

For anyone using GeDoSaTo, having the higher rendering resolution listed in the graphics options selected means the down-sampling is working, right? When I check the GeDoSaTo status it says downsampling isn't enabled, even though 5120x2880@144 is selected. Game doesn't seem to look much different either.

I feel like my settings are wrong... what settings is anyone else using?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The only "bugs" I've encountered so far in 24 hours game time are typos and the one I posted about with the map texture after alt-tabbing which resolves itself automatically.

No crashes, no quest or mechanics bugs. This is incredibly impressive for a game of this scale.

Yep. I've had one repeatable CTD (act 1:
going upstairs to see if I could talk to the contact guy right after the Raedric fight in his hold resolved
), I've seen a few typos, and stronghold buffs seem to persist past resting. That's about it for me. It's arguably the most polished game of its kind at v1.0.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh wow, you can set the options to pause whenever someone in your party spots a trap. This would've saved me a lot of grief when I was being reckless in fast sneak mode.

So folks, I'm curious, how's the game been holding up for you guys bug wise? I've run into a few book titles that were the wrong size, and occasionally because my text is much larger than normal, it scrolls slightly too far past beginning statements, but aside from that I've only seen one enemy kind of slide around in a downed state (and that was a troll, I figured I had to blast him with corrosion or fire).

My Ranger's animal has completely disappeared. Have no idea how to get him back.

Durante

For anyone using GeDoSaTo, having the higher rendering resolution listed in the graphics options selected means the down-sampling is working, right? When I check the GeDoSaTo status it says downsampling isn't enabled, even though 5120x2880@144 is selected. Game doesn't seem to look much different either.

I feel like my settings are wrong... what settings is anyone else using?
Since this is a Unity game, to use GeDoSaTo you need to create a profile for PillarsOfEternity and put this in (replacing the resolution with what you want):
Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

I also suggest Lanczos scaling type. And you need the zoom tweaks in the OP.

I should upload that to github and everything, but I could also play more PoE :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I now this has been brought up before, but what's the deal with the kickstarter backer achievement on steam? It's still not unlocked for me.

Yeah I think I need a "story" mode difficulty then.

AOEs are laughably easy to aim in this game compared to the old ones considering the easy to use selection cursor. Just whenever you want to toss out a friendly fire aoe just make sure your pals are either out of the cursor or only in the green part.

EDIT: Does the making of videos have spoilers? I'd love to watch them but I'm nervous about getting huge portions of the plot spoiled.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
AOEs are laughably easy to aim in this game compared to the old ones considering the easy to use selection cursor. Just whenever you want to toss out a friendly fire aoe just make sure your pals are either out of the cursor or only in the green part.

Except in Expert mode, where you imagine your wizard kind of squinting and shrugging before shooting fireballs. :D

Durante

Yep. I've had one repeatable CTD (act 1:
going upstairs to see if I could talk to the contact guy right after the Raedric fight in his hold resolved
), I've seen a few typos, and stronghold buffs seem to persist past resting. That's about it for me. It's arguably the most polished game of its kind at v1.0.
If you have the time, you could maybe add a link to this post to the OP.

It's all stuff which is obvious to us old-timers, but it's pretty spoiler-free and it might help people who haven't played RPGs that actually reward tactical positioning get more out of the combat in PoE. It would be a shame if they just set the game to easy instead.

Shepard

Bleak Walkers Paladins have the best conversation responses in the game. I usually get destroyed after choosing them, but damn they're good.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What I don't like is how sometimes you can't see anything cause your view is blocked by a wall or a tree. Very annoying in fights.
I'm currently trying to kill
a ghost lady and 4 knights
in a VERY small area and it's really annoying cause it's very hard to keep up with what's happening.

Almighty

So folks, I'm curious, how's the game been holding up for you guys bug wise? I've run into a few book titles that were the wrong size, and occasionally because my text is much larger than normal, it scrolls slightly too far past beginning statements, but aside from that I've only seen one enemy kind of slide around in a downed state (and that was a troll, I figured I had to blast him with corrosion or fire).

Pretty good. I have had one CtD so far and that annoying graphics glitch i posted about earlier, but besides that it seems pretty solid. That glitch though is starting to get mighty annoying as it seems it is getting worse. Though I can't rule out that the problem is with my old pos rig and not the game.

Ketch

I had to switch from hard to normal while looking for maerwald last night. I think my party composition is not the best.

I made my main character a monk. So my ranged initiation options are limited.

But I'm finding normal too easy. And hard too hard. I wish you could set the number of camping supplies separate to difficulty.

What changes if you put it on expert? Is normal expert a thing?

CoolOff

For those of you that have done the Maerwald choice can anyone tell me what happens if you
choose the third option and draw upon the energy of the rope for knowledge

It told me something
about seeing a room deep in the keep, with a powerful force present.

Gvaz

Banned

EDIT: Does the making of videos have spoilers? I'd love to watch them but I'm nervous about getting huge portions of the plot spoiled.

Ive never played the Old Ones

I did try playing IWD1 once years ago, and died to the goblins immediately and uninstalled and never went back. lol

Durante

Pretty good. I have had one CtD so far and that annoying graphics glitch i posted about earlier, but besides that it seems pretty solid. That glitch though is starting to get mighty annoying as it seems it is getting worse. Though I can't rule out that the problem is with my old pos rig and not the game.
What graphics glitch is that?

know any good combo spells lvl 2 ?
Slicken in the path enemies will take when they run towards you + any AoE.

Slicken is seriously OP.

KScorp

Since this is a Unity game, to use GeDoSaTo you need to create a profile for PillarsOfEternity and put this in (replacing the resolution with what you want):
Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

I also suggest Lanczos scaling type. And you need the zoom tweaks in the OP.

I should upload that to github and everything, but I could also play more PoE :p

Thanks. For some reason modifyGetCursorPos breaks everything for me (can't click on a lot of menus) so I removed that line.

Don't see much difference compared to normal 1440p though, guess this game just doesn't benefit much.

Bleak Walkers Paladins have the best conversation responses in the game. I usually get destroyed after choosing them, but damn they're good.

I'm debating Walker or Goldpact knight for my second playthrough. If Walkers get lots of cool dialogue and Golds don't I might go with them then.

Rad-

Slicken in the path enemies will take when they run towards you + any AoE.

Slicken is seriously OP.

Aloth is my slicken bot. I hardly even cast other stuff with him. He and my monk main guy just spam knockdown on all harder enemies and they hardly get a punch in.

Top Bottom