• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I kind of hate how much I like this game.

Varna

I'm playing a melee cipher and I like it a lot. Forewarning though, cipher is pretty squishy, especially at lower levels. I use her as a striker/mezzer. She starts by casting, then goes in after the front line fighters are already engaged.

Yup. Doing the exact same thing. Though I usually open with arbalest shot. Then just run around stunning fools.

I'm really glad skills are not so class dependent anymore. I always liked my main handling most of the tinkering but that left me with Rogue most of the time. Not that I don't enjoy backstabbing... but this is a good change of pace.

Arken2121

So..been playing on PotD difficulty and I pretty much have to treat every encounter like a boss fight. I'm at the
temple where the phantoms are pretty much 2-shotting my tank.
Awesome game just you have to be SO careful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Where the hell is
Maerwald? I've got the key and I've scoured the first level of the dungeon for anywhere to use it, there's just this damn magical barrier and a door in the southwest I can't even interact with

Vamphuntr

Where the hell is
Maerwald? I've got the key and I've scoured the first level of the dungeon for anywhere to use it, there's just this damn magical barrier and a door in the southwest I can't even interact with

Top left room next to the stair you came from. You have to lockpick the door.

So, in my new run, I've decided to have my Chanter pull double duty as a Rogue (for RP purposes, she's a punk rock activist). Is this wise?

Dmax3901

I've spent this latest session (which is probably upwards of five hours), just wandering around Defiance Bay, checking out all the different factions and doing any quests that come up.

I loved DA:I, but it's fascinating how I'm just not getting burned out with PoE. It's like reading a really good book.

Ketch

It's like reading a really good book.

Yes! That's such a good way to describe it. I spent like 6 hours just exploring defiance bay, there's so much to do! And then I found out the stronghold is like ass creed bro level of addictive!

Hiring adventurers just to put them on stronghold missions. Good bye life.

Onemic

The bug convinced me to re-roll. Running with a Cipher now and blowing through a lot of the early encounters I struggled with. Cipher is much more fun than the crappy Paladin I was running. It definitely helps that I made it a priority to get a full team of 6 before tackling any of the early dungeons now.

Check your power settings, I'm running on the same card and get a smooth 60.

That was it. Thanks

Is there any way to play this game with dual monitor set up? The in-game mouse doesn't recognize that the second monitor is on and drags mouse off the game when I scroll.

edit: nm, fixed it

Thus far I've spent the majority of this game getting my ass kicked. I'm thinking of just hopping down to easy, because no one in my party can stand to get hit and it's frustrating. Maybe a ranger was a bad choice? Who knows, not enjoying my time thus far though..

Mitch

Banned
I'm on the
Dank Spores
portion of
A Mother's Plea
, and I am getting absolutely wrecked.

Any tips?

jtb

Banned
I'm having a great time so far, but I really can't wait to see what they do in a sequel/expansion and they have enough time/money/goodwill to make a game that actually has a plot.

Mitch

Banned
I'm honestly not sure if I should tell you where to go and get other companions but at that point I believe I had 3 or 4 other party members.

Highly recommend grabbing Eder, Durance, and Kana Rua ASAP. It's not hard to miss all three of them. You should really get them before doing any dungeons.
I figured more party members would be my best bet. Thanks for the help.

is a melee focused priest a bad idea? I don't know much about this game yet. just getting started.
That's what I made. So far it's going alright.

Kana Rua and his gun does SO much damage. It's ridiculous. He practically one shots few enemies early on. But that horrible loading time and accuracy makes up for that op damage.

You are still bound by your number of cast per day. Seems like the main purpose is for copying spells to your own spellbook.

Speaking of copying spells... Why does it cost money to do that? I understand from a gameplay point of a view... but it's weird that you are throwing away money to learn spells and craft certain items.

Perhaps it is expensive to purchase the correct inks and pens/brushes to do the copying. In my imagination spell books are colourfully illustrated and those inks wouldn't be cheap. Or you may be paying someone more trained in copy-writing to do it for you ;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Six hours in and I'm in love. The density of content is incredible. The RPGs of the last few years, wonderful though they've been, have just been tiding me over until this arrived. Its beautiful and I'm so happy I could help make it happen

Varna

Perhaps it is expensive to purchase the correct inks and pens/brushes to do the copying. In my imagination spell books are colourfully illustrated and those inks wouldn't be cheap. Or you may be paying someone more trained in copy-writing to do it for you ;)

These are great ideas and they would serve the lore well... if you couldn't enhance out in the middle no nowhere.

Gaz_RB

Kana Rua and his gun does SO much damage. It's ridiculous. He practically one shots few enemies early on. But that horrible loading time and accuracy makes up for that op damage.

Pretty much everyone in my party save two bow users have a gun. An opening volley before a fight can eradicate a frontline.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm on the
Dank Spores
portion of
A Mother's Plea
, and I am getting absolutely wrecked.

Any tips?

If you wait long enough in scouting mode one of them will path towards that bend nw of the entrance. You can then pull the one without the others.

So the thing that I love the best about this game is figuring out tactics. I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of RTwP, but I decided to embrace it with this game. It wasn't until after the Temple below Gilded Vale that I also figured out that I could slow down combat as well. Oh the tables turned at that point, my friends.

Now I've got my PC with a Fine pistol, Eder with a Fine War bow, and both Aloth and Durance with Fine arbalests and I am wrecking fools. Most times I drop them before they get close. When they do get close, I love using corridors and doorways to my advantage with PC and Eder cutting them down while D buffs and A drops fan of flames.

So. Good.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I cannot wait to make my Evil Dick Monk run in this game. Just a fuck you crazy dude who ruins lives with his bare hands. All the cruel and aggressive responses are so funny but I'm not playing that right now so I always go clever, benevolent or passionate.

I've encountered a few annoying Stronghold bugs where hirelings don't automatically get paid and taxes don't get collected.

This means I have to dismiss and rehire the same guards each day if I don't want them to turn hostile. Fix it please.

Bogey

Banned
Whoa, just beat R
eadric
- what a tough fight. I only have 5 party members, and still relatively early in the game, don't even have my stronghold yet.

Strategy was to
position my 4 party members behind the door to the left, lay down a fireball trap right in front of the door. Then send my tank to Readric and start the fight. Then run back to the door where my group was waiting, have my tank + another melee block the doorway with my mage firing off all his AEs while my priest heals everybody up.

Toughest fight I had so far, took probably 20 tries or so til I used that strategy. Fun though. Playing on normal difficulty though, don't think I would've had a chance on hard.

Mitch

Banned
If you wait long enough in scouting mode one of them will path towards that bend nw of the entrance. You can then pull the one without the others.
Good to know.

I just added Eder to my party. Enjoyed the conversation beforehand, and now I'm off to Caed Nua.

Bastos

I don't know which class to main! I've waited for so long, yet I can't choose a class ;-;

This is so difficult.

Torn between Barbarian, Paladin and Rogue (it would be my first Rogue ever). I always went for Paladin in games, but I don't want to be well mannered, etc all the time.

Are there places where you can easily stock up on rope, hooks, and the like or do you need to find them? Inns don't seem to stock them.

Blacksmith did have hammer and chisel.

ElyrionX

Got the first four unique NPCs once I hit Gilded Vale for the first time. How far away are the other four? Should I recruit a generic NPC to make a full party or would a party of five suffice for now?

pahamrick

My party right now is just decimating everything I'm coming across.

My Level 3 Wizard with wand for standard auto attacks
Level 3 Durance with a pistol
I've built a Level 3 Eder up as my front line tank
A level 3 Rogue Adventurer with an Arbalest
Level 3 Kana with his Arquebus
Level 3 Aloth also with a wand

Any time there's only one or two enemies, they just get decimated. A full group doesn't fair much better now that I'm getting better at positioning and situational awareness.

Top Bottom