• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Altazor

quoting myself from the last page just for context (and if someone wants to help me, thanks :D)

Ok, gotta ask - any good tips for (Act I, Watcher quest)
taking down Maerwald? I enter to his room, have a LENGTHY conversation, lots of info, then he decides to attack me as soon as it's over. And I get #rekt because he has a pretty nasty buff that makes most of my attacks useless? Which spell can I use to bypass that buff? It's a shame that I get crushed, because I don't have any desire to repeat that lengthy conversation again and again

pls halp me GAF, you're my only hope.

So... I decided against it and thought "maybe I'm a bit underpowered now" so I left and started to explore different parts (and get more camping supplies, I was getting low on them).

First, Magran's Fork.
Holy crap, this ugly looking hobo is crazy! But he's useful. I needed a priest. Welcome, Durance. You're still crazy, though.

Then, Anslog's Compass. Man, the music here is beautiful. So is the place, actually. I'd like it even more if it wasn't
a bit overrun by those annoying xaurip
. I quite like it, anyway. And now I
entered a cave and saw some freaky looking humanoid mushrooms and thought "how am I going to defeat them now, hm..."

And that's where I am, actually. This game's amazing, even if I'm only at the beginning.

Super mad right now. Level 5 Od Nua spoilers ahead.

So I'd just finished some light Defiance Bay questing. I have a full party with one Adventurer (Evibutt the Rogue. Guess what portrait I chose for him) me as a monk, Eder, aloth and the Rangers
. So I decide to hit Od Nua up. Get down to level 2 and jump down the sacrificial pit. Only to meet a Drake. After like idk how long I manage to beat him. Retry after Retry. I use my last camping supply and try to make my way back up. Can't do it. I'm low on supplies and spells due to the frequency of encounters. So I have to reload back to BEFORE facing the Drake. Like.. At least an hour and a half of r progress gone. FML. I think I need a priest in my party.

Heinous Hat

Neo Member
Since this is a Unity game, to use GeDoSaTo you need to create a profile for PillarsOfEternity and put this in (replacing the resolution with what you want):
Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

I also suggest Lanczos scaling type. And you need the zoom tweaks in the OP.

I should upload that to github and everything, but I could also play more PoE :p

Durante

Lanczos scaling gives me a blank (white) screen when I cycle to it through scaling options, or set it directly as default in the ini. All the others work though and I can freely switch away from it.

Any special blend of voodoo to get that working? I presume you're using it from your comment...

So I finished the quest on
Temple of Eothas
in Gilded Vale and I'm wondering a thing when you reach the end of the quest you find a place with
lot of candles lit, one of the options I was given was to blown one off but I didn't tried it. Anyone knows what happens if you do? The option didn't showed again to me

marrec

Banned
I am so, so freaking glad I picked Hard to start. I can tell that on any other difficulty it would be entirely too easy. I have to think about some encounters instead of just plowing my way through everything.

I really like this game.

Madouu

So I finished the quest on
Temple of Eothas
in Gilded Vale and I'm wondering a thing when you reach the end of the quest you find a place with
lot of candles lit, one of the options I was given was to blown one off but I didn't tried it. Anyone knows what happens if you do? The option didn't showed again to me

Edér comments on how insensitive you are

I am so, so freaking glad I picked Hard to start. I can tell that on any other difficulty it would be entirely too easy. I have to think about some encounters instead of just plowing my way through everything.

I really like this game.

I won't say normal has been a big challenge so far but it definitely requires you to position your units smartly and use your skills right in most encounters, it's far from just dragging a box and right clicking enemies.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm still stunned at how well they nailed this and how this game somehow exists in 2015. I thought Divinity would make me want this less, but it only took me hearing the first combat music in the game being such a neat callback to BG's themes to make me love it. Obsidian nailed the atmosphere right from the title screen. Hard difficulty seems to be balanced really well and makes an interesting challenge for IE veterans so far.

Also just reached the Goose and the Fox and I'm staying the night. More playing tomorrow. :)

VladTepes

Banned
Anyone who can tell me how to get gedosato running on this on my 1440p monitor receives my eternal love. I've never used the program before and I'm an idiot with this stuff but the character model jaggies are killing me.

VladTepes

Banned
Durante

Lanczos scaling gives me a blank (white) screen when I cycle to it through scaling options, or set it directly as default in the ini. All the others work though and I can freely switch away from it.

Any special blend of voodoo to get that working? I presume you're using it from your comment...

I would donate $5 to based Durante in a heartbeat for a simple .exe incorporating all the stuff necessary to get it working

pahamrick

Is Durance with a gun good?

Very, very good. I've got him using a pistol right now, but soon as I get another Arquebus he's getting it. I keep him just in range enough to heal my tank, and when he's not healing he's buffing / debuffing for big fights. For little fights he just takes pot shots.

Mitch

Banned
Is there anyway not to pull an entire group at once, but just get maybe one or two enemies from a group?
I somehow got lucky while running into a couple of these large forest trolls/treeforms. Ran away quick enough, which somehow separated the two.

Highly doubt that would work with a larger pack, though.

Very, very good. I've got him using a pistol right now, but soon as I get another Arquebus he's getting it. I keep him just in range enough to heal my tank, and when he's not healing he's buffing / debuffing for big fights. For little fights he just takes pot shots.

Are bows equal to guns?

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the answer about the AOE. I'll try to watch for characters glowing to figure out if a spell is friendly-fire or not. I'm glad to hear the yellow expanded AOE does not generally have friendly-fire. Handy.

One stupid question about being in battle: Can you reposition your characters once battle has started to avoid AOE damage? I can right click to see a cursor, but I haven't yet figured out if the characters actually move mid-battle.

I know you can't leave battle entirely without taking disengage attacks or whatever.

Corpekata

Banned
Thanks for the answer about the AOE. I'll try to watch for characters glowing to figure out if a spell is friendly-fire or not. I'm glad to hear the yellow expanded AOE does not generally have friendly-fire. Handy.

One stupid question about being in battle: Can you reposition your characters once battle has started to avoid AOE damage? I can right click to see a cursor, but I haven't yet figured out if the characters actually move mid-battle.

I know you can't leave battle entirely without taking disengage attacks or whatever.

Yes, just left click an area. They might have trouble getting there in crowded fights, blocked by party members or enemies, but you're free to move characters around. Don't want to do it too much with characters that are engaged.

Moving mid battle is a key component in battle in this game. Positioning and repositioning is very important.

Volodja

Just hit my first time the a dude flat out told me "because of your decent relationship with this other faction, I can't keep associating with you. Even if our relationship is as good."

I don't even particularly like the other faction. Well, I don't particularly like this one either, to be fair.
At least I know I'd have some fresh content for an alternate playthrough.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes, just left click an area. They might have trouble getting there in crowded fights, blocked by party members or enemies, but you're free to move characters around. Don't want to do it too much with characters that are engaged.
Thanks. I saw a beginner's guide mention something about "engagement" areas, so I'm guessing if you move too far from an enemy that enaged you, you'll take the disenagement attack(s)?

Another question, I somehow ended up with one of my party's portraits slightly higher than the others. I've discovered that I can left click drag the order around, and right click drag portraits vertically up. What does it mean if a portrait is dragged up?

Thanks. I saw a beginner's guide mention something about "engagement" areas, so I'm guessing if you move too far from an enemy that enaged you, you'll take the disenagement attack(s)?

Another question, I somehow ended up with one of my party's portraits slightly higher than the others. I've discovered that I can left click drag the order around, and right click drag portraits vertically up. What does it mean if a portrait is dragged up?
The position of the portraits are the position they go in the formation. The person at the top (from left to rigbf) will usually take the front position in the formation. There is a button on the center hotbar area at the bottom where you can change formation.

Blizzard

Banned
The position of the portraits are the position they go in the formation. The person at the top (from left to rigbf) will usually take the front position in the formation. There is a button on the center hotbar area at the bottom where you can change formation.
That makes sense, but what does the vertical position mean, high versus low?

[Asmodean]

Don't suppose anyone has figuired out how to rebind the 0-9 keys, yet?. For keybinding abilities, etc. Currently using the f keys, but they're seriously not as compy ;p

Napophis

Super mad right now. Level 5 Od Nua spoilers ahead.

So I'd just finished some light Defiance Bay questing. I have a full party with one Adventurer (Evibutt the Rogue. Guess what portrait I chose for him) me as a monk, Eder, aloth and the Rangers
. So I decide to hit Od Nua up. Get down to level 2 and jump down the sacrificial pit. Only to meet a Drake. After like idk how long I manage to beat him. Retry after Retry. I use my last camping supply and try to make my way back up. Can't do it. I'm low on supplies and spells due to the frequency of encounters. So I have to reload back to BEFORE facing the Drake. Like.. At least an hour and a half of r progress gone. FML. I think I need a priest in my party.

If you walk around level 5, you'll find a master staircase that will take you back up to level 1. There is also a master staircase on Level 3

Conezays

Question/Spoilers about first town:
I think I gave an answer that prevents Eder from wanting to speak to me further. Does this mean he can't join?

Everyone calm down

Here's how to fix your characters if they are bugged (without replaying the game :p):
  1. Get the "IE mod" from here to enable the required console commands.
  2. Open the console and type "FindCharacter [NAME]" to find the ID for each affected character.
  3. Use "AddAbility [ID] [ABILITY_ID]" to re-add abilities. You can find ability ids from the file names in the [eternity]\PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles\prefabs\objectbundle folder. E.g. "tln_blast" is the blast talent id.

This seems to add everything as an ability instead of a talent, so now even things like arms bearer are listed under talents. I suppose it's better than restarting my entire game.

But this is such a pain in the ass.

Pilgrimzero

So I killed
Raedric
after a grueling fight. The Chanter's Phantom summon is GOLD. Anyways, the
new lord said I could take whatever I want from the treasury, well where is that?

Grazzt

Ok, just killed the
spider queen in the dungeon of the keep
, but it said it killed herself, and I didn't get any xp... Wtf?

Gyoru

Durante

Backup your /config/ folder, delete everything Gedosato related, and do a fresh Gedosato install.

Lanczos scaling works after I did that, which is a great because bilinear scaling made the interface a blurry mess.

Gvaz

Banned
If you're talking about the body above the wolves pack in the field zone before the village
You need points in attlethics if don't have then recruit the blondy at the first village. He will do the job.

Coming back later in a zone that you couldn't do before isn't a crime in rpgs.
Also, if you fear that the quest as timer, you should not fear since usually the quest will tell you if it's the case like in Baldur's gate.
Unless the devs made the mistake to not do so.

How do I get him? I talked to him once and now he wont say anything new to me.

Also even on easy this game is hard :| I usually go hard for every game but this game...

I played eight straight hours last night and another eight hours today. What an incredible game. I love love love the character concept for Sagani. It's a shame she's not a good fit for my party. Maybe I can figure out a way to make her more useful.

Top Bottom