• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Ozium

my wood elf's distance accuracy isn't showing up under active and neither is his spell blast thing (whatever makes the rod/staff do splash damage)

im fucked aren't I? at least I'm early in the game

UnrealEck

Not sure how Endurance and Health works. How is it decided whether damage you take gets applied to Endurance or Health? Is it a percentage to your Health and a percentage to your Endurance based on another stat? How does it work?

Zeliard

Did you test it out?

All of my characters have their racial passives not show up in the Active effects list, also my own Moon Godlike, but when I made my fighter take Moon Godlike's energy to <75% with a meaty greatsword strike, she triggered the racial heal wave like she should.

Same with the human fighting spirit passive when energy below 50% (in combat with actual enemies), and Wood Elf's 4+ meter ranged bonuses. Everything checks out

The one we know for sure to be affected is the passive that gives a 3rd weapon quickslot, but that might be because it's one of the only passives in game that changes the menus. A possible combination of 2 bugs that manages to actually affect the game

Well, wouldn't you know it.

Just tested it and you're right, Silver Tide does still trigger when it reaches those Endurance intervals. Created a new Moon Godlike and it never shows up under Active Effects, regardless.

Aloth does seem to lose his Distant Advantage passive on double-click equipment changes (it's normally always active but disappears from Active Effects after the bug), but I'm not sure how to test if it's still actually working despite.

Just tried it. If I doubleclick the racial passive bonus is gone. Does it mean that I'm safe? I don't remember doubleclicking to substitute a piece of equipment. If my racial bonus is still there I think I'm safe. I didn't check the companions though !

Nordicus

my wood elf's distance accuracy isn't showing up under active and neither is his spell blast thing (whatever makes the rod/staff do splash damage)

im fucked aren't I? at least I'm early in the game
Aloth does seem to lose his Distant Advantage passive on double-click equipment changes (it's normally always active but disappears from Active Effects after the bug), but I'm not sure how to test if it's still actually working despite.
Test it, should be simple. Attack another party member in close range by pressing A key or the sword button in UI, then click on the combat result text to see the actual roll.

Then do the same in long range. If Accuracy got a small +5 bonus, it's all good. With my game, it looks like all my bonuses are gone, but they're still functioning.

Varna

Not sure how Endurance and Health works. How is it decided whether damage you take gets applied to Endurance or Health? Is it a percentage to your Health and a percentage to your Endurance based on another stat? How does it work?

It gets applied to both.

Finally getting to put some time into this. Really like it so far.

Pretty happy with my character... but just out of curiosity, from a pure combat point of view how is it...

Human, Cipher. Might 12, Con 10, Dex 18, Per 14, Int 16 and Res 10.

These guys in the Temple of Eothas are not joke.

Tukker

I gotta say I really appreciate the note taking system they implemented but its so annoying that it still switches to other screens like the inventory when I try to type the letter "i".

Zeliard

Test it, should be simple. Attack another party member in close range by pressing A key or the sword button in UI, then click on the combat result text to see the actual roll.

Then do the same in long range. If Accuracy got a small +5 bonus, it's all good. With my game, it looks like all my bonuses are gone, but they're still functioning.

Yep, did it right after I posted that, heh. I was looking at the character stats instead of the rolls.

Everything checks out. Good news, I guess.

Nordicus

It applies to both in full.

Most heals only apply to Endurance, which as a system is merely a threshold for your "per encounter" health, but you can get Once Per Rest abilities that heal your actual long-term Health as well on level-up.

JC Sera

So uhm, how do I stop every enemy in an encounter from ganging up on one guy until he's dead?
Look up engagement rules
AOE stuns/blinds
So, how's everyone faring as far as money goes? I feel like I never have enough money for anything between enchanting and the cost of copying scrolls...and now I've got all these stronghold upgrades to spend money on too. I've got like, 400 gp and it seems like it's basically gone as soon as I get it.

Also, am I alone in being a little disappointed that they continued the thing where merchants will stock a ton of really expensive, storied items when there's basically no logical reason for them to do so? I feel like I'm missing out on really cool gear because I can't possibly buy it from these guys, and presumably those same items will never show up in the world proper.
Are you playing on expert mode (no unlimited stash?)

So, how's everyone faring as far as money goes? I feel like I never have enough money for anything between enchanting and the cost of copying scrolls...and now I've got all these stronghold upgrades to spend money on too. I've got like, 400 gp and it seems like it's basically gone as soon as I get it.

Also, am I alone in being a little disappointed that they continued the thing where merchants will stock a ton of really expensive, storied items when there's basically no logical reason for them to do so? I feel like I'm missing out on really cool gear because I can't possibly buy it from these guys, and presumably those same items will never show up in the world proper.

Varna

You have played Infinity Engine games right? It always feels like you will never have enough for these items... until you find some rare items of your own that you don't want and to can sell them for huge amounts of money. I had ridiculous amounts of money by the end.

As for why they have them in the first place... eh, it's not too farfetched to believe they traded for them and are just being assholes and marking up the price.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I have almost all the stronghold upgrades paid for in Act 2, 20k cash, and a ton of Fine trash items in reserve. That's with none of the Endless Paths explored or anything unusual, and I've bought a few of the big ticket vendor items. Sounds like you may not have a thief. ;b

There need to be expensive things to buy or money becomes pointless. Having ludicrously expensive stuff to lust over is great, and no game did it better than Baldur's Gate II with its Adventure Mart. Coming back from a 10 hour campaign, I mean, "side quest," selling almost everything, and then buying one badass item that you've been lusting over in the display case, that's what it's all about.

UnrealEck

It applies to both in full.

Most heals only apply to Endurance, which as a system is merely a threshold for your "per encounter" health, but you can get Once Per Rest abilities that heal your actual long-term Health as well on level-up.

So if I have 70 Endurance, 300 Health and take a hit which does 20 damage, i'll end up with 50 Endurance and 280 Health?

Durante

I just cheesed
Raedric
so hard. I think the entire keep must smell like cheddar.

All in all that's not exactly a game-breaking bug, though my opinion might be influenced by the fact that I haven't had the opportunity to put dozens of hours in already like some people ;)
There are really multiple reasons why it's not too bad:
  • It's not too significant, that's why most people only notice it when it's pointed out. However, I'd still be pretty down about it, if it were not for the fact that...
  • It's possible to fix it with some console magic, as I outlined earlier.

Coming back from a 10 hour campaign, I mean, "side quest,"
Heh, that's very apt.

iiicon

I've upgraded the inn at my stronghold but it's still dilapidated and I can't receive any bonuses from resting. Is there a second upgrade I'm just not seeing?

Anno

I've upgraded the inn at my stronghold but it's still dilapidated and I can't receive any bonuses from resting. Is there a second upgrade I'm just not seeing?

There are a number of upgrades from there. The first one just gives you the chance to rest. Only the upstairs is rebuilt.

Gorger

It sucks that they screwed over the left handed people by hard mapping the numpad keys to party selection grouping, with no way to unset them in the controls section in options.

This messes up my party highlighting every time I press the numpad keys for sneaking, highlighting objects or if I use them for spell shortcuts. I can't believe such an oversight made it past beta.

Does anyone have any workarounds so I can manually unassign the numpad 0-9 keys... perhaps in a text file in the pillars of eternity directory?

I looked a little, but didn't find anything.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yeah I just tested my barbarian passive (greater carnage) and even though it's not showing up under active effects, it's still working.

Now my only concern, so should active effects only be racials, class passives, and items? Or are there in game events and the like that will give me other active effects that I might be losing out on :/? Cause right now my class passives and human passive are fine (despite not showing).

Nordicus

There are really multiple reasons why it's not too bad:
  • It's not too significant, that's why most people only notice it when it's pointed out. However, I'd still be pretty down about it, if it were not for the fact that...
  • It's possible to fix it with some console magic, as I outlined earlier.
And let's not forget:

• In many cases might be a mere character screen, or general UI bug, and the combat itself is unaffected

Annubis

How the fuck do I beat
Raedric
?

Jesus fuck that fight is hard as hell

Why is everyone having problems with him?
I went at it with a half dead party and won easy.

Knockdown works so you can just shove him on the ground and have everyone wail on him.

Durante

How the fuck do I beat
Raedric
?

Delicious Emmenthaler. You can also use Camembert, Mozarella or Gouda if you want. Not Feta though, that stuff is disgusting.

What I'm trying to say is, cheese. Or, if you prefer, employ unconventional tactics.

Then how?
What I did was
do the dialogue with my rogue with all the party in another room, turn invisible as soon as battle starts, and then pull the enemies in small groups into the room and slaughter them
. This way I managed to complete the fight with my level 4 party on hard, without anyone getting knocked out.

Welp I'm fucked. I have the bug. 12hrs in. I don't know what to do...Start a 2nd save with an alt, or just restart my current character...
:\

Durante

Welp I'm fucked. I have the bug. 12hrs in. I don't know what to do...Start a 2nd save with an alt, or just restart my current character...
First, test if it's just not showing up in the UI or if it's really missing. If it's really missing, use the method I outlined a few pages ago to fix it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I get the impression that pretty much no one faced that fight head-on, myself included

I did. I think?

I positioned my ranged (A ranger, two chanters, and a ranged rogue) and sent my tank up to chat with them. Then ran back down the stairs so for a more open fight. Sent my Monk in and my Fighter and Monk tanked while my ranged was like a fire squad. When my chanters were ready, I called skeletons and a phantom to help beat some ass. It was still a very close right though. Very fun!

Nordicus

Unless you have a passive that gives you an additional weapon quickslot (because this passive affects actual menu functions), there is an incredibly high chance your passives work as intended in combat.

Can you test out your passives and tell us if they work according to combat log, before succumbing to low morale?

First, test if it's just not showing up in the UI or if it's really missing. If it's really missing, use the method I outlined a few pages ago to fix it.

Unless you have a passive that gives you an additional weapon quickslot (because this passive affects actual menu functions), there is an incredibly high chance your passives work as intended in combat.

Can you test out your passives and tell us if they work according to combat log, before succumbing to moral defeat?

Will do.

Violet_0

Banned
Then how?

the "cheapest" strategy is to
find a doorway, send a character with a ranged weapon to attack one of the knights at the stairs (press "a" to attack friendly characters) and lure them to your group, then tank it out mano-a-mano while raining down aoe spells. You can also talk with him then quickly run back with a character (I haven't managed to do this again with my second char), send an animal companion to initiate the conversation or sacrifice one of your companions. And you should probably have a group of 5 for this fight

How the fuck do I beat
Raedric
?

Don't start the fight by talking to Raderic, start it by attacking them at range and letting them come to you. This lets you begin the fight without being completely surrounded. Also, be sure to take out the priests quickly since they can heal the other enemies.

So this may be a dumb question, do my spells hurt my allies? If so I have been making combat a lot harder than it otherwise would have been.

Durante

So this may be a dumb question, do my spells hurt my allies? If so I have been making combat a lot harder than it otherwise would have been.
AoE (area of effect) spells feature friendly fire (hit allies) within the zone indicated in red in the targeting UI. The yellow part, which grows with INT, only hits foes.

Top Bottom