• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Nordicus

Don't forget that priests can cast an invulnerability shield on a target putting them out of combat.
That spell is such an amazing lifesaver compared to the D&D equivalent! I think in D&D that same spell (Sanctuary?) could only be used on the caster themselves, and it was fairly slow to cast.

Violet_0

Banned
The problem I'm having is that the enemies just run around to my vulnerable guys and engage them

use your tank like a sponge or net, put them in front of your group and soak up the "aggro". Two melee characters with good spacing can catch most of an incoming enemy group, not counting teleporting ghosts

and always look for chokepoints

DirtRiver

Don't start the fight by talking to Raderic, start it by attacking them at range and letting them come to you. This lets you begin the fight without being completely surrounded. Also, be sure to take out the priests quickly since they can heal the other enemies.

Done. Thanks, I forgot I could attack with them being "friendly" to me

goblin

How do you revive someone with no endurance? Shit happens way too much when I have party members who can no longer fight?

You can craft a Scroll of Revival. It takes Orlan's Cradle, Garnet and Drake's Talon at one apiece along with 225 copper. Makes two. Requires level five and six lore to use.

Alternatively, Priests have a 5th Level spell and Paladins have a special ability (though I don't know when it becomes available -- at least level nine). There might be other class abilities, also.

Durante

That spell is such an amazing lifesaver compared to the D&D equivalent! I think in D&D that same spell (Sanctuary?) could only be used on the caster themselves, and it was fairly slow to cast.
Well, there's Shield of Lathander.

Ah, so many nice memories of cheese.

Menome

Okay so if I read correctly earlier in the thread, once you've allocated Attributes during character-creation, that's pretty much it for those values. You never increase them on Level-Ups etc?

My way of adapting to combat is being very persistent with my saves. I'll usually save after each encounter or before entering a dark room so that if I need to I can reload and be ready. In a lot of cases where I know a fight is coming I position my people before anything else and then send one of my tanks ahead. I let him get spotted and then have him run back to my group so that everyone is in position. The combat has only become more fun as I learn more about it and the tactics. I also always have my Cipher in a position where if one of my squishies needs to disengage I can have them lock the enemy down while the squishy escapes.

If you have a rogue or rogues try to potshot with them with a crossbow / bow first instead of pulling with the tank, they have a big sneak attack bonus. Rogues are awesome scouts.

I don't have any rogues yet. I might end up recruiting one soon.

Conezays

So anyone else have file integrity issues with their installation? I downloaded all 3 files and checked file integrity in the setup options-had installation fail twice. Not sure what's going on here.

My way of adapting to combat is being very persistent with my saves. I'll usually save after each encounter or before entering a dark room so that if I need to I can reload and be ready. In a lot of cases where I know a fight is coming I position my people before anything else and then send one of my tanks ahead. I let him get spotted and then have him run back to my group so that everyone is in position. The combat has only become more fun as I learn more about it and the tactics.

If you have a rogue or rogues try to potshot with them with a crossbow / bow first instead of pulling with the tank, they have a big sneak attack bonus. Rogues are awesome scouts.

Here's something for anyone else looking for descent godlikes.
I didn't draw these; just googled them and cropped.

OXKAQws.png

ePmKhDZ.png

ExDxsSD.png

tpNZQUS.png

Are there any more? I need new portraits stat.

Mazre

Urghhh, is the Temple of Eothas not intended for early groups? Have a party of 3 so far and this 6 skuldr fight (including 2 kings) on the second floor is just absolutely wrecking me.

Burt

Holy crap tunnels beneath the keep level 8. What a struggle.

Looking forward to the Path of Iron run after this though, that'll be crazy.

In the options menu, under the "Auto-Pause sub menu, you can have slow mode automatically activated during combat. It's perfect. I've been playing with that since launch.

Urghhh, is the Temple of Eothas not intended for early groups? Have a party of 3 so far and this 6 skuldr fight (including 2 kings) on the second floor is just absolutely wrecking me.

I managed it with 3, what's your composition? IIRC I just used a ton of aoe from my wizard and cipher to thin the ranks.

Shaldome

Slaughtered
Raedric VII
on the first attempt. I think I may already be over the early-game difficulty hump. :(

That is what I thought and the I got destroyed by a pack of Lions.

I chose the cruel option
and got an ability out of it

I think everyone gets a ability there. What the different options give you as I have read in this thread are
+ prestige or + security for you stronghold or access to three rooms in the endless dungeon below the keep.

In other news: party banter!

Edér: "Sagani, does your fox bite?"

Sagani; "Yes."

Edér: "Can I pet him anyway?"

Sagani: "It's your hand."

Edér: "I'm gonna pet him."

Mazre

Warrior, mage, rogue. The little guys I can get down if things go well but the kings just crush me. Trying confusion, aoe, chaining disables, lowered difficulty etc.

Warrior, mage, rogue. The little guys I can get down if things go well but the kings just crush me. Trying confusion, aoe, chaining disables, lowered difficulty etc.

Make sure to use potions if you've picked up any. If all else fails head to the inn and recruit some more party members to help you.

Durante

There's really no point in trying to hard at early- game challenges without a full party.

I mean, I did it too, but it's really pointless :p

Galileo

Neo Member
WIth so much to read I was wondering whether PoE is actually one of most text-heavy rpgs ever made, I don't remember the Baldur's Gate games having so much prose but I'm not sure how it compares to PS: Torment.

Durante

WIth so much to read I was wondering whether PoE is actually one of most text-heavy rpgs ever made, I don't remember the Baldur's Gate games having so much prose but I'm not sure how it compares to PS: Torment.
I think Torment was at least equally text-heavy in dialogue, and probably heavier in environment descriptions, but I don't think it had as much lore text (e.g. books) to read.

I also suspect that this might be a significantly larger game overall, but I of course have to play a lot more to be certain.

The engagement system is the single greatest mechanical improvement over the IE games.

Although Eder is almost too good at tanking. It's ridiculous. He's just a wall.

klonere

Banned
In other news: party banter!

Edér: "Sagani, does your fox bite?"

Sagani; "Yes."

Edér: "Can I pet him anyway?"

Sagani: "It's your hand."

Edér: "I'm gonna pet him."

The delivery of the lines by Eder is what makes that though

So what did everyone do for the Sanitarium quest?

God I knew things were going to go to shit as soon as you went into the patients area. Never a good place to be. I've tried to straight up kill Azo several times cos he had it coming but that just aggros everyone on the top floor to you and loses you a ton of rep in Defiance Bay. I just ran straight up to Mr.Statue instead. Guess this quest wraps up later because its not pointing me anywhere in particular

Also

Did anyone NOT kill Raedric? Didn't like how Kolse was more or less using me for a power play. One lord is much the same as another to my Death Godlike rouge, hey if you tell me straight up I'd react better :p

Lingitiz

The bug convinced me to re-roll. Running with a Cipher now and blowing through a lot of the early encounters I struggled with. Cipher is much more fun than the crappy Paladin I was running. It definitely helps that I made it a priority to get a full team of 6 before tackling any of the early dungeons now.

Anyone getting bad performance in this? I'm averaging in the mid 20's on a GTX860M

Check your power settings, I'm running on the same card and get a smooth 60.

petghost

Banned
The engagement system is the single greatest mechanical improvement over the IE games.

Although Eder is almost too good at tanking. It's ridiculous. He's just a wall.

I dno how I feel about it... It often winds up making battles pretty stagnant as far as movement is concerned. I think it might be cooler if it was limited to certain classes/enemies.

hemtae

Wow, I'm not a fan of engagement like you guys are. I find it too restrictive on movement and positioning and when things start to go south, it makes it harder right the ship. I do agree that Pillars of Eternity is better with it than without and I like how enemies can't just push past my front line and murder my squishy stuff like they did in the IE games.

Nordicus

No, the single greatest improvement is AoE range indicators. Engagement can take the #2 spot :p
So can we say stealth mechanics are #3, slowdown mode is #4, and highly improved party pathfinding from IE games is #5?

No more micromanaging that one character who decided to take the extreme detour/dead end route because they couldn't fit through a doorway the exact moment they wanted to.

pahamrick

I feeling Wizard a lot more than I was a Paladin. On my Paladin I had to turn things down to normal because I was just having too much trouble.

On the Wizard, I've now got a full party (4 Companions + 1 Adventurer) and I'm not having any troubles so far on Hard. It's also possible I've gotten better at the combat, but hey.

Durante

Wow, lions are no joke.

So can we say stealth mechanics are #3, slowdown mode is #4, and highly improved party pathfinding from IE games is #5?

No more micromanaging that one character who decided to take the extreme detour/dead end route because they couldn't fit through a doorway the exact moment they wanted to.
I never use slowdown mode ever, but OK. I'll just substitute speedup mode with it in the list ;)

Miletius

And the game just really opened up for me. I got the stronghold, and can go down towards the Endless Paths or head to Defiance Bay or head back to Gilded Vale and tackle some sidequests that need to get done.

Holy shit this game is good. Haven't even looked at Bloodborne since Thursday.

Miletius

Question about grimores. So if I have an extra one, can my mage equip it and cast more spells? Or is he restricted to a certain number of books? Cause I have 3 right now, and I'm wondering if I can just swap them out when he's exhausted his first set or not. Not quite sure how it works.

Vamphuntr

Am I the only one playing only with the story companions? I don't want to miss their quest and I feel creating more adventurer is like cheating T.T

Am I the only one playing only with the story companions? I don't want to miss their quest and I feel creating more adventurer is like cheating T.T

I only have 4 companions so far
I just got my stronghold
so I'm just using a placeholder recruit until I get another companion to fill the slot.

Varna

Question about grimores. So if I have an extra one, can my mage equip it and cast more spells? Or is he restricted to a certain number of books? Cause I have 3 right now, and I'm wondering if I can just swap them out when he's exhausted his first set or not. Not quite sure how it works.

You are still bound by your number of cast per day. Seems like the main purpose is for copying spells to your own spellbook.

Speaking of copying spells... Why does it cost money to do that? I understand from a gameplay point of a view... but it's weird that you are throwing away money to learn spells and craft certain items.

Durante

I am playing a chanter, any thoughts on that character class? Seems kind of passive so far, but I'm level 2 :)
I don't use it as my main class, but I've found
Kana Rua
incredibly useful so far. Both the passive phrases and the active invocations are pretty powerful - especially for something which is essentially unlimited and still allows you to perform any other action.

Man, I thought you would be going with expert mode.
No. If it didn't prevent AoE markers I might, but I love those far too much to give them up for some dubious sense of satisfaction at being an official "expert".

Xiraiya

Oh man, I started playing PoE the other day and got up to
meeting the guy I assume is the Antagonist right after first dungeon.
I had an incredible realization that he's voiced by the guy who voiced Virgil in Arcanum (Your first follower that stays with you for pretty much the whole game)

Virgil, he's much higher pitched in Arcanum as it's a younger character. Damn you Obsidian, you hit me in just the right Nostalgia spot.
I still adore Arcanum to this day.

Top Bottom