• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just started the game, is there disarming? I just lost my priest's mace somehow....

Did you choose to save Hoden by throwing your weapon?

Cause you threw your weapon and now it's gone.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
In the options menu, under the "Auto-Pause sub menu, you can have slow mode automatically activated during combat. It's perfect. I've been playing with that since launch.

+1 to this.

It's made combat more fun for me personally now that I can actually follow what's going on.

Durante, I read you're playing a Rogue right? (Or at least have one). Just wondering what's your weapon setup and if you struggle against armored foes, particularly groups of them. EDIT: I was using firearms / crossbows (For opening salvos), however my characters "Quick Switch" talent bugged out.

My initial save from launch was with a Rogue, and I utterly destroyed enemies via applying status effects and getting the awesome damage bonuses from the Rogue passive. However, later on I struggled against armored foes, hitting a miserable 1-10 damage per swing....moreso on the lower end of that scale.

This was using a Sabre / Stiletto btw. Have you ran into similar problems?

Burt

Durante, I read you're playing a Rogue right? (Or at least have one). Just wondering what's your weapon setup and if you struggle against armored foes, particularly groups of them. EDIT: I was using firearms / crossbows (For opening salvos), however my characters "Quick Switch" talent bugged out.

My initial save from launch was with a Rogue, and I utterly destroyed enemies via applying status effects and getting the awesome damage bonuses from the Rogue passive. However, later on I struggled against armored foes, hitting a miserable 1-10 damage per swing....moreso on the lower end of that scale.

Single-handed weapons just aren't that good against heavily armored targets because their DR is too high.If you're doing 4 base damage after DR, even multipliers don't help that much.

Shaldome

Wow, lions are no joke.

I warned you all. :p

Durante, I read you're playing a Rogue right? (Or at least have one). Just wondering what's your weapon setup and if you struggle against armored foes, particularly groups of them.

I have two fine stilletos on my main character rogue and he does fine when behind an enemy doing sneak attacks. I don't think you have to be exactly behind them to get them. I took Dirty Fighting and Deep Wounds
as rogue talents and Wepon Focus: Noble and Two Wepon Style as Offensie skills. Head on I only go for robe wearers like mages and priests, as you will get wrecked by fighters.

Durante

You are still bound by your number of cast per day. Seems like the main purpose is for copying spells to your own spellbook.

Speaking of copying spells... Why does it cost money to do that? I understand from a gameplay point of a view... but it's weird that you are throwing away money to learn spells and craft certain items.
Because Joshua Eric Sawyer believes in mechanical balance above realism :p

But really, I can't even get too angry about it considering how great PoE is.

I built a rogue as an adventurer at the very beginning and I was using her until just now. However, I only used an arbalest with her pretty much. Combined with the "Sure-Handed Ila Nocked Her Arrows with Speed" chant it was pretty damn effective, and easily my highest damage per hit in the party, so no problem with high DR.

Thoughts on companions so far? Any standouts? Any disappointments? I've recruited all but one, can't decide on my final squad.

Main character is a Wizard, AOE nuker. Definites I think are: Eder for tanking, Durance for buffs and heals. and probably Kana Rua for off-tanking / buffs.

Thinking for the last two going with Grieving Mother for debuffs and Sagani for damage.

Recommendations?

Also, are shields worth it? Should all tanks just rock the heaviest armors and shields I can find?

Madouu

I thought it was weird too but then I tried thinking of a more elegant solution to justify spending gold without having to go to a merchant to upgrade and I couldn't.
I am also not very smart so that might be it

Durante

Thoughts on companions so far? Any standouts? Any disappointments? I've recruited all but one, can't decide on my final squad.

Main character is a Wizard, AOE nuker. Definites I think are: Eder for tanking, Durance for buffs and heals. and probably Kana Rua for off-tanking / buffs.

Thinking for the last two going with Grieving Mother for debuffs and Sagani for damage.

Recommendations?

Also, are shields worth it? Should all tanks just rock the heaviest armors and shields I can find?
Of the companions I found so far, the ones I'll definitely keep are Eder and Kana Rua, because I like their characters. And the one I'll definitely drop the second someone better shows up is Aloth, not only is he redundant with my main class-wise, I also don't like him :p

As for shields, I find the deflection very valuable for a tank.

ethelred

In other news: party banter!

Edér: "Sagani, does your fox bite?"

Sagani; "Yes."

Edér: "Can I pet him anyway?"

Sagani: "It's your hand."

Edér: "I'm gonna pet him."

Later:
Sagani: "How's the hand?"
Edér: "Turning purple. Might have to cut it off."
Sagani: "I warned you not to pet him.
Edér: "If I'm not supposed to pet him, why is he so soft?"

Reasonable question.

Tenrius

Completed a few fortress upgrades. Such a cool aspect of the game, but the location itself looks surprisingly barren, not a single soul in sight. Looks strange, especially since event descriptions mention patrols, defenders, etc (not to mention that someone's repairing all those buildings I pay money for). Wouldn't hurt to place a few NPCs there. Or will they appear later on (not counting merchants and such)?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can chanters only have one invocation summon out at a time, or can I have one of each level? Like say, a level 1 phantom and a level 2 wurm summon?

I remember someone saying they couldn't have both levle 1 summons out at once so I am worried about taking a level 2 summon.

Can chanters only have one invocation summon out at a time, or can I have one of each level? Like say, a level 1 phantom and a level 2 wurm summon?

I remember someone saying they couldn't have both levle 1 summons out at once so I am worried about taking a level 2 summon.

I hope we can otherwise we're stuck with useless spells :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Well the cone Paralyze AoE seems like a really good level 2 invo, but I'd want my first to be wurm summons assuming I can have both them and the phantom out for fights that last 7+ phrases.

Anoregon

So my chanter is a plate wearing two handed weilding mofo with 9 might, does that make any sense? Because that's what he will be for the rest of the game.

My chanter has 13 might and so far I've been flail+shield, but I I like to keep my options open. I'm thinking about sticking a good 21hander on him if I find one, or even a gun.

Volodja

Only one.
If you try a level 1 summon while a level 2 is out the level 2 fades away.
Learned that the hard way.
To be fair, after you get 2 level 2 incantations you probably don't even have time to use your level 1s anymore.
Just use your more effective summon and for the second level 2 invocation take something that you can spam every 4 phrases (either the Charm or the Paralyze if you don't have high Might, I imagine).
For that reason I'm probably not gonna take both summons at level 2, I'll stick with the Wurms only (although I took the Wisps on Kana Rua).

Durante

Hmm, 3:30 am, time to stop playing for the day and get some rest. But where?

screenshot_2015-03-29mmobr.jpg

Ah, there's an idea!

Anoregon

I'm also totally stuck on what talent to take. I'm leaning towards Bloody Slaughter or one of the weapon masteries (probably adventurer.)

Altazor

Ok, gotta ask - any good tips for (Act I, Watcher quest)
taking down Maerwald? I enter to his room, have a LENGTHY conversation, lots of info, then he decides to attack me as soon as it's over. And I get #rekt because he has a pretty nasty buff that makes most of my attacks useless? Which spell can I use to bypass that buff? It's a shame that I get crushed, because I don't have any desire to repeat that lengthy conversation again and again

pls halp me GAF, you're my only hope.

Volodja

I'm also totally stuck on what talent to take. I'm leaning towards Bloody Slaughter or one of the weapon masteries (probably adventurer.)
I don't like the masteries.
I could always find a better weapon and 6 accuracy doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for now.
It also depends on the class, however.

erawsd

Just not feeling my Monk, I feel like I should cut my losses before I get too far. Anyone progress far with a melee Cipher?

Going through The Endless Paths atm, and Fampyrs can go straight to hell.

Just needed to get that off my chest. Rolled a Monk for my first run and I'm having a blast so far.

Chaos17

Urghhh, is the Temple of Eothas not intended for early groups? Have a party of 3 so far and this 6 skuldr fight (including 2 kings) on the second floor is just absolutely wrecking me.

recruit mercenaries.

Am I the only one playing only with the story companions? I don't want to miss their quest and I feel creating more adventurer is like cheating T.T

You know that cheating mean to do something was not meant by default to use in the a game ?
Which is not the case and damn if it was really cheating those mercenaries would come fully equiped with the lastest gears of our level and not some crap.
I had to level up from scratch 2 mercenaies from level 1 level 3 and damn that took me some time and sweat.
So, personally, I don't think that's cheating also they will come in handy when you will have the stronhold sub missions.

But you've the right to stick to the main story and wait to have recruited your full party.
Just don't use the word cheating where there is no cheat.

Burt

I don't like the masteries.
I could always find a better weapon and 6 accuracy doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for now.
It also depends on the class, however.
I think it makes more sense to assign weapontypes to characters because you're capable of enchanting basic stuff into something that's as strong as most things you find outside of the very best of the best, and with the amount of characters and two weapon sets each, it means that you'll almost always be able to make use of what you find, just not on your player character.

Going through The Endless Paths atm, and Fampyrs can go straight to hell.

Just needed to get that off my chest. Rolled a Monk for my first run and I'm having a blast so far.
They really are the worst.

Varna

Because Joshua Eric Sawyer believes in mechanical balance above realism :p

But really, I can't even get too angry about it considering how great PoE is.

It's not a big deal at the end of the day. But they take care with so many of the mechanics to keep them consistent it's a real shame they just said fuck it with crafting. Maybe you have to pay the blacksmith or a mage to assemble these items... Plenty of ways to do it and not be over "gamey."

EDIT: I mean, come on I need a grappling hook to scale a wall but I don't even need a hammer or any knowledge on smithing to make a sword?

Has anyone found out whether quests are time sensitive at all yet? For example if I have a quest to go find someone in a dungeon and have to leave to heal/resupply am I going to come back to find them dead where they might have lived if I stayed?

Chaos17

No way to scale the first wall with a priest is there? or did I miss something? I want dat loot :(

If you're talking about the body above the wolves pack in the field zone before the village
You need points in attlethics if don't have then recruit the blondy at the first village. He will do the job.

Coming back later in a zone that you couldn't do before isn't a crime in rpgs.
Also, if you fear that the quest as timer, you should not fear since usually the quest will tell you if it's the case like in Baldur's gate.
Unless the devs made the mistake to not do so.

Miletius

Just not feeling my Monk, I feel like I should cut my losses before I get too far. Anyone progress far with a melee Cipher?

I'm playing a melee cipher and I like it a lot. Forewarning though, cipher is pretty squishy, especially at lower levels. I use her as a striker/mezzer. She starts by casting, then goes in after the front line fighters are already engaged.

Top Bottom